Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2469 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Occam's razor.

If it works perfectly on one device with the old App but really poor on another then it doesn't point to any local issue to me, other than the new App.  There could be any number of issues with why it works for one user and not another but scalability and routing and all sorts of issues will have been known about in advance and should have been accounted for.  The are untold number of other users complaining about slow speeds.

@TC123246 , can't you remove the new App from the device and re-install the old one?

You can avoid risk by installing APK Extractor on the good device to get the base 16.1 App and send it to the other device and install it.

Userlevel 1

Hate the new Sonos App!! Have all the same problems that others list here. Will not be buying another Sonos Product if this is not fixed soon.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Occam's razor.

If it works perfectly on one device with the old App but really poor on another then it doesn't point to any local issue to me, other than the new App.  There could be any number of issues with why it works for one user and not another but scalability and routing and all sorts of issues will have been known about in advance and should have been accounted for.  The are untold number of other users complaining about slow speeds.

@TC123246 , can't you remove the new App from the device and re-install the old one?

You can avoid risk by installing APK Extractor on the good device to get the base 16.1 App and send it to the other device and install it.

I can use the old app yes. I set the new one up on my spare phone precisely to disprove the nonsense about 'local' issues and gather the evidence for myself initially. I've still got some tests to run and then I'm going to send it to my installation engineer and Sonos Support to see if they can act like adults instead of petulant narcissists gaslighting.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

My app experience is terrible. Has it gotten a bit better. Yes. Is it acceptable. No way. Well unless you expect to get a good dividend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You seen to be totally lacking in any empathy.

Yes, I don’t do empathy - I just show the facts as I see them here. I also provide the supporting evidence and demonstrate that any videos posted have not been edited, or tampered with. If an App can launch on one network in 10 seconds, but takes 54 seconds on another, then there’s something wrong in the latter case and my non-empathetic viewpoint is it’s likely not the Sonos App, but far more likely it’s something a little closer to home that’s possibly causing the lag.  

I believe both of you are seeing what you claim. The new app has a distinctly different architecture: both the controller (iOS/Android app) and Sonos devices communicate with Sonos servers “out on the internet” … and that introduces all kinds of variables that were not present a month ago. In addition to internet bandwidth and latency, there’s load on the Sonos servers. And everyone's ISP modem and router/firewall are now in play, which can be introduce behaviors that are devilish to diagnose.

So while I agree that the longer 54-second latency is “something a little closer to home,” there may be VERY little that @Silverthorn can do about it. And given that the old app was way more responsive, it is reasonable to attribute the unwanted sluggishness to the new app.

Engineering aside: neither the old app nor the new app are computationally demanding by any definition. Any compatible device is absolutely powerful enough to run both apps in a responsive manner. Restating for clarity: device horsepower plays a very limited role in Sonos app performance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

You seen to be totally lacking in any empathy.

Yes, I don’t do empathy - I just show the facts as I see them here. I also provide the supporting evidence and demonstrate that any videos posted have not been edited, or tampered with. If an App can launch on one network in 10 seconds, but takes 54 seconds on another, then there’s something wrong in the latter case and my non-empathetic viewpoint is it’s likely not the Sonos App, but far more likely it’s something a little closer to home that’s possibly causing the lag.  

I believe both of you are seeing what you claim. The new app has a distinctly different architecture: both the controller (iOS/Android app) and Sonos devices communicate with Sonos servers “out on the internet” … and that introduces all kinds of variables that were not present a month ago. In addition to internet bandwidth and latency, there’s load on the Sonos servers. And everyone's ISP modem and router/firewall are now in play, which can be introduce behaviors that are devilish to diagnose.

So while I agree that the longer 54-second latency is “something a little closer to home,” there may be VERY little that @Silverthorn can do about it. And given that the old app was way more responsive, it is reasonable to attribute the unwanted sluggishness to the new app.

Engineering aside: neither the old app nor the new app are computationally demanding by any definition. Any compatible device is absolutely powerful enough to run both apps in a responsive manner. Restating for clarity: device horsepower plays a very limited role in Sonos app performance.

Mine doesn't take that long it starts up reasonably quickly but then it spins it's wheels for a time. I’m not bothering to time it or create evidence to support my claim. I can well accept that people are having issues as I see them myself.

@TC123246 highlighted concerns that some videos/animations posted were ‘tampered’ with, perhaps to make it appear that all was okay and that he was seeing the ‘real world’ with the App.

All I did was to ‘immediately’ go onto record and share two time-stamped screen-capture recordings of the new Sonos App launching on my iPad and older iPhone XR to show the App loads here in under 10 seconds from a fully closed state, on what is ‘perhaps’ a larger than average Home Sonos system to show it was ‘likely not the Sonos App at fault, which was taking him 5x longer to launch that any of my controllers here.

I (strongly) suggest if anyone is launching the new Sonos App and it’s taking 54 seconds to launch it, then they should look closer to Home for the cause of the issue. Keeping in mind @TC123246 says they’re from the UK, the same as me …and are using one of the UK’s top internet providers.

Moderator edit: moderated to remove irrelevant conversation but retain advice

I have little faith any app fixes will roll out to support our older devices. Forced obsolescence despite these speakers sounding so well and working (at least 90% of the time) just a few weeks ago. 

Looks like Sonos just wants us to buy the new stuff and just throw our still good sounding speakers. 

if that’s the case at least tell us older speakers may not be supported anymore and offer a good trade in program (at least for those who still want to stay with Sonos) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Silverthorn 

Why are you now changing the subject here? The post from @TC123246 says it takes 54 seconds to launch the Sonos App. In reply, I explained it takes around 7 seconds to launch the same App here, albeit for a system with 25 Sonos products (10+ Sonos rooms) and 18 music services installed in the App (that includes a local NAS library).

Ken and @Silverthorn: let it go, mates.

Re-stating my post above: I believe @Ken_Griffiths is seeing “10 seconds” and @TC123246 is seeing “54 seconds” … and it is quite likely there is nothing wrong with @TC123246‘s home setup.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

If the App is really more web based it might be useful if people state their country for others to get a read on their own experience. If so I presume Sonos has a read on that sort of data already and are thinking about it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hopefully Sonos research around the headphones is better looking than Peter Pee stats. Seems most are interested in an Arc gen 2. He does like the headphones though.

A review in the Australian Financial Review…

https://www.afr.com/technology/nice-headphones-sonos-shame-about-the-app-20240602-p5jimr

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Paywalled for most people but the lead is not a good look. Unfortunately its right.

Userlevel 2

They might listen if we found a decent class action plaintiff’s lawyer. Problem there is, we’d all get * like a prepaid card and the plaintiffs’ lawyers would get a seven figure payday. You can guarantee there are internal documents we'd get in discovery (let alone deposing these a holes) proving, as someone said above, they released this app knowing (or with reckless or conscious disregard) it was going to cause these damages (including, but not limited to, the loss of our systems and hardware, the cost of a replacement system (called cover damages) etc, but needing it for their headphones. Such documents might even rise to the level of fraud or in California would easily rise to an unfair business practices claim under California Business & Professions Code, Section 17200 et. seq. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 1

Did whomever made the new app ever actually use it for like more than 5 minutes. It's unusable. Constantly disconnecting the entire system, sometimes all the speakers pop in perfectly or other times it just says it's unable to locate the system. In fact, I get more reliable music just using the Spotify app rather than the Sonos app itself, which is quite sad that a third-party app like Spotify is more competent at running my Sonos speakers than the actual Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Ken_Griffiths , when someone has two devices and one running the latest one, widely reported to be a buggy mess, is slow for them then the issue is far more likely to be related to the App and not their setup.  They’ve changed the app for the old one and it’s fine again.  As I and others have said, when Sonos seem to have shifted lots of the ‘work’ online then it’s hardly surprising that many users are seeing slow response times, amongst many other issues.  There could also be config changes made in the app that need adjusting by Sonos for the wide variety of different users’ setups.

Your sheer reluctance to accept any other hypotheses and insist you have to be right based on the fact you don’t have any issues is bizarre.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Ken_Griffiths , when someone has two devices and one running the latest one, widely reported to be a buggy mess, is slow for them then the issue is far more likely to be related to the App and not their setup.  They’ve changed the app for the old one and it’s fine again.  As I and others have said, when Sonos seem to have shifted lots of the ‘work’ online then it’s hardly surprising that many users are seeing slow response times, amongst many other issues.  There could also be config changes made in the app that need adjusting by Sonos for the wide variety of different users’ setups.

Your sheer reluctance to accept any other hypotheses and insist you have to be right based on the fact you don’t have any issues is bizarre.

Separately, to ‘not do empathy’ is an awful character trait - but to appear to be proud of that is maybe even worse.

Even the firmware didn’t seem to make a difference. I declined the update for the app on my iPad and it worked fine after the firmware dropped until the app updated anyway.

edit people are paying attentiion sjw got a pretty quick like before mine.

I despise the new app. It’s not intuative and I fear Sonos are going to come for the Mac desktop app next. Please leave it alone.

To be honest, if the iPhone app isn’t put back as it was, quickly, then I’m thinking of sticking all my 14 zones of Sonos on Ebay and getting Bluesound everywhere as I use it at another home, the app is much better than the new Sonos app and it does proper 24 bit (96 & 192 kHz).

Put the app back as it was or I'm going to bin my entire Sonos system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I despise the new app. It’s not intuative and I fear Sonos are going to come for the Mac desktop app next. Please leave it alone.

They’ve left the Mac desktop app alone for years. You’re quite safe there. It’s not available in the App Store any more so it’s unlikely to ever be touched.

Userlevel 3
Badge

While Sonos may have been able to ignore (at least initially) or rationalise the huge negativity directed at them, as many people check online reviews and feedback prior to buying items I wonder how many new purchases have been deferred or cancelled over the last month, to say nothing of additional buying by existing customers. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

They’ve left the Mac desktop app alone for years. You’re quite safe there. It’s not available in the App Store any more so it’s unlikely to ever be touched.

They haven’t. They recently removed legacy TuneIN from the Mac controller for example, and thus all custom radio stations URLs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

They haven’t. They recently removed legacy TuneIN from the Mac controller for example, and thus all custom radio stations URLs.

Ah okay. I don’t use TuneIn or any custom station URLs, just Apple Music, Spotify, Sonos Radio and BBC Sounds, so wouldn’t have seen any change. I think Music Library is still supported, although again I don’t use that route. 

The new app is not an improvement at all.  You now cant search your library, and also i have real issues in correctly selecting a room when I want to change a source - it keeps defaulting to the last room.  it seems to be a buggy mess.  I recently upgrade components form S1 to S2 having debated switching to Bluesound - I wish I had switched now. 

For the first time in nearly a month I have been able to connect my Move to the app.  I reauthorised Amazon Music and the Alexa assistant.  Alexa works but won’t play music.  I cannot connect to my music library on my PC.  It is, however, progress. At least I can ask Alexa for the weather forecast and receive an answer in beautiful sound. (That’s a touch of irony for the benefit of Americans 😋).

Userlevel 1
Badge

I (strongly) suggest if anyone is launching the new Sonos App and it’s taking 54 seconds to launch it, then they should look closer to Home for the cause of the issue. Keeping in mind @TC123246 says they’re from the UK, the same as me …and are using one of the UK’s top internet providers.

I’ve got a couple of Play 1s and an Era 100, and if I disconnect the Era 100 the time it takes for “Music Library” to appear jumps from ~1 to ~7 seconds. That’s in a setup where I only have a local music library (as I don’t use the Sonos app).

It sounds like you have a number of speakers, do you experience the same thing, assuming you have any Play 1s?