If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
That sounds really frustrating, Prodan, thanks for sharing. It looks like that case you mentioned is open with one of our most senior technicians, so you're in good hands. Let me know if I can help with anything else, and hopefully we can get all your questions answered soon. Talk to you soon!
Badge
I've developed the same issue as of two days ago, and I've got 2 Playbars that have been in use for over a year suddenly lagging behind. Adjusting the delay has zero effect. Nothing has changed in my gear and one is off a FiOS box and the other off an Xbox One.
This is disappointing. I just purchased an LG OLED C7 and a playbar. I have the same problem. I wish I saw this last week.
Got exactly the same issue with LG C7 . Playbar - sub and all the rest basic setup connect straight . Let me know if they want more “case” users.

And also, keep us post !
I too have had this issue but just lived with it. I can adjust the lip sync delay settings and it does make a difference but no matter what the setting the audio and video are never all the way in sync.

By the way, I have a Sony TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for reaching out everyone. Usually, lip sync issues come from something handling the audio along the way, so a recent change could be due to an update on your TV if the PLAYBAR is wired in there. Try wiring directly into the source to see what the sync is like.

In any case, we'd love to investigate this with you further. I'd suggest giving us a call so we can work on this in real time and gather as much information as possible. Our contact information can be found here.
Userlevel 1
I only get audio delay with xbox, I assume this is because we're forced to use bitstream out and dolby digital. The audio lag is present on the tv when bypassing sonos, sonos makes it worse however. Bitstream out and dts works flawlessly on the tv but alas sonos refuse to support dts. With all my recent playbar woes I think im finally ready to sell up and move on to a proper home theater set up.
I have the same problem with a Panasonic DX802b. Audio delay as discussed while bit-streaming to Playbar.

No issues when I directly play from the TV i.e built in apps or tv tuner but happens when passing through 5.1 via HDMI.

Temporary fixed by using a HDMI switch with optical out to the playbar which is a pity as I would like to use the TV to "manage" all my inputs.

Numerous people over at AVforums have the same issue but Panasonic is made aware by myself and others but their recent update did nothing to resolve the issue.
I got a new 60inch Sony and a play at for Black Friday. After returning the first play bar because it made smoke when I plugged it in.. it was dead on arrival. I got the second one hooked up today. It worked but there is a crazy delay that only gets worse with the lip sync delay setting. I’m going straight out of the TV via optical and just using the built in smart apps. It’s just aweful, being a filmmaker myself it makes me cringe. I’ll be returning this second one tomorrow if I can’t find a fix.
I have the same issue. I have a Philips Oled tv, and the out sync is only getting worse. When bypasing Sonos everything is in sync. So frustrating.
I have the same issue with my LG OLED55B... I have gotten it pretty close by setting the avsync setting on the TV to -3 or -4 when watching blu-ray's. However, it seems like every device i plug in wants a little different adjustment which is super annoying. I also haven't tried it yet, but using a built-in app I am guessing i'll have to change that value also.

Not sure if it is the same for you, but in Stereo there are no issues, but as soon as it goes to DD 5.1 the lag starts. I was wondering if this has to do with the amount of data going through there, or whether the 5.1 triggers the addition of the bass track or something.
Do we have any updates on this? I just bought the Sony OLED A1E and I'm having issues and can't stand it. I plug in my cheap 99.99 sound bar and no issues. I ended up using an HDMI audio extractor to fix the AppleTV issues but still frustrating the Sonos doesn't work and a cheap sound bar does.
Have the same issue with 55" LG C7 and my Playbase 5.1 setup.
Userlevel 2
I have sent in a ticket to LG Engineering and Sonos Engineering on the audio delay issue when gaming from an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro using Bistream Out (Dolby Digital 5.1).

PLEASE do the same and report these issues if you suffer from this issue!

The setup I have is simple:
1. Roku Ultra
2. PS4 Pro (bitstream out)
3. Xbox One X (bitstream out)
4. Nintendo Switch (uses Linear PCM 5.1 converted to Stereo)

These are all attached via HDMI 1,2,3,4 to my LG 65C7P OLED TV.

Then, using digital optical out from the LG TV, I am connected to the digital optical input on the Sonos Playbar (with two Play:1’s, and a sub).

The audio delay from the gaming systems (specifically PS4 and Xbox One) is horrendous.

Note: There is no audio delay on the ninentdo switch because it is using PCM, not Dolby Digital. The TV nor the Sonos can convert 5.1 PCM to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. I don’t believe there is even a device that does this either. This means you will get emulated Stereo sound from the SONOS when playing the Switch. Darn.

Note2: There is no perceived audio delay using the Roku Ultra to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO etc.. (Picture Mode ISF Bright or other). This could be because gaming is higher speed video content than movie or TV playback, and the video processing and picture modes alleviate any perceived audio delay, but I’m not 100% sure.

Note3: There is no audio delay when using built in LG smart apps such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc...)

LG software has the ability to adjust the audio sync (AV Sync Adjustment) between -5 and +15; however, my testing indicates that going to -5 does not alleviate the issue and has no perceptable difference in audio delay. LG software settings also have the ability to bypass (Bypass: On/Off) the TV but that setting also does not correct the gaming audio delay.

The problem is that the video is ahead of the audio and to make matters worse, when gaming, we obviously want to use the LG Picture Setting for GAME to reduce input lag. When doing this, the audio delay becomes even more noticeable and makes gaming almost unplayable. (especially online multiplayer shooters).

I have scoured the internet looking for solutions such as:
HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor*
Affordable AVR that has optical out and does not amplify the audio signal to use with Sonos system
LG Settings
Xbox Settings
Sonos Settings

*These products exist but they don’t seem to have the latest video standards yet (4:4:4, 4K, HDCP 2.2, HDMI2.0a or HDMI2.0b, 60hz etc...). Buying anything less would mitigate the value of the LG OLED TV and what it is capable of displaying.

Nothing I have done or tried fixes the issue.

I firmly believe this is a processing issue by the LG TV that is taking an audio signal (dolby digital 5.1) from an HDMI gaming device (ps4 or xbox one) and taking too long to process it before sending it out via Optical to the Sonos playbar/surround system.

I don’t believe this is a SONOS issue; however, I do believe that if Sonos does not have LG engineering fix the software in their TV, this audio delay issue is going to cause gamers to buy a different system.

I am also considering returning my brand new system in favor of a traditional wired speaker solution with a proper Audio/Video Receiver (AVR). This is how severe this issue is to me as a gamer.

P.S: This is unrelated but...Sonos, please update your products to handle DTS and other newer audio codecs. It’s 2018. We love your products but there are severe drawbacks and limitations currently.
Userlevel 2
I have sent in a ticket to LG Engineering and Sonos Engineering on the audio delay issue when gaming from an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro using Bistream Out (Dolby Digital 5.1).

PLEASE do the same and report these issues if you suffer from this issue!

The setup I have is simple:
1. Roku Ultra
2. PS4 Pro (bitstream out)
3. Xbox One X (bitstream out)
4. Nintendo Switch (uses Linear PCM 5.1 converted to Stereo)

These are all attached via HDMI 1,2,3,4 to my LG 65C7P OLED TV.

Then, using digital optical out from the LG TV, I am connected to the digital optical input on the Sonos Playbar (with two Play:1’s, and a sub).

The audio delay from the gaming systems (specifically PS4 and Xbox One) is horrendous.

Note: There is no audio delay on the ninentdo switch because it is using PCM, not Dolby Digital. The TV nor the Sonos can convert 5.1 PCM to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. I don’t believe there is even a device that does this either. This means you will get emulated Stereo sound from the SONOS when playing the Switch. Darn.

Note2: There is no perceived audio delay using the Roku Ultra to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO etc.. (Picture Mode ISF Bright or other). This could be because gaming is higher speed video content than movie or TV playback, and the video processing and picture modes alleviate any perceived audio delay, but I’m not 100% sure.

Note3: There is no audio delay when using built in LG smart apps such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc...)

LG software has the ability to adjust the audio sync (AV Sync Adjustment) between -5 and +15; however, my testing indicates that going to -5 does not alleviate the issue and has no perceptable difference in audio delay. LG software settings also have the ability to bypass (Bypass: On/Off) the TV but that setting also does not correct the gaming audio delay.

The problem is that the video is ahead of the audio and to make matters worse, when gaming, we obviously want to use the LG Picture Setting for GAME to reduce input lag. When doing this, the audio delay becomes even more noticeable and makes gaming almost unplayable. (especially online multiplayer shooters).

I have scoured the internet looking for solutions such as:
HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor*
Affordable AVR that has optical out and does not amplify the audio signal to use with Sonos system
LG Settings
Xbox Settings
Sonos Settings

*These products exist but they don’t seem to have the latest video standards yet (4:4:4, 4K, HDCP 2.2, HDMI2.0a or HDMI2.0b, 60hz etc...). Buying anything less would mitigate the value of the LG OLED TV and what it is capable of displaying.

Nothing I have done or tried fixes the issue.

I firmly believe this is a processing issue by the LG TV that is taking an audio signal (dolby digital 5.1) from an HDMI gaming device (ps4 or xbox one) and taking too long to process it before sending it out via Optical to the Sonos playbar/surround system.

I don’t believe this is a SONOS issue; however, I do believe that if Sonos does not have LG engineering fix the software in their TV, this audio delay issue is going to cause gamers to buy a different system.

I am also considering returning my brand new system in favor of a traditional wired speaker solution with a proper Audio/Video Receiver (AVR). This is how severe this issue is to me as a gamer.

P.S: This is unrelated but...Sonos, please update your products to handle DTS and other newer audio codecs. It’s 2018. We love your products but there are severe drawbacks and limitations currently.

I should also add I am using an LG 65C7P with firmware version 04.70.36.
Cliperstall,

You may have already looked at this solution. I bought it last year on the recommendation of this forum, as my TV is old school and doesn't pass through 5.1 at all.

It works very well, and they seem to indicate that it supports pretty up to date video standards.

http://octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

I can't vouch for that, I've yet to upgrade beyond my 1080p plasma. But the product is awesome and they have solid support, so it would be worth at least an ask.

Matthew
Userlevel 2
Matthew,

Thanks for taking the time to write your suggestion. I think that’s probably a good product; however it fundamentally misses the point. The LG B and C OLED models have an issue with the audio delay and we need the community to call it in and report it.

I called LG for a followup on my service ticket today and the VIP customer service department at LG (you can get transferred to VIP if you prove you own an OLED model) told me that they have received so many calls on this issue recently that it has become a top priority for the LG engineering department in South Korea.

That’s progess.

They also told me that they are no longer capturing new tickets for this audio sync issue because they have all the information that they need and got a system wide email on Monday instructing them not to. They said there is no current ETA for this resolution but that they are working on it now and encouraged me to keep automatic updates turned on in the software settings of my TV.

Also progress.

Customers shouldn’t be relegated to buying a $300 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor or a receiver. One of the alluring points of a soundbar setup (LIKE the Sonos system) is the simplicity of the setup and ease of use. Buying a receiver or a switcher fundamentally negates that idea. Plus, $300 is a lot of money for such a product. Budget receivers cost around the same amount. (Note: If you think you can buy a receiver to use with the Sonos system to solve this problem, my understanding and research indicates you cannot. Most receivers amplify the signal of the audio outputs (whther through hdmi or optical out), and the Sonos playbar already amplifies the signal. Double amplification will not work and could damage the system. If there is a receiver on the market that has passthrough audio and does not amplify the signal, then this could theoretically work with SONOS if you can find that product and want to spend the money to go that route.

So again, while the switch is probably a great product and fixes the issue for you and anyone else willing to buy it, I view it as a bandaid to the problem rather than a resolution to the actual underlying issue.

I also spoke with SONOS and they have escalated this issue to Tier 2 and told me their engineering department has been in contact with LG.

I hope this information finds its way to any customer who has spent good money and may be bashing their heads against a wall out of frustration.

Bottomline: Please continue calling in and reporting your audio delay or sync issues until this gets resolved.
Badge
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for posting this information. I’ve spent a lot of wasted time trying to get line out to work perfectly with 5.1 on my LG OLED C7. Currently use an optical audio splitter as a workaround, but obviously not ideal. I’ve been doing that for years with an older cheap Visio TV, but it was frustrating that finally getting a new TV didn’t solve my audio issues. It would be awesome if Sonos worked with LG and other TV companies to “certify” models that they work with 5.1 and Playbar/Playbase perfectly, rather than just holding out hope the manufacturer even passes 5.1, let alone does it right.
so glad i stumbled on this. just bought a LG OLED, apple tv 4k and the whole playbar sub play1 setup dropping north of $5k and this audio sync thing is asinine. i am so mad at myself for the wasted cash that could have gone into a solid wired setup. my setup is so barebones but i am constantly fiddling with the tv audio sync options depending on what apple movie, or nhl hockey game on the apple tv, or netflix on the apple tv etc and it is still never sync’d. dead simple setup - apple tv hdmi to LG, optical cable from LG to playbar. model is OLED65B7A-U running 04.70.36.

someone please fix this.
I'm having the same issue. Just bought a new LG C7, Xbox One X. It is just terrible. You should plug in a pair of headphones into your xbox controller and you'll see just how bad it is. I haven't set up my Roku yet to see if I have the same issue, but it sounds like I will. Very disappointing. When I was playing Destiny it was crazy bad. My shots sounded like they were an echo.
Userlevel 2
Update on 1/29:

I called LG VIP support for an update on my audio delay/sync ticket and they said there is still no ETA but the audio issue is currently being tested in their engineering department. That’s a good sign and hopefully they will soon push out LG TV firmware to address this.

Please continue calling in tickets to LG and/or Sonos (Sonos will say it is not their problem but then request to have their engineering team reach out to LG) ! We have to keep reporting tickets to customer suppoer to indicate how widespread this problem is.

P.S. Please see my lengthy posts above for tons of valuable information.
-clipperstall
Userlevel 1
Badge
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Spending thousands of $$$, then this.... pretty irritating. I've called in a ticket to LG, and added myself to the list of customers with the issue (though sounds like they're no longer accepting tickets for this).

Had a question for some users with a C7 or C6. Are you aware of what the audio option LG Sound Sync is used for? I have a C7 & Sonos Playbase + Sub connected via Optical. When using the LG Sound Sync option, audio plays through the Sonos speakers without any delay... Soon as I switch over to the Audio Out (Optical / HDMI ARC), i get that subtle lag.

Now, I have no idea if LG Sound Sync actually delivering 5.1 / DD / Etc. as I haven't received the two Play 1's that I plan to use as the rear (and I don't see an available option of displaying the current audio output info).

Anyway, I just wanted to get some thoughts on this.
Userlevel 2
Hi Ifallo1,

My understanding is that the LG sound sync option is to sync the audio between the LG OLED TV and the LG Sound Bars (specifically LG SJ7/8/9).

I know this because that’s what the manual says to enable as I briefly owned the LG SJ9 soundbar and the audio was not synced correctly without that option enabled.

Full disclosure: The LG SJ9 sound bar with atmos was not nearly as good as the Sonos 5.1 system. The rear channels from sonos make more of an impact on listening than atmos in my opinion.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Ifallo1,

My understanding is that the LG sound sync option is to sync the audio between the LG OLED TV and the LG Sound Bars (specifically LG SJ7/8/9).

I know this because that’s what the manual says to enable as I briefly owned the LG SJ9 soundbar and the audio was not synced correctly without that option enabled.

Full disclosure: The LG SJ9 sound bar with atmos was not nearly as good as the Sonos 5.1 system. The rear channels from sonos make more of an impact on listening than atmos in my opinion.

Thanks clipper- Yea, that's what I read as well. Guess I was confused since I do not have an LG sounbar (have a Sonos soundbar/sub), but am getting audio through my sounbar/sub with the LG sync option enabled (and there is no audio delay issue). Would this technically be a workaround?
Userlevel 2
I guess it might be. I’m not sure what hdmi devices you are using where you are claiming there is no audio delay through the lg tv with the sonos system.

If you are using an xbox one or ps4 pro with bitstream out (dolby digital) then I’m extremely interested and will rush home and retest.

Last I tried that didn’t fix it for me...