Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

I completely agree and there is evidence for this as the screenshots and documentation released shows the completed App screens and some of the features that are missing - here is just one quick example of it….

There’s dozens of bugs. You are being way to generous to Sonos framing this as an oopsie they didn’t see coming. 

I’m not sure what happened (obviously), but it seems clear the accompanying App documentation had been completed in time for the launch date - no idea what happened in terms of the actual development delay, or why the ‘green light’ was given to launch. That’s down to Sonos Management presumably.

…but it is what it is now.

I know that many are posting/complaining about the App. However, I don’t see Sonos stepping back now (just a personal point of view). I can only imagine Sonos will crack on and get the development work done, hopefully as quickly as they can and put the missing features in place that are shown in their documentation.

Meanwhile, I’m just continuing to familiarise myself with the new App and waiting for the features to appear in any coming updates.

I imagine Sonos will prioritise the accessibility ‘voice over’ features and Alarms, both of which have no bearing on my own use of the App so I’m guessing it maybe some weeks/months before I see some of the missing features that I use, but I’m a patient-sort anyway and see more important things in the world to really worry about.

Intermittent cover art in iOS for me in music services. No local library cover art. Music library source list comes and goes, requires a force close. 

So many bugs. 

I’m not seeing/noticing the display issue on my iOS Controller devices, but clearly the suggestion is to perhaps submit a diagnostic and let Sonos know, at least at some point, so that these things can hopefully get fixed for you. I tend to report any bugs I may encounter, from time to time, that’s if it’s not clear if Sonos are perhaps aware of them.

I completely agree and there is evidence for this as the screenshots and documentation released shows the completed App screens and some of the features that are missing - here is just one quick example of it….

There’s dozens of bugs. You are being way to generous to Sonos framing this as an oopsie they didn’t see coming. 

I’m not sure what happened (obviously), but it seems clear the accompanying App documentation had been completed in time for the launch date - no idea what happened in terms of the actual development delay, or why the ‘green light’ was given to launch. That’s down to Sonos Management presumably.

I know that many are posting/complaining about the App. However, I don’t see Sonos stepping back now (just a personal point of view). I can only imagine Sonos will crack on and get the development work done, hopefully as quickly as they can and put the missing features in place that are shown in their documentation.

Meanwhile, I’m just continuing to familiarise myself with the new App and waiting for the features to appear in any coming updates.

I imagine Sonos will prioritise the accessibility ‘voice over’ features and Alarms, both of which have no bearing on my own use of the App so I’m guessing it maybe some weeks/months before I see some of the missing features that I use, but I’m a patient-sort anyway and see more important things in the world to really worry about.

From the Sonos email prior to the release, maybe they should have taken 30 seconds to edit this despite it being finished  

How will this affect my system?

We've taken great care to ensure that this update only enhances your Sonos experience. Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved.

Yeah you’ve mentioned you are very patient with Sonos. Me too I’m constantly thanking them and asking for another. I agree there are other things to worry about, I’m not worried about this more just generally annoyed  

Generally I don’t mind the new app, but think that it needed a bit more time in beta before being released. The problems I have are:

• Quite a lot of albums from my Music Library on the NAS won’t play, this mainly happens on compilation albums but does happen on single artist ones too. If you try and play a track it will either not play or play the next track in the current playing album.
  • When you search it doesn’t search the Music Library, only the online services.
  • The number setting for the volume has disappeared.

Unable to play albums from folder view and can only play 1 song at a time…..put old version of app back in the App Store please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course there are more important issues.  Not the point. If you use Sonos to play music from your local library it is unusable.  All cover art, playlists, ability to add music to the queue are all gone.  That’s in addition to no system found and something went wrong anytime I open it. Maybe it’s not that bad if all you do is stream Pandora. I can’t speak to that, I just don’t use mine that way.  Their statement that all the function you have and all your settings will still be there is false.  Had they been honest I would have chosen to delay the upgrade. Every thing that is broken worked May 6th.

Am I naive in expecting after all of these comments and slagging off of Sonos that it's about time they issued a firm controlled response showing a very clear and detailed way forward to recover the situation and any advances. With Timescales that they keep to

That response should be issued properly besides here but directly to all registered users.

I was aware that the new app was coming, and intended to try it on a less-used device before committing to it on my main iPad. 

I have auto-updates turned OFF on all the devices (App store) and had it turned OFF in the then-Sonos app. 

On all three devices the update was pushed out by Sonos regardless of my settings, so I had no option to choose.

I’ve been forced to use this buggy, neutered app with no choice to revert to the previous version.

Shame on you Sonos.

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Mooi verhaal, de reacties hier zijn overweldigend.

Ook bij mij problemen. Moest 2 speakers opnieuw installeren (sub en Playbar).

Het toevoegen aan het systeem lukte wel, maar het registreren in mijn account lukt niet.

speakers zijn zolang onbruikbaar. Ze zijn ook al in mijn account geregistreerd, dus logisch dat hij een foutmelding geeft.

zit nu al 70 minuten in de wacht aan de telefoon.

wellicht iets te vroeg de (nogal kale) app gelanceerd?

hopen dat het snel goed komt met dit product.

gr Mark 

NO SUPPORT!

NO INFORMATION!

I CREATED EKOSYSTEM WHICH I USELESS!

My favorite polish radio stations are not supported anymore (357, radio nowy swiat), why?

No alarm

No timer

EXTREMLY NOT USER FROENDLY APP!

GIVE MY MONEY BACK!

Of course there are more important issues.  Not the point. If you use Sonos to play music from your local library it is unusable.  All cover art, playlists, ability to add music to the queue are all gone.  That’s in addition to no system found and something went wrong anytime I open it. Maybe it’s not that badd if all you do is stream Pandora. I can’t speak to that, I just don’t use mine that way.  Their statement that all the function you have and all your settings will still be there is false.  Had they been honest I would have chosen to delay the upgrade. Every thing that is broken worked May 6th.

🤣 Pandora is also broken for some people, as is Live Phish, Nuggs, CBC, Apple Music authorizations and probably many more. Attempts to whitewash this as NBD or just a little mistake are frankly ridiculous. There’s dozens of bugs and Sonos didn’t bother to warn, indeed they misrepresented the update. 

Of course there are more important issues.  Not the point. If you use Sonos to play music from your local library it is unusable.  All cover art, playlists, ability to add music to the queue are all gone.  That’s in addition to no system found and something went wrong anytime I open it. Maybe it’s not that badd if all you do is stream Pandora. I can’t speak to that, I just don’t use mine that way.  Their statement that all the function you have and all your settings will still be there is false.  Had they been honest I would have chosen to delay the upgrade. Every thing that is broken worked May 6th.

I just want to ‘politely’ clarify the things discussed, as some points mentioned here are not correct.

• I do use Sonos to play my local library tracks and they do play in the new App from my NAS shared library (SMB 2/3 protocols are used). Tracks so far tested are all playing fine here.
  • The cover Art is working fine for me too - I both embed my 600x600px cover art in each track and use a folder.jpg in the album folders to cater for every type of player/client.
  • I have plenty of .m3u playlists - all self created over many months/years. I do not use the usual .m3u extensions in my own playlists and track-paths are full UNC… these playlists all appear to work in the new App. I’ve not tested every one, but I have an "all library" playlist of 25,600+ tracks and was able to load/play that playlist. The one error/issue I did see here however, is that the room queue shows as ‘empty’, but the playlist still works so thats likely an App display issue. Sonos have said that they will fix these queue issues.
  • The ability to add to the queue is one of the ‘missing features’ widely mentioned - there are the options though to either play to speaker/group, or to replace the queue - I’m fine with those options, at least until the missing features are restored, which Sonos have said they will do. See here;

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates-6892942?postid=16723302#post16723302

• I’m not seeing “no system found” that sounds like an SDDP ‘multicast’ discovery issue or delay relating to the local network and/or the controller App. This is something to resolve yourself, perhaps with the help of Sonos Support. 
  • I have seen the occasional “Something went wrong” issue - this was whilst trying to play a podcast from Apple or Amazon MSP (I forget which). 

So that’s some of the things I’m seeing with the new App

I had literally NO major complaints with the prior version of the iOS app - it was working beautifully with over a dozen devices on my home network.

The new iOS app rollout is a solution in search of a problem.  Why?  The thread of complaints is so long, I do not have the time to review and see if the issues I’ve observed have already been called out.

The major things I’m missing are the severely crippled integrations with my local music library, which seem to have been pointed out at length by others already, along with another complaint relating to Tidal, and one with Pocket Casts.

I’ve spent a lot of time “favoriting” a long list of Tidal tracks, and used to enjoy choosing a speaker or set of speakers, selecting “Tidal” then “Tracks” and simply playing randomly from a list of my favorite music, independent of any playlists or albums.  Now, this is not even possible with the new app.  When I choose “Tidal” then “My Collection” then “Tracks” with the new app, I’m unable to play more than just one song at a time.  Not cool.

On Pocket Casts, you can no longer skip forward or skip back during playback.  Pretty basic stuff here, right??  Good thing Apple AirPlay works with Pocket Casts to fill in the functionality you’ve broken.  I guess I’ll just use their app instead.

Thank goodness the desktop Sonos app remains untouched (at least for now) and still works for these features and retains the functionality it’s always had.  Please don’t touch it.  I certainly will not be downloading any updates offered.

How many complaints do you need to receive before rolling back to the previous version of the iOS app?

My favourite feature of the new app 🤦‍♀️ at

least they give the oh so helpful error message “something went wrong” couldn’t figure that out without it  

This roll-out of the new app has been bad.  I had no issues with the old app as many have said.  I believe that it is safe to assume that Sonos is looking to leverage future earnings through services delivered through the new app.  Fine.

But, in the meantime, there are many customers who love your products and want them to work as they used to.  I would like:

• access to my NAS not to be spotty.  I have to continually relaunch the app hoping that Music Library appears
  • I would like to key word search my Music Library as I was able to in the past
  • I would like to fast scroll my Music Library as I was able to in the past
  • I would like my Arc system to be seamless as it was in the past.  ie, when I turn the TV on, tv audio is initiated automatically.

My attraction to Sonos are two key features (with associated benefits):

• Speakers (sound great)
  • your app with associated connectivity (convenience)

This new update has significantly reduced the convenience of this product and Bluesound and countless other manufactures want your market share.   Please roll back the app until you have this fixed.  

I just want to ‘politely’ clarify the things discussed, as some points mentioned here are not correct.

• I do use Sonos to play my local library tracks and they do play in the new App from my NAS shared library (SMB 2/3 protocols are used). Tracks so far tested are all playing fine here.
  • The cover Art is working fine for me too - I both embed my 600x600px cover art in each track and use a folder.jpg in the album folders to cater for every type of player/client.
  • I have plenty of .m3u playlists - all self created over many months/years. I do not use the usual .m3u extensions in my own playlists and track-paths are full UNC… these playlists all appear to work in the new App. I’ve not tested every one, but I have an "all library" playlist of 25,600+ tracks and was able to load/play that playlist. The one error/issue I did see here however, is that the room queue shows as ‘empty’, but the playlist still works so thats likely an App display issue. Sonos have said that they will fix these queue issues.
  • The ability to add to the queue is one of the ‘missing features’ widely mentioned - there are the options though to either play to speaker/group, or to replace the queue - I’m fine with those options, at least until the missing features are restored, which Sonos have said they will do. See here;

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates-6892942?postid=16723302#post16723302

• I’m not seeing “no system found” that sounds like an SDDP ‘multicast’ discovery issue or delay relating to the local network and/or the controller App. This is something to resolve yourself, perhaps with the help of Sonos Support. 
  • I have seen the occasional “Something went wrong” issue - this was whilst trying to play a podcast from Apple or Amazon MSP (I forget which). 

So that’s some of the things I’m seeing with the new App

Thank you for clarifying. I will clarify my errors below

Regarding the queue, I can add a song, an album or all albums from an artist to the queue and play it.  Beyond that you can’t add anything else to it.

Regarding my playlists, All my playlists were created in the Sonos app.  Not really sure what file format they are nor did I ever need to care about that before.  It worked a week ago. Also, My playlists are still listed. Once I find the playlists there are no songs contained in them

Every album I have has the cover art in the folder with the album and has always worked.

Of course I am only speaking about my own system.  I’m happy for others that aren’t having an issue.  My reference to Pandora is simply that it has become clear that Sonos is focusing on people that want to stream.  It’s also become clear to me that I am not alone having an issue playing from a local library.

Yes, I saw the post from Sonos telling us they have a planned future release that will add the functionality of using the queue.  I really don’t see how that is a positive unless the bar to measure it by is that they aren’t getting rid of it completely.  That release may not come, may get delayed for how long? May be a terrible glitchy mess.  

The something went wrong and no system found weren’t an issue prior to May 7th.  Not sure why I should conclude the issue is unrelated to the update from that day.

I had literally NO major complaints with the prior version of the iOS app - it was working beautifully with over a dozen devices on my home network.

I never had any complaints about the S2 App either, but many users have moaned about the Sonos software in the past, both here and elsewhere online and I guess they viewed it as ‘dated’. It’s been around a while and I was really familiar with all its features and where things were located etc. It became almost ‘second nature’ to navigate around it, but new users seemed to find it difficult and complicated.

The new App is apparently designed around what users now want…🤔?

I personally do not find the new App a problem actually, in terms of where things are now located and it’s easy enough to use/navigate on a phone, but it needs the ‘missing bits’ added and it needs optimisation to make it quicker, or at least feel quicker to navigate, to get to some things and begin playback etc.

I think some of the larger  tablet ‘screens’ (position/size/layout etc.) need some tweaks/changes aswell.

The new Web App is the layout I would personally prefer to see for a tablet device, but there’s a lot missing from that, nice if the current App could have the ‘room picker’ positioned down the right hand side of the screen, rather than popping up from below, as described in Peter Pee’s review of the new Sonos App on YouTube.

I would like to join the voices requesting that the old version be made available until the gremlins are out of the new update.  I cannot currently use my system. About the third time I change music, the app loses track of what is being played and no music queue appears. For all practical purposes, my  SONOS products, of which I have many, are bricks.  There is truly no excuse for a product like this to have ever been released.  

Discouving new things every day………

Most frustrating/annoying..…

every single playlist I had generated in Sonos has gone…..  4 years work down the drain.

So frustrating I can't search my own NAS music

least they give the oh so helpful error message “something went wrong” couldn’t figure that out without it  

LOL, When I do manage to get it to play music (albeit one album at a time like it was the 80’s again) I get this message every time I switch to another app and come back to Sonos.

Adding to the voices of those with a large nas library and who now has an essentially bricked system. Absolutely shocking to have rolled out this nerfing (it cannot be called an update) without consideration of the many customers who access their music this way…and without transparency about what you were doing. After many years of using Sonos products, I’ll be investing in a rival product now. Your lack of action to roll back this app or at least to give optional access to the old app for those who need it is similarly shocking. The silence in the face of so much customer discord is a disgrace. Sonos has well and truly shot itself in the foot here I’m afraid. 

It is not better than it was. Since i update my network cant find my Sonos system. I have to put the wifi out of my iPhone a few times. And then there it is again. Before the update everything was fine. 

LOL, When I do manage to get it to play music (albeit one album at a time like it was the 80’s again) I get this message every time I switch to another app and come back to Sonos.

it’s like a networked iPod shuffle, except without the shuffle and less reliable 🤣

After the update, the app keeps crashing.

It takes about 2 seconds.

I own a Iphone 15 pro max ios 17.5 

And a Samsung with the newest android.

My daughter has the Iphone 12 pro max ios 17.4.1

All the phones keeps crashing.

The android came with a pop-up that the sonos app has a bug🙈🙈

The workarround is to turn off Wifi, then open the app, and then turn on the wifi.

Then the app won't crash.

Please fix

To the Chief Product Officer, Maxime Bouvat-Merlin, let’s be crystal clear:

If you remove the ability to search metadata and play flacs from a local NAS server, or cripple the sound quality or streaming rate of local music library in any way, there won’t be enough 40% discount codes on this planet to convince me or any of my relatives to ever buy another SONOS product.

I understand that local library pinches into your streaming revenue.

You should understand that local library earned you hardware sales and that the streaming revenue is a potential by-product of those hardware sales, not a guaranteed or entitled revenue stream.

All of the other low-level feature removals, the “oops, sorry, we’ll bring those back” are nothing more than a smoke screen for the real power play here: testing the waters on how folks will respond to being forced to pay for streaming instead of using the speakers to play the music they already bought decades ago.

We are all warning you.