Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2445 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Based on a very quick first try, here’s a list of essential functionalities that are still missing in the latest version of the IOS app release today (v80.02.04):

• Update Music Index Now / Update Music Library Now
  • Remove / Delete individual song from the queue
  • Reorder songs in the queue
  • Clear the queue
  • Add an entire music library folder to the end of a queue
  • Add multiple music library subfolders to the queue simultaneously (e.g. 2CDs stored as 2 subfolders in an overarching folder)
  • Quickly go the end of a very long list of folders in a local music library (e.g. the ZZ Top folder in a local music library)
  • Show products that are in Bluetooth mode in Your system
  • App keeps asking to turn on Bluetooth, every time it is opened

Other than that, it’s great!

Userlevel 2

I can’t even get basic use of the app to work. I have speakers in 5 rooms and the functionality to get them all playing the same or different music just doesn’t work. The apply function doesn’t work at all. Selecting music appears to be very buggy and laggy at best. 
all in all a complete and utterly useless release. I am so frustrated  - what adds to that is the complete lack off any response from Sonos. Slow us to roll back you fools

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Finally, some progress! I can play music in my gym, though I still can’t access my favorites or browse my preferred service (Deezer). 

As Paula Abdul might say -- at least from memory since I’m mostly living in A Quiet Place these days -- it’s two steps forward, two steps back:

Opposites Distract (Sonos Edition)

We come together 'cause Sonos was so bold
But now my speakers are acting old
They cut out, won't play, and features disappear
Sonos calls it progress, but it’s just unclear

Verse 1:

I was your biggest fan, danced to every beat
Now this update's left me in the heat
Speakers cut out, used to rock the place
Now I’m just staring at a silent interface

Chorus:

Opposites distract, Sonos, what’s the deal?
You call it brave, we call it surreal
We came together for sound, now it’s a mess
Fix this chaos, or we’ll reassess

Verse 2:

Features vanished, what a corporate spin
Updates should wow, not make us grin
You claim it's progress, but we’re losing our cool
We want the old Sonos, not this glitchy tool

Bridge:

Waited, pleaded, had enough of your pitch
Your “brave” update’s nothing but a glitch
Music’s broken, can’t catch a beat
Once was harmony, now it's just defeat

Chorus:

Opposites distract, Sonos, what’s the deal?
You call it brave, we call it surreal
We came together for sound, now it’s a mess
Fix this chaos, or we’ll reassess

Outro:

So fix it, Sonos, make it right
Bring back the sound that was outta sight
We know you can do it, just stay on track
And give us the speakers that we want back

In case it helps anyone, I had switched back to the old version of the Android app but it said one of my products needed to be updated. Tried the S1 version and it said the same thing. So, I loaded the most recent version of the app and it (eventually) updated one of my Play 5s (after a router reboot, factory reset x 3, etc.). However, as noted above, I still don’t have Deezer functionality.  Not sure if it’s the latest version of the app, witchcraft or just a Random Walk Down Wallstreet, but I have a glimmer of hope, 

Two funnies:

(1) A buddy asked me today what I thought about the new headphones. I said I had no clue, but that the new app is so amateur hour I’ve lost confidence in the company. He asked, “what’s wrong with it“. All I could say was, “something”. IYKYK.

(2) He then suggested that, because I was so old, I likely just needed some time to adjust to change, and that I was probably nitpicking things no one else would notice. He might be right about my age being a factor because I just noticed I was still in diapers when Sonos sent me a message on how to fine-tune the app settings:

The update is botched. It’s awful. So bad I am considering ditching Sonos altogether and finding another sound system. Please let us know when a simpler app will be released.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The update is botched. It’s awful. So bad I am considering ditching Sonos altogether and finding another sound system. Please let us know when a simpler app will be released.

it won’t be. This is the new app. It will have further functionality in the coming weeks (as has been widely conveyed by Sonos directly), and may be subject to some UX and UI tweaks, but what we have now isn’t going to change in any material way anytime soon.

If your decision to move away from Sonos is based solely on app navigation, then it looks like you’ll need to seek an alternative. 

Userlevel 1

I use the new app on ios. The app is inxtremely slow to load and hard to navigate. I’ve had to wait 1-2 minutes before the app is useable *at all*.

Half the screen is filled by the sticky “now playing” bar at the bottom. It looks terrible and it makes the app difficult to navigate.

The “my music library” feature has become very difficult to use. I mainly stream music from the music libirary stored on my computer - the app is *very* slow to load this. This morning I hunted for it for 5 minutes, googled forums, etc -- only to finally have it appear in the app. Why does it take so long? Who knows. What I do know is that it makes using my sonos speakers pretty touch and go - I can’t assume that I’ can just open the app and turn on my music.

Queue editing and playlists. I *loved* being able to add albums to the sonos queue, then edit the queue into a playlist for an evening or a party or just a vibe. If I made one I liked I would save it - I *had* dozens saved, some of them very important to me. This functionality is now gone - can’t edit the queue, can’t save the queue, can’t access the old playlists from the app. My wife and I have been in mourning since this happened.  

In short, the new update has destroyed our ability to use our music system reliably and, along with that, the goodwill we had toward Sonos. We have loved this system since we bought it 5 years ago and we have encouraged others to buy sonos as well. No longer. The new app has shown that Sonos has contempt for our ability to use the speakers we bought and that we cannot rely on sonos in the future. When it comes time to buy new equipment, I will no longer consider sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Ben21398457610 

Just checking you have updated your app to the major new version released on Tuesday, and subsequent system firmware update, just in case that might help overall?

Userlevel 1

Been with Sonos for 13-14 years. Switching from Logitech squeezebox it was very innovative at that time. Own separate stable Sonos network. Dedicated WORKING remote, local library support. Simple and intuitive UI. Now the UI is messy and horribly slow. Not possible to search my music library. This was the main reason for getting sonos. With this new forced app update they prioritized to add ads for their own products over making the music library search work. This doesn't make me want to buy more Sonos products. Ads are not okay and made me unsubscribe from Sonos newsletters. This provokes me and makes me want to ditch Sonos completely!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Been with Sonos for 13-14 years. Switching from Logitech squeezebox it was very innovative at that time. Own separate stable Sonos network. Dedicated WORKING remote, local library support. Simple and intuitive UI. Now the UI is messy and horribly slow. Not possible to search my music library. This was the main reason for getting sonos. With this new forced app update they prioritized to add ads for their own products over making the music library search work. This doesn't make me want to buy more Sonos products. Ads are not okay and made me unsubscribe from Sonos newsletters. This provokes me and makes me want to ditch Sonos completely!

I agree that Sonos is moving away from prioritizing 'Customer Success' and is now focusing more on 'Cross-Sell & Up-Sell.' For instance, while they claim you can customize your home screen, they don't allow you to remove Sonos Radio from 'Your Services.'

This shift in organizational culture is driven by the CEO, resulting in a significant loss of trust among customers, which poses a long-term problem. Based on recent comments from the CEO, it seems unlikely that their approach will change anytime soon.

Userlevel 1

Can you just please roll back to the old until you figure out all the issues with the new app.  It is so frustrating with basics of not being able to play music and control the volume.  Everyday is a struggle to use the app...just roll back. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

After a frustrating month I am giving up. All Sonos gear has been listed on a local site for sale. I will only retain the old S1 devices that I all put together into one home since this old legacy system still works as it should. I don’t think Sonos will survive this fiasco. They can stick a fork up their xxx and turn it over, they are done. Not surprised considering the CEO’s CV. I very much regret having recommended Sonos to others in the past. Ciao my formerly beloved speaker company, hello to more HomePods.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Would a hard reset of all of the equipment facilitate the performance of the new app?  

Userlevel 1

If only it was that simple.  It is just surprising that this has been going on now for so long and no resolution or default back to the old application. This is a critical outage and nothing has been done to resolve the issue or any workaround. Crazy that this is acceptable.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

https://uk.investing.com/news/company-news/sonos-director-coles-joanna-sells-142k-in-company-stock-93CH-3536385

"The company's CEO, Patrick Spence, has emphasized the importance of customer retention and market expansion"

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Anyone had bad results after running Trueplay after this last update?

My sound profile with Trueplay was simply great and had survived the first update to the new app. 
But this last update forced me to run Trueplay again. 
With Trueplay is active, sound lacks treble, even if I crank up treble to max. 
Anyone has the same issue?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Trueplay tuning is still (!!) impossible with the new app, it hangs and just won't work (see other threads) - what did you do!?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Trueplay tuning is still (!!) impossible with the new app, it hangs and just won't work (see other threads) - what did you do!?

Just ran is at usual. 
it finishes but the result is not that good. 
Also, there are some incongruences as surround distance and sub phase should be grayed out with Trueplay active, and that does not happen right now. Eve with Trueplay active it’s possible to change surrounds distance and sub phase. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Wish I could confirm. For me (iPhone 13, latest app, here just 2 One SL) it still gets stuck at the Begin Tuning button ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

https://uk.investing.com/news/company-news/sonos-director-coles-joanna-sells-142k-in-company-stock-93CH-3536385

"The company's CEO, Patrick Spence, has emphasized the importance of customer retention and market expansion"

I’d like to ask him how the customer retention is going for him, retention being keeping existing customers who now seem more than willing to jump ship if Sonos can’t get this crap app fixed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This shift in organizational culture is driven by the CEO, resulting in a significant loss of trust among customers, which poses a long-term problem. Based on recent comments from the CEO, it seems unlikely that their approach will change anytime soon.

I just learned the CEO is a Western biz guy who was at RIM for 14 years. I've clearly been living under a Sonos speaker. I was a fan boi of RIM right to the bitter end, and beyond. I'm not loving the sense of deja vu.

Userlevel 1
Badge

iOS user and have updated to the latest version and despite me seeing other people on a  Sonos Facebook group having add next and add to end of queue I still do not have these functions. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Well I for one am waiting for the book which will be studied at all major business universities in years to come. Suggested titles alongside the SONOS logo…….

1. How to erode all customer goodwill in just 1 month 
  2. Three most innovative ways to destroy a perfectly decent company in mere weeks
  3. How to succeed at becoming an incompetent CEO and help your competition win
  4. Treat your customers with total and unforgivable distain - Volume 1
  5. Let break it and see what happens just for fun! A study on customer retention and how not to succeed.

I could go on but got bored

I give up. I've unplugged all of my speakers and am carrying an old Bluetooth speaker from room to room, like in olden times.

I think the new update to the app seems to have fixed the biggest problems. Missing the covers images in my local music library though.

Can also add that if you run Windows 11, you must (with the new app) right-click on the folder where you have your music. Select "Properties" > "Sharing" > "Share" - then in the window that opens, you must add that "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" should have read access. 

Another thing I did a few weeks ago was create a brand new SONOS account, reset all my speakers to add them to the new account. I don't think it helped that much then, but rather think the improvements are due to updates from Sonos' side. 

Been a Sonos product fan since the first product was launched many many years ago. Great products but the “listening to the community” part less so. I still have my archived customer service replies (community did not exist then) for the last two app updates which essentially ignored all comments despite promises to follow through on many. 

It is clear that Sonos is moving away from their original client base and pushing the music streaming subscriptions which I guess is where the $$ is. No music library search and “it is coming” is a clear sign. That should have been the starting point not the afterthought.

And to the technical question now:

Has adding music to the local music library and network drives changed? Does it still work or have the local libraries now become de facto locked? I don’t want to open my network drive and try to upload music and find I am locking myself out of my own local library because the new PC app does not support any updates.

Any views are much appreciated