Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2425 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I updated early this morning. My Android app is playing up.

Edit wait a bit I hadn't updated the app itself.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Nope. My android app is still a bit knackered.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

App  iOS update today to 80.03.07 but no new hardware update....

I had the full firmware update after updating the iOS app earlier.

Hello @Rhonny , may I ask what you found when you did the "full firmware update"?

I got prompted to do it earlier but, what with one thing and another, am very suspicious indeed about taking that plunge. 

I am on Android, so the experience may not be exactly the same,  but it would be great to hear that it brought back all sorts of functionalities we have been missing for the last several weeks. 

Or maybe not. 

Cheers, 

John

Man, I am so relating to John’s feeling of apprehension about updating firmware/hardware. I too would appreciate someone’s recent experience in performing that function.

Yes, @SlamDesi , I keep thinking about those wildlife programmes where you see all the penguins crowding along the edge of the icepack waiting for the first one to dive in so they can check whether there's some huge disaster waiting for them.

I know just how they feel, so who's going first? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Logging out and back in helped a bit Favourites is working and my playlist are now front and centre.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Restarting the app lost my favourites again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Updated my iPad app it didn’t help. Good thing I don’t stream. That seems to be broken.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

logging in and out didn’t help 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Come in the waters fine!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hello @Rhonny , may I ask what you found when you did the "full firmware update"?

I got prompted to do it earlier but, what with one thing and another, am very suspicious indeed about taking that plunge. 

I am on Android, so the experience may not be exactly the same,  but it would be great to hear that it brought back all sorts of functionalities we have been missing for the last several weeks. 

Or maybe not. 

Cheers, 

John

Man, I am so relating to John’s feeling of apprehension about updating firmware/hardware. I too would appreciate someone’s recent experience in performing that function.

Yes, @SlamDesi , I keep thinking about those wildlife programmes where you see all the penguins crowding along the edge of the icepack waiting for the first one to dive in so they can check whether there's some huge disaster waiting for them.

Excellent analogy, jreddaway…. Updating software is one thing while firmware is another issue altogether… at least for me anyway.

I emailed the creator of SonoPhone/Pad and asked him if his app supported externally stored music libraries (USBs in my case) and he wrote back and added this link on adding local libraries:

https://sonopad.de/what-happened-to-your-music-library-and-how-to-fix-it/

Maybe someone smarter than I can figure it out from what he details in this link. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to spend $2.99 on his app and run it once to see if it detects and connects to our stored libraries.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

‘Recently played’ sez ‘Unable to load content.’ I suppose that’s an upgrade. Until now, it said ‘Will display here when you have played content…’ despite my having played scores of tracks.

As I said earlier, I’ve given up trying. I’ve lowered my expectations, as they most likely will be dashed anyway. I will wait a month or so, continue to play music to the limited extent possible given the shortcomings of the current app, and stop trying ‘workarounds’ and frequent app and firmware revisions that merely create new problems.

Hopefully a month from now things will return to normal. In the meantime, it’s not worth the heartburn.

By the way, Silverthorn… I saw the MC5 and the Stooges too, in New York in the early 70s. Kick out the jams, [bleep]!

yeah the new version is broken. can’t load any of my services to play anything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

‘Recently played’ sez ‘Unable to load content.’ I suppose that’s an upgrade. Until now, it said ‘Will display here when you have played content…’ despite my having played scores of tracks.

As I said earlier, I’ve given up trying. I’ve lowered my expectations, as they most likely will be dashed anyway. I will wait a month or so, continue to play music to the limited extent possible given the shortcomings of the current app, and stop trying ‘workarounds’ and frequent app and firmware revisions that merely create new problems.

Hopefully a month from now things will return to normal. In the meantime, it’s not worth the heartburn.

By the way, Silverthorn… I saw the MC5 and the Stooges too, in New York in the early 70s. Kick out the jams, [bleep]!

It's a quote from a Radio Birdman song. The lead guitarist was from the US I believe. They slayed. Radios appear is a classic Aussie rock album. Too bad they didn't stay together for too long

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey the app came good! Internet problems?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

yeah the new version is broken. can’t load any of my services to play anything.

Restart the app. Mine just came good.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

For what it’s worth, I updated my app and the system, and always do. One triggers the other for a reason.

I'm on iOS. Once again, no issues at all from updating the firmware.

Update or don’t update. Up to you. I don’t care. But the fact there is a firmware/speaker update after updating the app greatly suggests both are absolutely essential if you actually want to see issues fixed. 

Or maybe not. 

Cheers, 

John

Yes, @SlamDesi , I keep thinking about those wildlife programmes where you see all the penguins crowding along the edge of the icepack waiting for the first one to dive in so they can check whether there's some huge disaster waiting for them.

Great post. Wasn't expecting to deal with leopard seals when buying my Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No issues. Smooth as a freshly-buttered bannister.

it would be great to hear that it brought back all sorts of functionalities we have been missing for the last several weeks. 

It would be great to hear that... Unfortunately the update this time was related to stability of new systems.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m running what I believe to be the latest version of iOS Sonos app, 80.03. Still NO access to my library. My Library is not listed. Nothing. 
i haven’t tried other features like alarms and queue editing. Without access to My Library my Sonos boxes I can’t function. 
Windows and Mac OS X versions of Sonos app are running OK, meaning access to my library works fine, including search. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sonos is the Microsoft of HiFi… they can’t even get their product to work correctly.. Only thing easy is handing over your money. So I stopped doing that already. 😁

Userlevel 4
Badge

For what it’s worth, I updated my app and the system, and always do. One triggers the other for a reason.

Update or don’t update. Up to you. I don’t care. But the fact there is a firmware/speaker update after updating the app greatly suggests both are absolutely essential if you actually want to see issues fixed. 

Yep some of us just fixed it by choosing other systems/solutions while Sonos hamsters keep running on the new wheel they came up with.. as to what to do with Sonos? Let go or perhaps one day they’ll fix it. 🤷🏼

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

To complete the list:

• Own radio stations are preserved but can no longer be started (TuneIn -> My Radio Stations)
  • The network settings are missing. (System Settings -> Network; Manage Networks and Sonosnet Channel)

Speaking of SonosNet, did I read somewhere that the new ERA 100 speakers does not support SonosNet? I know I read it somewhere, but can’t find it again.  

To complete the list:

• Own radio stations are preserved but can no longer be started (TuneIn -> My Radio Stations)
  • The network settings are missing. (System Settings -> Network; Manage Networks and Sonosnet Channel)

Speaking of SonosNet, did I read somewhere that the new ERA 100 speakers does not support SonosNet? I know I read it somewhere, but can’t find it again.  

The 300, 100, move, roam and ace do not support sonosnet.

Userlevel 4
Badge

To complete the list:

The 300, 100, move, roam and ace do not support sonosnet.

Sonos would have said it took “courage” to remove everything good about Sonos to put out the minimally viable product to squeeze money from anyone who took the bait.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I updated on one of my iPads and it is telling me “it can’t load content”, and nothing works. I just tried the iPad in our Bedroom, which I didn’t update yesterday and that appears to be working. I can hear the playlist going to my next song from my office. So not going to do anymore updates. I checked my Windows controller and the music path is okay; still pointing to my NAS drive and playing well. I just don’t understand this.