Skip to main content

Starting May 23rd, 2023, the Sonos S1 and S2 controller for Android will no longer support the ‘On this Device’ feature for streaming locally saved audio files directly to Sonos devices.

As newer versions of mobile operating systems are released, it can sometimes change the way information is shared between devices, and this feature will no longer be compatible with newer versions of the Android operating system. 

While this feature will no longer be available in the app, we know local audio files are important to our listeners and we’ll continue to offer other options to enjoy downloaded tracks on Sonos, including:

• Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs. 

See our article on 'Adding music services' to get started.

Some music services allow you to upload your own music files to a cloud storage service like YouTube Music for example, which allows for an upload of up to 100,000 files with a free account. Services that allow you to upload files to a cloud storage:

Streaming through music services or cloud storage allows you to access your music without your phone. 

You can play music files from your Android device to a supported Sonos product using Bluetooth.

See more about 'Using Bluetooth on Sonos' here.

• Setting up a Music Library share on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. You’d need to have the drive available in your network when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.

See our article on 'Using a NAS drive with Sonos' to get started.

• If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, Amp, Era 100 or Era 300 (with the Line-In dongle), you have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house.

See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help you through the necessary steps to keep listening to your favorite tracks on Sonos.

I'm hoping that a class action lawsuit materializes. Until the mandatory app update, certain functionality (that was  part of the product when I purchased it) was removed without my consent. There was no technical reason (such as an Android update) for Sonos to do it. Is "removing functionality" covered by the Terms and Conditions?

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Like most software, your Sonos EULA explictly states "Sonos reserves the right to discontinue access to and/or support for any third party service, content or technology at any time, and for any reason."  This is just one clause, there are several pertaining to third party content and services.  

This clause covers services, content, and technology provided by third parties, not technology provided by Sonos.

Wow. Sonos will never get my money ever again. Selling this speaker that is now useless to me. Bought it so I could play my own music, not the radio...

I'm hoping that a class action lawsuit materializes. Until the mandatory app update, certain functionality (that was  part of the product when I purchased it) was removed without my consent. There was no technical reason (such as an Android update) for Sonos to do it. Is "removing functionality" covered by the Terms and Conditions?

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Like most software, your Sonos EULA explictly states "Sonos reserves the right to discontinue access to and/or support for any third party service, content or technology at any time, and for any reason."  This is just one clause, there are several pertaining to third party content and services.  

This clause covers services, content, and technology provided by third parties, not technology provided by Sonos.

Wow. Sonos will never get my money ever again. Selling this speaker that is now useless to me. Bought it so I could play my own music, not the radio...

And what normal human being would read a EULA to understand the risk of buying this garbage anyway. Did Ikea know too? Sneaky Sonos. Sneaky. 

I’m really confused as to why you think Sonos is doing this.

It seems fairly evident to me, as an iOS user who went through this process back in August of 2019 that this is being forced on Sonos by changes that Google is making to the Android operating system, just as Apple did to us iOS users back in the day. I’m not sure what ‘advantage’ Sonos gains by removing this feature, and making some large portion of their user base unhappy. Why would they choose to do this, if they were not being forced, by Google, who controls the Android OS?

Sooooo FRUSTRATING!!!  😰

Sooooo FRUSTRATING!!!  😰

Agreed. So many folk on so many threads blaming Sonos for something which is out of their control. 

As I said, I just repeated what I read hear. I do not use YTM myself (I own a NAS).

You say your where prompted to pay - question is, if paying was obligatory.

So this update to the S2, when I lost the ability to play music from my phone, made me go back to the S1 with my Playbar and voila, I can enjoy music from my phone again.  No more automatic updates :)

This has basically rendered my Play1 useless as I am not going to setup a NAS or subscribe to a music service.  

Only service that was able to upload mg songs was ibroadcast after jumping through hoops after hoop.

Yes my play1 is oks but sonos is a premium product and i paid a premium price for it back in the day.  It should not be this difficult just to play the songs from my library on my android phone.  Sonos is worse than apple jailing you to in their eco system.  

I will.say I recently bought a JBL flip 5 for half the price I paid for this play 1 almost a decade ago and I am far more satisfied with the flip 5.  

* sonos. I will never buy another product from you again.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

According to Sonos, it’s not Sonos locking you in but Google locking you out…….

I found iBroadcast very easy to use, bit I upload files from a computer. No hoops there.

You have to remember playing files from an (easily lost.misplaced etc.) phone seems very old fashioned to most people.

This is absolute ****. Terrible, not happy at all

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Agreed, someone should be going after Google for closing the ’feature’  that Sonos was using to access data on Android devices.

Unfortunately, no one was successful in going after Apple, when they closed off this feature in iOS back in August of 2019. 

All I wanted was to play the music I own on the speakers I own from the phone that I own.  Sonos should have told us what we would lose before updating.  They should make old versions of S2 available without any updates.  I will never spend money on Sonos again.

I have all of my music on my home computer and backed up on iBroadcast. IBroadcast is free, easy to back my personal library to, and is available on any device I have with a connection. It is also a free service that links directly to Sonos.  As a bonus, can use my phone for other things, doesn’t drain my battery, and the music keeps playing for my wife if I leave the house. 

I think there is an assumption with this thread that everybody has a computer? 

I don't have a computer these days. I have always used an SSD plugged into my router. I researched Sonos quite a bit when I started buying their products and a media library always seemed the best option.

I think there is an assumption with this thread that everybody has a computer? 

No. Any iThing or Android device and an Internet connection + router will do the trick.

Playing music from my phone is 90% of my use of SONOS and why we bought it in the first place. I feel robbed. 

Playing music from my phone is 90% of my use of SONOS and why we bought it in the first place. I feel robbed. 

You should direct your anger to Google, they changed their OS.

I will rightly continue to direct my anger at SONOS. They have unilaterally decided to discontinue a service which was its main selling point to me,  and apparently to others too. I would not have bought it without it being able to do this.

They could, and should, make this work. But instead of solving the problem, they have just set up bots to respond to every complaint blaming Google. Sure, Google is evil, but the problem is absolutely resoluble, and would be resolved if SONOS had any concern for their customers.  

@beynym Not sure how you would upload music to iBroadcast without a PC. 

@spunkyfirework You must have a back up of your tracks. Couldn’t you upload these to iBroadcast on someone else’s computer?

@anyotherbizniz You might say Sonos was a bit fast to pull the plug on this feature before it really would become a problem for users. I can understand this from their position though. Having some Android versions still allowing this while others would not could lead to many costly helpdesk calls - bringing no solution to most callers.

You seem knowledgeable about how Sonos and Android work form a software point of view, stating the problem is soluble and that Sonos could make this work. If Sonos really missed a solution maybe you could give them some pointers?

Sure. When SONOS advises me how to solve my work problems.

This is unbelievable.

They release this like this is normal.

This sucks.

You spend large amounts of money to purchase their equipment, and they get up and change it.  Sorry you cant use your equipment any more.  Sucks to be you.

This should be a class action lawsuit.

Every single person who owns a Sonos should be paid for the vast amount of hours they spent trying to get the Sonos to work.

They should have been forced to send this notice to every Sonos owner and given them the option for a full refund.

Horrible company.

but the problem is absolutely resoluble

Based upon what inside info do you state this?

@beynym Not sure how you would upload music to iBroadcast without a PC. 

I was talking about the way Sonos works.