Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

Interesting you ask for Prime Trailers. I was watching a few trailers on Prime a week ago and encountered the absolute worst audio I’d ever heard. When I figured out what was happening, the channel mapping was all wrong. All dialogue was coming out of the right rear surround. I watched the trailer a second time and it worked properly but when I left the app and moved to other content, the sub and rears had dropped. Only time I’ve seen that mapping problem occur

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

Interesting you ask for Prime Trailers. I was watching a few trailers on Prime a week ago and encountered the absolute worst audio I’d ever heard. When I figured out what was happening, the channel mapping was all wrong. All dialogue was coming out of the right rear surround. I watched the trailer a second time and it worked properly but when I left the app and moved to other content, the sub and rears had dropped. Only time I’ve seen that mapping problem occur

Very interesting @Freddy45764 - whilst I have been testing I seem to be able to trigger the issue (although it is not consistent) when I move between Prime (watch a trailer) and back to Apple TV or Netflix and it seems to occur. Again, not always the case, but a pattern of note for sure. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I got a good feeling 

So far so good. I’ve been switching between PS5 and Shield (tried both DTS and Dolby movies).

I think this is too good to be true. If this issue was known by Sonos (and they fixed in 14.8) why would their Engineering team be going through the motions with me and looking at the error? Surely they would just say it's going to be fixed in 14.8 and stop this thread from evolving. 

Sub and rears just stopped working in Blade Runner 2049.

Also, submit a diagnostic as well.  Ill try and reference tomorrow during my testing and discussion with the Engineer. Let me know the number @arcosin. Thank you.

I'm gonna try to power cycle everything. Maybe I should've after the update. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

any particular trailers?

I was watching ‘The Contractor’ trailer in Amazon Prime a few times and found (on more cases than not after a few flicks) that this triggered the issue. 

Issue occurred before I even go to the trailer. Sigh 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

any particular trailers?

I was watching ‘The Contractor’ trailer in Amazon Prime a few times and found (on more cases than not after a few flicks) that this triggered the issue. 

What did you do to get the issue @peterbault?  Interested in what you were doing when it triggered for comparison…….

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

any particular trailers?

What did you do to get the issue @peterbault?  Interested in what you were doing when it triggered for comparison…….

TV was off and I just turned it on 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

GIVE US THE OPTION TO ROLL BACK TO 14.6!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

14.6 started this endless nightmare. We need the one before that. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi All,

An update on progress so far.

Thanks, this is the most encouraging update I’ve heard. Please let us know how you continue to make out if you’re able. Makes me feel like Sonos is taking this seriously and at least looking in the right direction. Seems totally plausible based on my observations. 

I don’t think it’s an issue with HDMI CEC.  I’m able to trigger the surrounds to desync/drop just by pausing playback from Plex.  I don’t need to ever change inputs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

14.6 started this endless nightmare. We need the one before that. 

Rollback to whatever the last clean update was…

A)You'll give your customers some temporary relief

B)If the reports of this issue stop, you know it's a Sonos problem 100%

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

sorry if I got anyones hopes up

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

OK, for my next experiment (before tomorrows discussion with the Engineer) I have just completely wired my whole system into the network. For complete clarity, this now means.

1. Apple TV - Ethernet Connected.
  2. Panasonic TV - Ethernet Connected.
  3. Sonos ARC -Ethernet Connected.
  4. 2 x Subs - Ethernet Connected.
  5. 2 x Sonos One Surrounds - Ethernet Connected.

All Wi-Fi has been disabled, and I am about to reboot everything for good measure. I am going to go through my ‘test script’ tonight once the wife has gone out! 😁

If this is really a CEC problem, then I should be able to replicate as it should cause it regardless of Wi-Fi or hard wiring. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

sorry if I got anyones hopes up

Don't apologise, my hopes were up as well. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The lack of acknowledgement here is insane. Not sure why more blogs/news outlets aren’t reporting on the issue. This is a fundemental failure in development/testing/process surely. Honestly would be so much happier waiting if Sonos were more transparent with the issue. I scoffed at the few people in here raising pitchforks so early on, but I’m starting to side with them now as there’s seemingly no end in sight. This is not what you expect from such an expensive product ecosystem & ‘premium’ brand. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

someone replied to one of my reddit comments with a workaround that I posted in here 🙃

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The lack of acknowledgement here is insane. Not sure why more blogs/news outlets aren’t reporting on the issue. This is a fundemental failure in development/testing/process surely. Honestly would be so much happier waiting if Sonos were more transparent with the issue. I scoffed at the few people in here raising pitchforks so early on, but I’m starting to side with them now as there’s seemingly no end in sight. This is not what you expect from such an expensive product ecosystem & ‘premium’ brand. 

100%. Also, people must be aware of this issue before buying a surround system. I'm positive that no one would buy it if they knew in advance about the issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

someone replied to one of my reddit comments with a workaround that I posted in here 🙃

Yikes. Is that where this clown car is at?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I am just going to keep going until this gets solved.

It's now become a driver for me to get this addressed.

When Sonos is working, it is a great system.

I just have to keep the faith and keep going, and going and going…….

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sorry mines still OK 

Testing over for me as it's xbox night will carry on tomorrow though and post back what happens 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

OK, for my next experiment (before tomorrows discussion with the Engineer) I have just completely wired my whole system into the network. For complete clarity, this now means.

1. Apple TV - Ethernet Connected.
  2. Panasonic TV - Ethernet Connected.
  3. Sonos ARC -Ethernet Connected.
  4. 2 x Subs - Ethernet Connected.
  5. 2 x Sonos One Surrounds - Ethernet Connected.

All Wi-Fi has been disabled, and I am about to reboot everything for good measure. I am going to go through my ‘test script’ tonight once the wife has gone out! 😁

If this is really a CEC problem, then I should be able to replicate as it should cause it regardless of Wi-Fi or hard wiring. 

It's odd that you keep mentioning CEC, because now that I think of it, I am seeing a temporary random half second notification from my TV that CEC is disconnected, then another one immediately that it has reconnected. Never had this before and is just doing it recently. I'll have to pay more attention if all hell is breaking loose after the CEC blip happens. Nice catch.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It's odd that you keep mentioning CEC, because now that I think of it, I am seeing a temporary random half second notification from my TV that CEC is disconnected, then another one immediately that it has reconnected. Never had this before and is just doing it recently. I'll have to pay more attention if all hell is breaking loose after the CEC blip happens. Nice catch.

That is very interesting indeed, thank you for sharing that. Its the little things that help you close in….

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hang on, your TV tells you that CEC is not working @Missionsparta?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

That is very interesting indeed, thank you for sharing that. Its the little things that help you close in….

Hey, sounds like you are doing all the heavy lifting. If I had twenty ethernet cables running all over the place, my wife would move out until the show was done.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Again, I’m doubtful CEC is the culprit.  I have a 100% repro following these steps:

1. Turn on TV via NVIDIA Shield Remote
  2. Launch Plex
  3. Start a movie (I’ve been using Thunderball with DTS 5.1 as I was trying to watch it last weekend)
  4. Check all subs and surrounds and confirm that they are all active and in sync
  5. Press pause on the Shield Remote (NOTE: This is a bluetooth remote and Pause is an application-level control that merely pauses the Plex player, no HDMI CEC commands should be transmitted)
  6. Press resume and observe that either 1) surrounds are desynched and echoing or 2) surrounds and/or subs are silent

This repros 100%, inside of a single app on a single source playing back a single video with a single codec.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I was skeptical but I’m going to turn off HDMI CEC on my Apple TV and see if that helps