Skip to main content

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

So just to recap: you’re still blaming Sonos because the folk responsible for a totally different, non-Sonos product have removed a feature that Sonos used.

Yes, it’s disappointing - as it was when a similar feature went for IOS users, some years ago. 

Fair enough, though. Bye-bye. 

Good Lord, the melodrama. 

If information comes to light that it was Google not Sonos that disabled functionality on my Android phone, then I will unreservedly apologize for the melodrama.

If information comes to light that it was Google not Sonos that disabled functionality on my Android phone, then I will unreservedly apologize for the melodrama.

No matter who disabled what, you're always responsible for your behaviour.

No matter who disabled what, you're always responsible for your behaviour.

Absolutely. And if information comes to light that it was Google not Sonos that disabled functionality on my phone, then I will redirect the firehose of wrath at Google.

And if information comes to light that it was Google not Sonos that disabled functionality on my phone, then I will redirect the firehose of wrath at Google.

Do not go into hiding. You're accountable for what you wrote, independent of what others might have done or said.

For me this is the nail in the coffin. The feature to play from my device - phone made Sonos more accessible than ever and truly game changing. The removal of this makes no sense. I'm fairly old school and still keep to my old DJ routes - I download my music, the music I like and want to listen to. Spotify and other just don't do it. I do this mainly through my phone and pc. If I wanted a feature to only Bluetooth music to my speaker I'd do it though a much cheaper system than Sonos. Not to mention I live in an area where BT Guarantee a 2mbs service! I will look to swap my system out before my current Sonos gets too old. Poor show Sonos.

I would just like to say now that sonos has removed  the my device access to android what a utterly useless piece of kit this speaker system has become. Will now be buying a different system. 

Wow. People really don't understand how Sonos works. I just can't imagine spending the coin on Sonos and not setting up some sort of media library whether it be a NAS or router.

Perhaps Sonos should have sent a message through the app when it went on Apple devices. They writing has been on the wall for a long time.

I'm hoping that a class action lawsuit materializes. Until the mandatory app update, certain functionality (that was  part of the product when I purchased it) was removed without my consent. There was no technical reason (such as an Android update) for Sonos to do it. Is "removing functionality" covered by the Terms and Conditions?

I'm hoping that a class action lawsuit materializes. Until the mandatory app update, certain functionality (that was  part of the product when I purchased it) was removed without my consent. There was no technical reason (such as an Android update) for Sonos to do it. Is "removing functionality" covered by the Terms and Conditions?

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Like most software, your Sonos EULA explictly states "Sonos reserves the right to discontinue access to and/or support for any third party service, content or technology at any time, and for any reason."  This is just one clause, there are several pertaining to third party content and services.  

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Like most software, your Sonos EULA explictly states "Sonos reserves the right to discontinue access to and/or support for any third party service, content or technology at any time, and for any reason."  This is just one clause, there are several pertaining to third party content and services.  

This clause covers services, content, and technology provided by third parties, not technology provided by Sonos.

This clause covers services, content, and technology provided by third parties, not technology provided by Sonos.

So Sonos provided the music files (content) you are trying to play, and the operating system (technology) which gives access  to those files?  Wow, who knew?   

So Sonos provided the music files (content) you are trying to play, and the operating system (technology) which gives access  to those files?  Wow, who knew?   

The plain meaning of the clause is that Hulu reserves the right to subtract third-party music streaming services from its lineup, even such giants as Spotify. To read any other meaning to this clause could lead to conclusions like "Sonos reserves the right to make its software completely non-functional."

The plain meaning of the clause is that Hulu reserves the right to subtract third-party music streaming services from its lineup, even such giants as Spotify. To read any other meaning to this clause could lead to conclusions like "Sonos reserves the right to make its software completely non-functional."

I meant "Sonos reserves the right ..."

So is the only way to play music on my Ikea Symfonisk speaker now to pay for a music streaming service?

It seems for this feature Sonos was depending on Google technology, that seems to have changed. Legally this will be OK, though you are free to try and sue. Please don’t though, because Sonos will need funds and spend time on this that is better spent elsewhere,

Complaining about this will not help. So try something else. Use a NAS, try iBroadcast or Plex. The last two options will even let you play more than 65k songs.

So is the only way to play music on my Ikea Symfonisk speaker now to pay for a music streaming service?

There are lots of free services/stations. Go to Settings/Services and voice. Add a service such as Radioplayer and TuneIn. Then choose stations and stream that source to your speaker. For your own music, set up an NAS or use any music on your pc/Mac via the Music Library feature of Sonos. 

Also from the EULA: 

Software Updates. Sonos shall have no obligation to provide any updates or upgrades to any aspect of the Product or Services. Sonos, at its discretion, may make available future Product Software Updates. In the event that Sonos does provide such update or upgrade, such updates or upgrades and any related documentation shall be deemed the Product. The Product Software Updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Sonos releases for newer or other models of Product. The terms of this Agreement will govern any Product Software Updates provided by Sonos, unless such Product Software Update is accompanied by a separate agreement, in which case You agree that the terms of that agreement will govern.

I read elsewhere on this forum you can upload up to 100.000 tracks to Youtube Music (free). I’m trying out iBroadcast myself. I use Plex too.

I meant "Sonos reserves the right ..."

So “Sonos reserves the right” to let Hulu do what it wants?  What utter nonsense.  And how different from that is “Sonos reserves the right to remove Android streaming from its platform”?  Unless somehow Sonos owns or controls Android?  

Besides, as I said there are multiple clauses in the EULA dealing with the continuation of current functionality and performance, and none of them favor the consumer.  It’s the very nature of a EULA.  

So i understand correctly that Plex is just the software that you run the NAS with (so you still need to buy a NAS) or is it the place tou upload the files too lije say Google Drive or YouTube Music? 

In the Terms and Conditions, it seems that Sonos reserves the right to subtract music streaming services from its lineup, which is understandable because it needs continuing business agreements with those services, which may not be forthcoming. The clauses that have been brought forward so far do not give Sonos to the right to hobble functionality in other ways. In doing so, Sonos would seem to have broken the implied contract between manufacturer and consumer. Mysterious doings by Google have been supposed by some, but no evidence has come to light thus far. But I am howling into the wind.

The relevant section of the EULA seems to be the following:

SONOS DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE PRODUCT WILL OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR WILL BE ERROR-FREE, OR THAT ALL ERRORS AND OR DEFECTS MAY BE CORRECTED; THAT THE FUNCTIONS, FEATURES, OR SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY, INCLUDING THIRD PARTY FEATURES AND SERVICES, CONTAINED IN THE PRODUCT SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; THAT ANY FEATURES, FUNCTIONS OR SERVICE WILL CONTINUE TO BE MADE AVAILABLE; THAT THE PRODUCT SOFTWARE WILL BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS OR THIRD PARTY SERVICES. IF YOU ARE A CONSUMER, THIS WARRANTY IS IN ADDITION TO AND DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS. EXCEPT AS SET FORTH IN SECTION 10(E) AND SUBJECT TO ANY MANDATORY CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS TO THE CONTRARY, SONOS’ SOLE LIABILITY, AND YOUR SOLE REMEDY, FOR BREACH OF THE FOREGOING WARRANTY WILL BE, AT SONOS’ SOLE DISCRETION, REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE PRODUCT, OR, IF NEITHER OF THE FOREGOING ARE REASONABLY AVAILABLE, A REFUND OF THE AMOUNT YOU PAID, LESS AMOUNTS ATTRIBUTABLE TO YOUR PRIOR USE;

In other words:

(1) Sonos reserves the right to subtract functionality at any time.

(2) Sonos acknowledges that customer protection laws (such as the implied warranty of merchantability in the Uniform Commercial Code or the European Directive on Consumer Rights) might apply.

(3) I agree that the maximum remedy is repair, replacement, or refund.

I would like a refund, please.

Go look for a lawyer. An ambulance chaser, preferably.

(3) I agree that the maximum remedy is repair, replacement, or refund.

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.