Skip to main content

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

Not sure I understand what you’re saying, @Eldorkable …

@Airgetlam   Based on the solutions others have discovered in the comments. The easiest solution would be to add any blutooth supported sonos device to the same grouping as your other Sonos devices. Except i dont have a blutooth supported device, so i would need to go a purchase one to use a feature that was removed a week ago. 

Other solutions is to upload all my phone music to a network storage system, which would require my computer to be on 24/7 and i would need to upload all new songs manually. 

Its alot of extra work and money to use a simple feature, that up until last week i was able to use simply through the app.

I have a Samsung SSD plugged into my router which shares it. It's the best way in my opinion though you do need a little bit of technical savy. Not sure why people don't do this a their go to method.

I don't really want to use my phone to do it.

For one, you would need a router that supports such a function. I don't think mine does. 

It's been a pretty common feature for quite a while. Would have thought it would be odd not to have it, at least where I am.

I checked mine and even though it has a usb port it can't be used for much other than a sim dongle. I assume that's how yours is connected? 

Yep. Samsung external SSD into the USB port. Turn on USB sharing and good to go. My latest router sharing is a bit basic as far as I can tell, you can't share sub folders, but for Sonos I just add the music folder to the network path. 

Been doing it this way for years. Once it's set up you can forget about it pretty much.

Hopefully, a class action lawsuit materializes. How dare they disable my device? Does anybody have suggestions for a user-friendly speaker to replace the bulky paperweight that I now own?

Did the tone-deaf developers have a legitimate reason for taking this user-unfriendly action?

I found that the speaker on my Samsung Galaxy is good enough for my singing practice. Now to find a sledgehammer to smash my Sonos to smithereens. 

I found that the speaker on my Samsung Galaxy is good enough for my singing practice. Now to find a sledgehammer to smash my Sonos to smithereens. 

Can you film it and post on here, just to prove you do it, please? 

Why not sell it so you can buy a better microphone, or get an agent to further your singing career?

What i do wonder i why they got rid of it now? Why on the 23rd of May? It seems a bit random. I haven't seen any big Android update on my phone or something. I think thy could have supported it longer. 

If I did, it would be something like this

Why not sell it so you can buy a better microphone, or get an agent to further your singing career?

I'm not selling the sledgehammer because I need it to destroy the Sonos.

Now you say “if I did…”. Does that now mean you’re not going to do it? 

I checked mine and even though it has a usb port it can't be used for much other than a sim dongle. I assume that's how yours is connected? 

Did you actually login to your router to check? I just looked at a router and it only mentioned USB sharing in the manual. The main page only mentioned 4g modem use with the USB port.

No, i Googled my router and read that other people asked and tried the same and replies were that it wasn't possible with this model. 

Now you say “if I did…”. Does that now mean you’re not going to do it? 

If I filmed it and posted here. 🤗

No, i Googled my router and read that other people asked and tried the same and replies were that it wasn't possible with this model. 

Digging further it seems with my brand that if you go cheaper you get only modern support. If you go more expensive you also get print server support.

At least digging further showed me where I was going wrong with my new router sharing setup. I didn't really want to be sharing the whole drive. Now it's sorted.

Sonos is history as far as I am concerned

Sony to the rescue

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Sony to the rescue

If all you purchased Sonos for is the functionality of that linked speaker, you got ripped off real bad,  

Sony to the rescue

If all you purchased Sonos for is the functionality of that linked speaker, you got ripped off real bad,  

Oh, rue the day when I, the unsuspecting customer, embraced the digital delight crafted by the hands of Sonos. Like a modern-day Ulysses, I embarked on this voyage of technological discovery, armed with an optimism as robust as the plastic-encased marvel that was meant to transform my life. Yet, just as the mythical sirens lured the hapless hero with their enchanting melodies, your promises of cutting-edge functionality drew me in, only to lead me to the shoals of disappointment.

Ah, Sonos, you are not just an electronic device manufacturer, but an artist of paradoxes. Your latest update, an ironic masterpiece that snatched away the very functionalities that made me part with my hard-earned cash. A software update or a grand heist of features? I wonder.

As if inspired by the wily trickster god Loki himself, you presented us with a 'feature update' that was nothing short of a devious sleight of hand. There I was, basking in the glow of your device's once impeccable prowess, only to find that your so-called upgrade transformed my trusty sidekick into a mere shadow of its former self.

With a single swipe of your corporate pen, you altered the terms of our tacit contract. No longer could I enjoy the pleasures once offered by your device, replaced instead by an array of tantalizingly inaccessible icons, a maddening reminder of what was and what could no longer be.

Does your corporate conscience sit by the river Lethe? Have you forgotten the covenant between maker and consumer? Or did you simply discard it, as casually as you stripped the appealing functionalities from your device? A more cynical soul might call it a breach of trust. I, however, prefer to call it an unexpected plot twist in our digital drama.

Now, I look upon your device, an expensive paperweight twinkling with the ghost of promises unfulfilled. It stands as a monument to the arrogance of its creators - a Pandora's box of digital deceit that, once opened, can never be closed.

And yet, in this bleak landscape of lost functions and broken trust, I offer you applause, dear Sonos. For in your audacious disregard for consumer satisfaction, you have composed a tragicomic symphony that resonates with the hollow echo of missed opportunities. You have transformed a mundane act of consumption into an existential exploration of the human condition.

So here's a toast to you, Sonos, the maestro of digital disappointment. You have inadvertently produced a masterclass in consumer disillusionment.

To paraphrase the wise bard: "Baited, with the falsest bait that ever caught a careful buyer." Such is the song of Sonos, a tune as haunting as it is unforgettable. Your symphony plays on, maestro, but do note, the audience may not wait around for the encore.

pThanks to ChatGPT for perfectly articulating my emotions.]

lol. I didn't buy a playbase and play 1s to connect by Bluetooth. I leave that for when I play something as I go for a walk.

I have de-installed the Sonos app from my phone and powered off my Sonos player forever. I feel free. “Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.” I must confess I do not own a sledgehammer, so I'll just tip the device into the bin of electronic waste in the garage. Goodbye, beautiful people. May you have music forever or at least until Sonos yanks it away.