Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Userlevel 4
Badge
Sonos,

After all this waiting. And after multiple articles. And after multiple phone calls to your service reps (including today), I’m now being told that you cannot group your Sonos system devices with your Google Home devices (after being told for months and more than a year that the aid be able to group them). Even the rep I spoke with today tried to help me and didn’t find out it wasn’t possible until he spoke to a system engineer. You can do it with Amazon devices, but STILL not with Google devices

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 May 2019, 00:50

View original

218 replies

Yes, just bought a sonos Setup for the living room and naively thought ( like the "expert" in the Shop told me) sonos with integrated google assistant could be integrated into a google home multiroom Setup (or google speakers into the sonos multiroom setup). But After some reseach i found this thread and the unhappx info that sonos would need to Support chromecast...

Now I am a bit dissapointet, is sonos Planung some Kind of compatibility to the chromecast multiroom audio or do i have to finally clinch between google/chromecast devices and sonos devices?
Thanks Roman for bringing this up, i had the same expectation of being able to add my sonos speaker to a google speaker group. Hopefully it will be possible in the near future.
Not to pile on here, but count me as another disappointed customer. I bought my recent Sonos setup under the assumption that I would be able to add them to my other speaker groups within Google Home. Now, when I play music in my "Upstairs" group, for example, my living room has only my dinky Google Home rather than my Playbar/2xPlay:1 to add to the chorus.

Essentially my Sonos will only be used for the TV, which is a huge waste.
Over a year ago I posted on the message board expressing my disappointment in the lack of integration . Many users felt I was being too harsh saying they had only promised integration sometime in 2018. They missed the integration time by 6 months and provided a sub-par integration. They were saying also that it could be Google slowing the process, but based on the number of compatible products coming out, I highly doubt Google is the bottleneck.

Time to switch speakers.
Why is it companies always go 98% of the way of giving customers the functionality that they actually need? When thinking through this product what was the thought process?

Customers want a voice controlled speak? Yes!
Customers want to connect it to google assistant? Yes!
Customers want to add it to a group of speaks they will most likely already have at home? Yes, but lets not give them that.

It's unfinished business. It's totally solvable. Sort it out with Google.

I bought a new Sonos One today but I'll be taking it back as for me, like many many other people, this is a critical feature of . a voice controlled speaker.
Being able to form a speaker group with my google home speakers is literally the only reason I bought this Sonos One. I am very, very disappointed to discover this is not possible and feel tricked that it was never called out in any of the product literature
Same situation here - presumed you could form grups with the google, now I'm stuck with 3 google speakers and one other on it's way. Feels like the sonos speaker wont be used.
Badge
Damnit, should have read this topic sooner. Just bought two Sonos One to group them with the Naim muso 2 and didn't understand why I couldn't do it on google assistant.

So sadly, it will be a refund :/

Exactly same situation... Going to bring my Sonos back.

Another downside is that I cannot even use the built in Google assistant as it is not supported in my country. Looks like I have to continue using my Google home + Chromecast + Marshall stanmore connected through TV. I saw that Harman kardon has similar speaker... I wonder if they can be grouped or chosen as primary speaker.
Userlevel 2
The only thing holding me back from purchasing these speakers today is the lack of chromecast built-in. I keep checking back to see if it will be integrated in a future update.
.Had planned to outfit my home with Sonos. For somebody in Google home ecosystem the Sonos app and lack of integration with streaming services feels limited, for example can't do Economist or as somebody else mentioned BBC. I'd guess most Sonos buyers willing to pay premium are not audiophiles and don't take the 'best experience/audio only if you use our app' claims that seriously. Just want some speakers that sound and look good, integrate easily, dummyproof for wife and kids and don't require a separate clumsy app trying to replicate what Google home already does perfectly. I'm with the others, returning and buying a bunch of Google home maxes. Only posting out of frustration because it took me a while to figure all this out and it seems so basic I couldn't believe it actually isn't an option.
The only thing holding me back from purchasing these speakers today is the lack of chromecast built-in. I keep checking back to see if it will be integrated in a future update.

I am already invested but Chromecast is what I'm really missing with this system. Grouping with a Google home would allow casting and I'd by one to cut down on cords but trying to cast sound from a projector is my goal and apple iOS is not a direction I would ever go due to its limitations.
Another one for the pile of disappointment here.

I have a play 1 already and recently discovered google assistant and the google home products, I was excited when I found that google home picked up my sonos and that I could now look to expand my sonos enterprise by integrating both the varying sonos and google products I want throughout the house.

I quickly found that I couldn’t get music playing both through my google home mini in the kitchen and the sonos 1 on the front room. This has halted the likely purchase of an extra sonos and a sonos sound bar for our TV and I’ll be looking into other products or the google home max instead to expand out now unless sonos can 100% commit to changing the grouping ability.
All of this waiting for crap. Goggle assistant can cast to ONE. A year ago I found a sync and work around with Chromecast. It even allow for syncing the speaker delay coming from other rooms. Why can we create groups?
Most definitely disappointing that Sonos-Google “integration” does not allow:
  1. grouping of Sonos and Google speakers
  2. control of Sonos grouping by voice.
This is particularly disappointing because the work-around that I used prior to “integration” did allow 1. by using chromecast as a line-in source to Sonos. Seems that the work-around had better functionality than the “integration”.

Add my vote for 1. and 2. above. Or at least tell us if it’s not going to happen.
+1 here.
I would have to return my buying if the real Sonos-Google integration isn't going to happen.

+1

very disappointed… I have bought Sonos beam and google home speakers today and I’m not able to group them to have a control over google assistant. It seems like I have to return it and replace by deon heos which seems to have that integration. 

+1

very disappointed… I have bought Sonos beam and google home speakers today and I’m not able to group them to have a control over google assistant. It seems like I have to return it and replace by deon heos which seems to have that integration. 

You sure about that?  First I’ve heard of it.  Did a quick search and saw nothing about it.  If you aren’t a 100% sure, I’d contact Denon before having to return another speaker.  Actually, I’d get that answer before you return the Beam, as you may find the Beam is your best option, even if it doesn’t do all that you want.

Wish I had found this thread earlier, just got one of those Ikea Sonos speakers yesterday, had issues connecting to my Google WiFi (no other device has ever had issues with that), to the Google home account and after I tried this morning and finally added the speaker to Google home... I can't play anything on it from Google home and can't add them to the same group. One thing I hate about companies are walled gardens, just like apple and I think Sonos is walking in their footsteps. I guess I'll stick with my 10 years old Logitech z2300 connected to Google audio, sounds great even after all these years. Gonna return the Sonos piece of junk. 

Same frustration. Home is networked through google. Waited months for the integration. Every other third party speaker I own can be grouped using Google (unlike Amazon/Alexa groups), and their spokespeople have been telling press this would be part of the functionality. Hugely frustrated to have my highest quality speaker disconnected from my home and rarely used as a result. I would like Sonos to be definitive - one way or the other - on whether this basic feature is on the roadmap.

I follow the press about Sonos pretty closely, and I never saw this type of feature touted as part of the functionality. Furthermore, I wouldn't expect it to be, because you cannot do it with Alexa devices either. I'm curious if you can provide links to these press statements?

Couldn’t have put it better myself - seems like they have omitted a basic feature and it is very frustrating for people with Sonos speakers and very much into the Google ecosystem. Question is do you slowly switch to the Apple ecosystem or slowly switch the Sonos speakers for alternative high-end speakers (which are more Google Cast friendly)?

Userlevel 2

I, as well, have been checking these posts over the past few months. I'm holding off buying the sonos ones, subwoofer, and playbar until I see a note of integration expectations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I can’t see this ever happening, at least if you want the music on grouped speakers to be in sync.

Couldn’t have put it better myself - seems like they have omitted a basic feature and it is very frustrating for people with Sonos speakers and very much into the Google ecosystem. Question is do you slowly switch to the Apple ecosystem or slowly switch the Sonos speakers for alternative high-end speakers (which are more Google Cast friendly)?

Apple ecosystem?  In this context, do you mean airplay?

Apple ecosystem?  In this context, do you mean airplay?

Yes. Airplay 2 is fully supported.

Hi Roman, sorry to hear it took you so long to find your answers. You're correct, the current integration brings Google Assistant to Sonos devices with built in microphones, and it allows you to control what's playing using Google Home devices. However, Sonos devices and Google devices are unable to be grouped together to play the same thing in sync. Also, there isn't currently the ability to set a Sonos device as a preferred speaker within the Google Home app.

This is just the beginning of our integration with Google Assistant and we're looking forward to making improvements as we go, but I don't have any specifics I can share on what's next, or if either of those things are on the list. We'll be sure to tell everyone when changes are made, so you can always watch out for announcements on our board here, or elsewhere.

This needs to happen. This is barely a smart speaker without this feature.

Userlevel 1

only feature keeping me from splurging on a full home sonos sytem. The moment this feature goes live, I go shopping.