Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2392 replies

I am a long time user of Sonos across multiple homes and pieces of equipment. I’ve talked many friends into a Sonos system. This new app has me about to purchase a different product and discard my Sonos. I can’t deal with can’t connect error messages anymore. Was this thing tested? Combine that with the inability to contact anyone live at the company. I’ve spent lots of money on sonos and this is what I get. You have got to be kidding. No way to run a business and satisfy your customer

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I am a long time user of Sonos across multiple homes and pieces of equipment. I’ve talked many friends into a Sonos system. This new app has me about to purchase a different product and discard my Sonos. I can’t deal with can’t connect error messages anymore. Was this thing tested? Combine that with the inability to contact anyone live at the company. I’ve spent lots of money on sonos and this is what I get. You have got to be kidding. No way to run a business and satisfy your customer

Let me know how selling your Sonos system works for you.  I upgraded my Play 1s with Fives in my family room less than a year ago.  I wanted the enhanced music playback and now I just have an over-powered home theater set up that I could’ve gotten for much less elsewhere.  I’m assuming that I’ll be eating the cost of those Fives as it will be next to impossible to justify replacing my system with an alternative brand.  Yeah, I can play music from a desktop controller (that I had to reinstall) but, I don’t have any control via my iPhone to swap artists, songs, rooms and/or anything else.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sorry, jgatie. Good for you if everything is hunky dory at your house after this new app came to town.

It just ain’t so for me, and it seems clear a small army of Sonos users are in the same boat. That’s why Sonos support is overwhelmed; and why the best support usually has to offer is ‘be patient; it’s a known issue; we’re working on it.’

My Sonos playlists are gone. Thus far, Sonos has not provided any assurance I will be able to recover them. I’ve said this before, but the analogy is apt: it’s as though someone walked into my home and burned all of my books. It’s a rather devastating loss.

For two weeks, I could not even create a queue. I could play one track and then had to go back to find and play another. Now that I can actually line tracks up in a queue, I cannot edit a queue, or maintain more than one queue at a time. And intermittently, the app will freeze and disappear my entire queue.

I have three stereo pairs in my home. The app often will refuse to group these three pairs or remove a pair from the active group.

I’m not making this up. I’m not being a MAGA cultist. I have a substantial sum of money and hours of effort sunk into my Sonos speakers and the Sonos playlists I created over the course of years.

All of it was working seamlessly, effortlessly and flawlessly until that sad day when Sonos management decided to unleash a new and fundamentally flawed app on Sonos users. 

One more thing… I did not have autoupdate activated on my ipad and iphone. Nevertheless, I somehow wound up with this new app, essentially against my will. And for a month now, my network security software has been sending me ‘suspicious activity’ notifications that indicate Sonos is attempting to get into my network.

Sorry, but something terribly wrong is going on here. Denying that it’s real and blaming the victims isn’t going to resolve the problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Check the news.  Washington post, Forbes, and more. Everyone in the world knows the new app is not up to par. What will it take for the Sonos product team to understand.  I feel so bad for the support staff for having to all the backlash. I have never post anything negative until this update.  I’ve been a user for 10 years.  What will it take????

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Check the news.  Washington post, Forbes, and more. Everyone in the world knows the new app is not up to par. What will it take for the Sonos product team to understand.  I feel so bad for the support staff for having to all the backlash. I have never post anything negative until this update.  I’ve been a user for 10 years.  What will it take????

I’m at the ten year mark myself and, like you have loved my Sonos system. I’ve even talked others into investing in it. Let’s hope that corporate is listening and will take appropriate action to reverse this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@chambolle 

While you wait for the app to be fully completed, have you tried downloading the Windows or Mac version of the Sonos app to see if your Playlists appear there? With those apps being closer in functionality to the old app, it would be worth a go. My Mac desktop app works like a charm - and is like using the old app (except of course without the ability yet to edit queues/playlists etc).

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I’ve not tried that. But if that’s where my existing playlists can be found, worth a try. Can I do that in safari on my ipad or do I need to fire up an old laptop?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve not tried that. But if that’s where my existing playlists can be found, worth a try. Can I do that in safari on my ipad or do I need to fire up an old laptop?

iPad would be the same-ish app as the phone. Safari, Sonos website, download Mac desktop version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

But if that’s where my existing playlists can be found

Your playlists never left the building. They were (and are) located in your Sonos boxes. It's just the new app that's hiding them from sight.

Userlevel 1

How on earth did this get rolled out with so many problems - amongst many of the new features the most frustrating one for me is that it doesn’t automatically connect between the two different systems I have - every time I move between the house and the garden office I have to search and reconnect..some of the time it doesn't find the system at all without shutting it down completely and starting again.

I’ve had enough of this new App so have reinstalled the old one - everything is good again - except Sonos radio, which I never used anyway. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@chambolle

While you wait for the app to be fully completed, have you tried downloading the Windows or Mac version of the Sonos app to see if your Playlists appear there? With those apps being closer in functionality to the old app, it would be worth a go. My Mac desktop app works like a charm - and is like using the old app (except of course without the ability yet to edit queues/playlists etc).

I’m not at my desk when I’m in the pool on patio.  I need playlists on my phone as I’ve had for ten years with this product.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@chambolle

I’m not at my desk when I’m in the pool on patio.  I need playlists on my phone as I’ve had for ten years with this product.

Yeah, you know I can’t do anything about that?

(Are your Playlists not coming up as a section under Sonos Favourites?)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@chambolle

No they are not.  I am referring to ‘Sonos Playlists’ that used to be under ‘My Sonos’.  Both no longer exist in the new app. :(.  

And there are not plans to add them back in the new app.  Guess they are lost forever even though they are still stored on the speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@chambolle

No they are not.  I am referring to ‘Sonos Playlists’ that used to be under ‘My Sonos’.  Both no longer exist in the new app. :(.  

And there are not plans to add them back in the new app.  Guess they are lost forever even though they are still stored on the speakers.

What screen appears when you press Sonos Favourites? I have Sonos Favourites as the title, with Recently Added as one row, and Sonos Playlists as a row below that. I’m just curious as to what you see there on your app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I can see my Sonos Play Lists in the App on Android in the Play List section.

Whilst its not on the published list of items planned for reinstatement I think Sonos will be adding editing playlists to the new app eventually.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@chambolle

What screen appears when you press Sonos Favourites? I have Sonos Favourites as the title, with Recently Added as one row, and Sonos Playlists as a row below that. I’m just curious as to what you see there on your app.

I see Recently Added and Playlists.  Under Playlists there are only three listed,  I imagine I had marked them as favorites at some point.  But not the others.  I can’t see them on the phone.  I can see them in the web app but no way to mark as favorites.  I check the controller desktop app and there I can mark them as favorites.  Then they show up under favorites.  Guess I have a work around now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Guess they are lost forever even though they are still stored on the speakers.

They're not lost. Just use the Windows Desktop Controller or the Mac App for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@chambolle

I see Recently Added and Playlists.  Under Playlists there are only three listed,  I imagine I had marked them as favorites at some point.  But not the others.  I can’t see them on the phone.  I can see them in the web app but no way to mark as favorites.  I check the controller desktop app and there I can mark them as favorites.  Then they show up under favorites.  Guess I have a work around now.

Is the text “View All” to the right of Playlists?

I had to press that to see all of mine.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Guess they are lost forever even though they are still stored on the speakers.

They're not lost. Just use the Windows Desktop Controller or the Mac App for now.

They are lost for ever on my phone.  Im rarely at my desk when in the pool or on patio.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@chambolle

Is the text “View All” to the right of Playlists?

I had to press that to see all of mine.

Yes, tried that.  They don’t show up for me unless I mark them as favorites in the desktop app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

They are lost for ever on my phone.

No they're not. They're temporarily lost and access to them will be restored in the near future, as has been said many times.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

They are lost for ever on my phone.

No they're not. They're temporarily lost and access to them will be restored in the near future, as has been said many times.

I’m not sure what near future means.  Where has this been said?  I’m not trying to be difficult and apologize if I am, but I’ve asked Sonos and they have not replied and I do not see ‘Sonos Playlists’ in any of there communications.  Can you share any documentation you have regarding ‘Sonos Playlist’ being added in near future?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you share any documentation you have regarding ‘Sonos Playlist’ being added in near future?

Here you go.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Can you share any documentation you have regarding ‘Sonos Playlist’ being added in near future?

Here you go.

There is no mention of Sonos Playlist there.  The closest I see is Playlist editing which is ambiguous and does not indicate I’ll have access to my Sonos Playlists.  I’ve tried to get a straight forward answer but have been unable to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There is no mention of Sonos Playlist there.  The closest I see is Playlist editing which is ambiguous and does not indicate I’ll have access to my Sonos Playlists.

It mentions 'playlist editing'. You can only edit a playlist when playlists exist. Me thinks you're nitpicking.