Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2383 replies

Dang Sonos!

The new app is sluggish and full of bugs. Can’t adjust volume on speaker. Couldn’t setup my system with my iOS phone. Had to revert to an Android tablet due to the crappy iOS Sonos app. Total misery from iOS app performance point of view. Utter disappointment! Been a Sonos user for ten years and have degree in computer science. I can tell when the sofware is to be blamed… I tell you - I blame the software. Wake up Sonos, what is your plan to resolve this mess?

You show six rooms grouped in your screenshot - so maybe the sluggishness is related to the local network - I’ve seen other complain of the new Sonos App being slow when adjusting volume for example, but it seems fine to me, both on iOS and Android mobile controllers. See attached, whilst having 6 rooms grouped here, there’s no issue adjusting the volume on all 6 rooms.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Dismal share-price performance. The NASDAQ Index is up 126% and the S&P 500 up 88% over the same period. Just pointing this out because you have to criticized others in this thread for a lack of context and definition in their posts. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dang Sonos!

The new app is sluggish and full of bugs. Can’t adjust volume on speaker. Couldn’t setup my system with my iOS phone. Had to revert to an Android tablet due to the crappy iOS Sonos app. Total misery from iOS app performance point of view. Utter disappointment! Been a Sonos user for ten years and have degree in computer science. I can tell when the sofware is to be blamed… I tell you - I blame the software. Wake up Sonos, what is your plan to resolve this mess?

You show six rooms grouped in your screenshot - so maybe the sluggishness is related to the local network - I’ve seen other complain of the new Sonos App being slow when adjusting volume for example, but it seems fine to me, both on iOS and Android mobile controllers. See attached, whilst having 6 rooms grouped here, there’s no issue adjusting the volume on all 6 rooms.

If you observe closely you can discover one of the speakers does not offer any volume control. When it comes to amount of “rooms” it has worked fine for past seven years. The latest iOS app update resulted in a stunningly gorgeous * and pretty much bricked the whole setup. So thanks Sonos…

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Exactly the same issue here… worked for several years, no issues until the new app. And some rooms do not have volume adjustment…

Dismal share-price performance. The NASDAQ Index is up 126% and the S&P 500 up 88% over the same period. Just pointing this out because you have to criticized others in this thread for a lack of context and definition in their posts. 

Falling further as we speak :)

We all know you only come out to pile on when Sonos is looking bad.  Give it a few weeks and you will crawl back into the woodwork. 

Falling further as we speak :)

Looks like it’s trending back to normal after the COVID boom to me.  Of course that’s because I looked at the long term performance instead of conveniently stripping out the last little dip. 

If you observe closely you can discover one of the speakers does not offer any volume control. When it comes to amount of “rooms” it has worked fine for past seven years. The latest iOS app update resulted in a stunningly gorgeous clusterfuck and pretty much bricked the whole setup. So thanks Sonos…

I’m not seeing the issues you mention here with my own setup and I have 25 products in 10 Sonos rooms running on an older WiFi 6AX mesh - my thoughts are to maybe report your issues to Sonos customer support and see what they think once they’ve reviewed a diagnostic report from your setup.

By the way do you know which band is in use and the SNR level for each of your Sonos products - I tend to have mine running mainly on the 5Ghz band (except for Home Theatre devices of course) with an SNR level greater than 45dB (strong connection). Anyhow if you’re perhaps doing the same and seeing a sluggish response,  then it might be best to speak to Sonos Staff. Here is their link to give ‘em a call:  https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you observe closely you can discover one of the speakers does not offer any volume control. When it comes to amount of “rooms” it has worked fine for past seven years. The latest iOS app update resulted in a stunningly gorgeous clusterfuck and pretty much bricked the whole setup. So thanks Sonos…

I’m not seeing the issues you mention here with my own setup and I have 25 products in 10 Sonos rooms running on an older WiFi 6AX mesh - my thoughts are to maybe report your issues to Sonos customer support and see what they think once they’ve reviewed a diagnostic report from your setup.

By the way do you know which band is in use and the SNR level for each of your Sonos products - I tend to have mine running mainly on the 5Ghz band (except for Home Theatre devices of course) with an SNR level greater than 45dB (strong connection). Anyhow if you’re perhaps doing the same and seeing a sluggish response,  then it might be best to speak to Sonos Staff. Here is their link to give ‘em a call:  https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Yes I know. I’ve got a Master of science degree in computer science, specialized in distributed systems. Working in the telecom and IoT business for the past 24 years. As a peculiarity, I was the lead product manger of the WiFi product lineup at a US based company designing and building WiFi silicon, RF design and SW stack. I believe I have the basics when it comes to understanding and managing networking technologies.

I appreciate your help. The causality is clear. Before the latest Sonos update all was working fine. After the update a serious mess. What did change? The firmware and control software. 

I rest my case:)

Ps. Sonos diagnostics and their staff could not resolve the issues nor help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Stop all this share price rubbish. You weren’t looking at share prices when you bought the speakers. 

Yes I know. I’ve got a Master of science degree in computer science, specialized in distributed systems. Working in the telecom and IoT business for the past 24 years. As a peculiarity, I was the lead product manger of the WiFi product lineup at a US based company designing and building WiFi silicon, RF design and SW stack. I believe I have the basics when it comes to understanding and managing networking technologies.

I appreciate your help. The causality is clear. Before the latest Sonos update all was working fine. After the update a serious mess. What did change? The firmware and control software. 

I would have thought you’d be able to sort it with your knowledge. I’m retired myself and it’s working okay here. I’d personally find it difficult to blame the new App, if it works okay for others.

Anyhow, I sincerely hope it gets sorted for you, one way, or another, as I don’t seem to see any signs that Sonos plan to revert back to their old App. It appears the plan is to move forward with the current App. Although only time will tell, I guess.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Stop all this share price rubbish. You weren’t looking at share prices when you bought the speakers. 

The most important feedback is investors feedback. 10 years ago when I bought my speakers they worked, now they don't. The acolytes come here and dis everyone that doesn't speak IT gibberish but Sonos are getting found out on every forum. Even the much lauded headphones have critical threads on the Community Forum because of the software and poor performance. It's getting to be make or break for Sonos. Either they do something to stop haemorrhaging customers or they don't and end up with the 3 of you that have "nothing wrong with my system, I'm alright Jack!". 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sonos will be fine. They’re not haemorrhaging customers. Ridiculous hyperbole. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would have thought you’d be able to sort it with your knowledge. I’m retired myself and it’s working okay here. I’d personally find it difficult to blame the new App, if it works okay for others.

Anyhow, I sincerely hope it gets sorted for you, one way, or another, as I don’t seem to see any signs that Sonos plan to revert back to their old App. It appears the plan is to move forward with the current App. Although only time will tell, I guess.

Thanks. Truly great it works for you. I sincerely hope Sonos will ASAP get an update released to address the issues reported by the Sonos community. I do not buy into the statement this is a local network environment issue. I’d call this an epidemic issue spanning a very large Sonos user base. I base this claim on all the reports in this community, Twitter and other online forums.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I think making bets based on stock value is misguided.  Admittedly just my opinion.

I came upon two more thoughtfully reported articles that may prove informative.  Actually, not just informative.  Indicative of the path forward.  Unless, of course, the current mess fails to be resolved.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/6/14/24178433/sonos-privacy-policy-customer-data-controversy

Not sure why privacy issues have taken precedence over leaving customers high and dry, but I’m not keen on having my listening choices being given away or sold to others.  Again, just my opinion.

https://www.wired.com/story/sonos-wants-to-get-off-your-shelf-and-own-audio-everywhere/

If Sonos’ new mission is shifting from best all-through-the-home experience to a mobile arrangement, it becomes clearer why a customer like me isn’t going to be happy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What exactly do you think EPS down 133% means for this quarter?  Clearly facts are a problem for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

What exactly do you think EPS down 133% means for this quarter?  Clearly facts are a problem for you. 

You can take any company and isolate a quarter to make it look like the end of days. I look across the last five years and whilst I don’t see growth, I can also clearly see its value being maintained. Stocks are peaks and troughs.

I have no issue with facts as long as they are presented to me. Luckily I don’t come here for facts as they are never forthcoming.

Userlevel 2

That’ll get em moving

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’ll get em moving

What part of stocks and shares do people not understand? There are dozens of these moments across the last five years when you look at Sonos’ share price. It’s not been a good few weeks for them but they have been so many such instances like this over the years.

For the love of God, stop doom-mongering. It’s like you are all willing the business to collapse and make your speakers obsolete. 

https://www.wired.com/story/sonos-wants-to-get-off-your-shelf-and-own-audio-everywhere/

If Sonos’ new mission is shifting from best all-through-the-home experience to a mobile arrangement, it becomes clearer why a customer like me isn’t going to be happy.

They did headphones because there aren’t enough customers like you, and the customers like you probably already own speakers. They sold ~240k less units than previous fiscal. They can’t continue like that. 

The headphone market is massive and customers buy new ones for often, like every 3 years. Sonos speakers last a decade or more (if they aren’t Roams then it’s the day after 2 years🤣🤬)

Whether they hit targets with the headphones or not remains to be seen. Hopefully they do, so they can continue to fix this dumpster fire of an app. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

We all know you only come out to pile on when Sonos is looking bad.  Give it a few weeks and you will crawl back into the woodwork. 

I “come out” when I have a problem or a question. Unlike you, I don't have time to post 26,000+ messages here. And, over the past month or so, the new Sonos app and many bouts of Sonos services not functioning correctly with the app (Calm Radio, CBC) have caused considerable problems for me. I have been in my home in Canada throughout this mess and shudder to think what will happen with my other Sonos setup in my other home in Brasil on my return in a couple of weeks. Yes, once things are working as they should for Sonos customers I won't be here every day and I won't be making thousands of posts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That’ll get em moving

What part of stocks and shares do people not understand? There are dozens of these moments across the last five years when you look at Sonos’ share price. It’s not been a good few weeks for them but they have been so many such instances like this over the years.

For the love of God, stop doom-mongering. It’s like you are all willing the business to collapse and make your speakers obsolete. 

It's not doom mongering. The point is that Ace has not resulted in the expected improvement in the share price and it has gone down since 7th May.

This doesn't indicate that they are in trouble but it will be a disappointment to the C Level at Sonos. They are looking to diversify and grow their business but right now they standing still.

2000th post and the app still sucks 🤬

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Relevant to the financial discussion, the simple facts are this: At the moment Sonos is losing money on declining sales. This might be of interest.

"Sonos, Inc. (Nasdaq: SONO) announced its financial performance for the second quarter of Fiscal 2024, the period that ended on March 30, 2024. The numbers, as we’re seeing more consistently across a wide variety of consumer brands, were rough…really rough. Revenues in the quarter declined a nasty 16.9% and the company’s Net Loss more than doubled, increasing by a scary 127%.

Yet CEO Patrick Spence claimed in a statement that “…we delivered results that slightly exceeded our expectations…” Either they were expecting a really devastating result, or I’ll have whatever he’s having!"

https://www.strata-gee.com/sonos-says-q2-fiscal-2024-exceeded-our-expectations-revenues-16-9-losses-127/