Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Though I do not use the alarm function, having it under “settings” seems strange. Alarm is not a setting, it’s a function.

I must say I still find the app u intuitive too. The button that seems to obscure my screen and that isn’t only a button but two menu’s (choosing speaker or grouping speakers). The fact I have to choose a radio stream and have to tap it to start streaming it just irks. Using buttons and also lettering that functions as a button be does not look like a button is also just bad UI.

The app was meant to be personalised, but the only personalisation I’ve found is the ability to place one (yes: one) music service as the first in line in the app.

It’s limited personalisation but you can change the order of the rows on the home screen, hence the Edit Home button.

TODAY’S APP UPDATE DETAILS: 

Current software version

80.06.04 (Android)
80.06.03 (iOS)

Release date: 8/6/2024

In this update:

This update contains new features for Sonos Ace. To use these features, make sure your Sonos Ace is up to date using the Sonos app.

• Introduced TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Arc, Beam (Gen 1), Beam (Gen 2), and Ray on Android
  • Added TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Beam (Gen 1), Beam (Gen 2), and Ray on iOS
  • Added S2 to S1 downgrade tool
  • Improved smoothness and reduced latency for Group Volume controls on iOS
  • Added mute buttons for individual products in Group Volume controls
  • Added Group Volume controls from the Now Playing screen on iOS
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on iOS
  • Improved performance for large queues on iOS
  • Added the ability to “forget system” on Android
  • Improved reliability for speech enhancement and night mode settings on iOS
  • Improved reliability when starting playback from a playlist on Android

Having tried today’s update (8/6/24) I’ve noticed that the volume controller is more laggier and less responsive than the previous version… It kind of sticks in the same place until you move your finger up or down on the screen. Very weird… Both on iPad and iPhone.

Having tried today’s update (8/6/24) I’ve noticed that the volume controller is more laggier and less responsive than the previous version… It kind of sticks in the same place until you move your finger up or down on the screen. Very weird… Both on iPad and iPhone.

Is it worth rebooting everything (router and speakers) as it sounds like the signal isn’t getting through efficiently between app and network/speakers your side? No volume issues on iPhone here... 

Is it worth rebooting everything (router and speakers) as it sounds like the signal isn’t getting through efficiently between app and network/speakers your side? No volume issues on iPhone here... 

Already tried restarting everything, incl removing and re-installing the app. It’s weird because the slider doesn’t move until I slightly move my finger up or down after I’ve pressed it and slid it to the right or left… And only when I have speakers grouped, not for single speakers. 

This guy’s not wrong. Thought it would be interesting for us to watch:

Still can’t select various boxes in the Recently Played area unless it’s a radio station or something like a service. But I’m not having any issues with the volume controls. 

Still can’t select various boxes in the Recently Played area unless it’s a radio station or something like a service. But I’m not having any issues with the volume controls. 

Try switching off the recently played feature by disabling the “use personalisation services” in Data & Privacy in the user account settings in the App and then re-enable it and see if that might fix the issue.

Issues with volume in the new app. Hi. I upgraded finally last week as, one of your blind users, I was aware of how inaccessible the initial app was for those of us using VoiceOver.

Issues with volume in the new app. Hi. I upgraded finally last week as, one of your blind users, I was aware of how inaccessible the initial app was for those of us using VoiceOver. I'm pleased to see that there have been improvements made, but it seems that now, even on one percent, my speakers are louder than I would like. I work from home and I'm a call centre agent.my Sonos fives which are paired and connected to an Amazon device in the front room, play way louder now even on one percent than they used to on 3%. I have them on purely for background music but now it's becoming a bit of an interference and I can't make my music more quiet.

my Sonos fives which are paired and connected to an Amazon device in the front room, play way louder now even on one percent than they used to on 3%. I have them on purely for background music but now it's becoming a bit of an interference and I can't make my music any more quiet. Any suggestions? Can you please do something about this. Thanks 

Issues with volume in the new app. Hi. I upgraded finally last week as, one of your blind users, I was aware of how inaccessible the initial app was for those of us using VoiceOver.

Issues with volume in the new app. Hi. I upgraded finally last week as, one of your blind users, I was aware of how inaccessible the initial app was for those of us using VoiceOver. I'm pleased to see that there have been improvements made, but it seems that now, even on one percent, my speakers are louder than I would like. I work from home and I'm a call centre agent.my Sonos fives which are paired and connected to an Amazon device in the front room, play way louder now even on one percent than they used to on 3%. I have them on purely for background music but now it's becoming a bit of an interference and I can't make my music more quiet.

my Sonos fives which are paired and connected to an Amazon device in the front room, play way louder now even on one percent than they used to on 3%. I have them on purely for background music but now it's becoming a bit of an interference and I can't make my music any more quiet. Any suggestions? Can you please do something about this. Thanks 

Have you tried using Sonos Voice Control (SVC) if that’s available on your device, to set the volume to 1% - does that make the volume level any quieter? I ask because some volume levels can jump in increments of 10% only in some cases (particularly if the word ‘percent’ is missed), but I know that SVC is more granular with its volume settings when referring to the level in percentages.

@Ken_Griffiths I think he or she is saying that they can play it on 1% but it is now louder than it used to be at 3%, and so they can’t get it to play it quieter. Or am I misreading your suggested solution?

@Ken_Griffiths I think he or she is saying that they can play it on 1% but it is now louder than it used to be at 3%, and so they can’t get it to play it quieter.

Yeah I understand that - but my thoughts were that sometimes if ‘percent’ is not heard at the end of the voice instruction the volume can actually jump to 10% - but if it IS too loud at 1% the device volume control curves are likely designed to work with all other Sonos products too - so it might not be a simple change for the Sonos Engineers - it might actually be easier to move the speaker further away - if practical.

Try switching off the recently played feature by disabling the “use personalisation services” in Data & Privacy in the user account settings in the App and then re-enable it and see if that might fix the issue.

Just noticed ur reply. I did what you said, but all the boxes are gone now. It indicates “your recent history will show once you’ve played some content”.  So I played a couple of songs and it still hasn’t populated any boxes (room playlists) in that area. So maybe if I keep playing a couple of different rooms and it might eventually show something. I don’t know where this information is stored. I’m optimistic that this might work. I’ll keep playing around, but right now I’m leaving to see my brain surgeon. Maybe when I get home something will have appear. Thank you.

Just noticed ur reply. I did what you said, but all the boxes are gone now. It indicates “your recent history will show once you’ve played some content”.  So I played a couple of songs and it still hasn’t populated any boxes (room playlists) in that area. So maybe if I keep playing a couple of different rooms and it might eventually show something. I don’t know where this information is stored. I’m optimistic that this might work. I’ll keep playing around, but right now I’m leaving to see my brain surgeon. Maybe when I get home something will have appear. Thank you.

I didn’t leave yet so I continued to select rooms and playlists. It’s finally starting to populate the Recently Played area with two of my Playlists, the Bedroom and the Sunroom and as before, when I click on them it always starts with that grey screen where you think something is going to happen, then along the top it always says “Something went wrong” and doesn’t display anything. This is not a big problem and I’m sure it will eventually get fixed, but as I indicated before, if I selected a radio station, it has no problem, just a problem with my locally store playlists. 

Beam2 and ERAs300 (rear) The problem with hanging volume control, as well as timbres, has not been fixed for me. Clicking on plus or minus helps and starts working, but not for long))). TRUEPLAY has not been working for a long time. The signal starts and stops abruptly with a click after a second. The router and speakers and the phone were overloaded. IPhone 14 Pro. IOS 17.15.1 Also sometimes, when launching the application, the message add ERA300 appears, although they have already been added as ambient sound.

Beam2 and ERAs300 (rear) The problem with hanging volume control, as well as timbres, has not been fixed for me. Clicking on plus or minus helps and starts working, but not for long))). TRUEPLAY has not been working for a long time. The signal starts and stops abruptly with a click after a second. The router and speakers and the phone were overloaded. IPhone 14 Pro. IOS 17.15.1 Also sometimes, when launching the application, the message add ERA300 appears, although they have already been added as ambient sound.

I installed the app on IPAD 10.5 PRO 2017. TRUEPLAY is working. The volume control works fine too.

I didn’t leave yet so I continued to select rooms and playlists. It’s finally starting to populate the Recently Played area with two of my Playlists, the Bedroom and the Sunroom and as before, when I click on them it always starts with that grey screen where you think something is going to happen, then along the top it always says “Something went wrong” and doesn’t display anything. This is not a big problem and I’m sure it will eventually get fixed, but as I indicated before, if I selected a radio station, it has no problem, just a problem with my locally store playlists. 

Just to continue my finds. No change. Every time I click or select a box in the Recently Played area, I always get the “something went wrong” message, but clicking on a box in the Sonos Favorites will show me the complete playlist list of songs. This is on my iPhone and my two iPads. Just FYI. This is not a big problem, just want to point this out. 

Just to continue my finds. No change. Every time I click or select a box in the Recently Played area, I always get the “something went wrong” message, but clicking on a box in the Sonos Favorites will show me the complete playlist list of songs. This is on my iPhone and my two iPads. Just FYI. This is not a big problem, just want to point this out. 

What type of playlists are they John? Is it the old Sonos playlists saved from the room queues or are they playlists stored within a Music Service? I think Sonos are still to do some work on ‘Sonos playlists’ and queue management so maybe that’s the reason. Hie do you get to play the playlists to begin with is it via the Desktop App, or via the new mobile Sonos App? 

@John Guarr I think and hope that @Ken_Griffiths is correct as I am seeing disappearing recently played and favourite lists too. Starting from initial app load when they appear to populate OK but then very quickly revert to empty pulsing boxes:

I have seen this since day 1 of the new approach and have put it down to the fact that both lists contain playlists and stuff from local libraries and created from play queues under the old ways, as well as radio stations and other streamed content. I too am awaiting a fix with🤞...

@User117655,

I don’t use Sonos playlists in my own setup. I tend to create playlists in the Music Service ‘native’ App (Usually Amazon Music) then I export that to Apple Music too as I use both those services (and vice versa). To export/import the playlists I use Soundiiz online. It means I have my playlists backed up and they also appear in the Sonos App services too.

For the local NAS SMBv2/3 shared library, I create playlists using the common .m3u format - In summary I use an App called MusicStreamer (iOS) to create and export the playlist in .m3u and then I clean up the playlist (removing unnecessary directives/extensions) in a text editor and place that in a folder in the shared library path.

I’m not sure if it’s Sonos playlists holding up your App startup but my iPad and iPhone Apps seem to startup okay from a fully closed state - (attached). That’s with18 Music Services installed (including the local library)… and the discovery of 25 speakers (approx. 10 Sonos rooms).

When the new Sonos App was first launched in May, I did have some issues with a slow startup time, but that turned out to be that some speakers had poor SNR levels (as mentioned previously) and so I moved a few things around (mesh WiFi hubs) to improve those things and put more of my Sonos devices onto the 5Ghz band and it’s not too bad at the moment.

If I leave the App backgrounded and don’t close it - the App startup time is instant, so I mostly leave it backgrounded when not in use.

What type of playlists are they John? Is it the old Sonos playlists saved from the room queues or are they playlists stored within a Music Service? I think Sonos are still to do some work on ‘Sonos playlists’ and queue management so maybe that’s the reason. Hie do you get to play the playlists to begin with is it via the Desktop App, or via the new mobile Sonos App? 

I don’t really use the music services except for one or two radio stations. The playlists are all my stored music from years past and my music resides on my local NAS, I think, unless Sonos has it now. It’s really not a big issue, I just wanted to point that out in case someone is noticing the same problem. I just noticed you had asked me another question. I play all my music from either my iPhone or my two iPads. If I’m sitting at my desk, I’ll use my office Play:3 via the Windows Controller. And of course using the new mobile app on my iDevices. 

@John Guarr I think and hope that @Ken_Griffiths is correct as I am seeing disappearing recently played and favourite lists too. Starting from initial app load when they appear to populate OK but then very quickly revert to empty pulsing boxes:

I have seen this since day 1 of the new approach and have put it down to the fact that both lists contain playlists and stuff from local libraries and created from play queues under the old ways, as well as radio stations and other streamed content. I too am awaiting a fix with🤞...

Yes, that’s what keeps happening to me; sometimes they change to empty boxes. 

I don’t really use the music services except for one or two radio stations. The playlists are all my stored music from years past and my music resides on my local NAS, I think, unless Sonos has it now. It’s really not a big issue, I just wanted to point that out in case someone is noticing the same problem. I just noticed you had asked me another question. I play all my music from either my iPhone or my two iPads. If I’m sitting at my desk, I’ll use my office Play:3 via the Windows Controller. And of course using the new mobile app on my iDevices. 

So do you think it’s the local library playlists that are delaying things during the startup of the Sonos App?

In my case, I just use .m3u playlists for my locally shared SMB-2/3 library. That library is held on a NAS box rather than a PC but it’s the same/similar thing anyway.

I have my playlists in a library folder, see attached sample list. That allows the playlist to be used by other Apps that access the local library too.

If your Sonos playlists do cause problems with the ‘Recently Played’ section in the App, then maybe see what happens when you leave that section disabled in the App (it can be hidden too). It might be worth a try.

I have an old iPhone XR controller and that starts up pretty quickly with the ‘Recently Played’ section disabled, but I don’t use Sonos playlists anyway to try to test those things here to see if it may perhaps be causing an issue, but switching off ‘Recently Played’, even just temporarily, might be worth a try to see if that helps with the App startup.

The other handy thing with .m3u playlists, is that they can exceed Sonos’ own playlist limitations and are really quick to load to a room queue. There’s no issue loading/playing a playlist with over 25,000+ tracks, for example, to any Sonos room, or group.

There is also occasionally spin up time on an NAS that could affect when it is responding to Sonos.