Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Lately I´m giving a chance to the new app (of course keeping the old one in my other cellphone like a treasure...).

In the Android version of the app, apart of the usual dozens of “something went wrong” messages, songs randongly interrupted or skipped, sound lost while the progress bar is still showing the progress, unnacetable laggy performance, etc, etc…, does anybody know if there is a date in the plan, or if it is even in the updates plan, to be able again to add new songs to a Sonos List? And also to create a new one? So far, with the new app, I still can access and play the content of my old Sonos lists (for instance, I have one where I add my favourite dolby atmos songs from Apple Music), but I cannot add new songs to it or remove any from it, neither edit the list. To do that, I still need to go to the old app. The only option currently available in the new app is to add a song to Sonos favourites, which is of course not enought useful.

Edit: I´ve updated the app to the last version 5 minutes ago, and the numbers in the volume bar are now back, as well as the mute button (in the left side of the bar), but nothing concerning the Sonos lists.

Awful new app.Keeps dropping out ,not connecting with some speakers ..why did sono release this new app before testing..very poor ..if there was an alternative would gladly move ..

I am having the same damn problem everyday. “Something went wrong ...” It won’t connect.

New update, seems they are adding back some features, and fixing some bugs… will try this eve, at least something is happening

Details of changes/fixes/additions here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/app-update-17-june-2024-6898048

Installed update 80.03.06.

Problem persists for devices broken by the 80.x update (repeated disconnects)

I read that currently it is not possible to downgrade products to S1?  Does anyone know when it will be possible to do it again?  I plan to downgrade everything it’s posssible to do so, so that I don’t have to use the new app!!!

Awful app, not usable and wish there was another third party app to control speakers 

Awful app, not usable and wish there was another third party app to control speakers 

Try this and/or this.

There is. Sonophone or Sonopad.

This is great. I’ll check into them. Thank you for all of your time and effort. 

Does it matter if the Sonos app doesn’t recognized a speaker correctly for this app to correct it?

Disappointingly todays update doesn't address the ability to search a local library, as was promised for mid-June earlier on in the process. 

Android update, 80.03.03, a lick of new lipstick, same old pig.

Some nice little things like numbers for loudness, a mute button, and the play now/next/add to end queue functionality (or did that come in a few days ago?) but still no sign of the most fundamental facility. 

Without search on local the local library the app remains pretty much crippled, quite apart from all the library visibility, lag, speaker drop etc issues and my favourite bugbear, no sign of any AlbumArt. Except from streaming services, which I prefer not to use. 

It's still a really ugly pig with a bit of lipstick that doesn't make it in the least bit acceptable. 

How long must we wait?

Simple piece of feedback. I absolutely hate the new app. I’ve tried living with it to see if its just the change thing I don’t like but no. Its just awful, its not intuitive at all and I find I’m just not using my Sonos as much because its such a faff to try and do anything with it. Terrible update.

Hi @jreddaway, I share your frustration with the new Android app. I’m running the new app on iOS and iPadOS, so I can say with firsthand experience that the Android app has far more issues.

None of us will ever know this ‘thinking’ behind releasing the new app when Sonos did. Safe to say that the dev team has been in a chaotic scramble to ‘fix’ it ever since. It seems part of that chaos is unevenness between the iOS and Android versions. Hopefully, as the chaos subsides the Android app will be every bit as functional as the iOS app … whatever that means. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hopefully, as the chaos subsides the Android app will be every bit as functional as the iOS app … whatever that means. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dysfunctional parity? that’s how low the bar is now. 🙄

All I have heard and keep hearing is how terrible the new app is… I 100% agree and feel like they should walk it back to the old way of running.

I used to rave about Sonos to people because I’ve had a system for so long, lucky enough I have been able to hold back from upgrading from even the old S1 app because honestly it does a fantastic job still and don’t really see a huge difference or need to upgrade. I mean I do have products that can’t upgrade but at least I’ve figured out to downgrade S2 products! Made me so happy that was an option. Now I definitely will not be raving about product to say the least.

Don’t wanna be mean but from what I’ve seen and heard it’s like you guys tried to fix something that wasn’t broken or bad….? I just don’t get it…. Who ever made this decision made a very bad one. I know in our AV company if this doesn’t get a WHOLE lot better or get fixed we are going to have a bunch of unhappy clients and will force us to stop selling the product. 

Do the smart thing and walk it back to the old way and features of operation.

Latest Android version and I've gone from Something Went Wrong to having no system. I'm starting to take this as a sign, particularly since, to my knowledge, there's been no acknowledgement from Sonos that this is even a problem, let alone one they're working on.

EDITED to add a link to a post that's exactly what I'm looking for, ideally with Sonos acknowledging the issues so I know they're at least aware of, and working on, them. 

The new app upgrade is not user friendly at all. Also takes forever just to get to one of your speakers, pair them, set sound quality etc. To many steps. Sonos made it way to complicated then it needed to be. Please change this back or make it similar to the last one. I own 15 Sonos speakers but this new app makes me want to sell them. Just saying 🤷🏽‍♂️. 

Not sure if it’s just a coincidence or not but I’ve noticed the last few days that my Arc doesn’t auto switch the audio to tv anymore (none of the connected equipment has been changed). Even manually selecting TV in the Sonos app doesn’t do it, I have to power off the Arc and then it’s fine once it comes back on 😣. I’ve now plugged it into a smart plug so I can power it off and on again when I want to watch TV now 🙄

With the new update 80.03.06 TruePlay is broken. My systems sounds like an aquarium.

the app is horrible and even with updates that should improve things you brake other things. 

The new app is atrocious. My entire Sonos system is now unusable. The only thing that works at least some of the time is the Windows app but that means I need a PC for the simplest of things such as adjusting the volume.

Why don't they pull the new app untill it gets fixed and reinstate the old one?

Of course you can't get through to anyone to get help.

What a godawful mess.

Since the latest app update I receive connection problems almost everytime I try to play a song. Sonos, this is simply incredible. I am so fed up. How is it possible to screw up a bad app even more with updates? Telling customers to reset their router did not work in the last 30 days and will certainly not work in the next 30 if you can’t fix the app. How long does the management board want to move on like this? 

So SMB v1 is no longer supported and need to migrate to V2, Mac has only one option, Enable SMB. From my understanding it’s already capable of accepting V2 and should have no trouble with finding my music library and adding it. But that’s not the case, There is a work around to adding it, but that was found by a forum member, not Sonos. There are steps of knowing what your real name is listed on your device, and sure it’s the correct font or having extra spaces or it will not work. It’a not seamless like in the past. I will say, once it’s added, it seems to work fine.

Still wonder why other music services are grayed out, it shows them, they do not have any functionality either. That’s another issue that still seems to be still there, Pandora works fine and not affected by the greyed out icons. but many others are. This is in reference to Favorites listed on the home screen. 

How is it possible to release a new version of the app that is this bad?

Over the last ten years I have convinced many friends to join the Sonos family, now I’m ashamed…

The new app is messy, laggy and lack features.

I would pay a lot to go back go back to the old version.

PLEASE fix this NOW!

So SMB v1 is no longer supported and need to migrate to V2, Mac has only one option, Enable SMB. From my understanding it’s already capable of accepting V2 and should have no trouble with finding my music library and adding it. But that’s not the case, There is a work around to adding it, but that was found by a forum member, not Sonos. There are steps of knowing what your real name is listed on your device, and sure it’s the correct font or having extra spaces or it will not work. It’a not seamless like in the past. I will say, once it’s added, it seems to work fine.

I asked chatGPT what version of SMB Mac OS X uses, it responded it depends on the version of OS X.  For Sonoma, the default is v3 but it will accept v2 client requests.  When I asked what was the source of that response, it provided a link to Apple SMB documentation. 

Unless you’re running a stone age version of Mac OS X, I don’t think the Mac (as server) is the problem.