Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2469 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Give Sonos the middle finger, as they have us. Installed SonoPhone for iOS. I have a working play function with one-touch switching of stations. Sonos new upgrade with selecting your station, hitting the stupid play icon within and saying a little prayer to get the music playing is gone. Favorites are back in list view versus giant-friggin icon view and no redundant play button to use. Volume sliders work and have numbers on them. Also TuneIn radio works. Sonos letting a main service be completely down for two weeks is ridiculous.

Agreed.  I’ve bought SonoPad (same developer as SonoPhone) and it's the best £3.99 I’ve spent. It has found all my playlists and is a pleasure to use. Much to my surprise the ‘swipe right’ on the Ones still works (ie when listening to Radio Paradise and don't like the song you can still swipe right to jump to the next song) and the long press on the play button on a silent speaker still automatically connects it to whichever room is playing.

The radio implementation is also very snappy compared to any Sonos app ever  

We’ll still need the Sonos app for pairing, Trueplay, network music source etc (once it's fixed) but if your system was already set up before v80 trashed it, then SonoPad/SonoPhone could be the iOS app you're looking for. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CJH2007 

£3-99 you say? It was £2-99 last week and 1-99 before the app update 😜

least someone is gaining out of this 😊

Userlevel 3

SonoPhone has been a life saver. But wtf should consumers be having to spend money on a TP app just to access their own music which they could do perfectly well before this debacle?

Wouldn’t surprise me if their next step is to try to nerf it somehow.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@CJH2007

£3-99 you say? It was £2-99 last week and 1-99 before the app update 😜

least someone is gaining out of this 😊

Yes, I think it was 30% off recently as well, but at the time I was naively expecting Sonos to do the right thing 🙄.

The iPhone version is £2.99 and iPad £3.99. 

Developer deserves all the money we can give him for such a good app. I just hope Sonos don't buy him out and kill the app, or do something nefarious in a hardware update to block however he accesses the units. 

By the way, if anyone's bought either app could we all give him +ve feedback on the Apple app store to raise his profile? He's been offering the phone app for 12 years and the iPad app for three but only has 34/51 ratings respectively. The apps aren't going to please everyone but they are 100x better than the offering from the manufacturer, given the provisos in my previous comment. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Yes, I think it was 30% off recently as well, but at the time I was naively expecting Sonos to do the right thing 🙄.

Developer deserves all the money we can give him for such a good app. I just hope Sonos don't buy him out and kill the app, or do something nefarious in a hardware update to block however he accesses the units. 

By the way, if anyone's bought either app could we all give him +ve feedback on the Apple app store to raise his profile? He's been offering the phone app for 12 years and the iPad app for three but only has 34/51 ratings respectively. The apps aren't going to please everyone but they are 100x better than the offering from the manufacturer, given the provisos in my previous comment. 

Sonos has a public API so is totally fine with 3rd parties building apps that can control Sonos systems. https://docs.sonos.com/docs/control-sonos-players  

Hopefully more indie developers will build controller apps so there is more choice.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos has a public API so is totally fine with 3rd parties building apps that can control Sonos systems. https://docs.sonos.com/docs/control-sonos-players  

Hopefully more indie developers will build controller apps so there is more choice.

Thanks osm. I didn't know that. Makes me happier knowing it too!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This past weekend we had people over to our place for a patio bbq as we do often. Usually someone asks about our music system and I brag about the SONO’s system. Since the new app release, I have been so frustrated with how it doesn’t work and the cool features from the previous app have been removed. 

This weekend, it was so horrible. The volume would change on it’s own. Rooms would drop off the system, the i had to re-connect them so that all rooms would be playing. I spend more time explaining that the speakers are great but the app sucks and that SONO’s obviously doesn’t care. So frustrated. I know that they say they are going to be fixing it, but after the update to the new app, now i’m having other issues. I wish they would just bring back the previous version that worked and allowed us to customize our system and playlists and that worked. 

Userlevel 1

As an installer and user of sonos for its entire existence, I had trouble getting music playing in the proper zone while using the new app.  I had to refer to a tutorial to figure out how to navigate the system.  

It seems like sonos has lost sight of what it is.       Sonos is not a tool to axcess your music streaming service.   It is a multi zone distributed audio system.

my opinion is that axcess to your music should be secondary to managing your audio zones.

Ie:  first step, select your zones,    Second step, select your music.

my biggest complaint is:   There is no music axcess from a zone field….

ie:   If I go to my system,   Open up “family room”.   There is no direct axcess to my music.,….  I need to back out then select music.

zone management has degressed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes, even with the working S2 app (the “old” one) zone managements was not super easy. I have a relatively small system, but still I found getting music to play in the right zone was difficult for me. But at least when I reminded myself how to do it it worked!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yes, even with the working S2 app (the “old” one) zone managements was not super easy. I have a relatively small system, but still I found getting music to play in the right zone was difficult for me. But at least when I reminded myself how to do it it worked!

I never had this issue with the previous app. I found it easy working with zones on the last app and setting up different music within each zone. 

This new app is a mess, in my opinion, for working in zones and managing music. Also, drives me crazy how the volume adjusts it’s self on it’s own. Turning off sound in one room and raising volume in another on it’s own. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Ok - so here’s the truth. You know why Sonos forced this completely unusable app on us before it was even beta? It’s because of their friggin Sonos headphone release. There’s an integration there to use the Sonos app with the new headphones. So the ‘courage’ reply to everyone’s ‘WTH is this app’ was not truly courageous. It was so they could make MORE MONEY. Stiff the usability of thousand dollar soundbar home systems and all manner of portable speakers. We need to get this crappy app out to support our release of new SONOS HEADPHONES so we can make MORE MONEY. A good way to reply once more is to ban the purchase of any of these new headphones. I am thinking about placing this statement in every audio forum I can find. If they are not selling actual product, maybe they will get back to developing an app that actually works and has all the functionality of before with new features. An upgraded app should not be ‘downgraded’ in terms of functionality. Ban the purchase of SONOS products?! Anyone with me?!

Userlevel 1

This debacle continues, 40% of my system is now unusable since the update. Beam keeps dropping out, my Roam has just completely died, just showing a red light when charger plugged in now. I’ve just discovered my Library is no longer connected to my system and my Mac is not allowing me to re-install it, saying there is ‘sharing’ issues. There weren’t any issues prior to the update and all my music files are allowed to be shared on my Mac. Have Sonos withdrawn the new app, their Website only only has the S2 app?

I’m in correspondence with them to try and sort out, but no real attempted solutions other than the normal reboot, hold button type suggestions. I would be interested if anyone else has had their hardware fail like my Roam, as I would imagine I will ultimately get a Post Office Horizon type answer of ‘you’re the only one’ when I try to get them to replace it! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

This debacle continues, 40% of my system is now unusable since the update. Beam keeps dropping out, my Roam has just completely died, just showing a red light when charger plugged in now. I’ve just discovered my Library is no longer connected to my system and my Mac is not allowing me to re-install it, saying there is ‘sharing’ issues. There weren’t any issues prior to the update and all my music files are allowed to be shared on my Mac. Have Sonos withdrawn the new app, their Website only only has the S2 app?

I’m in correspondence with them to try and sort out, but no real attempted solutions other than the normal reboot, hold button type suggestions. I would be interested if anyone else has had their hardware fail like my Roam, as I would imagine I will ultimately get a Post Office Horizon type answer of ‘you’re the only one’ when I try to get them to replace it! 

Try the SonosPhone or SonosPad app.

Userlevel 1

I’m a bit of a technophobe, if I buy the App do I have to buy it for each device I run my system off, I.e. phone and pad? Does it replace the Sonos app completely and does it have the same functionality as the Sonos App, i.e you can add your music services and library etc. Don’t suppose it will allow an S1 product to be re-connected to the system as I currently have a Play 5 acting as a doorstop since the S2 upgrade! 

Userlevel 1

Your recipe is your customers interface.   Your success is your customers experience.  You just changed all the ingredients.

all you had to do, was nothing at all….

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m finding the same issue with my system. My app changes the volumes on it’s own. The speakers drop off them connect again. Have never had these issues. I’ve been told it’s my WiFi (even though it’s never happened before and my signal is strong. Cannot edit my playlists and they disappear then show up again. I have been a HUGE SONO’s fan for a while now, and having a hard time understanding why a company would do this to their customers. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

You have a Platinum AMEX??? wow….

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m a bit of a technophobe, if I buy the App do I have to buy it for each device I run my system off, I.e. phone and pad? Does it replace the Sonos app completely and does it have the same functionality as the Sonos App, i.e you can add your music services and library etc. Don’t suppose it will allow an S1 product to be re-connected to the system as I currently have a Play 5 acting as a doorstop since the S2 upgrade! 

Hi Joe,

Yes there's an app for each, but I’d guess the phone app would work on the iPad in portrait mode like most others do that aren't iPad-specific. It has family sharing, ie buy once can use on up to six (I think) family devices.

If your system was working fine before the v80 app, Sonopad (and Sonophone I’d guess but I don't have that) just asks permission to look on your local network, no setting up required.

It can't add a music library or set up pairs etc but if they're already done ie your system was fine before the v80 Sonos disaster then it will find the music library, as I understand that's stored in the speakers. As are all your playlists (well, mine were).

It also says it works with S1 and S2 boxes - the App Store description tells all.

You don't need the Sonos app running to run Sonopad/Sonophone. See my earlier posts as well.

Give it a minute or two to find everything and off you go! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

How long will it be before somebody turns up in this thread banging on about alarms (again and again and ag......)? 

How about some constructive feedback and criticism? 😊

They could use Alexa  on the echo dot to wake them up.. 🤣

or the phone that’s charging by the bed 18 inches from the head.

there are alternative for all that sonos does. Are you saying it’s ok to loose functionality that you paid for and you like to use? Why do you think that is ok or funny?

it’s not funny -- but using a $5000 system (for me) and losing my 60k song collection is higher on my list of disappointments and customer regrets losing an alarm clock functionality that comes up in EVERY thread.

I don’t use any streaming services except radio paradise and frankly i’m afraid of losing that also.

local music library is why I purchased Sonos 13 years ago in the first place, not as an alarm clock.

Hello,

I also miss the step 30 seconds ahead or 15 seconds back features.

Obiously :

– adding a song to a playlist

– setting an alarm or sleep timer

– editing a playlist, and features that have disappeared,

I also miss.

😞

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have truly never experienced such an awful ‘upgrade’. It’s like we went from 2024 to 2004. 

• Core functionality of App is buggy
    • Non responsive
    • Speakers that shouldn’t be playing…are. 
    • Very slow volume control
  • I can’t access tools that were very easy to find
    • Tap slider and control volume for a room. Gone.
    • Tap slider for access to room parameters. Gone
  • Unintuitive: It takes me forever to change music sources. 

I can’t for the life of me figure out why you degraded this app so drastically. Who is in charge? How can a company miscalculate so catastrophically? Who tested? What are the benefits???

I would never have adopted these products if this was the initial product.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

GO BOSE

Userlevel 1

I can not listen to thé national radios in France ? Is it normal ? I first had to have to listen to ads (which is just s andalous by thé way) 6 month ago  but now with the New app i do not Even have access to radio !!! Are you going to fix it ? 
Your new app is so bad. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

I'm a developer and I just don't understand how did you manage your new app publication with so many functionality regressions.

You should have waited to finish implementing the most essential elements before releasing your new version. I have a feeling something weird was going on under the hood with the dev team that you didn't tell us.

Anyway, I reinstalled the old app with aptoide and I advise all unhappy users to do the same.

Good luck to the devs for the * they're going to face, certainly because of management decisions that went wrong somewhere.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Can you detail how to revert to old version? Thanks!