Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2469 replies

I agree with a previous poster that it has become the norm now for average customers to be used as beta testers under the guise of “app update”.  True as that is, I didn't purchase a premium product to be provided an update that amounts to a draft version of the app.  Things I've noticed in my brief experience with it (I'm using other apps to cast to Sonos at this point specifically to avoid the app):

• Needing to hide the Recently Played section every time I open the home screen is bad enough, but it takes me 2-3 taps for it to actually hide.  I don't even have that part turned on - that should hidden by default.  And while I'm on it, stop pushing me to turn it on.  
  • The home screen icons are so large there is only limited information available on the screen at a given time.  Collapsible sections might have been a better choice.  
  • Why is the search box not integrated into the home screen, but instead made to float over it, taking up valuable real estate?  
  • The services list on the home screen should have names under the icons.  I recognize my most frequent, but those I don't use often or that have recently changed their logo become mystery items.  Needing to go into “Manage” to view them with their names is no different than having them on a separate tab like in the previous app.  
  • If I can select my preferred service to appear first, why can't I order the whole list?  I have 3 or 4 I use all the time, but I can only prioritize one?  
  • What happened to the mute functionality?  I used to be able to tap the icon to the left of the volume slider to mute.  Perfect for when the phone rings, doorbell rings, I need to listen for the baby crying, or hop on a conference call.  Now I need to fully slide the volume all the way down.  Already I have answered phone calls too quickly, expecting my one tap would mute as before and, well, it doesn't.  
  • Android notification panel controls are missing. I used to at least be able to adjust volume, mute or skip tracks from the notification panel.  Now I need to fully open the app.  I could use widgets instead….but they're not here either.  
  • Along those lines, the general app preference “Show Notifications” I thought would allow the controls, but since it doesn't, what does it do?    
  • I use the alarm function to play white noise for a set number of hours each night, to wake up in the morning, allot time for workouts, kids activities, etc.  These alarms are still active, but I have no way to adjust or turn them off without reinstalling the older app or using the PC app.  

Echoing others here, removing existing functionality and streamlining are two different things.  Does anyone working on or approving changes to this app actually use it?  Sure doesn't seem like it. 

In short, I should never be provided with an “update” that does less than the current one; that's a downgrade.  If you're phasing out certain functionality, it should be done over time and with proper communication to your customers.  Telling me features I've been using will be reintroduced “soon” is meaningless. 

I've been a fan of Sonos for a long time, owning several early generation products.  I had plans to upgrade those and add additional to my system in the next 6-12 months, but I think its time to re-evaluate.  As the saying goes, trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

getting back the ability to play from a local library is critical to me. I’ve been using Sonos for about 12 years and I like it. It’s true it’s gotten a little worse over the years as new features seem to be more important that basic playback and queue manipulation. These are why I got Sonos in the first place. If this actually goes away…. I don’t know what I will do. I guess look at something else. 

I’m with you. Music was/is Sono’s wheelhouse and, addressing “local library” issues was bullet #5 of 6 in their list of fixes - and not until mid-June.  I just don’t get it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Oops - fumble fingered that one. Anyway - There is no technical reason at all why the new controller could not have been released as a new app. Yes, there are technical reasons you can’t have two different versions if the app in the apple app store at the same time, But you can have as many different apps as you want.

Someone at Sonos thought they could update this thing in the sly and that it would be ok. Unfortunately, they were very, very wrong about this.

Also - roll back is great advice. But it isn’t possible on ios, is it?

I don’t believe there is a rollback solution on our iPhones (iOS).  I was able to reinstall S2 thanks for Ken’s download link but, when I tried to play my visible music library selections, I was denied access. Whatever has been installed previously, either from the iPhone app or one of my desktop controllers, it’s currently affecting my entire Sonos environment.

This app update is not intuitive and lacks a number of standard design features.  

…..the way to set volume and the try and go back and change a song or station is horrible.  Was this beta tested with users ? I've been on the Sonos platform since day in over 4 different house configurations. 

cmon guys get a intuitive designer in here quick.  

wow. 0 stars. 

True play tuning is not working. And a host of other bugs. I never do forums like this but I want it known how angry I am at my expensive system not working anymore due to poor software development. I hope Sonos actually reads the IOS app reviews and sees this is a crisis and you have damaged your brand beyond measure. Your CEO needs to resign and get someone that knows how to run a network of loyal buyers/users. This is absolutely amateur hour and not what I expect for the premium I’ve paid for each piece of my system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Sonos updates have been notoriously buggy in the past and this one takes the cake. I use Sonos almost exclusively for an exhaustively large local music file. This update destroyed that link, and turned my Sonos system into a houseful of bricks. Personally, I barely give a rats-a$$ about streaming a dozen different pay-to-play service through super expensive speakers. And this update effectively eliminated my music from available options. Impressive. Getting the real feeling that since there isn’t a slice of subscription fees to be shared then there’s no reason to support local file play.

I’m with skulltoons entirely. I don’t pay for streaming services and had, so I thought, a simple method of playing my music by transferring my CDs to a music library folder. A perfect closed system that worked for me. Now, for security sake, they’ve abandon SMB drives (I learned what they were after the fact) so that we can got to a Web App??  How is THAT more secure than my USB SSD drive configuration?

Userlevel 1

My services are not working, particularly my apple music.

Hi... I have Sonos speakers throughout my house for some time. But this new app... has been an absolute terrible and frustrating experience…

I use it a lot on my Samsung S22 phone... how do I revert to the previous version... or other compatible players?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I find all the official response disingenuous and thick-headed.  None of us care about how soon the “new app” is going to be fixed. We don’t care.  Could not care less.  

The old app works.  Simple solution: bring the old app back until the new one gets sorted out.  How is this so hard to comprehend?  Pull this failed release and revert back to the working app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

So, if you are on an iPhone and have accidently updated to this pos-ware, then the SonoPhone app from the App store is the easiest way out this mess at the moment.  It’s $2.99 - and Sonos should be buying it for all of us. But while I wait for hell to freeze over, I’m forking out the $3 myself and moving on.  Fortunately, I didn’t update my iPad, so I don’t have to also pay for the SonoPad app.

SonoPhone has some limitations too - and they are HONESTLY spelled out (unlike some apps!), so you know before you install if you can live with them.

Lucky for Android users, there’s apparently a way to rollback and if Sonos weren’t absolute tools, they’d make a rollback for iOS available, but they obstinately choose not to.  This is still unfathomable to me - why why why why why no rollback from this half-baked app?

I said it when they pulled that S1/S2 debacle, that I was done with Sonos.  And like a moron, I hung in there.  But this time, I’m done.  I have 12 components and I don’t know how long it will take them to die - a good while, but there will be no more new purchases of their products.  Sonos has zero regard for customers and they make stupid decisions.  When enough of my stuff dies, I’ll sell the rest and look at other alternatives.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So, if you are on an iPhone and have accidently updated to this pos-ware, then the SonoPhone app from the App store is the easiest way out this mess at the moment.  It’s $2.99 - and Sonos should be buying it for all of us. But while I wait for hell to freeze over, I’m forking out the $3 myself and moving on.  Fortunately, I didn’t update my iPad, so I don’t have to also pay for the SonoPad app.

SonoPhone has some limitations too - and they are HONESTLY spelled out (unlike some apps!), so you know before you install if you can live with them.

Lucky for Android users, there’s apparently a way to rollback and if Sonos weren’t absolute tools, they’d make a rollback for iOS available, but they obstinately choose not to.  This is still unfathomable to me - why why why why why no rollback from this half-baked app?

I said it when they pulled that S1/S2 debacle, that I was done with Sonos.  And like a moron, I hung in there.  But this time, I’m done.  I have 12 components and I don’t know how long it will take them to die - a good while, but there will be no more new purchases of their products.  Sonos has zero regard for customers and they make stupid decisions.  When enough of my stuff dies, I’ll sell the rest and look at other alternatives.

Compare what Logitech did when they withdrew from the audio streaming market over 10 years ago.  They maintained an online cloud server without any charges until this year.  They also released the support software as open source which has flourished and expanded since by a very active community of users, enthusiasts and developers. LYRION LIVES! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

How long will it be before somebody turns up in this thread banging on about alarms (again and again and ag......)? 

How about some constructive feedback and criticism? 😊

They could use Alexa  on the echo dot to wake them up.. 🤣

or the phone that’s charging by the bed 18 inches from the head.

How did you take such a substantial step backwards? Did you plan it this way? Maybe your plan was for it to suck? If so, then you executed that plan flawlessly. 

You either pay your developers * or you pissed them all off. I’m not sure which. 

At some point, it will probably be wonderful again. Until then, add this comment to the “it sucks” pile.   

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

How long will it be before somebody turns up in this thread banging on about alarms (again and again and ag......)? 

How about some constructive feedback and criticism? 😊

They could use Alexa  on the echo dot to wake them up.. 🤣

or the phone that’s charging by the bed 18 inches from the head.

there are alternative for all that sonos does. Are you saying it’s ok to loose functionality that you paid for and you like to use? Why do you think that is ok or funny?

As an IT manager and developer, I’m just dumbfounded that Sonos would release this update in its current state.

Do you have a testing and change management process?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Paying huge bucks for a musical alarm clock is somewhat comical ⏰😂

Userlevel 1

SONOS, please tell me you’re reading the tidal wave of negative responses to the new app.  Did you even roll it out to a test audience?  I have not read one positive feedback message about this new app; I don’t have anything good to say about it.  You should tuck your tails between your legs, apologize and fix all the mess you’ve made.  How was “it if ain’t broke don’t fix it” never asked?  This is a move that will be brand-loyalty breaking for me. I love SONOS and have many of your products, but there are other players in the market and if you’re going to make it harder for me I’m going to move along to companies that care about my business.

Userlevel 2

A 1.1 rating on the Android App gives the answer, 

It's not fit for purpose and causes huge frustration.So much is wrong 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Considering they've all gone to ground, I think it's pretty clear that Sonos doesn't care - they're focussing on being courageous and energised, and preparing their headphones launch for later tonight (my time).  We'll wait weeks/months and maybe the new app will then be as useful as the old app, and they'll wait for this to all blow over.

Userlevel 3

This went well…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Everytime i charge my tablet the new app appears. Bloody annoying as it's a joke of an update. Luckily I can roll it back to the old app which had limited functionality. Even at that it is Mike's better than the new junk app. My local seller had been inundated with unhappy customers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Someone above posted this: “So am I the only one who read this about local music libraries, which is the point in question here (see below) - this was widely discussed here in the community too… I had notifications/emails as well, long before the new App was released.”

I got THE single email on May 2nd that in part reads:

We want to let you know that in the upcoming months, Sonos will no longer support streaming audio files from HTTP and SMB1 local music libraries on S2 products.”

Later in that same email:

“Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network attached storage drive, to your Sonos system. This article will show you how to add your music library using the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.”

Honestly, when I received this, I read the entire thing. I also honestly didn’t think I had an SMB1 local music library because I had no stinking idea what SMB was.  I was ignorantly blissful and figured that whatever was going to happen wasn’t going to effect my simple little setup. I know that I’m not alone in my assumptions.

My Mum aged 83 has just lost connection from her Play 1 to USB stick of all her classical CD’s MP3 encoded onto a USB stick inserted to the house Internet router. How do I explain SMBv1 and why it no longer works to her ……

She is not interested in security, robustness etc, just wants to play her classical music collection, which currently is no longer possible….

Well...if you are in the UK and products and are less than a year old it is up to the retailer to repair/fix. My brother took my Mums two Sonos speakers (not sure models, ERA 100 ?), about 9 months old, back to John Lewis, told them they no longer work and got a refund (eventually).

They did seem to know there were major issues with Sonos which is why they didn’t argue with the refund despite initially wanting to take them back to get them “repaired”.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It’s frankly unforgivable that major functionality (e.g. alarms or queue management) was simply omitted from an update that cannot be rolled back. Doing so willingly broke the music playback experience of millions (!) of customers. Why let us all use what’s essentially a development build? 

This has put my future with the system in serious doubt. 

Userlevel 3

Sonos answer should have been simple and fast: re-telease the previous version under another name in the app store. Please do consider your customer over your financials…

Userlevel 4
Badge

Give Sonos the middle finger, as they have us. Installed SonoPhone for iOS. I have a working play function with one-touch switching of stations. Sonos new upgrade with selecting your station, hitting the stupid play icon within and saying a little prayer to get the music playing is gone. Favorites are back in list view versus giant-friggin icon view and no redundant play button to use. Volume sliders work and have numbers on them. Also TuneIn radio works. Sonos letting a main service be completely down for two weeks is ridiculous.