Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2491 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@twentyoneviolets 
If you’re playing on speakers A & B, you can then open the Grouping screen, tick speaker C and untick speakers A & B, press Apply, and you will then be playing only on speaker C.
This removes any need for a second account.

If you’re playing on speakers A & B, you can then open the Grouping screen, tick speaker C and untick speakers A & B, press Apply, and you will then be playing only on speaker C.
This removes any need for a second account. 

Thanks for the quick reply, @Rhonny! This is what I’ve always done, but this morning, the app wasn’t allowing me to go about it this way. When I tried to change the selected speakers from A & B to C, the app was then showing the original Pandora station on A & B and the new station I was trying to select on speaker C, but all 3 stopped playing. I thought it might’ve been a connection issue to Pandora (it’s always been a little less reliable for me than Spotify or Apple Music in terms of using it with Sonos) or a network issue on my part. From all accounts, my network seems fine.

I guess what I want to highlight is that, under normal circumstances, if I were having trouble with Pandora, I could end the session and start a new one. I’d really like that functionality back; Pandora is the only connected service with which I used that feature often.

Hard to summarise so, so many problems with the new app, but the two things that stop me using my system AT ALL are the following:-

- Speakers not found by app

- volume changes in app simply don't affect speakers

It is terrifying that this app was released at all. I think a return to the old app should be an option until Sonos can build and test something fit form purpose.

Genuinely a horrific experience and the CEO email is a text-book case of how to make things worse when a software release goes wrong.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So is this latest update - worse? Hard to believe that it could be but I have to ask. I am running 80.03.07 currently which is horrible but I am over writing and complaining about it. I use my laptop or the sonophone app most of the time. 

Derrick, I’m sure you know by now, but the latest IOS version is 80.04.04. That came on July 1, but I’m not impressed with it. I’ve noticed a couple of small changes that really don’t affect the way I use my Sonos system, but still no changes to editing a playlist unless you use the desktop controller app. 

Userlevel 1

Question to anyone: all the tunes i have stored on my NAS have tags, including cover art.  I use a 3rd party app to build a queue (temporary until Sonos deliver the promised features). The cover art appears in the 3rd party playing now window, but not on the new Sonos app…or at least almost never… once in a while it will display the cover art. Does the Sonos app use the embedded tags or does it get the jpg from the folder location? I used to name those jpg files with an album specific name, but i now just use folder.jpg or front cd cover.jpg . Anyone?

Thanks for the replies.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hello, osm… I can see how what I wrote might be confusing.  Remember the May 2nd email indicating that Sonos would no longer support SMBv1 / HTTP library locations? Well, unbeknownst to me, my lowly SSD USB drives fall under that category.  By placing a temporary Music LIbrary on the internal drive of my iMac - and adding said Library using the S2 app’s Preferences - in my simple mind I was trying to see if moving ALL of my music onto my internal drive(s) would fix my problems. Currently, my Music Libraries do not appear under Your Sources on the new iOS app.  I even tried manually inputting the network path (using a Sonos link that I found in the Forum here) and, even though all went well doing that, my Libraries still wouldn’t shot up.  I “can” play music but have to used the S2 desktop controller.  Thanks very much for requesting clarification, osm.

When you say USB drive, do you mean a USB drive connected directly to a USB port on the Mac, or do you mean a USB drive connected to a USB port on your router?

In the desktop app when you go to manage > music library settings > folders, what does the existing path actually look like? If there are any terms in the path you want to keep private on here (such as a username), just replace with a similar word in same format.  

Good morning, osm… My USBs are connected to the USB bus on my iMac (plugged directly into the back of it).  So, via the Apple Community Forum, i/we have determined that the iMac controls the SMB version so I’m almost positive that I’m not in violation of that. As for the network path in Music Library Settings, I used a document posted by Sonos to ensure the path was named correctly.  It worked prior to the dreaded iOS update but, just in case, I followed their instructions (computer name followed by folder name). Once done, it still worked properly via the S2 desktop controller but still NOT with the iOS app. I’m hoping that sometime this month, Sonos will deliver an app update - or additional app - where by those of us who aren’t streamers can get our systems back up and running.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hello, osm… I can see how what I wrote might be confusing.  Remember the May 2nd email indicating that Sonos would no longer support SMBv1 / HTTP library locations? Well, unbeknownst to me, my lowly SSD USB drives fall under that category.  By placing a temporary Music LIbrary on the internal drive of my iMac - and adding said Library using the S2 app’s Preferences - in my simple mind I was trying to see if moving ALL of my music onto my internal drive(s) would fix my problems. Currently, my Music Libraries do not appear under Your Sources on the new iOS app.  I even tried manually inputting the network path (using a Sonos link that I found in the Forum here) and, even though all went well doing that, my Libraries still wouldn’t shot up.  I “can” play music but have to used the S2 desktop controller.  Thanks very much for requesting clarification, osm.

When you say USB drive, do you mean a USB drive connected directly to a USB port on the Mac, or do you mean a USB drive connected to a USB port on your router?

In the desktop app when you go to manage > music library settings > folders, what does the existing path actually look like? If there are any terms in the path you want to keep private on here (such as a username), just replace with a similar word in same format.  

Good morning, osm… My USBs are connected to the USB bus on my iMac (plugged directly into the back of it).  So, via the Apple Community Forum, i/we have determined that the iMac controls the SMB version so I’m almost positive that I’m not in violation of that. As for the network path in Music Library Settings, I used a document posted by Sonos to ensure the path was named correctly.  It worked prior to the dreaded iOS update but, just in case, I followed their instructions (computer name followed by folder name). Once done, it still worked properly via the S2 desktop controller but still NOT with the iOS app. I’m hoping that sometime this month, Sonos will deliver an app update - or additional app - where by those of us who aren’t streamers can get our systems back up and running.

Thanks for update. If you’re able to successfully connect to a network share using the “networked device” option in the desktop app but that library is not showing up in the new mobile app I would usually suspect the issue to be because the share is configured to use SMB1 file sharing protocol (which the new mobile app doesn’t support). People with very old NAS devices which are stuck on SMB1 have encountered such issues. But as your share is coming from a MacOS device I would assume MacOS would be using use at least SMB2 by default (which the new app does support).

I think you mentioned in an earlier reply that you have deliberately avoided updating the firmware of your Sonos system. My suspicion is that this is probably the factor preventing the library from showing up in the new mobile app even though you have can see it as a networked device in the desktop app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for update. If you’re able to successfully connect to a network share using the “networked device” option in the desktop app but that library is not showing up in the new mobile app I would usually suspect the issue to be because the share is configured to use SMB1 file sharing protocol (which the new mobile app doesn’t support). People with very old NAS devices which are stuck on SMB1 have encountered such issues. But as your share is coming from a MacOS device I would assume MacOS would be using use at least SMB2 by default (which the new app does support). 

Hi @SlamDesi and @osm, the v16.2 firmware is the deciding factor in removing SMBv1 (and http sharing) support. Assuming you are running said firmware, if you get your local library working in the desktop app (via “networked device” as noted) it should work in the new mobile app. If you are running v16.1 firmware, on the other hand, you could see SMBv1 work on the desktop app but not on the new mobile app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I think you mentioned in an earlier reply that you have deliberately avoided updating the firmware of your Sonos system. My suspicion is that this is probably the factor preventing the library from showing up in the new mobile app even though you have can see it as a networked device in the desktop app. 

osm:  Thanks very much for your reply and analysis. I was thinking that my not updating the firmware could be the weak link here.  I’m still quite wary of doing that at this point as everything BUT the mobile app is working... although, IMHO, that mobile app, is one of the pieces that makes the Sonos ecosystem as attractive as it has been.  The iMac that runs our main Music Library is only two years old as is the USB connected to it that contains said music library.  Question: Are you on an Apple platform and have you installed the new firmware on your speakers?  Thanks again, osm.  Brad

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @SlamDesi and @osm, the v16.2 firmware is the deciding factor in removing SMBv1 (and http sharing) support. Assuming you are running said firmware, if you get your local library working in the desktop app (via “networked device” as noted) it should work in the new mobile app. If you are running v16.1 firmware, on the other hand, you could see SMBv1 work on the desktop app but not on the new mobile app.

press250…. Thanks for your input regarding the firmware. osm has suggested the same thing. I’m getting closer to taking the firmware plunge but am still extremely wary of doing so.  I see that Sonos is going to address local libraries some time in July (it was schedule for mid-June).  It would give me some reassurance if someone was experiencing the same issues as I and, on a Mac platform, had success after installing the 16.2 firmware patch.  Thanks again, press.  Brad

I am not an expert user. My needs are simple

The most basic and simple requirements are no longer intuitive. I still havent figured out how to repeatably select different feeds for different speakers. Come on guys..make it simple to use. I shouldn't have to read a manual or watch a u tube video for simple stuff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

press250…. Thanks for your input regarding the firmware. osm has suggested the same thing. I’m getting closer to taking the firmware plunge but am still extremely wary of doing so.  I see that Sonos is going to address local libraries some time in July (it was schedule for mid-June).  It would give me some reassurance if someone was experiencing the same issues as I and, on a Mac platform, had success after installing the 16.2 firmware patch.  Thanks again, press.  Brad

Super prudent gameplan, @SlamDesi, given the unidirectional nature of updating firmware to v16.2!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I am not an expert user. My needs are simple

The most basic and simple requirements are no longer intuitive. I still havent figured out how to repeatably select different feeds for different speakers. Come on guys..make it simple to use. I shouldn't have to read a manual or watch a u tube video for simple stuff.

I do understand that  many many people have been beset with issues, bugs and the like.  I’m not so sure I buy into the argument that the app is in any way unintuitive.  It’s different in the layout to the prior app but it took me all of 5 minutes to figure it all out. 
Slide up from the bottom and select the room / zone to be the ‘active’ speaker.  Then select your source.  Maybe I’m missing something here but I don’t know how it could be any easier.  Really, I don’t. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

osm:  Thanks very much for your reply and analysis. I was thinking that my not updating the firmware could be the weak link here.  I’m still quite wary of doing that at this point as everything BUT the mobile app is working... although, IMHO, that mobile app, is one of the pieces that makes the Sonos ecosystem as attractive as it has been.  The iMac that runs our main Music Library is only two years old as is the USB connected to it that contains said music library.  Question: Are you on an Apple platform and have you installed the new firmware on your speakers?  Thanks again, osm.  Brad

@SlamDesi I don’t have a Mac so have not personally tried creating Mac-based network share and connecting it to a Sonos system running the 16.2 firmware. However, I do have a NAS-based network share (essentially a Linux-based network share) connected to my system (running 16.2 firmware) and its working fine with with the new mobile app. I’ve also definitely seen some people on here say they have Mac-based network shares working with the new mobile app (implying they are on 16.2 firmware).

There are certainly also people saying they can’t manage to get their Mac-based music library working with the new mobile app. But this could be for a variety of reasons that aren’t always clear in posts. Some might be like you and have not yet updated the system firmware. Some might have updated the firmware but are still attempting to use unsupported methods of connecting their folder to their system, leading to so-called 913 errors. Some may be trying to use the supported “networked device” option but aren’t correctly configuring or adding their network share (this doesn’t seem to be a problem you have as you have managed to add a network share via the desktop app). There are also some who manage to successfully add the network share but then indexing fails for some reason. However, this final indexing issue also occurred for some prior to the new firmware/app so is possibly a longstanding issue affecting a subset of libraries when connected as a network share from any source rather than something caused by the new firmware/app or something specific to Mac-based network shares. 

Regarding Sonos addressing local libraries in July. My expectation is the only people who will be affected by these updates will be people running 16.2 or higher firmware. I could be wrong but I don’t think there’s any indication that it will lead to the new mobile app supporting libraries running on 16.1 firmware.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@SlamDesi I am running my speaker firmware and PC desktop app on the latest releases together with the new and old Android apps (mostly the old one...). I am not seeing any real issue with my local NAS based libraries in either app once they were moved away from SMB1. I am of course seeing various issues with the new app including sluggish load/response times.

I appreciate that this is not MAC but, that aside, speaker firmware seems fine at the current release... Just an additional note, when migrating libraries away from SMB1 (with no path change) I did have to remap and do an update scan in the desktop app before they were useable.

Userlevel 4
Badge

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App.

I’ve use both S2 (Iphone & Ipad) and the new Sonos App (Pixel tablet).  I keep autoupdate turned off expressly for software changes like this. I lived through what I like to call, the Sonos White App a few years back and I learned my lesson then.

That said, I routinely use both versions and have a fair understanding of both.

However, I find that when I’m given a choice (when they happen to be in the same room), I will almost always reach for the S2 version on my Iphone.

Familiarity isn’t the problem, I find these three reasons as to why I chose S2 over your new app.

1. I prefer Old Search to the new. I can quickly refine my searches with choices of Artist, Songs Albums Playlist etc., rather than a conglomeration of everything.
  1. Switching rooms is clunky.  Bottom TABS just work better. Perhaps a more intuitive title would help. Your Speakers versus Your System? I recognize that you also call it System on S2 but I never really paid attention to it because I just clicked on the easy TAB at the bottom.
  2. No TABS: From Homepage to Services to Speakers to Search to Settings in one easy click… I understand you could possibly argue that you “sort of” have that on the Homepage but the key difference (as with the stand alone music apps I have) is that the TABS exist on every screen.

And lastly, this small annoyance; I’m not able to remove Sonos Radio from the home page.

I have services. Three of them actually. I use all three from time to time. What I don’t use is Sonos Radio. What I don’t need to see is Sonos Radio. You have that little manage button right there, let me actually manage my services by being able to remove it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@SlamDesi I don’t have a Mac so have not personally tried creating Mac-based network share and connecting it to a Sonos system running the 16.2 firmware. However, I do have a NAS-based network share (essentially a Linux-based network share) connected to my system (running 16.2 firmware) and its working fine with with the new mobile app. I’ve also definitely seen some people on here say they have Mac-based network shares working with the new mobile app (implying they are on 16.2 firmware).

There are certainly also people saying they can’t manage to get their Mac-based music library working with the new mobile app. But this could be for a variety of reasons that aren’t always clear in posts. Some might be like you and have not yet updated the system firmware. Some might have updated the firmware but are still attempting to use unsupported methods of connecting their folder to their system, leading to so-called 913 errors. Some may be trying to use the supported “networked device” option but aren’t correctly configuring or adding their network share (this doesn’t seem to be a problem you have as you have managed to add a network share via the desktop app). There are also some who manage to successfully add the network share but then indexing fails for some reason. However, this final indexing issue also occurred for some prior to the new firmware/app so is possibly a longstanding issue affecting a subset of libraries when connected as a network share from any source rather than something caused by the new firmware/app or something specific to Mac-based network shares. 

Regarding Sonos addressing local libraries in July. My expectation is the only people who will be affected by these updates will be people running 16.2 or higher firmware. I could be wrong but I don’t think there’s any indication that it will lead to the new mobile app supporting libraries running on 16.1 firmware.

osm:  Thanks for much for another thoughtful reply. I “think” I’m gonna wait until Sonos releases whatever it is they’re going to release this month and, upon updating, my libraries still don’t appear, I might just go ahead and do the firmware upgrade and see where I land. At that point I could honestly say that I’ve tried it all.  One of my wish list things is that we’ll see an S2-like app for we lowly non-streamers yet, it doesn’t seem like corporate is leaning in that direction.  Thanks again for the time you took to write up your reply.  I appreciate it.

First of all I don’t mind the new UI, I’m not even that bothered about missing alarms, I can wait for some of other missing features as well.

But, since you stated that the one of the main goals for the new app was speed, oh boy, you failed miserably, this new app is so slow it’s almost unusable, it loads slow, there is delay for every click of the button and volume change, so you click multiple times and than end up skipping songs, search is slow, everything is so sluggish, like it’s on dial up.

Fortunately old mac app is still working like it used to, even third party app “Menu bar controller” is working much better, and I’m also using old sonos rest apis locally via raspberry PI and that is working just fine, it’s just the app that’s slow (on iphone, ipad in the browser).

So please, please, fix the speed issue first.

I’m from Slovenia, EU, I have 1gbps internet connection, ping to sonos.com is around 20ms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

100 pages is in sight🤣

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ll help get to 100 as I don’t have patience to read through all these. I ran the recent update, hoping for the improvements promised since the setbacks. I guess local library is still in the works - anybody know a true date? The update removed the ‘workaround’ to connect to the library I’d followed from master Jedi on here. Hugely disappointing this is still not fixed - not bothered about alarms, but definitely pissed I still can’t access my library and playlists. Thanks Sonos - stop emailing me about headphones.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@RB500 Local libraries have been supported by the new app since it was released, but some of the older connection methods have been dropped (and are not coming back). If you describe your setup someone may be able to point you in the right direction to get your library working again: where is your library stored, how did you previously connect it (there used to be 3 different methods), and what version of Sonos system firmware are you running? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

100 pages is in sight🤣

And I bet those 100 pages can be distilled down to five if you remove duplicate comments/complaints and their subsequent repeated discussions. You could knock out about ten pages just by removing the continual cut-and-pastes of the Sonos share price graphs that everyone thinks they are the first to post...

And I bet those 100 pages can be distilled down to five if you remove duplicate comments/complaints and their subsequent repeated discussions. You could knock out about ten pages just by removing the continual cut-and-pastes of the Sonos share price graphs that everyone thinks they are the first to post...

I would imagine a bunch of posts could be eliminated by testing IP’s for sock puppets. 

“And I bet those 100 pages can be distilled down to five”
And  what’s the implication? You think it’s all trolls?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

And what’s the implication?

Apologies if you have enjoyed every last page of this. I got to the end and found the narrative quite derivative. 

(What I meant was the same points/questions were repeated time and again, I don’t care who posted them.)