Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2411 replies

Been a Sonos product fan since the first product was launched many many years ago. Great products but the “listening to the community” part less so. I still have my archived customer service replies (community did not exist then) for the last two app updates which essentially ignored all comments despite promises to follow through on many. 

It is clear that Sonos is moving away from their original client base and pushing the music streaming subscriptions which I guess is where the $$ is. No music library search and “it is coming” is a clear sign. That should have been the starting point not the afterthought.

And to the technical question now:

Has adding music to the local music library and network drives changed? Does it still work or have the local libraries now become de facto locked? I don’t want to open my network drive and try to upload music and find I am locking myself out of my own local library because the new PC app does not support any updates.

Any views are much appreciated

See my post above yours... Which OS do you use?

Been a Sonos product fan since the first product was launched many many years ago. Great products but the “listening to the community” part less so. I still have my archived customer service replies (community did not exist then) for the last two app updates which essentially ignored all comments despite promises to follow through on many. 

It is clear that Sonos is moving away from their original client base and pushing the music streaming subscriptions which I guess is where the $$ is. No music library search and “it is coming” is a clear sign. That should have been the starting point not the afterthought.

Has adding music to the local music library and network drives changed? Does it still work or have the local libraries now become de facto locked? I don’t want to open my network drive and try to upload music and find I am locking myself out of my own local library because the new PC app does not support any updates.

Use both Windows 11 and iOS. I see your post for new update.

Did that improve / work? Can we access our local library without breaking it?

Is there a way to revert back to old iOS app? (Have not yet dared open windows app as it will force the update)

Is there a way to revert back to old iOS app? (Have not yet dared open windows app as it will force the update)

The current PC Controller app still has full Local Library management and queue features.  No worries installing the latest (and it’s the only way you can manage your library). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Windows Desktop app is still on the old codebase making it reliable, stable, and feature rich compared to the iOS app. Local library music works fine and the desktop app is perfectly comnpatible with the latest v16.2 firmware.

You can save a lot of frustration using the desktop app as a sanity check in parallel with the new iOS app. In other words, if a feature works on the desktop app you won’t spend too much time trying to debug said feature if it is not working on the iOS app.

There is no straightforward way to revert back to the v16.1 iOS app, I’m afraid.

I Agree the Update of the App Misses the Users needs. Is there a way of reinstalling the Old App?

I am missing direct Access to my playlists, queing up new Music ( Play next) when I am sitzing in my chair outside and Listen to the Music. 
these are Major flaws of the new App. It Looks Like too much was Changed and for me as a User it is not an Evolution but something completely new and I am lost with it. I am searching for my Standard Features and got lost and Angel about it. I Think the Focus should be more on the Music around me ( adding Songs to the Playlist, Search for Music and dort it into the stream once I am in a room and Play instead of focusong on  Access to all Rooms in the House. This is done once I enter a room or set a group of rooms to a specific Music but then I like to work on the Music instead of rooms an Sound systems. I Even had trouble Sendung Music to the Right room, it Happens that I have to Play it in the wring room, group the Action room to the Music and then Switch of the wrong room again. I Even loose a speaker erey now and then ( ok, network is not optimal there). It Looks Like coincedence because the new Software does not influence Signal strengst but I Never lost the speaker with the Old Software.
let me go back to the Old Software, it was so much better for me than the new one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I am missing direct Access to my playlists, queing up new Music ( Play next) 

Sounds like you might not have the latest version of the app, updated on Tuesday.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

There is.  Read this thread through the end

I had problem to access my local music library on my Windows 11 computer during the whole may. I tried exactly everything, but it wasn't before I found a way to grant Sonos access to my Music-folder in Windows 11 that I was able to add this folder to thh Sonos-app in Windows.

That's what I was trying to tell in my earlier post... So please see my print-screen...

I also got this information during my conversation with Sonos:

"To give a bit more context as to where these issues and changes come from: Sonos used to be compatible with four file-sharing protocols: HTTP, SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3. After our latest software update, support for HTTP and SMBv1 was dropped due to security concerns. Your share may have disappeared from your app because it had been previously set up and initiated through either HTTP or SMBv1. As our app was updated and support for these two was discontinued, so was the share removed. "

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I've just done this and it does work but it’s not for the fainthearted! You’ll need somewhere you can install the old iTunes version, more software and then a method of getting the older .ipa file onto your iOS device. I almost gave up  as multiple attempts to get the 16.1 file kept failing and then, for no apparent reason, it worked. 

So, it’s possible, but is it worth the bother - maybe not. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I've just done this and it does work but it’s not for the fainthearted! You’ll need somewhere you can install the old iTunes version, more software and then a method of getting the older .ipa file onto your iOS device. I almost gave up  as multiple attempts to get the 16.1 file kept failing and then, for no apparent reason, it worked. 

So, it’s possible, but is it worth the bother - maybe not. 

I agree, it can be a bit involved. However, the good news is that you can't really "break" anything, unlike for example hacking your Windows registry.

There are well-written instructions with illustrations available through a google search (see the thread for details). I suggest  anyone interested in reverting to the old app to read those instructions and decide for themselves if they want to proceed. At the very least, it's a good way to gauge how much you really want it. 😀

Userlevel 1

This new app is absolutely horrible, my Sonos is pretty much unusable now. Nothing works, music won’t even play most of time, and when it does work it’s painfully slow. 

Ik was altijd heel blij mee de app, het werkte top. Maar sinds de laatste update is het waardeloos. De verbinding valt steeds weg en ik mis het heel erg dat ik niet meer gebruik kan maken van de bediening vanaf vergrendelscherm. De optie zoals hieronder beschreven is bij mij niet te vinden. Echt zonde, hoop dat er snel verbeteringen komen of weer terug kan naar de oude versie. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

If only it was that simple.  It is just surprising that this has been going on now for so long and no resolution or default back to the old application. This is a critical outage and nothing has been done to resolve the issue or any workaround. Crazy that this is acceptable.

Well, if you have a CEO who doesn’t listen (to the community and his customers) then yeah, the company and its products are going downwards (as its shares are already doing). 
There are so many management books saying “do what is right for your customers”, “trust is number one value”, “prioritise customer success and profitability will come” etc But if the CEO doesn’t read these books then yeah, hopeless…

Userlevel 4
Badge

I just wanna say that I feel sorry for the Development and QA team. Am sure they work hard, make long days and do the best they can.

Time pressure, limited budget and deadlines are caused by leadership. Prioritised backlog and missing features are caused by Product Management and leadership. And I don’t see the CEO taking accountability.

Hope the development team and QA team keep up good spirits, don’t leave, and are able to help customers as best as they can. Thank you!

..and do know that the problems we’re facing are caused by your CEO and not you… 

Badge

This app is a mess. Most of my products can’t connect anymore. Play:1, Play:3. But my Play:5 2nd generation still works. WHY do you release an app that is so horrible?

Userlevel 2

This has to be one of the F%^*&^%ups of the century!

Unless there's a marked improvement in the app this week - the CEO will have to fall on his sword.

Without a marked improvement in the share price Spence will have to raise the white flag.

Either way - bye, bye and hopefully someone with some b#lls will come in and sort out this terrible mess.

Please define ‘marked improvement’? There certainly has been ‘some’ improvement over the last three weeks, with each new release as detailed in the release notes here. But I don’t know how to define ‘marked’, as it seems like it may be a perspective based measurement. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Please define ‘marked improvement’? There certainly has been ‘some’ improvement over the last three weeks, with each new release as detailed in the release notes here. But I don’t know how to define ‘marked’, as it seems like it may be a perspective based measurement. 

A quick search of reputable dictionaries indicates that a “marked improvement” is an improvement that is "significant”, "very obvious”, “strikingly noticeable”, "conspicuous” etc. 

Userlevel 2

I just ran the latest IOS update to the new app. It is still very lacking to say the least. 

If you play an imported playlist you still cannot clear the queue.

You still can’t play Sonos playlists. 

If you start a Sonos playlist from SonoPhone or Home Assistant it plays but it doesn’t replace or append the queue.

Album artwork is still missing.

How many more of these tiny incremental updates will it take to bring the app to a fully useful state????

Still cannot access …/OneDrive/…/Documents/Sound Recordings in Windows 11, which was fully searchable in previous versions of S2 Controller. On phone, Android app still works like doodoo compared to old versions.

Doesn’t seem like much has improved in latest updates.

Userlevel 2
Badge

TruePlay still doesn’t work on an iPad. I have an iPad Air 5th Generation and a Sonos Arc and Sub Gen 3, and have the latest updates, and tried all the recommended troubleshooting tips. I completely regret buying the Arc, and I have learned never to buy a Sonos product again and never to buy a product that relies on an expensive third party device and an app to work.

All of the updates over the last three weeks meet those descriptions. I’m not understanding what @smallstool is looking for.

I would love parity with the ‘old’ app, but that seems like potentially a lot of work for one week…but I’m not a programmer, and don’t know where the state of things are. If we’re lucky, lots of things will have landed, much like in the last several releases, and will have been tested. 

I’m not holding my breath, though. 

I would love parity with the ‘old’ app, but that seems like potentially a lot of work for one week…but I’m not a programmer, and don’t know where the state of things are.

It’s been over a month. The app still sucks = not marked improvement IMO. 

Which is why I was hoping for a definition of ‘marked improvement’. Everyone’s opinion is different.