Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2425 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Actual release notes for today’s latest app update. Yes, that really is it! (Hopefully being a Monday, this update will be one of two this week..??)

Don’t forget to run the system firmware update after updating the app.

Current software version

80.03.04 (Android)
80.03.07 (iOS)

Release date: 6/24/2024

In this update:

• Improved app connectivity for newly set up Sonos systems
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

So . . . if some unsuspecting rube buys a new pair of Sonos speakers, say the Unobtainium 3000, will there be an updated set of directions in the box on how to connect to their local music library?

Just curious.

They don’t have printed instructions for this it’s all online. 

Tongue in cheek Bumper . . . tongue in cheek.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The latest bug. On Mac the zones at the end of the volume control can not be reached, They are cut off and no way to scroll to them. In addition, overall stability is poor. I used to be able to have a playlist go for days now it frequently stops after 30 minutes to 3 hours.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Did the update on my iMac . . . still can’t update the Music Library and Music Library still shows “No selections are available” for any category within the Music Library. So much for being able to play music almost seven weeks in to this debacle.

Did the update on my iMac . . . still can’t update the Music Library and Music Library still shows “No selections are available” for any category within the Music Library. So much for being able to play music almost seven weeks in to this debacle.

How did you add the library on the Mac?  If you chose to add using anything but a networked drive (choice #3), then it isn’t going to work.  The first two choices use HTTP sharing, which is no longer supported on the mobile apps for security reasons.  You need set up an SMB v2/v3 share and then add the share using the third choice in the Mac app.  See this video:

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

No speaker firmware update for me, all my stuff still on 16.2

The new app sucks, nothing works😡
Create group keeps failing, over and over again

Why couldn't you just leave the old app S2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In what way is creating groups failing. How are you trying it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I didn't check the firmware update before and after but it’s probably a build number update. The last one was as well. Mine definitely went through an update

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

After the update of the update… today June 24 th : still impossible making playlists still impossible get my NAS to favorites… 

So I go on using SONOPHONE, the good alternative.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I didn't check the firmware update before and after but it’s probably a build number update. The last one was as well. Mine definitely went through an update

Yeah but normally they prompt you for the hardware update after the app reset. This time just happened. Consistency would be nice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Part of the problem is this: There seem to be so many issues with the new controller that are still turning up that it is well-nigh impossible for an individual user to know whether his own problem(s) are specific to his own setup or baked into the app and either a ‘known issue’ or an issue yet to be isolated and ‘known’ to the Sonos development team. The Sonos ‘update’ page is not particularly informative; it does not address many of the seemingly universal and major concerns users have identified in these many, many posts; and it does not provide a reliable timeline for expected resolution.

At this point, I’ve resolved to step back, play what music I can with the controller in its current, albeit diminished form; and wait for the dust to clear. I don’t intend to update the app further, because thus far all that seems to do is generate a whole new set of problems to be chased.

A month or so from now, I will check back in and see whether things have returned to normal to the point that I can pull down the latest iteration of the Sonos controller from the App Store; open the app; and without much if any fiddling around begin to use my system and access the pre-existing features like Sonos playlists, queue editing, reliable grouping of speakers in each room, volume control and all the rest of the functions we had up until about a month ago.

It would be awfully nice if Sonos would notify us by email if and when that time arrives… it seems Sonos is able to provide a constant flow of advertising for new products to me via email, so surely it could notify me when the app development process is finally completed and full functionality is restored.

If this unfortunate mess has not been satisfactorily resolved a month from now, it might be time to consider alternatives for music storage and playback; not a good option and one that it would be premature to take now. 

In the meantime, it seems we’re all here busting our picks and not making much progress. Sonos unquestionably has made a mess of this and lost considerable good will in the process. Hopefully that will be a lesson learned and one that will result in changes in corporate management and policy. To this point, there’s little indication of that; but time will tell. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

release notes for 80.04.07 indicate potential relief for a major complaint on here...

"Improved app connectivity for newly set up Sonos systems"

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

How did you add the library on the Mac?  If you chose to add using anything but a networked drive (choice #3), then it isn’t going to work.  The first two choices use HTTP sharing, which is no longer supported on the mobile apps for security reasons.  You need set up an SMB v2/v3 share and then add the share using the third choice in the Mac app.  See this video:

Q: How did you add the library on the Mac?

A: I’ve done it exactly as outlined above some time ago and was able to recreate the path - and no go. Then I also did it exactly as the latest Sonos directions instruct - and no go. I’m running macOS Sonoma v 14.5 which defaults to SMBv2/v3 for file sharing.

When initially done per the Sonos instructions, I did get to the point where Sonos said that the music library was set up and would take several minutes to load or words to that affect, but still - no music shows and unable to update the music library.

As I’ve said before, it shouldn't be that difficult or complicated to get this product to do what it’s supposed to do and even more frustrating when following Sonos instructions to the letter and still not being able to play music. 

A: I’ve done it exactly as outlined above some time ago and was able to recreate the path - and no go. Then I also did it exactly as the latest Sonos directions instruct - and no go. I’m running macOS Sonoma v 14.5 which defaults to SMBv2/v3 for file sharing.

When initially done per the Sonos instructions, I did get to the point where Sonos said that the music library was set up and would take several minutes to load or words to that affect, but still - no music shows and unable to update the music library.

As I’ve said before, it shouldn't be that difficult or complicated to get this product to do what it’s supposed to do and even more frustrating when following Sonos instructions to the letter and still not being able to play music. 

If you’ve set up the library and it fails on indexing, it could be this smbv2 bug. I believe this was a firmware bug so possibly still hanging around. Unfortunately the fix for this was to turn on smbv1, index then switch back. 🤦

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

If you’ve set up the library and it fails on indexing, it could be this smbv2 bug. I believe this was a firmware bug so possibly still hanging around. Unfortunately the fix for this was to turn on smbv1, index then switch back. 🤦

Bumper: To the best of  my knowledge, there is no way to revert to SMBv1 and then back to SMBv2/3 on a Mac. One can only turn SMB on or off. It’s also my understanding that macOS Sonoma v14.5 (the version I am on) defaults to SMBv2/3.

I’d gladly accept being wrong if that meant I could do a fix, but one would think Sonos has expert Mac people on their team to anticipate, experience and then fix those issues or at least provide additional details. I can only hope that as you said this is an SMB firmware bug that Sonos can address. Are you listening, Sonos?

Just my 2¢.

Bumper: To the best of  my knowledge, there is no way to revert to SMBv1 and then back to SMBv2/3 on a Mac. One can only turn SMB on or off. It’s also my understanding that macOS Sonoma v14.5 (the version I am on) defaults to SMBv2/3.

I’d gladly accept being wrong if that meant I could do a fix, but one would think Sonos has expert Mac people on their team to anticipate, experience and then fix those issues or at least provide additional details. I can only hope that as you said this is an SMB firmware bug that Sonos can address. Are you listening, Sonos?

Just my 2¢.

Yeah even if you could switch between the 2, Sonos no longer supports smbv1 (why I said “unfortunately” :) 

I dont think they anticipated any of these issues,well or they dont care or able to fix it  

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Actual release notes for today’s latest app update. Yes, that really is it! (Hopefully being a Monday, this update will be one of two this week..??)

Current software version

80.03.04 (Android)
80.03.07 (iOS)

In this update:

“Don’t forget to run the system firmware update after updating the app”???  Since when have we had to be concerned with that and, where in the iOS environment is that even located?  Are you talking about the SONOS systerm firmware update or Mac firmware?

For the record I, for whatever reason, updated the iOS app about an hour ago and… it resolved absolutely NO issues that I’ve and continue to have.

Current software version

80.03.04 (Android)
80.03.07 (iOS)

In this update:

“Don’t forget to run the system firmware update after updating the app”???  Since when have we had to be concerned with that and, where in the iOS environment is that even located?  Are you talking about the SONOS systerm firmware update or Mac firmware?

For the record I, for whatever reason, updated the iOS app about an hour ago and… it resolved absolutely NO issues that I’ve and continue to have.

It’s the firmware on the Sonos device. In the app go Settings> Manage > System Updates > Check for updates.

You might want to turn off auto updates in this screen and then Check the community before every manual update to make sure it is safe to do so.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Current software version

80.03.04 (Android)
80.03.07 (iOS)

In this update:

It’s the firmware on the Sonos device. In the app go Settings> Manage > System Updates > Check for updates.

You might want to turn off auto updates in this screen and then Check the community before every manual update to make sure it is safe to do so.

Bumper… Thanks for the tip and the warning.  Quick clarification please: By “the firmware on the Sonos device”, are you referring to the firmware in the speakers themselves or the app?  If it’s the hardware, I more than likely wait until (IF) Sonos releases an update so we don’t have to do the sleuthing and leg work for them. I mean, my speakers still work using the S2 desktop controller and, as my TV home theater.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I don't use the iPad app very often and my recently played aren't shown up in it? Was that always app dependant or is that a new change? I had the impression that it worked between my Android phone and iPad but can't be certain.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

okay, so having played an album and started a new one my iPad app Recently played now says unable to load content. Anyone else have this issue? Recently played on my android phone app seems fine. I guess it’s another local library issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Current software version

80.03.04 (Android)
80.03.07 (iOS)

In this update:

Bumper… Thanks for the tip and the warning.  Quick clarification please: By “the firmware on the Sonos device”, are you referring to the firmware in the speakers themselves or the app?  If it’s the hardware, I more than likely wait until (IF) Sonos releases an update so we don’t have to do the sleuthing and leg work for them. I mean, my speakers still work using the S2 desktop controller and, as my TV home theater.

Bumper.., Sorry about that previous post. I found the System Update in the App. It more than implied to update the products in order to use the new features - or something to that effect. Honestly, I’m a bit nervous to that after we’ve all been through. All I can think is that, if I update the speakers, I could be right in the abyss that we were all pushed into when this stinkin’ app was released.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

App  iOS update today to 80.03.07 but no new hardware update....

I had the full firmware update after updating the iOS app earlier.

Hello @Rhonny , may I ask what you found when you did the "full firmware update"?

I got prompted to do it earlier but, what with one thing and another, am very suspicious indeed about taking that plunge. 

I am on Android, so the experience may not be exactly the same,  but it would be great to hear that it brought back all sorts of functionalities we have been missing for the last several weeks. 

Or maybe not. 

Cheers, 

John

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

App  iOS update today to 80.03.07 but no new hardware update....

I had the full firmware update after updating the iOS app earlier.

Hello @Rhonny , may I ask what you found when you did the "full firmware update"?

I got prompted to do it earlier but, what with one thing and another, am very suspicious indeed about taking that plunge. 

I am on Android, so the experience may not be exactly the same,  but it would be great to hear that it brought back all sorts of functionalities we have been missing for the last several weeks. 

Or maybe not. 

Cheers, 

John

Man, I am so relating to John’s feeling of apprehension about updating firmware/hardware. I too would appreciate someone’s recent experience in performing that function.