Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2411 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Goodbye.

Since the upgrade I decided to exit SONOS. I only use local library and had no online services so the new app was useless to me, not being able to search for a song or update my music library when I ripped a new CD made it unusable.

So I sold

• ARC
  • Sub Gen 3
  • Roam
  • 2 Ikea Lamps (Used as rears which I was going to upgrade to era 300’s)
  • 2 x Sonos Moves

In all I was able to get back about 70% of what I paid, which was not too much of a loss considering. After this post I will delete my account and as the main “tech influencer” of my family and friends will be talking everyone I know out of this brand.

What did you buy instead?

My favorite is bluesound at the moment… I am also looking at the Apple HomePod but they don’t have a soundbar yet (there is a rumor that its coming soon). 
Any other options out here?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I quite like Bluesound but tbh if the answer is Bluetooth everything then I'm junking any of these pretenders. Linn do some nice systems that you can pair with Bluetooth speakers anywhere and use "multi room-like". You can even get lossless cloud players like Cloud Beats. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve been a Sonos customer since 2012 and own 15 Sonos devices of various ages up my latest and LAST purchase: the Move 2.

I am utterly fed up with Sonos having suffered many unhappy lost hours trying to understand why audio was dropping out on my Play 3s since summer 2023; resetting my speakers and my WiFi network; making endless configuration changes and even purchasing new network equipment. 

Sonos’ support engineers could not or would not admit that it was a firmware problem and not network configuration network at all. EVENTUALLY I was told that my Play 3s were too old and the only way to use them reliably was with the S1 app on the upstairs group of speakers… this fixed the playback issues and things were bearable for a week or so right up until until the S2 app got updated and ruined the rest (majority) of my home audio system.

Sonos have lost my trust and respect and I will consequently never recommend them to family and friends again - in fact I am telling people that they should avoid all Sonos products at all costs.

I hope the company’s share price continues to fall.

Userlevel 1

It’s still utter crap. Latest version, no firmware updates needed, usual WiFi total reset to get the volume bars behaving for a short while, used to it starting to play on random speakers until reminded etc. All the usual stuff I have to do every day I get home, since the new App was gifted to us.

Tried to play the new Spotify playlist created for me by my daughter, and it either stops partway through the first track (at different points each time) or just jumps to next track. No similar issues when listening on headphones directly from the app.

This is basic stuff, and just another sign of the total ineptitude of all involved.

Is anybody at Sonos proud of what they’ve done, because they don’t appear to either be improving things or backtracking)?

For those who have switched off

COMING UP

Sonos Ace Behind-the-Scenes Live Q&A

Today at 11am PST.    

Saw it - laughable! and the non stop comments about the app didn't stop - so embarrassing for sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge

For those who have switched off

COMING UP

Sonos Ace Behind-the-Scenes Live Q&A

Today at 11am PST.    

Joke

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Mid-June is just a few days away. Does that mean the long awaited access to our local music libraries is  almost finally here? That the Sonos controller will finally recognize the path to my Mac Music folder and I’lll be able to play to play all my tunes just like before? Life will return to normal?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!  

Userlevel 3

Just read an interview with the CEO which proves he really REALLY doesn’t get this issue at all. Basically says the app is redesigned to be faster and quicker.. which it is …?!? but is missing a few features…. What the actual??? Sigh….

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just read an interview with the CEO which proves he really REALLY doesn’t get this issue at all. Basically says the app is redesigned to be faster and quicker.. which it is …?!? but is missing a few features…. What the actual??? Sigh….

Delusional or dishonest? The result is the same.

Userlevel 1

Your work in progress is our Doesn’t Work, Lack Of Progress

1. APP CRASHES:  Simply opening another app (Spotify) crashes Sonos
  2. USE OF OTHER APPS ON PHONE: Opening the other apps (Spotify) cancels what is playing from Plex
  3. PLAYLISTS DO NOT REFRESH:  Changes in Plex Playlists cannot immediately be played in Sonos app, even if Both Apps are shut down and restarted. I have come to learn that changes made to the initial playlist, if songs are added to it, or the order is changed in the service App (Plex, Spotify) are not present in Sonos, even though they appear to be.  To play the changes, the playlist must be refreshed by playing a totally different playlist, just for a second, and then changing the playlist back to the initial playlist.  It continues to play songs that were removed from the play list and do not currently appear in the play list.
  4. FUNCTIONALITY HAMPERED:  Any potential benefit of the new “functionality” of the new app is eclipsed by lack if functionality of basic features.
  5. ALPHABETICAL INDEX. The prior alphabetical index within Plex Artist list was very useful, but not present in the new App.
  6. SPEAKER SELECTION DYSFUNCTIONAL: The speaker selection not only always defaults to one room, but reverts to it, notwithstanding thethe fact that other speakers are actually playing, hindering control.
  7. Its a nice feature that Plex can be played through Sonos via Apple Airplay, but the Sonos features, such as cross play are not available In other apps
  8. There is no Alarm function, yet my previously set alarms continue to wake me at the previously set time. (The Alarm function was very useful)
  9. APP NOT RESPONSIVE: There is a longer refresh time when opening the app while listening to music, delaying the time it takes to adjust volume.
  10. NO PLAYLIST OPTION:  At time, access to Plex Playlists is completely gone.
  11. MIND OF ITS OWN:  The App has a mind of its own, displaying songs either ahead of time, or late.

Why is there no way to change the default speaker? My system defaults to a speaker I rarely use for music and I cannot change it!! This whole upgrade has been completely mismanaged and appears that Sonos is doing very little to fix it. The new app awful, un-user friendly.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO FIX THIS??? (other than reading feedback). 

Why is there no way to change the default speaker? My system defaults to a speaker I rarely use for music and I cannot change it!! This whole upgrade has been completely mismanaged and appears that Sonos is doing very little to fix it. The new app awful, un-user friendly.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO FIX THIS??? (other than reading feedback). 

To change the default Room (the room displayed at the bottom of the screen), scroll up on the room at the bottom to bring up Room Selection, tap on the room you wish to set as the current room (tap in open space, not on the controls or grouping icon).  It’s simple once you know what to do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

To change the default Room (the room displayed at the bottom of the screen), scroll up on the room at the bottom to bring up Room Selection, tap on the room you wish to set as the current room (tap in open space, not on the controls or grouping icon).  It’s simple once you know what to do. 

“It’s simple once you know what to do” sums up the app. I agree that once you understand how the UI is supposed to be used it’s actually quite straightforward. But it is not intuitive because you have to know “what to do”.

“It’s simple once you know what to do” sums up the app. I agree that once you understand how the UI is supposed to be used it’s actually quite straightforward. But it is not intuitive because you have to know “what to do”.

In my experience, “intuitive” is just another word for “muscle memory”.  The last app was called every name in the book, including “inelegant”, “unintuitive”, “clunky”, “slow”, “too many taps”, “too many swipes”, etc.  Magically, it has now transformed into the opposite of those and there weren’t that many changes from the first release.  A few years from now, the current app (if it ever gets fixed) will see the same calls to be rolled back to when Sonos overhauls the UI once again.  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

“Be quick . . . but don’t hurry.” John Wooden

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

In my experience, “intuitive” is just another word for “muscle memory”.  The last app was called every name in the book, including “inelegant”, “unintuitive”, “clunky”, “slow”, “too many taps”, “too many swipes”, etc.  Magically, it has now transformed into the opposite of those and there weren’t that many changes from the first release.  A few years from now, the current app (if it ever gets fixed) will see the same calls to be rolled back to when Sonos overhauls the UI once again.  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Intuitive is definitely over used but for me it addresses that period of time between starting to use a piece of software and muscle memory being established. I think that it is also fair to say that we describe something as intuitive when our muscle memory from other pieces of software applies.

With this incarnation of the app I find that a lot of information is presented in a way that feels unexpected and functions are not where I naturally expect them to be.

Speaker/room order confused me until some one mentioned that the “selected” device is always first from that I figured out that the next “block” was any active device in alphabetical order followed by the rest of my devices in alphabetical order. This is “logical” but was also confusing as the UI keeps presenting my devices in a different order whenever I want to manage one of them It also detracts from “muscle memory”.

The actual issue here is not that the app is bad it is that it was released before it was complete and stabilised so has become the focal point for the frustration some of us feel. Especially those whose system seem to have been disabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

“Be quick . . . but don’t hurry.” John Wooden

He can visit my house and I can show him what its like.

I’ll even offer him a cup of tea.

I know how to change the speaker when listening or temporarily, but how do I change the default speaker for good. Every time I open the app the system defaults to the soundbar for my TV and I’d like to change that as I rarely use it for music. 

I know how to change the speaker when listening or temporarily, but how do I change the default speaker for good. Every time I open the app the system defaults to the soundbar for my TV and I’d like to change that as I rarely use it for music. 

No idea.  Mine just stays at the last speaker chosen unless I completely close out the app by bringing up the app list and swiping it closed (Android). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I don’t think you can do that yet.

The actual issue here is not that the app is bad it is that it was released before it was complete and stabilised so has become the focal point for the frustration some of us feel. Especially those whose system seem to have been disabled.

100% this. 

lol...of course not. 

Intuitive is definitely over used but for me it addresses that period of time between starting to use a piece of software and muscle memory being established. I think that it is also fair to say that we describe something as intuitive when our muscle memory from other pieces of software applies.

With this incarnation of the app I find that a lot of information is presented in a way that feels unexpected and functions are not where I naturally expect them to be.

Speaker/room order confused me until some one mentioned that the “selected” device is always first from that I figured out that the next “block” was any active device in alphabetical order followed by the rest of my devices in alphabetical order. This is “logical” but was also confusing as the UI keeps presenting my devices in a different order whenever I want to manage one of them It also detracts from “muscle memory”.

My definition is borne from the days when the old <CTL><ALT><SHFT><letter> Word Perfect blue screen DOS version was “preferred” over the first WYSIWYG version in Windows.  Absurd as it was, the users back then begged for the “intuitive” old version (Word Perfect even kept the old version as an option for a while, and many of the old <CTL> key macros are standard in Windows even today).  As a UI professor once said to me, if you learned to drive using your feet to turn the steering wheel, then that is the “intuitive” way for you, and nobody telling you different is going to convince you otherwise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I was pretty much across every possible option in the settings on the last app. But I do not remember any option to set a default speaker. So saying you don't think you can do that yet might be a bit misleading, like it’s still to come. Which I don’t imagine it is.

But I do seem to recall the old app used to open connected to the last room/speaker you’d used, which was helpful. 

Just moved my Move2 and stops recognising speaker, has been working on hook in kitchen fine up to recent update.

App is shocking, cannot understand why this was rushed out for a pair of headphones that aside from setup do not even need the app

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Having said what I said, I could not have asked for a more perfect response.

Walked right into that one, didn’t he? 

My work here is done. 

In all seriousness, I’m not going to engage further so that this thread can get back on track.