Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2548 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I cannot access my library at all I have been told by Sonos to be patient! May be fixed by mid June. Basically, I now own a Sonos system which has new components, that I cannot connect to my music library on my laptop, which I had been doing (not without glitches sometimes) for 10 years. If you bought speakers from Harvey Norman and they didn’t work you could take them back. So I bet there will be no offer to do so from Sonos!

The new Sonos app user interface is terrible. It is very hard to navigate. I liked the simple old interface. Also changing volume through the app takes long time to actually reflect on the system. Searching a song is a nightmare. System keeps disconnecting from internet. 

How is that possible ? This new Sonos App is a mess ! Very complicated to use, a lot of bugs (some of my speakers disapearing from a group; impossible to control the volume of some of them / Difficulties to listen the sound of the TV on the Beam bar - it plays music from a playlist instead - almost impossible to change the source, I have to shut down the whole system + the TV and restart all !!!). 

Problems with Tune In radios also.
I bought a Sonos system for my parents at Christmas… Almost impossible for them to use it since the app change.
Sonos Team have to fix all these bugs asap… OR give access to the previous version of the app…

Sonos was supposed to be simple to use !!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What a great question. Hmmmmm let’s see, maybe customer service for  someone that is in for $20k in their products?  Too much to ask?  

They ‘ve already got your money, and you are doing nothing at all to get them any more in the future.  Matter of fact, it seems you are meaning to bash them at every turn.  Personally, I’d cull you out and ignore you, knowing you will eventually go away (or show yourself to be nothing but an outlier). 

And $20k in products, even if you bought all Sonos Arcs, is 32 total (and nobody buys 32 Arcs).  The most a Sonos system can support is 32.  Like to try again?  

8 amps, 16 architectural speakers, 4 subs, 4 soundbars, 16 of the various tabletop speakers, one boost - do the math genius. Try again?

Userlevel 2

The new app is so bad it defies belief. How did it get signed off? The CEO needs to be made aware. We’ve invested massively in a system that’s now unusable. I feel Sonos need to be held accountable and compensate users. 

I’d settle though at having the old app back, being able to turn the volume up and down or putting on a radio station feels like a distant luxury now. 

Userlevel 2

This is what the new app looks like to me. 2 weeks in, same every day. Frozen, no function, can’t login. Have deleted and reinstalled multiple times. Awful service and customer experience, Sonos please refund all my kit or fix this. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Although the complaints about the new app understandably focus on the various features that have been removed without warning, my concern is that when (if?) these features are restored the app remains extremely slow to respond to commands, even slower than the previous app. And that’s saying something! I bought the Sonophone app when it became clear that the new Sonos app was awful and it is like night and day. It responds more or less instantaneously and, even if it’s design leaves something to desired, is so much enjoyable to use than the new Sonos app.

Userlevel 2

Although the complaints about the new app understandably focus on the various features that have been removed without warning, my concern is that when (if?) these features are restored the app remains extremely slow to respond to commands, even slower than the previous app. And that’s saying something! I bought the Sonophone app when it became clear that the new Sonos app was awful and it is like night and day. It responds more or less instantaneously and, even if it’s design leaves something to desired, is so much enjoyable to use than the new Sonos app.

Thanks Jassjet. I didn’t know about the Sonophone app. Just purchased it and it’s got my system working again. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thought I’d give an update on my Sonos Exit

2 eras cancelled from buying  

arc. Sold

sub. Sold

2 x ikea lamps used as rears. Sold

Sonos Move. Sold

still have one move and a roam to go. 

Are you considering any good alternatives? Sonos has shown that we can not trust a closed ecosystem. But what are good alternatives out there and how do they compare (pros/cons) to Sonos?

@lape0341

Do the following:

1. Select Amazon Music
  2. Search Artist
  3. Select Artist
  4. Select Top Songs
  5. Select Three Dots to Right of Top Songs (…)
  6. Pin Collection To Home
  7. Go To Home
  8. Under Sonos Favorites Find Top Songs for Artist Selected
  9. Tap To Play
  10. Optional: Select Cross Fade to Play Song’s in Random Order

@AjTrek1     I appreciate your reply and the work around.
The primary message though to Sonos is…. Why is a work around necessary?
Please put the play button back inside the Amazon Music navigation screens.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Does anyone have any news on an actual class action lawsuit? I’ve got 10 Sonos devices and am very eager to join any serious effort,

The company needs to pay through the nose for this.

Userlevel 7

@lape0341

Do the following:

1. Select Amazon Music
  2. Search Artist
  3. Select Artist
  4. Select Top Songs
  5. Select Three Dots to Right of Top Songs (…)
  6. Pin Collection To Home
  7. Go To Home
  8. Under Sonos Favorites Find Top Songs for Artist Selected
  9. Tap To Play
  10. Optional: Select Cross Fade to Play Song’s in Random Order

Hmmmm…it may not be a work around. As it could be the new functionality of the app. I can’t say for sure 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Does anyone have any news on an actual class action lawsuit? I’ve got 10 Sonos devices and am very eager to join any serious effort,

…rather than waiting another week or two? Makes so much sense.

You could always waste your time trying to set up your own class action instead? 

There are thousands of posts by owners wondering why existing features were removed or why bugs exist in the app since the release in the new app.

It’s not because Sonos cares about current owner usability and experience, IMO they prioritized one thing over everything else. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes, they did. And it’s bizarre they did remove these. BUT they will be reinstated because that is what Sonos speaker systems rely on.

Can no-one wait a couple of weeks for the clear errors to be undone??? It’s not like Sonos doesn’t know, regardless of their questionable decision making. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I can’t wait.  If my car had a recall, caused by the manufacturer, and I couldn’t drive it until they fixed I would not accept them telling me just park it in the garage for a couple of weeks till we get around to fixing it.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I can’t wait.  If my car had a recall, caused by the manufacturer, and I couldn’t drive it until they fixed I would not accept them telling me just park it in the garage for a couple of weeks till we get around to fixing it.  

But all this posturing is pointless. By the time you get round to ending the moaning and taking action, the app will be updated again, your Sonos will work, and your whole time complaining will have been an utter waste of your time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

What a great question. Hmmmmm let’s see, maybe customer service for  someone that is in for $20k in their products?  Too much to ask?  

And $20k in products, even if you bought all Sonos Arcs, is 32 total (and nobody buys 32 Arcs).  The most a Sonos system can support is 32.  Like to try again?  

Perhaps he has Sonos systems in more than one location. I have two extensive Sonos systems in two countries, and I switch between them. (Not worth $20,000, but one of those locations is in a country whose dollar-denominated currency is  worth far less than the US$, so $20,000 in local $ terms not out of the question. Not everybody who thinks in dollars is American). 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I'm usually fairly technologically savvy but I've been wondering if I'm getting dementia.

Pro: I see a big orange banner on the site saying there's an issue with Amazon Alexa and Android. Thank you Sonos, because that's a sign not only that I may not be going crazy but also to avoid going down the rabbit hole.

Cons: Why stop there?  I'm getting to grandad age, but I never thought I wouldn't be able to figure out how to listen to music. It's not like it's like trying to use a TV remote or setting a microwave clock, but here comes Sonos to prove me wrong.

My biggest issue: How do I know what's a bug, a feature drop, a design change or what I should be doing to try and hear some sound in my house?

I downgraded Deezer to a single account (maybe multiple accounts are a problem?), deleted all my playlists but one (now I know why the rest of my family were so pissed off when I shut down the Family package - the theoretical no big deal becomes the reality of are you kidding me?). But, alas, after 3 "something went wrongs", I see Deezer again. Success!

Well, not quite. I can't get past the something went wrong when I try to load playlists, but I can search for them and, by gosh, play one. Not easily, it takes a few times hitting the play button, but there's sound! At least in one room, but, hey, it's something!! And a stereo pair!!! Like, real music!!!

But not in the room I want, so I crank it up to hear music in the adjoining room because I can't figure out how to add that room, the very reason I bought a multi-room system. I can't figure out how to change the volume. I go up, it goes back down, but after hitting the screen seemingly randomly a few times, it somehow sticks. A little louder than I wanted but I figure a little overcompensating for my sensory deprivation is probably not a bad thing.

Fast forward, and my wife comes in a few minutes later to say turn it down. No problem, as it was irritating me, too, since it was a rando playlist. Good luck with figuring out that one!

There's nothing on my lockscreen, and when I finally get into the app, no system found. So, we're now moving furniture to unplug the speakers.

But here's the kicker, I have no idea if this is just how the new app is designed to work, whether it's a known bug, etc.

How do I track what's a known problem and what's a feature of the "improved" app that so many people have apparently been calling for? Sonos may be brave in rolling it out, but I'm feeling stupider by the day and more and more like I made a mistake going all in on the ecosystem.

I Google, and it seems I can control the volume via the lock screen, but I can't figure out the instructions on the Sonos help page so I start farting around in Android's permissions, all to know avail.

Why can't they put out a single page that shows each feature and it's status, like the orange Alexis banner? That would go a long way in helping me figure out what's going on and when I should just be patient, block off more time to call Support or cut my losses.

Lockscreen support page:

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/control-sonos-from-the-android-lock-screen

When trying to turn the volume down:

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks Jassjet. I didn’t know about the Sonophone app. Just purchased it and it’s got my system working again. 

Just checked it out, but no Android love. Anything equivalent in the Android world?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just checked it out, but no Android love. Anything equivalent in the Android world?

On Android, you can delete the new app and install an apk of the previous app version 16.1, if you Google Sonos 16.1 apk. Just be sure to leave auto update off.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

You could always waste your time trying to set up your own class action instead? 

Because leadership has inspired such confidence in their ability to fix this mess and the waiting has thus far proven so fruitful?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks, Rhonny! I don't know why I didn't think of that but it works brilliantly - at least for now.

Now being reminded of the old app, I'm guessing the rationale for the new app design is to dumb down the user interface with less options. This is the same redesign philosophy I've noticed a lot of lately.

Clearly, it's a sign of the times, and I'm sure based on evidence that folks on this forum are all at the margins in terms of use cases.

My IT group at work has convinced me (begrudgingly) that 99% of our users just want to be able to hit the "play" button (so to speak), and the more options you give them, the louder the complaints (measured in terms of bodies, not decibels - we've got them beat on that front!).

It's sad, but I think we've lost the fight (with Sonos and beyond) on customization vs simplicity, as the latter is much more cost effective and we're dinosaurs when you crunch the numbers re: impact. That leaves niche products, but then back to the $ issue that's driving the change in the first place. I don't know it well enough, but maybe an API solution?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Because leadership has inspired such confidence in their ability to fix this mess and the waiting has thus far proven so fruitful?

I cannot access my uploads to YouTube music, search returns nothing.

I can play stuff beginning with an A if I click on my library through services, but the infinite scroll is broken and just starts all over again when I'm  nearing anything beginning with B.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't just release a S2 and S3 (new app), this would literally make all your current users happy and still allow you to release your headphones this financial quarter. It's not as if you haven't already used this strategy with S1