Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2548 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Yesterday I drove past the Ivey Business School (formerly Richard Ivey School of Business), in London, Ontario, from which Sonos CEO Patrick Spence graduated. I wondered whether one of its future MBA course case studies will focus on what will no doubt become infamous as one of the greatest software missteps in the home-entertainment tech industry, unfortunately spearheaded and later mismanaged by one of its alumni. https://alumni.westernu.ca/news/alumnus-finding-sound-footing.html

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Interesting article, @Toolio .  One of the things that strikes me is that PS decided to bail from RIM when it was "loosing traction in the market".  One would have thought that he, after 14 years with the company and as the global head of sales and marketing at the time would have felt some degree of responsibility but none is apparent here.

He says that the North Star of Sonos is to "fill every home with music" which is pretty hilarious when his latest software actually takes away many of his users' ability to do so as they have for years. 

Perhaps that MBA course should include a unit on arrant management bulls**t. 

Userlevel 3

The new buggy SONOS App is a perfect example how few people can destroy a company (image). How long we have to wait for the rollback? The App is catastrophic - also cannot access my music library (search does not work) and everything else already mentioned in this thread. I have very large SONOS systems in several properties and now many things do not work properly. A great pity, the HW is otherwise, as I see it, ok. Why the SONOS management is so stubborn, is the UI designer a close relative to the CEO ;-) - even then please admit the mistake and do the rollback please. ASAP!

Hi,

I don’t know if other people have the same problem but here’s what my Sonos App look like when I open it :

Sonos App glitch

It began with the update of May 21st (it wasn’t doing this with the first release of the new Sonos app), and it is really annoying.

Moreover, it takes way too much time to display information and what music is playing.

And Sonos Favorites keeps scrolling down endlessly.

Wasn’t fixed with this week’s update either.

Can the further updates fix this problem among the other things that are already planned ?

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

The CBC service remains broken on the new app. CBC radio stations cannot be added as favourites, although they can still be added in the old app and in the third-party SonoPad app on an iPad. The new app lists only CBC Radio One and CBC Music On Air under the Sonos CBC service, while the old app and third-party apps also include and play CBC Music Streams (12 curated music stream groups that include dozens of categories). Sonos continues to take away what it offered for years and the CBC service has suffered from various faults and errors since the new app was introduced, including disappearing entirely for a while.

Userlevel 7

Hmmm…

My Sonos does not load slow. Maybe it’s your network and/or your device. FYI…I’m on Sonos S2 Build 80.01.30_Ver:16.2_iPhone OS 17.5.1.  Click play:

Userlevel 1

I’ve worked as a custom integrator for 20+ years in central VA. We are a sonos dealer which has been a nightmare over the last few weeks but this post is mostly about my personal system which includes no less than 16 sonos components covering most of the range of equipment available. In addition to the multiple failures I’ve experienced one that i have not seen mentioned (maybe i missed it, there are SOOO many!) is the lack of subwoofer control when using my own non-sonos sub connected to a sonos amp sub output. The controls are there once i found them burrier in the settings (used to be quick to get to through fast eq) but they do not function. I know this is a small drop in an ocean of problems but it used to work and now it doesn’t, go figure. Also, the inability to update wifi settings without a factory default is basically a deal breaker for us installers, that is just stupid and should have been figured out prior to beta much less a full release. 

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Just upgrades to the new app, and this is really a nightmare with lots of functionalities not available!!

A very bad service to the user!!

I am really thinking about giving up on Sonos system and look for other similar systems.

I am VERY disappointed 😫😫

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hmmm…

My Sonos does not load slow. Maybe it’s your network and/or your device. FYI…I’m on Sonos S2 Build 80.01.30_Ver:16.2_iPhone OS 17.5.1.  Click play:

The apps crap dude.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I may be oversimplifying, but I wonder why Sonos doesn’t simply proactively roll back the update? They could restore the app to the previous version so that users would have a functional app while Sonos works out all the bugs in the new app. As it stands I see a rough schedule to restore some important features by mid-June (music library in my case), but the previous version had all this. Why not roll it back so that (previously) loyal users can function in the interim?

While I don’t consider it comprehensive, there is this FAQ. I believe I got that link originally from a thread. 

There have been several updates since the original release of the 80.x version controller for S2. See release notes here.

Missing/No longer functions since update:

Subwoofer control (Amp) - Can no longer control any function in “Sub Audio”. Disabling sub or adjusting Sub Level, Crossover Frequency and Phase Control no longer affect the output of the subwoofer. I did discover that the subwoofer now seems to be impacted by changing the overall Bass level in EQ. PLEASE fix this.

TV Autoplay (Amp) - Can no longer choose a volume level when TV autoplays. TV automatically starts at no volume, despite previous volume state.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Did I mention people would be crazy to put more money on the roulette table until this thing plays out. I guess those keen on headphones at least have the knowledge they will keep working via Bluetooth.

Would I buy Ace headphones at the moment if I had a need? No.

Userlevel 3
Badge

So after couple of weeks of using the new controllers (iOS and Mac) some additional feedback:

• Nothing syncs properly: TuneIN favourites are visible in iOS only but not Mac nor the web controller, meanwhile Sonos Favourites on the Mac controller are not visible on iOS nor the web controller. This makes no sense at all. The issue of adding custom URL radio station remains unresolved satisfactorily.
  • System at large remains unstable, speakers/rooms randomly cut out. Never had that problem before.
  • iOS app remains buggy and has significant delays. Same is true for the web controller.
  • Overall it remains a very disappointing user experience.

On my additional wish list: Since it is now far too easy to access Sonos systems via the web, add two factor authentication for the web controller.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It is clear that Sonos are unable to roll back to a previous version but the answer to this reputational mess is obvious.

Firstly they should announce that the new 80 based system will remain and will be gradually improved. As each issue is addressed they should issue a communication stating what has been resolved. Please note a useless time line indicating ‘mid June ‘ is of no help.Only release information when the issue is fixed.

As people find their particular problem has been solved they will move to the new software without prompting.

Secondly whilst this is happening Sonos must make the 16.1 version (labelled S2 perhaps?) available as an alternative  download.  People are not objecting to the idea of change and Sonos will find the take up of the new app will steadily improve as issues are resolved.

You cant do much about the reputational damage that has already occurred but you can stop it getting worse. You never know it might even save your Sonos job !

Userlevel 2

New App has RUINED my Sonos experience.  I used to be able to go right to the station I wanted and play it. I used to be able to turn off a station with a click on the box.  TAKE ME BACK to the previous APP as it is obvious the new one was designed by an idiot.  Do you want the word to get out that Sonos is no longer any good… too difficult to operate?  Get rid of this app NOW so I can enjoy the programs I used to be able to find.,.

I may be oversimplifying, but I wonder why Sonos doesn’t simply proactively roll back the update? They could restore the app to the previous version so that users would have a functional app while Sonos works out all the bugs in the new app. As it stands I see a rough schedule to restore some important features by mid-June (music library in my case), but the previous version had all this. Why not roll it back so that (previously) loyal users can function in the interim?

Here’s why: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home

Userlevel 2

YES, Please ROLL-BACK to the previous Update (IOS APPLE). So I can enjoy Sonos again.  Right now I HATE it.

Userlevel 2

Where is the sleep TIMER?

Mid-June.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Missing/No longer functions since update:

Subwoofer control (Amp) - Can no longer control any function in “Sub Audio”. Disabling sub or adjusting Sub Level, Crossover Frequency and Phase Control no longer affect the output of the subwoofer. I did discover that the subwoofer now seems to be impacted by changing the overall Bass level in EQ. PLEASE fix this.

TV Autoplay (Amp) - Can no longer choose a volume level when TV autoplays. TV automatically starts at no volume, despite previous volume state.

Under System/Room Name/Sound I was able to adjust the volume of my Sub in the new, downgraded black app.. Hopefully you're able to also.

Userlevel 2

Almost 3 weeks and I still have 3 new speakers sitting on my counter, unable to add them to the 7 speakers I already had on my system. It’s summertime and that’s when we use our sonos the most. Tried to get by with using speakers we had, and found the app randomly selects other speaker in the system to play music. Had a tv going with a ray, and tried to play on my Move and it mutes the TV when you pause the Move. Tries to pair them on resume. WTF Sonos. 

I am waiting patiently hoping you figure this out soon, I am assuming you cannot go back to the previous app because of the headphones, but something needs to be done. 3 weeks is unbelievable. Come on man!

Mid-June.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update WiFi settings: mid-June
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Not good enough sonos! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My music library vanished from my system today and I had to re-add it. It's never happened before in the 8 years I've been using Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hmmm…

The apps crap dude.

He's either got "magic" internet that defies the laws of physics, direct connection to the Sonos servers or just mocking up a gif. 

But for the network and device blx I've got 2 identical phones with the old and new app. The old is fine, and the new is as described because it needs the internet for every single function and sub function via web services so disconnects, acts randomly and freezes.