Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2469 replies

Userlevel 2

Please let us have the option to reinstall the previous app until this mess is sorted!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Maybe they did something in the background. Before tomorrow's release of the fabulous headphones I wanted to move a speaker from our office system to the home system. This time, the legacy (16.x) Android app asked me to do funny things, which I didn't dare to do. Whereas the setup with the new app worked fine without any hiccup...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Actually, the Q&A department of Sonos should be FIRED. This app should never have been released. Had Sonos for years (since 2008) and spent a lot of money on new speakers earlier this year as needed to be compatible with sonos 2 app (already very annoying). Now even my new speakers are completely unusable !!

this is outrageous.

at least allow us to download back Sonos 2. This would allow us to use the products.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Please let us have the option to reinstall the previous app until this mess is sorted!

That’s all we ask for now

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Got an email from Sonos entitled “Heads up” today - presumably they are releasing their new headphones on 21st May at 14.00 BST (in the UK). Clicking on the “Learn more” link doesn’t add much info, but leads to this advert page

Link page

Never mind the main content, a banner at the top of the page proclaims:

“The Sonos app is redesigned and better than ever. Get the latest update now.”

Seriously? The new app is the reason I’ll be boycotting their headphones!

Thank goodness for SonoPhone - not very pretty but at least it works!

Userlevel 2
Badge

What is SonoPhone? Cannot find it on my Google App Store 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

CHALK & CHEESE

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Only on iOS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It's an Apple thing! 🍏😊

Dear Sonos

Like many others, I am very disappointed with the new app. An update like this could have so much potential and you have really given it away, even worse - you have massively worsened the existing situation.

• Important functions are missing from the app.
  • The UI and therefore the UX is very bad
  • It is obvious that you have not gone through the proper product development process
  • To summarize: you have done a really bad job and I hope you are all ashamed of it

We as end users don't care about the reasons. If you don't have the right know-how in your company, go out there and hire it. If it's because your other business objectives (releasing new products etc.) were not matching with the current development status of app, the problem lies with management. A management that wants to push through deadlines at the expense of the current service and quality should be replaced - because in the long term this will be the end of Sonos.

The fact is: You need help, you have proven that you are not capable yourselves, let us help you.

Create surveys for your most loyal users, I bet you have a lot users who are UI designers, UX designers, developers etc., listen to them. Do us, the community, but also yourselves this favor. 

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the app or something?  Nothing works anymore, Amazon Music is unplayable with errors.  Other apps are slow to react or don't at all.  Roll this back, fix it, whatever.  I just joined the Sonos experience a few months ago and this is so frustrating it's making me regret all the money I spent.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sonos App says there's a system update available. My Wife is already sick of my constant attempts to fix this garbage app. The last thing i need is to add a flawed system update. I was stupid enough to select sonos over Bose but not stupid enough to attempt to update the hardware.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the app or something?  Nothing works anymore, Amazon Music is unplayable with errors.  Other apps are slow to react or don't at all.  Roll this back, fix it, whatever.  I just joined the Sonos experience a few months ago and this is so frustrating it's making me regret all the money I spent.

Uninstalling and reinstall is worth a shot. I mean it won’t fix everything but might resolve the AM thing. The app is a buggy POS only Sonos can fix that. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all...

@Corry P @Jamie A  @Sotiris C.  

It would be helpful if you could explain, from a technological/backend resources standpoint, why Sonos has never offered reverting to the previous app instance when an update is problematic.

You folks have gone through several major updates, with significant issues. Yet, have never offered reverting back. And, don’t offer reverting back as a regular option.

Just think in terms of how many less resources it would take in crisis management if you offered this. It would chill 95% of the criticism out you are spending time dealing with here.

“Hey, we blew it again. On June X we’ll have it fixed. In the meantime, you can revert back to 16.1, firmware xyz.”

Presto, immediate problem solved. 

Instead, you’ve got a community thread the size of the Western Civ. literature canon to deal with here, and you continue your legacy of building, a now cemented, ill-will with customers when it comes to your software, despite I’m sure the best of intentions.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Uninstall the current app. Get the old app (16.1) from apkmirror and install that. Turn off auto updates from Sonos settings and on Google Play or their equivalents if you have iOS. Everything should work fine. 

The new app will never be right because they have shifted infrastructure to the web for a LAN/WiFi system. So the new app relies on web API services for everything. Lose the internet and nothing will work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Uninstall the current app. Get the old app (16.1) from apkmirror and install that. Turn off auto updates from Sonos settings and on Google Play or their equivalents if you have iOS. Everything should work fine. 

The new app will never be right because they have shifted infrastructure to the web for a LAN/WiFi system. So the new app relies on web API services for everything. Lose the internet and nothing will work. 

Unless you have a iPhone in which case you're out of luck. Apple is among the least ethical companies out there.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

F U B A R, Don’t even know where to begin

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Where is the Sonos Board of Directors? It's their responsibility to protect shareholders. We should start blasting them with mail.

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

SONOS laid a TURD of an App update.

Userlevel 1

As I speak I've tried to view my queue but the queue won't load. And then the speaker I'm listening to has disappeared from the list 

It's also playing in shuffle mode when the shuffle button wasn't selected. 

And it's started playing music on a speaker in another room at maximum volume. Maybe that was me somehow pressing the wrong button by mistake but seriously how did this app get agreed?

Right - I am having the same issues… the #1 issue seems to be (esp on Android) the loss of connectivity and random play/pause/switch speaker… the moderators did not acknowledge these basic issues which I would think would be higher priority than some of the less common use cases.  

Just pull up the app with 3-4 speakers and try it for an hour - it will be completely flaky and unusable

Userlevel 1

Sonos updates have been notoriously buggy in the past and this one takes the cake. I use Sonos almost exclusively for an exhaustively large local music file. This update destroyed that link, and turned my Sonos system into a houseful of bricks. Personally, I barely give a rats-a$$ about streaming a dozen different pay-to-play service through super expensive speakers. And this update effectively eliminated my music from available options. Impressive. Getting the real feeling that since there isn’t a slice of subscription fees to be shared then there’s no reason to support local file play.

Userlevel 1

New update is soo bad I’m considering getting it off Sonos all together, after 9 yrs and over 15 different products. It’s that bad, whoever approved this app should be unemployed. It takes about 3 seconds of using the new app to see how much of step back it is. Super disappointed in a company I’ve loved, recommend and loyal to for yrs

Hi,

I'm a developer and I just don't understand how did you manage your new app publication with so many functionality regressions.

You should have waited to finish implementing the most essential elements before releasing your new version. I have a feeling something weird was going on under the hood with the dev team that you didn't tell us.

Anyway, I reinstalled the old app with aptoide and I advise all unhappy users to do the same.

Good luck to the devs for the * they're going to face, certainly because of management decisions that went wrong somewhere.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Don’t understand why this has been released. Shocking behaviour!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I guess there were technical reasons for why the new App could not be released as a ‘preview (beta) app’ alongside the S2 App - it’s quite disappointing though that that was not considered in the early days of development in case there were development delays. There was no clear ‘plan B’.

This is quite questionable since a significant number of users have rolled back to the previous version of the app, without specific issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Oops - fumble fingered that one. Anyway - There is no technical reason at all why the new controller could not have been released as a new app. Yes, there are technical reasons you can’t have two different versions if the app in the apple app store at the same time, But you can have as many different apps as you want.

Someone at Sonos thought they could update this thing in the sly and that it would be ok. Unfortunately, they were very, very wrong about this.

Also - roll back is great advice. But it isn’t possible on ios, is it?