Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2392 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

There is no mention of Sonos Playlist there.  The closest I see is Playlist editing which is ambiguous and does not indicate I’ll have access to my Sonos Playlists.

It mentions 'playlist editing'. You can only edit a playlist when playlists exist. Me thinks you're nitpicking.

Lol.  Appreciate that :)  When I talked to support they could not verify this statement either so that is where my uncertainty comes from.  I was actually told it ‘might’ be added in an update that came out last week.  But it didn’t. So that leaves me in the dark.

Userlevel 2

Making playlists accessible and putting back the ability to clear the queue really needs to be a priority and seems like maybe the simplest of the list of broken functions to restore. Thankfully, I have a Sonos dashboard in Home Assistant that has kept me somewhat sane. 

As far as Mr. Spence and his insistence that only a small percentage of the users are unhappy here is a way for him to prove that. 

Either send out an email survey to all users or have a pop up survey in the app and then report the results including how many responses in total and response percentage.

My guess  is Sonos doesn’t have the courage to do this.

There is no mention of Sonos Playlist there.  The closest I see is Playlist editing which is ambiguous and does not indicate I’ll have access to my Sonos Playlists.

It mentions 'playlist editing'. You can only edit a playlist when playlists exist. Me thinks you're nitpicking.

Lol.  Appreciate that :)  When I talked to support they could not verify this statement either so that is where my uncertainty comes from.  I was actually told it ‘might’ be added in an update that came out last week.  But it didn’t. So that leaves me in the dark.

This document, last updated June 17 does not mention playlists at all. I’m not saying they aren’t coming back, but they aren’t on the latest timeline. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I found a link to ‘sonos on the web’ via safari on my ipad pro. It asked me to sign in, which I did. Lo and behold, my playlists appear. Just one teeny weeny problem… shortly after that, the whole shebang froze.

Seriously. Is it supposed to be this difficult to access and listen to recorded music? It makes me long for the days when you could just drop an LP on a turntable or pop a silver platter in a CD player and music would spring forth from your loudspeakers. That was a whole lot easier and reliable than this nonsense.

If my old stereo components, CDs and vinyl records weren’t all shoved away in storage, that’s the solution I’d adopt right this minute. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I found a link to ‘sonos on the web’ via safari on my ipad pro. It asked me to sign in, which I did. Lo and behold, my playlists appear. Just one teeny weeny problem… shortly after that, the whole shebang froze.

Seriously. Is it supposed to be this difficult to access and listen to recorded music? It makes me long for the days when you could just drop an LP on a turntable or pop a silver platter in a CD player and music would spring forth from your loudspeakers. That was a whole lot easier and reliable than this nonsense.

If my old stereo components, CDs and vinyl records weren’t all shoved away in storage, that’s the solution I’d adopt right this minute. 

If your having trouble finding playlists on your phone, I found that if you use the desktop controller (I have Mac) you can locate your playlists and add them to ‘Sonos Favorites’ and then they show up on you phone under Sonos Favorites… Playlist.  Not ideal but gets it working again from your phone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Pschwenk, I’ll try that.

Question: ‘Recently played’ says ‘Your recent history will show here once you’ve played some content.’ I’ve ‘played content.’ That message still appears. It has never gone away.

Anyone know what’s up with that?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I’m with Pschwenk on this long thread of back and forth. For those of you who had luck installing the new Sonos desktop app… good for you; you’re one of the lucky ones.  I installed that originally and it worked about as well as a flaming cold sore.  I had to delete it using App Cleaner and then reload S2.  Until they release both a desktop app and an operable iOS app, I’m not going down that rabbit hole again.  As I’ve mentioned, I “updated” to the most recent iOS iPhone app and… nothing different.  I even reset the app. Nada.  It listed Your Sources and Music Library for a couple of days but I couldn’t play a thing. When I clicked on Folders, I got a blurred screen and the “Something went wrong” across the top.  Now, I don’t even see Your Sources listed. Very fun.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sonos releases a poor app.

45 days later, we get to 87 pages of complaints (viewed a total of 73,000 times) on this thread alone and we’re still a significant way off having an app that functions as ‘well’ as the previous one. 

In those 45 days, Sonos owners have, variously:

• turned on each other, repeatedly, with behaviour that is probably hitherto out of character for those people;
  • threatened legal action that most knew would never materialise (especially Sonos);
  • experienced completely different things to others using the same hardware;
  • lost their system entirely;
  • lost access to playlists, where others have not;
  • sold (or threatened to sell, in anger) their Sonos equipment;
  • stopped recommending Sonos as an audio solution;
  • experienced business-impacting issues (retailers and installers);
  • been exasperated with their system, doubtless with unnecessary stress levels;
  • been incredulous at the lack of regularity of status updates from anyone at Sonos;
  • needed to come on here to vent because it is the only way to externalise their frustration and annoyance;
  • learned the name Patrick Spence, when ordinarily who heads to company shouldn’t matter; 
  • interrupted the smooth launch and positive PR for the headphones that was the root cause of this app disaster in the first place. 

It is such a sorry state of affairs, and whilst I have been keen to quell hyperbole and overreaction (as this will all be sorted out eventually), it is no exaggeration to say this whole episode has impacted the lives of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people around the world - many of whom aren’t aware of this forum, which is noisy enough already from those who have landed here. 

Will Sonos come back from this. Of course. In the whole scheme of things, once everything works, it will become a distant (if hideous) memory. And people will be kind to each other again.

But how utterly unnecessary and avoidable it has all been. And it’s still not over.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m with Pschwenk on this long thread of back and forth. For those of you who had luck installing the new Sonos desktop app… good for you; you’re one of the lucky ones.  I installed that originally and it worked about as well as a flaming cold sore.  I had to delete it using App Cleaner and then reload S2.  Until they release both a desktop app and an operable iOS app, I’m not going down that rabbit hole again.  As I’ve mentioned, I “updated” to the most recent iOS iPhone app and… nothing different.  I even reset the app. Nada.  It listed Your Sources and Music Library for a couple of days but I couldn’t play a thing. When I clicked on Folders, I got a blurred screen and the “Something went wrong” across the top.  Now, I don’t even see Your Sources listed. Very fun.

If you're having trouble with your Sonos Playlists, I found a work around…

xz

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Every time I think I’ve found a workaround, I quickly find serious flaws. I can use the Sonos desktop controller using Safari on my ipad. It displays my playlists. Whoopee! But unfortunately, the app will freeze. Or if it runs, it does not provide an option to group or ‘ungroup’ my three rooms of stereo pairs. The volume control reads zero, although the volume set using the controls on the speakers themselves is at about 50%. If I fiddle with volume on the app, actual volume setting fluctuates erratically. 

At present, there are no satisfactory options available. The hardware is fine. Controlling the hardware and accessing the content… not so much.

I still remember the good old days when you could twist a knob to control volume; another knob to vary balance; another knob for treble and another for bass. And if you put the tonearm down, music would play. Worked every time, just like magic!

Golly… what a concept!

Userlevel 2

So here is a quirk I discovered after looking at a workaround for playlists that was posted. I touched the arrow for Sonos Favorites and then View All for Playlists and found two copies of each of my Sonos playlists. One that has album art and one without. The one with art will not play but, the one without art will play but not create a queue.  I guess that’s better than not playing at all. Hopefully, this is something that might work for others. Here are the screenshots.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Unfortunately I also found Sonos only allows 33ish favorites so all my playlists won't fit there.  Workaround is a little restrictive and not a full-workaround.  Sad news for the weekend.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

What’s maddening is the inability to add a track or two to the queue to hear for the first time; then decide they’re not to my liking. I’m stuck with it, unless I want to dump the entire queue and start over… which I’m not about to do.

Not intentionally anyway… the interface being cluttered and confusing as it is, I inadvertently dumped a queue of about 25 tracks trying to add a track to it. Square one. 

This is getting really old really fast. My dusty stereo from the 90s and those CDs and LPs I accumulated by the hundreds are looking better and better all the time. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What’s maddening is the inability to add a track or two to the queue to hear for the first time; then decide they’re not to my liking. I’m stuck with it, unless I want to dump the entire queue and start over… which I’m not about to do.

Not intentionally anyway… the interface being cluttered and confusing as it is, I inadvertently dumped a queue of about 25 tracks trying to add a track to it. Square one. 

This is getting really old really fast. My dusty stereo from the 90s and those CDs and LPs I accumulated by the hundreds are looking better and better all the time. 

I can’t play my playlists.  Doesn’t work.  Guess I have to call a repair person.  Anyone know any Sonos repair professionals?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Old app back please. Pretty please.  With whip cream and cherry on top.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

My wife’s phone still has the old app so I have to keep asking her to control the music. She’s getting upset and this may result in the divorce. Please allow me to download the app on my phone pretty please pretty please with sugar pretty please with sugar and whip cream on the top.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Six and a half weeks in and Sonos still hasn’t fixed the inability to connect with the Mac Music folder or update the Sonos Music Library. So much for local music library access by mid June.

Perhaps I’m the only one, but as my late father would say “once is a lot if it happens to you.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

My wife’s phone still has the old app so I have to keep asking her to control the music. She’s getting upset and this may result in the divorce. Please allow me to download the app on my phone pretty please pretty please with sugar pretty please with sugar and whip cream on the top.

Thank you for adding humor to this thread. My wife agreed to my purchasing my 5s last year. I don’t think it would go well with me if I discussed buying an entirely different and new audio system. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Six and a half weeks in and Sonos still hasn’t fixed the inability to connect with the Mac Music folder or update the Sonos Music Library. So much for local music library access by mid June.

Perhaps I’m the only one, but as my late father would say “once is a lot if it happens to you.”

You’re not the only one at all

Not Good.

Have 2 systems and have to reconnect each time I switch (“can’t find system). also have to reauthenticate to Apple Music each time I switch. 

All services very slow to start. Have to restart app to get it rolling. Volume response delayed.  

None of this was problematic in the last app. Just bad all around.  I’m using airplay on these things right now. Sonos app is awful.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE APP upgrade,

Been using sonos for years, never had any issues. This app has completely brake my sonos experience. I own several speakers distributed around the house which are used daily. AFTER this upgrade I started experiencing several issues. The app is horribly slow, it takes a while for the speakers to be detected. The search doesn't work, or it won't load the icons. Extremely disappointing.

System keeps randomly muting ..fix asap or will be moving to a more reliable brand

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m beginning to think there will be no forthcoming fixes for those continuing to experience library issues. Clearly there are users for whom the current community workaround (and now revised Sonos instructions) do not work, me included. But it’s also clear we are a subset of a small user segment if claims of 10% of users using local libraries are correct. This is not a highly complex issue, it’s basic file sharing, that coincidentally works to every other capable device I own *except* Sonos. Funny that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I know this is a work around that should not be needed, but if you have not been able to use your music library for so long, why have you not tried using Plex?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Because I do not wish to use it, and should not need to - it’s another piece of software to maintain, placing additional load on my media server, to solve a problem that should not exist. My system was working perfectly until the update.