Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hey, sounds like you are doing all the heavy lifting. If I had twenty ethernet cables running all over the place, my wife would move out until the show was done.

Her bags are packed, and she is not talking to me. Its pretty close. 😁

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

if you’ve been following along, my 2nd system that has NEVER experienced this issue I have always had HDMI CEC turned off on all my devices because I find with multiple game consoles it just doesn’t work well so if CEC is the culprit that would be interesting

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just got the issue with CEC turned off. i’m tired

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

It's odd that you keep mentioning CEC, because now that I think of it, I am seeing a temporary random half second notification from my TV that CEC is disconnected, then another one immediately that it has reconnected. Never had this before and is just doing it recently. I'll have to pay more attention if all hell is breaking loose after the CEC blip happens. Nice catch.

Hang on, your TV tells you that CEC is not working @Missionsparta?

I get a disconnect error for it. Not sure the exact wording, but I'm going to pay more attention.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry - false hope.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Sorry - false hope.

CEC is so flakey I probably really should turn it off and then power cycle TV and apple tv and all sonos to really make sure I tested it thoroughly but I have to actually do some work today 😅

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry - false hope.

CEC is so flakey I probably really should turn it off and then power cycle TV and apple tv and all sonos to really make sure I tested it thoroughly but I have to actually do some work today 😅

I thought this was our job?!?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@skullc - your system still operating as normal?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

It's odd that you keep mentioning CEC, because now that I think of it, I am seeing a temporary random half second notification from my TV that CEC is disconnected, then another one immediately that it has reconnected. Never had this before and is just doing it recently. I'll have to pay more attention if all hell is breaking loose after the CEC blip happens. Nice catch.

Hang on, your TV tells you that CEC is not working @Missionsparta?

I get a disconnect error for it. Not sure the exact wording, but I'm going to pay more attention.

Please let me know @Missionsparta - it could be something (no matter how small) I can feed into the Engineering discussion. At the moment, I just need to keep collecting evidence. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sorry - false hope.

Even if you disable CEC functionality through settings I don’t think you can completely prevent most devices from communicating with the CEC bus. Where turning it off doesn’t solve a problem you can actually buy an HDMI adapter that blocks the CEC pin completely. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Sorry - false hope.

Even if you disable CEC functionality through settings I don’t think you can completely prevent most devices from communicating with the CEC bus. Where turning it off doesn’t solve a problem you can actually buy an HDMI adapter that blocks the CEC pin completely. 

yeah i noticed even when I turned it “off” on Apple TV, the device still showed up under the device list under Bravia Sync settings. I hate HDMI SEC so much

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry - false hope.

yeah i noticed even when I turned it “off” on Apple TV, the device still showed up under the device list under Bravia Sync settings. I hate HDMI SEC so much

Did you turn it off at the TV level as well Peter?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Sorry - false hope.

you have to have CEC enabled on your TV to use any HDMI ARC speakers

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Wow, well that's not something you see often in a Sonos Wireless System…..

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Got it.  So I guess there is still some good value in me pursuing the CEC error with Sonos Engineering?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Got it.  So I guess there is still some good value in me pursuing the CEC error with Sonos Engineering?

absolutely

Userlevel 2
Badge

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. For me what works as a quick reset is to stop and start the wifi on the arc. 

I have it hard wired, and turning of and then back on allways gets me the sub and surrounds back.

FYI, is have an LG B8, a shield tv pro 2019 , an arcana hdfury and an arc with two subs and two symfonisk lights. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am just going to keep going until this gets solved.

It's now become a driver for me to get this addressed.

When Sonos is working, it is a great system.

I just have to keep the faith and keep going, and going and going…….

Thanks for remaining positive. I am honestly tired. I keep coming back to this thread to see if there is any progress. Attempts to isolate this issue as being caused by anything other than Sonos’s 14.6 firmware update (and beyond) only seem to further clarify that it is not a third party issue. I 100% agree with you that when it works, and it has never not worked for me until now, Sonos is a fantastic system. I just hope they are able to resolve this as we are now past the 1 month mark.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. For me what works as a quick reset is to stop and start the wifi on the arc. 

I have it hard wired, and turning of and then back on allways gets me the sub and surrounds back.

FYI, is have an LG B8, a shield tv pro 2019 , an arcana hdfury and an arc with two subs and two symfonisk lights. 

this makes sense as IIRC turning off wifi while wired completely disables the wireless radio (even if you have surrounds and subs attached). thank you for this I prefer it to pulling out the power cable constantly

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

OK everyone, so the schedule is this:

1. Tonight - everything is hard wired and I am going to go through my testing pattern for several hours and try to replicate the issue. This will hopefully produce the issue or not and then that is something I can feed into future discussions. (Bearing in mind, that I can consistently replicate the issue using Wi-Fi). 
  2. Tomorrow (Weds) - I am going to undo all I have done tonight and then continue fault finding with Sonos Engineering. 

I will, as always, report back here as soon as there is something to report. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

this makes sense as IIRC turning off wifi while wired completely disables the wireless radio (even if you have surrounds and subs attached). thank you for this I prefer it to pulling out the power cable constantly

Good tip @rsint - I will try that next time myself. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m gonna try to unplug the Shield for the next upcoming days and keep only the PS5 connected.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thanks for remaining positive. I am honestly tired. I keep coming back to this thread to see if there is any progress. Attempts to isolate this issue as being caused by anything other than Sonos’s 14.6 firmware update (and beyond) only seem to further clarify that it is not a third party issue. I 100% agree with you that when it works, and it has never not worked for me until now, Sonos is a fantastic system. I just hope they are able to resolve this as we are now past the 1 month mark.

I am going to contribute to the resolution even if it kills me…………

……….. and then I am going to make sure Auto Update if off everything from the Apple TV right through to the Sonos Speakers. 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I usually always have auto update off but I still immediately manually update as soon as they’re available. I’ll definitely hold off on Sonos updates in the future once this is fixed

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am just going to keep going until this gets solved.

It's now become a driver for me to get this addressed.

When Sonos is working, it is a great system.

I just have to keep the faith and keep going, and going and going…….

The end of the nightmare is close at hand for me...