Skip to main content

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

In the Terms and Conditions, it seems that Sonos reserves the right to subtract music streaming services from its lineup, which is understandable because it needs continuing business agreements with those services, which may not be forthcoming. The clauses that have been brought forward so far do not give Sonos to the right to hobble functionality in other ways. In doing so, Sonos would seem to have broken the implied contract between manufacturer and consumer. Mysterious doings by Google have been supposed by some, but no evidence has come to light thus far. But I am howling into the wind.

Bzzzzt.  Sonos has no “business agreements” with their content providers, aside from any technology licensing such as Airplay.  Adding a service to Sonos costs a service nothing aside from their own development time, and Sonos makes no income from any 3rd party service.   Strike two.  

And yes, you are howling into the wind, but not for the reasons you think.  

In the Terms and Conditions, it seems that Sonos reserves the right to subtract music streaming services from its lineup, which is understandable because it needs continuing business agreements with those services, which may not be forthcoming. The clauses that have been brought forward so far do not give Sonos to the right to hobble functionality in other ways. In doing so, Sonos would seem to have broken the implied contract between manufacturer and consumer. Mysterious doings by Google have been supposed by some, but no evidence has come to light thus far. But I am howling into the wind.

Bzzzzt.  Sonos has no “business agreements” with their content providers, aside from any technology licensing such as Airplay.  Adding a service to Sonos costs a service nothing aside from their own development time, and Sonos makes no income from any 3rd party service.   Strike two.  

And yes, you are howling into the wind, but not for the reasons you think.  

Darn the Sonos

Howoooooooool

I am really annoyed and saddened by this news, I play music from device daily, I don't want to use paid  streaming services to enable  me to hear the music I have on my phone.

I didn't receive any notifications on the app regarding the changes, I only stumbled across this news while looking up possible solutions on the net to why the feature was no longer on my android and how I can resolve the solution.

I have spent a lot of money added to my sonos equipment over the years and now I truly feel duped.

I did read Sonos and Google are in a legal dispute, so we as the customers/users of their products are suffering the consequences which is truly unfair.

I will consider selling all my Sonos products if they cannot find a solution to return the feature soon.

I don't want to use paid  streaming services to enable  me to hear the music I have on my phone.

You don't have to. Add myTuner Radio to your Sonos and you're good to go.

I do think Sonos should have communicated this more and better than with just an announcement on this site. Most owners aren't on here or on a regular basis. At least they could have send a message via the app. 

I don't want to use paid  streaming services to enable  me to hear the music I have on my phone.

How is that the same? 

@Deedee02 You could try Youtube or iBroadcast before doing anything rash.

How is that the same? 

They are free streaming services. 

This article is an insult to entrenched Sonos users, and is a disgrace. 

Where was this communicated out to users? This update kicks in, and I have to WADE through MULTIPLE google results telling me that I should have access to browse my files on android before I this article even shows up.

Where was the email notifying us that we’d lose features? Where’s the notification in the app that I would be losing access to my own files? No good faith attempt was made to let users know this was coming, and even AFTER it happened, this article is so far buried that there are multiple support threads of users confused about the loss of their functionality. That is INEXCUSABLE.

Then the article mentions a nebulous “the way information is shared is changing”? What bullshit is this? As if Android will no longer have file access? Trying to push the blame off? What in particular is changing in Android 14 that suddenly causes files to no longer be accessed? Because I see no major changes in the keynotes for file access or security access for valid apps.

All this, and the answer is “You want to keep your functionality? Spend more money with us! Buy another speaker! Subscribe to a streaming service! Leave your computer on non-stop! Spend more time configuring some b***t folders, which you can’t even search!”

Abysmal. 

This feature was one of the major reasons I chose to go with Sonos compared to some of the competitors. Shame on me, and I will never trust Sonos again.

This article is an insult to entrenched Sonos users, and is a disgrace. 

Where was this communicated out to users? This update kicks in, and I have to WADE through MULTIPLE google results telling me that I should have access to browse my files on android before I this article even shows up.

Where was the email notifying us that we’d lose features? Where’s the notification in the app that I would be losing access to my own files? No good faith attempt was made to let users know this was coming, and even AFTER it happened, this article is so far buried that there are multiple support threads of users confused about the loss of their functionality. That is INEXCUSABLE.

Then the article mentions a nebulous “the way information is shared is changing”? What bullshit is this? As if Android will no longer have file access? Trying to push the blame off? What in particular is changing in Android 14 that suddenly causes files to no longer be accessed? Because I see no major changes in the keynotes for file access or security access for valid apps.

All this, and the answer is “You want to keep your functionality? Spend more money with us! Buy another speaker! Subscribe to a streaming service! Leave your computer on non-stop! Spend more time configuring some b***t folders, which you can’t even search!”

Abysmal. 

This feature was one of the major reasons I chose to go with Sonos compared to some of the competitors. Shame on me, and I will never trust Sonos again.

You would think that Sonos would have had the decency to give notice in the app . But, no.

You would think that Sonos would explain the technical reasons why functionality was hobbled, if in fact there is one. But, no.

You would think that Sonos would offer refunds to its customers. But, no.

Here is the link to the discussion from the iOS discussion a year ago. 

Then too, the only response to user complaints was “take a hike and jump over a cliff”.

On another thread, a user said:

“the songs from my phone that are in my queue still play fine, so no, this is nothing with Android file access or anything of that nature. It is quite clear the songs are still there and can still be accessed.”

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

This is very disappointing.  I have invested quite a lot of money in the Sonos system and even purchased items specifically  for the connectivity to the 1T microSD card in my phone. Both my wife and I stream from our phones exclusively and that was also the draw to Sonos years ago. I don't  want to hook up to Bluetooth and have notifications or phone calls interrupt  the music stream. 

Sounds like it may be time to investigate another system.  Please advise if this decision  is in stone or possibly changing. If it's not going to change then I will need to sell it all.

Anyone want to buy a Playbar, 2 Ports, a Beam, 2 Fives, and an Arc? 

I'll  monitor  this status and potentially  sell it all if not resolved. 

It's set in stone.  The same thing happened to iOS users a few years ago, and it's not been changed back since.  Unfortunately for those of us who have to listen to them, the countless "or the bunny gets it" idle threat posts which arise have never really convinced Sonos to change their decisions.

@Deedee02 You could try Youtube or iBroadcast before doing anything rash.

I don't think they'd have the local demos from bands in Denver from the last 30 years....

How is that the same? 

Will they stream the demos local bands have provided me over the last 30 years?

It's set in stone.  The same thing happened to iOS users a few years ago, and it's not been changed back since.  Unfortunately for those of us who have to listen to them, the countless "or the bunny gets it" idle threat posts which arise have never really convinced Sonos to change their decisions.

Well that sucks as they are basically going to be very expensive paperweights.

There are many different ways to stream your own music, and streaming from the device was one of the most inefficient.  I've been streaming my own music since 2008, and I've never once used my Android devices as a storage for my music library.  So no, they aren't paperweights if you don't want them to be. 

There are many different ways to stream your own music, and streaming from the device was one of the most inefficient.  I've been streaming my own music since 2008, and I've never once used my Android devices as a storage for my music library.  So no, they aren't paperweights if you don't want them to be.

As I've got a 1T micro SD in my phone I have everything I want I'm one place on me whenever I go. When I hope in the car, at work and walking in the door at home. Why would I get another device to keep the same music? My wife has the same set up so we both now don't have access to our system. Frustrating and rather insulting from Sonos.

Yet you could upload your own music to a free YouTube music account, free up that memory card, not lose any functionality, and gain functionality in Sonos like the ability to make alarms and playlists using your music.

Just one of the many ways to solve the problem.

Are we over half a dozen people who relied on their phone for using Sonos. Hopefully people don't rely on their phone for backup and you know have options to setup a media library.

Are we over half a dozen people who relied on their phone for using Sonos. Hopefully people don't rely on their phone for backup and you know have options to setup a media library.

Oh the entire music collection is saved on two separate 2T devices, the 1T on the phone is just the essentials. 

Yet you could upload your own music to a free YouTube music account, free up that memory card, not lose any functionality, and gain functionality in Sonos like the ability to make alarms and playlists using your music.

Just one of the many ways to solve the problem.

I am not the owner of the demos that have been provided to me over the last three decades so I don't think uploading their music without consent is proper and I would rather not rely on any streaming service as I have all I want now on this phone....so why would I take all that extra time and effort for something I have now?

How is that the same? 

With the streaming services you have to use the paid version of the services to have full functionality via the Sonos app and to upload music etc... its not really an alternative solution, but I will keep looking. 

@3z13 Since this feature is not coming back, you need to look elsewhere. If you're worried about copyright or ownership issues read the fine print of the service (YTM or iBroadcast).

@Deedee02 As I understand it Youtube Music is free to listen to and to upload. I'm trying iBroacast now, that is certainly free, but limited in quality on the free version, taht you may or may not hear. Why not try it?

With the streaming services you have to use the paid version of the services to have full functionality via the Sonos app and to upload music etc... its not really an alternative solution, but I will keep looking. 

Incorrect.  As stated, YouTube allows up to 100k files of your own music for free.