If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated: 171023-002526.

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

414 replies

Just came to put my own hat in the ring, 2018 LG TV with PS4 pro and Sonos surround system, exact same issue. I won’t be reading the entire 17 page thread but if they’re not going to properly fix the issue I’d even appreciate finer tuned audio delay settings...

Your rather lucky, if your talking about lip-sync issues here, I think LG TV’s can easily resolve such issues with this lip-sync feature available on their newer TV’s…

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1412236386115-audio-out-of-sync

Some of their models also support HDMI/Optical port pass-through too in the TV Settings

…. and that’s without waiting for Sonos to fix anything at all here.👍

Badge

Just came to put my own hat in the ring, 2018 LG TV with PS4 pro and Sonos surround system, exact same issue. I won’t be reading the entire 17 page thread but if they’re not going to properly fix the issue I’d even appreciate finer tuned audio delay settings...

Any chance that LG remote is using something other than InfraRed to send signals to the TV? The Sonos can only ‘see’ IR, so you often have to tell your remote to use IR. See some additional data here

Sorted! Thanks a lot!

Any chance that LG remote is using something other than InfraRed to send signals to the TV? The Sonos can only ‘see’ IR, so you often have to tell your remote to use IR. See some additional data here

You should still be able to set up the Beam to respond to the IR from your remote. Just go into the room settings for the Beam, and reprogram the Beam to ‘see’ the remote there. 

Thanks, but I tried this and it didn't work (despite going into the TV settings and turning on "LG sound sync"). 

You should still be able to set up the Beam to respond to the IR from your remote. Just go into the room settings for the Beam, and reprogram the Beam to ‘see’ the remote there. 

That takes no optical inputs so your hdmi connection from your ps4 would need to connect to it and then optical split from the switch to the beam via an optical cable and the supplied sonos converter cable.  However, as you are using the inbuilt apps on your TV you need to get the audio out from there as well to beam which is where this solution might break.  The switch says arc compatible but I suspect that might only be on the output hdmi of the switch and not the inputs. 

If it were me to be safe I would get a optical/toslink switch without the hdmi, that way you can take optical audio feeds from ps4 and TV to the optical inputs of the switch then to a single optical output going to beam.

As for switch control, that depends on the switch. Most come with remotes which you could consolidate with a harmony device. 

Hi again. I eventually ordered this :

eSynic Spdif Toslink Switcher 3 X 1 Digital Optical Audio Switch with IR Remote Control Support LPCM2.0 PCM2.0 DTS Dolby-AC3 Dolby Digital DTS 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B8NMPBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0CenEb0W66VTV

... Which does the job fine, and all lip sync problems are gone! It's a bit of a faff to have to manually switch between inputs, but I can deal with it. What I'm now struggling with is the fact that I can no longer control the volume of the system without using the Sonos app (which my wife is obviously not thrilled about!). Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I have got an optical switch with hdmi out to the beam instead? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

That takes no optical inputs so your hdmi connection from your ps4 would need to connect to it and then optical split from the switch to the beam via an optical cable and the supplied sonos converter cable.  However, as you are using the inbuilt apps on your TV you need to get the audio out from there as well to beam which is where this solution might break.  The switch says arc compatible but I suspect that might only be on the output hdmi of the switch and not the inputs. 

If it were me to be safe I would get a optical/toslink switch without the hdmi, that way you can take optical audio feeds from ps4 and TV to the optical inputs of the switch then to a single optical output going to beam.

As for switch control, that depends on the switch. Most come with remotes which you could consolidate with a harmony device. 

You need an optical/toslink switch.  There are many on amazon to choose from with varying numbers of inputs. They all do the same job.

You can also use a hdmi switch that has an optical extractor on it so that all your hdmi inputs go to it but the hdmi output of the switch only sends video, the audio being extracted/converted to an optical output on the switch that goes to your beam. 

Thanks Andy. So would something like this do the job? And if so, would it still allow me to control everything from a single remote? The only connected hdmi device I use is the ps4, but I run Netflix directly via the TV (for the best quality). 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YD2CLMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mbBlEb7N4CG0N

Userlevel 1
Badge

You need an optical/toslink switch.  There are many on amazon to choose from with varying numbers of inputs. They all do the same job.

You can also use a hdmi switch that has an optical extractor on it so that all your hdmi inputs go to it but the hdmi output of the switch only sends video, the audio being extracted/converted to an optical output on the switch that goes to your beam. 

I have an LG OLED55B8SLC and a sonos beam with 2 x sonos one SL, and I'm experiencing exactly the same audio lag whenever I switch to dolby 5.1. I've partially resolved this issue from my ps4 by outputting optical, connected directly to the beam using the supplied hdmi/optical adapter and it works well. The only problem is that I have to physically change the hdmi cable that is attached to the beam whenever I'm wanting to use something other than the ps4.

Some people seem to claim that they have resolved this entire problem using some kind of splitter... Is someone able to elaborate on this and suggest one that would work? 

While I agree with your irritation, this isn’t something that Sonos can be involved in. As has been repeatedly shown by people who “spend extra money”, as you’ve accurately put it, the Sonos works properly. The issue is in the ability for LG (and Samsung) to not delay the signal as it goes through the TV.

I replaced a TV recently, and looked at both LG and Samsung as potentials. I ended up with another Vizio, because I was confident it could pass through a Dolby Digital signal without delaying it. And I was correct, my Sonos continues to work perfectly, as it had on my previous Vizio. 

Same situation here, LG C9 and Sonos Beam connected via HDMI, experiencing audio delay when using my PS4 outputting bitstream.  Changing the output to Linear PCM resolves the audio delay but is stereo only and sounds rubbish compared to bitstream.  I’ve emailed a complaint to LG but not holding out much hope for a resolution. 

It’s astonishing how many posts there are on the internet detailing the same problem going back to at least 2017.  People are spending extra money on what appears to be very inelegant solutions to something that could surely be resolved, if only these companies would take some collective responsibility and work together in the interests of their customers.

I have an LGOLEDC9 - upgraded from a TCL screen - and the sound sync makes it feel like amateur hour. It’s a real shame that Sonos and LG can’t figure out a fix here and it’s really unfair that users like us have to team up to figure out which TVs work with this system. Now I’m stuck with a $2500 TV and a $1600 sound system that don’t work together. Getting that TV back in the box? No thanks. Giving up on Sonos? Nearly…

Sonos - read this thread, stop pretending to fix it with 5 increments in sound delay on the app. Figure it out. Be real engineers with a product you can really stand behind. #Upyourgame2020

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Audio Lag successfully conquered:

I now have the Cablebox to TV as HDMI for video. And discovered there is a Optical Output from the Cablebox which I used with Optical/HDMI adapter to run directly into the Beam. I'm going to get a 3-1 Optical adapter to ultimately connect all audio components including TV apps, BlueRay, and Cablebox.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-3x1/

the J-Tech audio switch has resolved my issues with the audio lag.

2019 Panasonic OLED owner here, same issues.

ARC was the main reason I chose the Beam, so pretty disappointed that the only way around this issue is using an optical splitter. 

Using an amp with ARC or another brand of soundbar proves to have no issues, and yet with any source or input I’ve also got this audio delay behind the video. 

Happy to report the J-Tech 3x1 audio switch solved all my audio sync problems. I have my PlayBar and 4K ATV connected as shown below. Hope it’s helpful to anyone still having lingering issues.

Cable box → J-Tech audio switch via optical
Cable box → Samsung Q60 via HDMI
4K ATV → Samsung Q60 via HDMI
Samsung Q60 → J-Tech audio switch via optical
J-Tech audio switch → PlayBar via optical

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?

Booner,   Is this what you’re looking for?  It would allow the HDMI from the Cable box and HDMI from AppleTV as inputs.  HDMI out to video for TV.  TOSlink output to Playbar.  If Playbar needs HDMI, then you would use the Optical to HDMI adapter on the TOSlink.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/3x1-audio-extractor-4k/

This also may be a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9P9NBN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BvZ-DbGWGATAX

Thanks, MSterling. After more thought I ordered the 3x1 toslink audio switch from J-Tech you recommended. I think it may work. Throughout this thread most say there is no sync issue with 4K ATV running through the TV and out to the Playbar via optical so I plan to try running HDMI from the cable box and from the ATV to the Samsung and then run optical audio cables from the cable box and the Samsung to the J-Tech audio switch and then out to the Playbar. If it works I’ll be able to return the J-Tech extractor. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?

Booner,   Is this what you’re looking for?  It would allow the HDMI from the Cable box and HDMI from AppleTV as inputs.  HDMI out to video for TV.  TOSlink output to Playbar.  If Playbar needs HDMI, then you would use the Optical to HDMI adapter on the TOSlink.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/3x1-audio-extractor-4k/

This also may be a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9P9NBN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BvZ-DbGWGATAX

This seems to be the solution for me as well. I have the J-Tech 4K 60hz HDMI audio extractor (HDMI from cable box to J-Tech, HDMI out to Samsung q60 HDMI input 1, optical from J-Tech to Playbar). Solved the problem with audio sync but I can’t get Apple TV audio without switching the hdmi inputs to the j-tech. 
Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Audio Lag successfully conquered:

I now have the Cablebox to TV as HDMI for video. And discovered there is a Optical Output from the Cablebox which I used with Optical/HDMI adapter to run directly into the Beam. I'm going to get a 3-1 Optical adapter to ultimately connect all audio components including TV apps, BlueRay, and Cablebox.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-3x1/

I’ve never had an issue with Vizio TVs. 

So I just spoke to the UK support. I was told that because sounds comes out then there is no issue. As I had checked the settings there was nothing else to do and everything was working as expected. 

On that note does anyone know if any other OLED TVs exist that don’t have this issue. Are Sony TVs still having it or are they fixed now? I’m going to sell mine when I can find a working replacement and I’ll not be touching LG again. 

Hi: As far as I know I have updated the most recent TV Firmware.  This is in Ontario, Canada.  I am just viewing cable TV channels with Rogers Cable.  I am not certain of other settings.  I am not too keen on adding other GIZMOS.  It was a simple setting to fix that would be great, but not that huge of an issue.  May just have to live with it.  It sadly seems that as technology gets more and more sophisticated (read complex) it becomes more and more problematic.  How did we get a man on the moon?  I tried my TV on just internal speakers and I believe there is still a lip sync issue.  Even have access to several LG TVs in this building and all seem similar.  I can’t even rule out that it is also not affecting an old Panasonic LCD.  Maybe it is an Internet Cable Provider.  I would like to see a digital meter that would align the audio and video?  Perhaps for Christmas? lol. 

The Sonos devices are just speakers and so they can only play the audio when it is actually delivered to them in the correct format they support (PCM or Dolby Digital upto and including DD5.1 surround sound), so the fact you are using a Cable TV box, then it makes sense to set the audio output on that device to Dolby Digital 5.1 and then set the TV HDMI-ARC (or the TV’s optical port depending on the connection being used) to pass-through that audio stream without processing/interrupting it. The C9 certainly allows that ...and it definitely works for me with my cable box and Apple TV etc. attached to its HDMI ports.