Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2425 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I guess there won’t be any fixes any time soon. Wonder if its possible to rollback to the last functioning version with an APK install. I’ll try getting version 16.1 guess that was the last good one? 

It has been mentioned hundreds of times in this forum over the last six weeks that Android owners can roll back via the 16.1 apk. So yes.

So, to use Sonos, if you have an Apple phone, you have to ditch and get an android.  Thanks for the tip.  I’ll try that.

No, if you have an Apple phone, you just have to wait for the next lot of app updates. My iPhone works completely fine, I’m sorry to say. Clearly no playlist or queue editing, but otherwise, no issues with it. And I am from 2024 where music streaming is a thing, so I have no library nonsense to put myself through.

I use playlists they are gone I am upset.  You stream from services if they were gone you would be upset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I guess there won’t be any fixes any time soon. Wonder if its possible to rollback to the last functioning version with an APK install. I’ll try getting version 16.1 guess that was the last good one? 

It has been mentioned hundreds of times in this forum over the last six weeks that Android owners can roll back via the 16.1 apk. So yes.

So, to use Sonos, if you have an Apple phone, you have to ditch and get an android.  Thanks for the tip.  I’ll try that.

No, if you have an Apple phone, you just have to wait for the next lot of app updates. My iPhone works completely fine, I’m sorry to say. Clearly no playlist or queue editing, but otherwise, no issues with it. And I am from 2024 where music streaming is a thing, so I have no library nonsense to put myself through.

I use playlists they are gone I am upset.  You stream from services if they were gone you would be upset.

I use playlists too. Mine are there…

They are there, just you can’t see them since the new app is buggy AF. 

Userlevel 1

So here’s a question.  If we all have to “schlog” through SONOS’ ineptitude for several months while they “guinea pig” their patrons on each monthly iteration of the rebuild, so be it.   

So the question I have is, what is everyone doing to shut down the system now that there is no “Close Queue” option?????   I have been using my Windows 10 laptop APP to close the queue the last month.  This morning that APP will no longer work and SONOS wants me to update it.    Given the Friday the 13th experience in updating my iPhone SONOS app, I am somewhat reticent to update the Windows10 app on my laptop.

My apologies if this question on the Queue has been asked pages back in this thread.  I’m not reading the whole thing.   Thanks!

I do what works for every Play/Pause/Stop controlled device I’ve ever used - I hit Pause/Stop.

Userlevel 1

I do what works for every Play/Pause/Stop controlled device I’ve ever used - I hit Pause/Stop.

Well, yes.  I can hit pause stop.   But I can’t “clear the queue” on my iPhone.   However,   a short while ago, I bit the bullet and reloaded the Windows10 app onto my laptop.    It is working perfectly and seems to have all the features that are missing on the iPhone.   I even have queue clearing and also have full connectivity back to my music library on our home network.    Guess I’ll be using the laptop for the next 4 or 5 months until they rebuild the APP for iPhone.     I hope this lasts.  At least now I seem to have work-around.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Well, yes.  I can hit pause stop.   But I can’t “clear the queue” on my iPhone.   However,   a short while ago, I bit the bullet and reloaded the Windows10 app onto my laptop.    It is working perfectly and seems to have all the features that are missing on the iPhone.   I even have queue clearing and also have full connectivity back to my music library on our home network.    Guess I’ll be using the laptop for the next 4 or 5 months until they rebuild the APP for iPhone.     I hope this lasts.  At least now I seem to have work-around.

You can’t currently clear the queue on any of the recent apps on any phone platform [EDIT] now. You just have to replace it with whatever you want to play next, until the option is implemented in the coming weeks. 

Does clearing the queue do something to the music playback that Pause/Stop doesn’t?  Because I can’t remember using that feature (not that I haven’t in the far past, but Pause/Stop was always sufficient to stop the music for me).

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I keep coming back to read these never ending comments and technical tips and it just makes my head spin. I don’t want and should not need to know all this stuff. I don’t know SMB from my elbow, any more than I knew all the inner workings of my old ADS receiver, CD player, turntable and speakers. I plugged ‘em in, ran some zip cord from the back of the receiver to the speakers, flipped a switch, turned some knobs… and away we go. Music.

I just want to play music. Music I choose, not what some goddamn streaming platform hurls at me like Muzak. 

I didn’t buy into the Sonos universe to become a tech nerd. I bought in to listen to music I select. That’s what I was able to do, without acquiring technical knowledge, without frustration, until about a month ago. Then it all went haywire because some folks at Sonos got a bug up their bottoms.

I don’t want error messages. I don’t want to sit and watch the screen on my ipad wobbling around as the Sonos app tries to load, culminating with ‘no music in queue’ after I’ve just spent half an hour gathering up tracks to put into a queue. I don’t want the volume control to work only when it’s in the mood. I don’t want to pull up some music I’m interested in hearing, determine I’d rather not hear it again, and be stuck with it in my queue unless and until I dump the entire thing. I don’t want to try to ‘work around’ a broken system.

But regardless what I want, that’s what I’ve got right now.

The bottom line is this: I’ll await a satisfactory resolution for just so long; and then if necessary, I’ll look for a more reliable option that meets my needs. 

And at that point, I will never again purchase a Sonos product or recommend a Sonos product to anyone else. Sonos may not give a damn what I do. But if, as I strongly suspect, there are tens of thousands who feel as I do, Sonos eventually may indeed give a damn; or cease to exist as a going concern.

Music playing.  App says nothing in cue.  Have to unplug

Give us the option to toggle back to the old app !

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I didn't think Sonos had made libraries inaccessible at all. I thought they had simply stopped supporting SMBv1, so people needed to migrate to SMBv2? 

The thing with libraries is there are a few different issues affecting different people (not just dropped SMBv1 support). But there are, at least in principle, solutions for all of them... 

1. For some people the issue is the mobile app doesn’t currently allow library management (adding/editing). But these individuals can still add their library via the desktop app (if they have access to a Windows or Mac computer). Alternatively they can wait until Sonos brings back library management to the mobile app (I believe in July).  
  2. For some people the issue is the network-based library they had previously been using (NAS device or USB drive connected to a router) recently stopped working. These individuals are probably the victims of the dropped SMBv1 support that you mention. As you allude, they shouldn’t be waiting for a fix from Sonos as they won’t be getting one. They have to upgrade their file sharing protocol to SMBv2 or higher (either by changing a setting on their NAS device or by upgrading it). 
  3. For others their library was stored on a Windows or Mac computer and many of these individuals won’t have been using an explicit (self-provided) network path to share their music folder. Many/most would have been using the “add music folder” or “add another folder or drive” options for adding their music library. It’s a bit opaque exactly what Sonos configures in the background when these options were used (so not sure if related to dropped SMBv1 support). But in any case it appears support for these options has been dropped. Again, individuals who used these options probably shouldn’t be waiting for a fix from Sonos for these options as it appears that won’t come. They should now be manually creating networks shares of their Windows or Mac based music folders and adding these to their system as described in a recently updated support document on adding a music library: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos 

There are some people who say that they have issues even after adding SMBv2 network shares to Sonos (and its probably worth those individuals contacting Sonos support). But I suspect the majority of people with existing issues could access their library again via one of the above-mentioned steps.

osm & Rhonny . . . 

Thanks for the clarifications above. Really helped me understand what I’ve been missing.

I’m a Mac user and have followed those steps Share your music folder in macOS, Find the network path of your shared folder and Add your shared folder to Sonos. So far so good - but no music is shown and when I try to Update Music Library Now it will index for two seconds and stop indexing. I’m no better off now than I was on May 8th.

The point that’s being made by many is that we shouldn’t have to go through all this to connect to our local music libraries. A relatively easy to use product has been made more complicated for users. That plus it took Sonos six weeks to post directions for Mac users - not exactly confidence building. Makes me wonder what they’ll do next that they think is “courageous.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Because I do not wish to use it, and should not need to - it’s another piece of software to maintain, placing additional load on my media server, to solve a problem that should not exist. My system was working perfectly until the update.

Superunknown is ABSOLUTELY correct. The consumers - those of us that have shelled out thousands of dollars on Sonos gear - should not be responsible to fix the heinous mistake by the company that sold us said equipment. Period.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@press250 @osm - seems like a year ago I read your posts this morning, but thank you both for the clear explanations - just wish Sonos would have done that.   I wondered if it was worth adding that the Sonos Playlists are tied to the path that Sonos uses, so if you have to set up you share in a different way (with a different path) your playlists are essentially gone.    

My situation was/is that I had a very old NAS - from before Sonos existed when I used a Squeezebox.  I knew that in time I needed to make a new NAS and I had already done that for a second system I own.   But that experience had taught me that I had to ensure the new NAS had EXACTLY the same file structure and naming convention as the old for my PLaylists to work.  So I knew what was required, was just blindsided as obviously I was one of the “few” that never got that ‘sorry your system is going to stop working next week’ email.

Fortunately I didnt upgrade the firmware, still have 16.1 - use Sonophone on my iphone which conveniently did upgrade, and bought a cheap android to load the old 16.1.   Have the desktop Mac app which does still work .     New NAS should be ready this week, but dont think I am ready to try the new app only because it is an irreversible step.   But I do know if I get that path information wrong that would have the effect of ‘lost’ playlists that many are complaining about.

Thanks for creating this thread, recognizing the bumpy app up(gr?)date…

But frankly, your products are not cheap. SONOS, I’ve been using your products for a fair number of years but I must say, the app has never been as user-UNfriendly as today - gradually getting worse.

I’m in the process of upgrading/replacing my speakers and am strongly considering to change to a different brand.

It’s a shame because the speakers are brilliant but the actual control of it has become underworldly! Problem is that the speakers are controlled via your app 🫤 

To name a few:

• slow/no app response (volume change, skip song, “No Music - Queue is empty” while music is playing…)
  • queue management (highlighted by yourself already)
  • As mentioned in a previous thread: I don’t find the new app very intuitive
  • Your comms is misleading - trust in products and the brand is very important.

Most of us people have a full/stressul life and playing music to relax should not contribute to this the daily hussle…

Please can you provide a timeline by which each of the features will be available? I trust you’re working hard on resolving them but you must have a release schedule.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

osm & Rhonny . . . 

Thanks for the clarifications above. Really helped me understand what I’ve been missing.

I’m a Mac user and have followed those steps Share your music folder in macOS, Find the network path of your shared folder and Add your shared folder to Sonos. So far so good - but no music is shown and when I try to Update Music Library Now it will index for two seconds and stop indexing. I’m no better off now than I was on May 8th.

In your case, I’d suggest getting in touch with Sonos support, explaining to them that you’re following the new support documentation for adding a Mac folder as a network share. If its not working for some they should look into why.

The point that’s being made by many is that we shouldn’t have to go through all this to connect to our local music libraries. A relatively easy to use product has been made more complicated for users. That plus it took Sonos six weeks to post directions for Mac users - not exactly confidence building. Makes me wonder what they’ll do next that they think is “courageous.”

I think this depends on information we don’t have access to. If very few people are regularly using the desktop app (which I suspect is the case) it becomes hard to justify dedicating resources to maintaining it when those resources could be used for other things. A consequence of decision to drop desktop app is the loss of the simpler method of adding a Windows or Mac folder (as that method can’t be implemented from mobile app). But adding a folder is not a frequent task, and although doing it via a self-created network share is more involved, its not really very difficult when you have step-by-step instructions to follow. 

So I personally don’t really see it as such a bad decision to ditch the desktop app (with associated loss of simplest way of sharing windows/mac folders with the system). But I do think they’ve done a truly awful job of managing, communicating, and supporting users though the transition.     

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@press250 @osm - seems like a year ago I read your posts this morning, but thank you both for the clear explanations - just wish Sonos would have done that.   I wondered if it was worth adding that the Sonos Playlists are tied to the path that Sonos uses, so if you have to set up you share in a different way (with a different path) your playlists are essentially gone.    

My situation was/is that I had a very old NAS - from before Sonos existed when I used a Squeezebox.  I knew that in time I needed to make a new NAS and I had already done that for a second system I own.   But that experience had taught me that I had to ensure the new NAS had EXACTLY the same file structure and naming convention as the old for my PLaylists to work.  So I knew what was required, was just blindsided as obviously I was one of the “few” that never got that ‘sorry your system is going to stop working next week’ email.

Fortunately I didnt upgrade the firmware, still have 16.1 - use Sonophone on my iphone which conveniently did upgrade, and bought a cheap android to load the old 16.1.   Have the desktop Mac app which does still work .     New NAS should be ready this week, but dont think I am ready to try the new app only because it is an irreversible step.   But I do know if I get that path information wrong that would have the effect of ‘lost’ playlists that many are complaining about.

Thanks for adding.

I don’t make use of Sonos playlists so don’t really know how they work. Do you mean the playlist files themselves can’t be found when library is moved to new location, or do you mean references inside the playlist files to the locations of individual tracks are no longer correct (perhaps because it uses absolute paths instead of relative paths)?

If the latter, have you tried editing the playlist files? I assume they are text-based files which could be opened in a text editor, in which case I wonder if you could just do a simple “replace all” on the root of the library paths within the playlist files.

Userlevel 1

Music playing.  App says nothing in cue.  Have to unplug

Give us the option to toggle back to the old app !

Had that happen yesterday morning using the iPhone APP.   Putzed around with it for a while.   Yesterday afternoon, pulled out one of our laptops and put it in the family room, updated the Windows SONOS app, and it worked great.   I have deleted the iPhone apps off of my phone and my wife’s phone and we’ll use the laptop until such time SONOS get’s their geeky little act together w/ the IOS app.

Fortunately, we now have a way that we can play music without all of the angst from the iPhone app fiasco.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Please give us old app back.  New one does not work for us as is.

I think Sonos support would appreciate the break.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

SonoPhone on App Store solved all my issues.  Near zero latency, intuitive easy quick access to everything.  I’m back in business!

Each time Sonos app is updated my experience in the ”avaliablitiy of all devices” is going worse, specially ERA 300. I don’t make any change in the configuration. For example: The devices are shown but the volume control doesn’t work, or the music is playning and the app says “not connected” and appears connected a couple of minutes after. Or Era 300 appears not found and need to re connect again and again. Or the app delays 10 seconds to be ready.

There aren’t connecticity problems. Many years ago all the devices were full connected, ever. 

Or some devices are disconnected suddenly. When I touch to connect the tick is shown, but after close the window nothing happened. Then, open the window qgain to connect and is shown disconnected again and again……

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Try SonoPhone.  Doesn’t have all features but wow it’s fast and has what I need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Or some devices are disconnected suddenly. When I touch to connect the tick is shown, but after close the window nothing happened. Then, open the window qgain to connect and is shown disconnected again and again……

Are you pressing ‘Apply’ before closing the window?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Regarding managing groups, there is now an extra step. I have to first close the group I’m looking at.  The menu at bottom that gave us quick access to everything is missing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Also, at some point, even in the old app, Sonos stopped defaulting to the last group/zone I was in when I opened it..  Now it opens with a random zone selected.  This is annoying as I sometimes select and play music in the wrong room.  Then I have to stop music. Close that group, and open group I want, reselect and start music again.  It used to be smarter.  But then again so did I.