Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2383 replies

Since the new update my sonos connect gen 2 has stopped working properly. It completely disappears from my sonos app, almost like it doesn't have access to the internet even though I know I have good wifi at home. really annoying.. especially when it sounds bad in the amplifier/speaker when it "jumps out"

Userlevel 2
Badge

the most annoying thing is their customer service, or lack thereof!!! you will waste 3-4 hours with them doing nothing but blaming your wifi, re wire everything, reboot everything numerous times, change every wifi setting…. all day long, just so they can tell you at the end….. “this is a known issue with the new app”

Yeah if you’ve done the basic troubleshooting like rebooting your network you may want to consider holding off contacting support until the crap storm subsides. 

Userlevel 1

Brand new Sonos user here. For some background, I’ve been a long time Spotify user, but what with the lack of value and the increase in subscription prices I’ve started considering moving to Tidal full-time, and with that my Amazon Echoes become useless for streaming music. I picked up the Era 100 just this evening and set up the whole nine-yards with my streaming services in the Sonos app and everything. I’m a huge tech enthusiast and audio nerd so I was super excited to finally experience the quality of the Sonos devices. I must say I’m very impresseed with the Era 100. So far that’s all I’m impressed with. I’ve have been following the saga of the new app somewhat since it came out, and I really thought I would get by with no issues, but in the 3 hours I’ve had the speaker up and running, the app has lost connection to the device three, maybe even four times. It just shows no devices and no music services, and no amount of fully closing and reopening the app seems to make a difference. The speaker and all my services just come back whenever they want with no rhyme or reason. This is also not a network issue, I haev a very high quality wireless network with several dozen other wireless devices working flawlessly. Based on reading other users experiences of rock-solid performance prior to the update, I really thought it wouldn’t be a big deal, but it turns out I was wrong. For a company that charges such a premium for its products, you’d think the app that is REQUIRED to operate said expensive devices would have top notch quality and featues, which it currently does not. The app feels annoying to navigate around and cheaply made like a kickstarter project’s v1.0. Not impressed for how much money I spent on this speaker. I really hope the software quality is improved and the feature set returned that countless other users have stated was removed.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Welcome to club disappointment!!!

yep, and according to the CEO he doesn't care, he says costumers are just too stupid to understand how good the app is! so he has openly said that he is not looking to fix it….

I ordered a couple of Bluesound speakers...

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

really? then why hasn't a single issue been resolved? why hasn't sonos put back the old app while this dumpster fire continues to burn unrestricted?

Really?  All of the following have been fixed in the latest update (and there are more since the very first release, like Alarms):

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Add to end queue doesn't work for me. I assume it's a local library issue that's going to take a long time to address.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Well, I’m not impressed. For a brief while it was possible to access my library. But not anymore. If Sonos or anyone else thinks they’ve improved access to the library, they should think again. It’s worse.  It’s non-existent  

Sonos, you’ve broken your beautiful boxes. What you’ve done is inexcusable and unforgivable.  I’m not sure you have the ability to recover.

What am I doing to get around this?  I run BluOS on BlueSound Nodes and a superb NAD streamer, the M33. Solid gear, solid software. And, as I’ve mentioned before, the Windows and Mac OS versions of the Sonos app are still functional. 

I’ll look in occasionally (check updated versions of the phone and tablet apps) to see if Sonos has healed itself, but I’m not holding my breath. 

Since the new update my sonos connect gen 2 has stopped working properly. It completely disappears from my sonos app, almost like it doesn't have access to the internet even though I know I have good wifi at home. really annoying.. especially when it sounds bad in the amplifier/speaker when it "jumps out"
Have similar issues with newest update with my Move2, it is only recognised if it's looking directly at my router - move it the other side of the wall it disappears from my setup. Every other device works and says my WiFi signal is strong. Even installed a hook in kitchen and was working fine until last firmware/ fix??? was released. Need to change its name to Sonos stationary2.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I found the following article, published in late May, worthwhile reading:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/22/24162168/sonos-ceo-patrick-spence-new-app-design-interview

I said earlier I’m not convinced Sonos will recover from this fiasco. This article strengthens that opinion.

Userlevel 3
Badge

And as I’ve mentioned before, the Windows and Mac OS versions of the Sonos app are still functional.

Unfortunately the Windows version is also not functioning correctly for me. 

Incidentally, in these threads I am mystified by the blame for some of this being laid at the door of users wifi. If it was functioning correctly with the previous app how can that be?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I found the following article, published in late May, worthwhile reading:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/22/24162168/sonos-ceo-patrick-spence-new-app-design-interview

I said earlier I’m not convinced Sonos will recover from this fiasco. This article strengthens that opinion.

Best quote from the Sonos CEO in the above article:

'It is faster and more responsive, and it’s a better overall experience."

​​​

This new app is total garbage. It is sluggish, the search feature doesn’t work, and “something went wrong, try again” flashes across the screen on a regular basis. I have tried everything, and my wifi is not the problem. I have Sonos in two homes and I'm considering to pull all of it out if they cannot, or are not interested in resolving this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I ordered a couple of Bluesound speakers...

I would like to get a small review and comparison with sonos speakers, I have myself thought to do the same thing too.

Userlevel 1

No mention about how the app after the most recent update became so slow that it is practically unusable. Change song, changing volume etc is painfully slow (if it even happens). Furthermore, the now playing is typically two tracks behind. Please fix or tell me how to go back to the version that was actually usable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m getting really confused here. I had version 16.1 on my Windows 11 PC. I added some new music to my library which is on an Unraid server. When I tried to rescan my library all the options were greyed out, although my library was visible and accessible. I’d read a number of posts (100’s) about version 80 and the problems with adding new music to a local library. Many of the solutions said that it was possible to add music using the Windows or Mac OS versions. As I also have version 16.1 on my Android phone. I decided to be reckless and update the Windows version. Too my surprise it updated but said it had failed and advised I tried again. As I was still in reckless mode, I tried again and was told the app was up to date. I checked the version number and it had changed to 16.2. I was expecting version 80 something. Surprisingly when I went to the scan library option it was all available and a scan found my new music. My question is, is Windows & Mac O/S staying on version 16 for the time being? 

I have noticed that my local music library has always been visible even on my iPad which is running the dreaded version 80. I guess I’ve been lucky compared with others but I remain wary of updating the Android version. A bad sign when a customer is afraid to update a piece of software. Sonos seem to be building a track record of failures, remember the change from S1 to S2 and the bricking of the old Amps. On that occasion they backtracked, but on this occasion it seems that their heels are firmly dug in. Such a shame as when it works it works really well.

Anthony

The PC/Mac application is not following the same number designation as the mobile apps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks jgatie, useful to know, nevertheless confusing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

i am new here, though i have been using Sonos for over 10 years… i love my Sonos. However I hate the new app. I crashes, it is full of buggs, it is slow when it works… it turned an amazing product into a frustrating experience.

Beyond the app beeing slow and buggy, i am unable to set volume for some of my players. See screenshot. Sometimes the option comes back, then disapears again…

Sonos team. Please just roll back to the old app… it was perfect as it was.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

https://9to5mac.com/2024/06/14/sonos-new-privacy-policy-implies-the-company-now-sells-your-data/

Userlevel 3
Badge

3% share drop so far today, wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Latest update is hilarious. On the phone my speaker in my room is missing and on the laptop the item missing is the Connect which is connected by ethernet cable. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Dang Sonos!

The new app is sluggish and full of bugs. Can’t adjust volume on speaker. Couldn’t setup my system with my iOS phone. Had to revert to an Android tablet due to the crappy iOS Sonos app. Total misery from iOS app performance point of view. Utter disappointment! Been a Sonos user for ten years and have degree in computer science. I can tell when the sofware is to be blamed… I tell you - I blame the software. Wake up Sonos, what is your plan to resolve this mess?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Dang Sonos!

The new app is sluggish and full of bugs. Can’t adjust volume on speaker. Couldn’t setup my system with my iOS phone. Had to revert to an Android tablet due to the crappy iOS Sonos app. Total misery from iOS app performance point of view. Utter disappointment! Been a Sonos user for ten years and have degree in computer science. I can tell when the sofware is to be blamed… I tell you - I blame the software. Wake up Sonos, what is your plan to resolve this mess?

Perkele!

fully agree with you mate…

really hoping Sonos fix this or roll back the old app… 

they have amazing products, the new app is the rist ever problem i have had with sonos… but it is soooo bad that i am now googling alternative options…