Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

To complete the list:

• Own radio stations are preserved but can no longer be started (TuneIn -> My Radio Stations)
  • The network settings are missing. (System Settings -> Network; Manage Networks and Sonosnet Channel)

Speaking of SonosNet, did I read somewhere that the new ERA 100 speakers does not support SonosNet? I know I read it somewhere, but can’t find it again.  

The 300, 100, move, roam and ace do not support sonosnet.

Sonos would have said it took “courage” to remove everything good about Sonos to put out the minimally viable product to squeeze money from anyone who took the bait.

Nah I would imagine they have data that says that sonosnet is causing issues or is less reliable in more cases and wifi is a better option for most. I could be wrong but sonosnet has been a competitive advantage, they wouldn’t drop it if wifi wasn’t better. But maybe I’m wrong.

My iPhone app just showed My Library. Weird. Added content to the queue and played it. 

“Recently Played” says it’ll show content once played. It doesn’t. 

“Favorites” aren’t showing. Error message says “fails to show favorites.”  Yes, I’d say so. 

Now My Library went away from home page. 

sigh. 

To complete the list:

• Own radio stations are preserved but can no longer be started (TuneIn -> My Radio Stations)
  • The network settings are missing. (System Settings -> Network; Manage Networks and Sonosnet Channel)

Speaking of SonosNet, did I read somewhere that the new ERA 100 speakers does not support SonosNet? I know I read it somewhere, but can’t find it again.  

Thank you Bumper. I just found that by doing a search on Google. And I don’t know if you read my last post, I upgraded one of my iPads to the latest IOS update late yesterday and finally got around to testing it this morning. It would load and there’s a message along the top that says ‘can’t load content’  so nothing works.  Luckily I didn’t update the iPad in our bedroom and that is still working, but took a while to play the first selected song in my playlist. It actually started another song three songs down the playlist, but once it started playing then it continued in the proper order.  So I don’t know what to make of this. I did check to make sure my Windows Controller was still pointing to my NAS drive and that was okay.

To complete the list:

Thank you Bumper. I just found that by doing a search on Google. And I don’t know if you read my last post, I upgraded one of my iPads to the latest IOS update late yesterday and finally got around to testing it this morning. It wouldn’t load and there’s a message along the top that says ‘can’t load content’  so nothing works.  Luckily I didn’t update the iPad in our bedroom and that is still working, but took a while to play the first selected song in my playlist. It actually started another song three songs down the playlist, but once it started playing then it continued in the proper order.  So I don’t know what to make of this. I did check to make sure my Windows Controller was still pointing to my NAS drive and that was okay.

Sonos is total garbage since the update.

It just doesn't work anymore. 

Please DO NOT “improve” the Windows app.

Leave it like it is… 🙂

I’m at my wit's end.  Bought a new modem, upgraded my internet service, did a factory reset of all speakers, used a dedicated test router, opened an account with Tidal (in case it’s Deezer, which I’ve had/loved for years - after downgrading from the Family plan in case it was Sonos’ ability to handle multiple accounts), and … Sonos still drops stereo pairs, speakers, etc.

I downloaded the latest Android app last night. The firmware finally updated after half a dozen errors. I could group the speakers, play music, etc. -- all painfully sluggish, but still.

However, 30 seconds into my first “all speakers” stream, one of the speakers drops out (not a stereo pair), and we hear a loud “pop” from that speakers - I’m talking a full-volume pop. Unplug all the speakers, reboot the router. Same thing, same speaker! Then comes the loudest lightsabre out of another speaker in another room - I think it was the ARC, but not sure. Try resetting/rebooting yet again and, FFS, yet again, the light sabre/screeching!! 

I’d be okay if whatever Sonos has done is just a big ClusterF they’re fixing, but I have no idea what they’ve done or if they think it is. Forget features, I don't care about them at all at this stage. I’m losing confidence in the company/ecosystem and don’t have the time to stay on hold with tech support during Eastern hours.

Has anyone else had the popping/cracking/screeching since the last firmware update?

Has Sonos acknowledged that speakers are getting dropped, the entire system lost, rooms not pairing together, stereo pairs separating, etc.? Are these “known” problems they’re working on?

I’m thinking of keeping my surround setup, since that seems fine when used with the TV, and ditching the rest of the speakers. I don’t need a multi-room setup at this stage. I just want reliable sound and, from what I can gather from the various forums, Sonos has moved away from us old folks to cater to those who don’t need the Sonos app to stream Spotify via Bluetooth, in which case why stick to a proprietary system that’s dependent on Sonos software to work? 

Against my better judgment, I updated the app on my ipad and then updated my system in the ‘manage’ section of the app.

As far as I can see, nothing has changed. Recently played still says ‘unable to download content.’ Sonos Playlists nowhere to be found. No queue editing. App slow to open. Now and then the queue will disappear at startup and say ‘no music.’ I have to restart my ipad and pray the queue will resurface.

On the plus side, it does not appear to have gotten worse. But it’s hard to get worse than ‘FUBAR.’

If I go to the web controller via Safari, I do see Sonos playlists. But the controller works erratically.

I won’t bother to try again for a while.

I’m at my wit's end.  Bought a new modem, upgraded my internet service, did a factory reset of all speakers, used a dedicated test router, opened an account with Tidal (in case it’s Deezer, which I’ve had/loved for years - after downgrading from the Family plan in case it was Sonos’ ability to handle multiple accounts), and … Sonos still drops stereo pairs, speakers, etc.

I downloaded the latest Android app last night. The firmware finally updated after half a dozen errors. I could group the speakers, play music, etc. -- all painfully sluggish, but still.

However, 30 seconds into my first “all speakers” stream, one of the speakers drops out (not a stereo pair), and we hear a loud “pop” from that speakers - I’m talking a full-volume pop. Unplug all the speakers, reboot the router. Same thing, same speaker! Then comes the loudest lightsabre out of another speaker in another room - I think it was the ARC, but not sure. Try resetting/rebooting yet again and, FFS, yet again, the light sabre/screeching!! 

I’d be okay if whatever Sonos has done is just a big ClusterF they’re fixing, but I have no idea what they’ve done or if they think it is. Forget features, I don't care about them at all at this stage. I’m losing confidence in the company/ecosystem and don’t have the time to stay on hold with tech support during Eastern hours.

Has anyone else had the popping/cracking/screeching since the last firmware update?

Has Sonos acknowledged that speakers are getting dropped, the entire system lost, rooms not pairing together, stereo pairs separating, etc.? Are these “known” problems they’re working on?

I’m thinking of keeping my surround setup, since that seems fine when used with the TV, and ditching the rest of the speakers. I don’t need a multi-room setup at this stage. I just want reliable sound and, from what I can gather from the various forums, Sonos has moved away from us old folks to cater to those who don’t need the Sonos app to stream Spotify via Bluetooth, in which case why stick to a proprietary system that’s dependent on Sonos software to work? 

yep… that’s what I’m using my Sonos system for what it is (not much).. playbar/arc are glorified tv speakers with airplay…  amp will be replaced soon with a small av receiver. you know one of those low cost speaker/tv company in the big box store probably has more working features than Sonos right now. They might not sound as good but it surely makes more sound than Sonos for a lot of people. 🤣

To complete the list:

Sonos would have said it took “courage” to remove everything good about Sonos to put out the minimally viable product to squeeze money from anyone who took the bait.

Nah I would imagine they have data that says that sonosnet is causing issues or is less reliable in more cases and wifi is a better option for most. I could be wrong but sonosnet has been a competitive advantage, they wouldn’t drop it if wifi wasn’t better. But maybe I’m wrong.

Seems fine to me. My Bluray player sits on top of my playbase which is connected by ethernet and when I added a apple TV+ to it it did play up but when I swapped them around it was actually even a little more stable than before.

I was thinking Sonosnet is going because they changed the connection on the new era speakers and that might make it problematic or impossible?

Edit to add I am in a small apartment block so I imagine there's lots of interference without any real issues for me.

@Keith - Sonos - Changing alarm schedule requires superuser/owner login.  This is not in parity with the old version.  My kids can’t change their alarms anymore, and I’m certainly not giving them access to the system owner account.

Please RESTORE this functionality.

What legal steps can be taken? How can we push SONOS to allow us to use the old application on iOS? I am not happy at all to continue being an alpha tester for the crappy new application… I think that they will never make it work, the basic design is obviously terrible. They simply do not want to admit the obvious. The only way out for them and us is to appoint a new CEO who can then do the rollback and try to save the company :-(

What legal steps can be taken? How can we push SONOS to allow us to use the old application on iOS? I am not happy at all to continue being an alpha tester for the crappy new application… I think that they will never make it work, the basic design is obviously terrible. They simply do not want to admit the obvious. The only way out for them and us is to appoint a new CEO who can then do the rollback and try to save the company :-(

You can still use the old version on iOS. I still have the old version on my iOS device and it works. The issue is partly that Apple doesn't provide an easy way to roll back to an older version of an app once you have a newer version installed. On Android it's comparatively easy to roll back to old versions.

I definitely agree the root issue is that Sonos should have released the new app as a beta app separate from the stable app (in which case there would be no need to roll back). But I think part of the annoyance of iOS users should also be directed at Apple for not providing an easy way to roll back to prior versions of apps.

You can still use the old version on iOS. I still have the old version on my iOS device and it works. The issue is partly that Apple doesn't provide an easy way to roll back to an older version of an app once you have a newer version installed. On Android it's comparatively easy to roll back to old versions.

I definitely agree the root issue is that Sonos should have released the new app as a beta app separate from the stable app (in which case there would be no need to roll back). But I think part of the annoyance of iOS users should also be directed at Apple for not providing an easy way to roll back to prior versions of apps.

Thank you. Indeed I installed the new SONOS app version, respectively it was installed automatically. To be honest I would not blame Apple - these are the rules of the game and normally they do work. SONOS published a crappy, not tested application and it is, as I see it, their responsibility to publish an alternative - they can call it differently “… V XY” and most of the users would be happy for the time being. SONOS really does not understand what thy are doing to the users’ community and to the Company - on the mid- & long-term many will never again use SONOS, but the CEO obviously does not care - when the worst happens he will be somewhere else not caring about us and not caring about the SONOS employees who will potentially lose their jobs because of this lasting mess. 

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Okay, I agree with this statement, since that is my feelings also., But this morning, June 26, 2024, I went into my Windows 10 Controller app and noticed the double arrows telling me that there is a Sonos Controller update pending. I did click on anything yet and don’t know what to do.  Did anyone update their Windows Controller/app yet?  

Okay, I agree with this statement, since that is my feelings also., But this morning, June 26, 2024, I went into my Windows 10 Controller app and noticed the double arrows telling me that there is a Sonos Controller update pending. I did click on anything yet and don’t know what to do.  Did anyone update their Windows Controller/app yet?  

I’ve updated. Seems to be OK. I think there’s been enough time that if there was a big bug it would have shown up in a thread here but YMMV

Did anyone update their Windows Controller/app yet?  

Yesterday I tried to update the controler via the Sonos windows 10 app, it failed ~2 times, then I gave up.

After that, I installed the newest version of the Windos 10 app, and then when I tried to update the controller, it tells me that the controller is up to date.

… I don’t even wanna know… 🤪 🙃

Leave it like it is… 🙂

They won’t be making any significant changes to the Windows controller app. Only updates going forward will probably be compatibility updates to allow it to interact with newer versions of system/speaker firmware. However, at some point the Windows app will become unsupported.

Leave it like it is… 🙂

I always update the Windows app whenever it asks to be updated. Am currently on v16.2 build 79153290. But I think its been more than a week since I had a prompt to update. You can check your build via Help > About

Did anyone update their Windows Controller/app yet?  

Yesterday I tried to update the controler via the Sonos windows 10 app, it failed ~2 times, then I gave up.

After that, I installed the newest version of the Windos 10 app, and then when I tried to update the controller, it tells me that the controller is up to date.

… I don’t even wanna know… 🤪 🙃

Thank you serban. Maybe later I’ll give it a try later. I’m showing the two arrows in opposite directions on the top line, which usually indicates an update is available. If that doesn’t work, maybe you should try directly from the Sonos Download page. I want to first add and remove some songs from one or two of my playlists, since this currently, is the only way to do it. 

Leave it like it is… 🙂

They won’t be making any significant changes to the Windows controller app. Only updates going forward will probably be compatibility updates to allow it to interact with newer versions of system/speaker firmware. However, at some point the Windows app will become unsupported.

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Okay, I agree with this statement, since that is my feelings also., But this morning, June 26, 2024, I went into my Windows 10 Controller app and noticed the double arrows telling me that there is a Sonos Controller update pending. I didn’t click on anything yet and don’t know what to do.  Did anyone update their Windows Controller/app yet?  

I always update the Windows app whenever it asks to be updated. Am currently on v16.2 build 79153290. But I think its been more than a week since I had a prompt to update. You can check your build via Help > About

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Okay, I agree with this statement, since that is my feelings also., But this morning, June 26, 2024, I went into my Windows 10 Controller app and noticed the double arrows telling me that there is a Sonos Controller update pending. I didn’t click on anything yet and don’t know what to do.  Did anyone update their Windows Controller/app yet?  

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Leave it like it is… 🙂

Thank you osm. That’s what I’m running right now, but like I said, it is saying “Update Now” and I’m tempted to try it.  The last time I did this it took a while and was doing something to all my Sonos devices. I don’t know if that’s considered a firmware update.  

Unfortunately, the software has always left something to be desired.  We've always had quirky issues.  However, with the release of the major app update recently, our home's speakers are nearly useless.  The app in itself is such a convoluted mess and has stripped out any intuitive features it once had.  User experience for simply combining speakers, adjusting volume, assigning line-in to speakers, etc is such a non-intuitive cluster of a process resulting in a lot of frustration.  This app feels like it was handed to a team of middle-schoolers learning how to make an app.

I wish it ended there and not the worst of it.  The app no longer finds all speakers in the home and randomly adds and drops speakers throughout the day.  The app no longer combines speakers when we tell it to.  The app will drop speakers after starting music and there's no way to turn the music off unless you unplug speakers.  The app will not turn music on. The app will not adjust volumes when requested.  The app has significant lag and delay communicating to speakers.  The app plays music in rooms we never told it to.  The app shows its playing a song that isn’t actually playing on the speakers.

We are left with thousands of dollars of speakers with literal minds of their own and little way to control them.  Reading app reviews indicates this is a significant issue with anyone with Sonos products.  Do your supporters right, and eliminate this new app and revert back to what works until all of this mess is figured out. 

Thank you osm. That’s what I’m running right now, but like I said, it is saying “Update Now” and I’m tempted to try it.  The last time I did this it took a while and was doing something to all my Sonos devices. I don’t know if that’s considered a firmware update.  

It might be a prompt for system firmware update rather than controller update. The build for my system/speaker firmware is 79154060. You can check from the same place as where you checked for controller app build. I think I may have done a system update a couple of days ago after installing latest version of mobile app. But I would have done this via the mobile app rather than the Windows app.  

General thoughts…

Does anyone think, at 93 pages, that the team at Sonos can learn anything more from people’s unhappiness with the app?

Surely there is nothing more that can possibly be said?

Surely every single issue that can possibly be raised has now been raised?

The issues might manifest in different ways on different systems, but there will be a fundamental series of coding issues that, once fixed, will lead to the remedy of all issues. And those issues that aren’t remedied will be no different than the huge numbers of issues that have been raised on this forum way before this new app was rolled out. 

I am not an unconditional supporter of Sonos, but do people think that repeatedly saying “I’m not happy with this”, time and time again, will make Sonos reply with anything different to their ongoing “Yep, we get that and we’re working on it”, or move any quicker than they currently are??

Their CEO will not resign. The iOS app will not be rolled back. 

This thread - and the myriad others since 7th May - feels to me nothing more than a receptacle for gripes, acting as a rant graveyard that helps Sonos ensure the complainants never actually contact them. 

It might be a prompt for system firmware update rather than controller update. The build for my system/speaker firmware is 79154060. You can check from the same place as where you checked for controller app build. I think I may have done a system update a couple of days ago after installing latest version of mobile app. But I would have done this via the mobile app rather than the Windows app.  

I’ll go up and check in a bit. Thank you for helping me understand the difference between the controller update and a firmware update.