Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Why do you even need feedback, surely if you have a brain and use the app you will see all the nonsense you have pushed on us. Zero user testing, or by people who are not users ….. easily the worst bit of software I have come across.  Your market share must be dipping fast, id say, CEO … gone, CTO gone, Head of product gone……. 

Hello, can we help you?

This is a feedback thread, posts here don’t need to be looking for help, pay attention.

Ah okay. My bad, I’m sure this feedback will be of the greatest use.

About as useful as your constant spamming but at least they are on topic to the thread. 

Here is something you might find interesting. I just went to a family gathering and as I was leaving I was introduced to someone by my Brother who mentioned that he was a “Sonos guy like you”. So I asked him if he was experiencing any issues, since a lot of users are. He looked confused and didn’t know what I was talking about. I told him about the new Sonos app and the issues that I see here in our community. He said he had Sonos speakers all through his house and installs systems for other users and he is not aware of any problems. We talked just a little more and he asked if I can play my own music on my computer. Not on my computer, but yes I can using my NAS drive. He says that he, and most of his users subscribe to services, like Pandora, and that may be what has saved him from the problems we are all sharing. So that’s confusing. I wish I knew more to tell, but we were both in a hurry. He said he has always loved and pushed Sonos to his customers, but their speakers are overpriced. 

And in the feedback area of this post, I would like to not go back to the top of my playlist after searching 100 songs down and start playing a song. Whether I use the Playing Now window and/or doing anything else, it always takes me back up to the top and I would like to be at the current song position. Me and some other users have mentioned this in the past.  Thank you. 

I am in the process of moving from South Africa to the UK and when I left SA in early May my Sonos system had no functional issues associated with the app. Today, I checked the forum and was shocked with all the app problems. I have checked my app version and is currently 80.04.05 release  20240702 edb3233. Does this mean I am deep in the manure with this app? I have SL One and SL speakers and are due to arrive in the UK next month. 

For the record, put me down as a disappointed Sonos customer, as the way this has been implemented is amateurish at best. Both my daughters are software developers and they cannot believe that an app is issued to customers without thorough testing. 

I have checked my app version and is currently 80.04.05 release  20240702 edb3233. Does this mean I am deep in the manure with this app?  

The app is now on 80.06.03 from last week, with myriad fixes over the last few months as detailed here: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

It’s impossible to know if your system will work. It all works fine for some, and not good for others. It’s been an issue for music library users, and there have been device discovery issues or poor connectivity issues or glitchiness/unreliability for others. App updates are being released at least fortnightly, so any issues you have should be resolved in subsequent releases.

Only you will know ultimately which side your luck falls when you set it all up. 

I am in the process of moving from South Africa to the UK and when I left SA in early May my Sonos system had no functional issues associated with the app. Today, I checked the forum and was shocked with all the app problems. I have checked my app version and is currently 80.04.05 release  20240702 edb3233. Does this mean I am deep in the manure with this app? I have SL One and SL speakers and are due to arrive in the UK next month. 

For the record, put me down as a disappointed Sonos customer, as the way this has been implemented is amateurish at best. Both my daughters are software developers and they cannot believe that an app is issued to customers without thorough testing. 

How do you know it’s not going to work for you? I’m based in the UK and it’s working here for my Sonos systems and it’s working for members of our Family, and Friends in their Homes too… maybe try to keep your glass full instead of half-empty,

I wouldn’t worry about it while they’re in transit. Until you have them and want to set them up there’s no real way to know.

I expect you have enough to juggle and far more important things to deal with while moving than potential “what if?” scenarios with some speakers.

Hope everything goes smoothly with the move.

I wouldn’t worry about it while they’re in transit. Until you have them and want to set them up there’s no real way to know.

I expect you have enough to juggle and far more important things to deal with while moving than potential “what if?” scenarios with some speakers.

Hope everything goes smoothly with the move.

Indeed, moving is stressful enough but changing country, possibly job, possibly family etc 😯 Sonos should be the least of your worries especially since you appear to have a system towards the smaller end. Good luck.

I have checked my app version …]

…]any issues you have should be resolved in subsequent releases.

@Rhonny: I’m truly curious why you say this. Is it clear that the overall system is actually improving with each new release? Perhaps so, I really don’t know, but I do see reports from people saying that release n+1 broke something that worked on release n. Maybe the situation is sufficiently confusing that such reports can’t always be taken at face value. But as an outside observer with decades of experience in IT development and distribution, waiting to see if/when S2 seems reliable enough to justify the effort/risk of an upgrade from S1, SONOS seems to be flailing. Again, just my impression, based on a very narrow information channel, but you seem confident that everything will someday be working smoothly. Is that just because you presume SONOS will keep working on the problems until they’re all addressed?

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that Sonos will not work with some networking hardware. In some other cases configuration changes are required for Sonos to work. Sonos maintains a list of problematic hardware here.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Rolling out a half baked app, and the continual incompetence to successfully fix it is pathetic. I would like you to know I’m NEVER buying another Sonos product again. I have 14 of them thus far.

But I guess I have the last laugh. I was planning on upgrading my entire system to the latest products next year. It was going to be thousands of dollars in your pocket. Now you’re not getting a penny from me. Add that to your $30 million loss projection.

I will also actively be going out of my way, in line with most of the tech reviews, to tell others to avoid your products. (Previously I have encouraged several other people to buy Sonos.)

I have a giant collection of expensive paperweights at home that after over 10 hours I still cannot connect due to app errors. And even the few devices that I’ve managed to connect operate very sluggishly on this app. When I try to change the button, it takes about five seconds to work if it works at all. I paid too much money for this kind of headache. 

Ps. Based on the most recent reviews on the App Store, everyone else feels the same way I do. And something tells me, I am not the only one who is not going to be upgrading any products ever again with your company.

I'm sorry but this app remains shockingly bad, the levels of corporate incompetence coupled with the double down approach to any criticism means I too won't be buying any Sonos product in the future

edited as answered my own question

Hi.  Don’t think SVC is available on fives but if it’s possible to use something like the beam/roam to change volume in another room that might be worth doing.  Currently I’m changing volume using sonos app or the alexa device which is paired with the sonos speakers.

Considering this is going from bad to worse as now i just keep getting a “no system found” i have come to realize that my 2xplay 5 / 2x play 3 / 2x roam / and 2 x One are dead for good and all due to the fault of Sonos on pushing through a upgrade that not only screwed up the app but also seems to have killed the actual speakers or made them incompatible, what a way to treat your customers.

Can you please advise me the correct person or department to contact in order to provide you with my bank details so you can refund me in full and ill gladly ship you the plastic junk with your “brand name” as they are taking up space needed very soon with a good quality BOSE system.

Shame on you

i have come to realize that my 2xplay 5 / 2x play 3 / 2x roam / and 2 x One are dead for good

No they’re not. Forthcoming app updates will rectify them. But if you’ve decided you’re moving to Bose anyway then good luck with your Sonos refund efforts...

Considering this is going from bad to worse as now i just keep getting a “no system found” i have come to realize that my 2xplay 5 / 2x play 3 / 2x roam / and 2 x One are dead for good and all due to the fault of Sonos on pushing through a upgrade that not only screwed up the app but also seems to have killed the actual speakers or made them incompatible, what a way to treat your customers.

Can you please advise me the correct person or department to contact in order to provide you with my bank details so you can refund me in full and ill gladly ship you the plastic junk with your “brand name” as they are taking up space needed very soon with a good quality BOSE system.

Shame on you

I recommend selling them on eBay. Seems like people are paying for them there. I’m also considering selling off my system and just switching over to save myself the headache.

i have come to realize that my 2xplay 5 / 2x play 3 / 2x roam / and 2 x One are dead for good

No they’re not. Forthcoming app updates will rectify them. But if you’ve decided you’re moving to Bose anyway then good luck with your Sonos refund efforts...

I swear you are revelling in this. And your assertions are right up there with Comical Ali.

Now even a once stalwart supporter of Sonos, Wired magazine has just posted how awful the new app is! 

Sure Q3 got a little revenue bump from the Ace cans, but wait till Sonos actually has to post all of the returns from wholesalers, retailers, e-sellers, and more.  They didn’t have to count those immediately, but we all know they are coming in in record numbers for Sonos and they will have to account for, this quarter.  I hope the investment community understands this as the earnings call sure didn’t highlight that fact and blamed the delayed new products for the lower Q4 estimates. 

I’ve talked with Best Buy reps, installers, and multiple friends and family who will never recommend or purchase these products again.  Sonos lied with the roll-out, used deceptive marketing/advertisement/push campaigns, that basically hoodwinked most average users into falling for that pack of lies with this crap app (that should have been rolled out as S3 for the Bluetooth cans).  

To paraphrase a friend who I had recommended an extensive whole-home Sonos system to last year.

“look the app is basically a remote control for my music system.  Sonos stole my user-friend and familiar remote control and replaced it with one that not only doesn’t function, is hard to learn, not intuitive, and missing features that were PROMISED at roll-out!” 

Like so many, they don’t have the time, energy, or desire to read the thousands of “mine is working great” posts even if they often offer some solutions to get their once USEFUL remote control to work! 

Now even a once stalwart supporter of Sonos, Wired magazine has just posted how awful the new app is! 

Sure Q3 got a little revenue bump from the Ace cans, but wait till Sonos actually has to post all of the returns from wholesalers, retailers, e-sellers, and more.  They didn’t have to count those immediately, but we all know they are coming in in record numbers for Sonos and they will have to account for, this quarter.  I hope the investment community understands this as the earnings call sure didn’t highlight that fact and blamed the delayed new products for the lower Q4 estimates. 

I’ve talked with Best Buy reps, installers, and multiple friends and family who will never recommend or purchase these products again.  Sonos lied with the roll-out, used deceptive marketing/advertisement/push campaigns, that basically hoodwinked most average users into falling for that pack of lies with this crap app (that should have been rolled out as S3 for the Bluetooth cans).  

To paraphrase a friend who I had recommended an extensive whole-home Sonos system to last year.

“look the app is basically a remote control for my music system.  Sonos stole my user-friend and familiar remote control and replaced it with one that not only doesn’t function, is hard to learn, not intuitive, and missing features that were PROMISED at roll-out!” 

Like so many, they don’t have the time, energy, or desire to read the thousands of “mine is working great” posts even if they often offer some solutions to get their once USEFUL remote control to work! 

There are handfuls rather than 1000s and they are the same sad bunch following everyone around naysaying the actual experience. If they were all that (smugly) satisfied the rating on the Android/IoS shops would have remained high. They have all been reduced to a minimum of 1.1 because longstanding customers gave registered their dissatisfaction and re rated the app in their 1000s. The rest (everything works for the best, they are fixing it, the 90+% satisfaction survey on FB - only 104 participants, etc, etc and all the 'happy clappy' media campaigns on every bloody channel) is bs. 

“new App doesnt automatically connect between systems” thread closed to further comments

Wow, so we arenʻt allowed to keep any critical threads alive anymore. This should be a simple fix. So disappointed in Sonos. While I applaud them for recognizing they messed up this is absurd.

Moderator edit: Threads are closed automatically after 3 months of inactivity. You can always message us and ask for a thread to be reopened.

There are handfuls rather than 1000s and they are the same sad bunch following everyone around naysaying the actual experience. If they were all that (smugly) satisfied the rating on the Android/IoS shops would have remained high. They have all been reduced to a minimum of 1.1 because longstanding customers gave registered their dissatisfaction and re rated the app in their 1000s. The rest (everything works for the best, they are fixing it, the 90+% satisfaction survey on FB - only 104 participants, etc, etc and all the 'happy clappy' media campaigns on every bloody channel) is bs. 

Sonos spends a ton on PR firms that flood social media with positive flak.  No one in my group of friends/family use FalseBook, InstaDamn, TwitX, or the other polluted social media sites any longer.  It’s all just marketing and misinformation run by manchild billionaires where you are the product not the customer. App ratings and product ratings on Amz etc. + major tech pubs show a mass dissatisfaction with Sonos now.  “They did it themselves and that’s why it really hurts.”  Sadly, it’s also hurting customers and a once great audio company, not to mention the good and honest employees at Sonos who are lead by an ignorant, arrogant, and greedy leadership team. 

“new App doesnt automatically connect between systems” thread closed to further comments

Wow, so we arenʻt allowed to keep any critical threads alive anymore. 

If Sonos was in the habit of closing critical threads, there wouldn’t be any threads left. 

If Sonos was in the habit of closing critical threads, there wouldn’t be any threads left. 

Lades and gentlemen, THAT is the post of month! Bravo @Rhonny👏👏👏

who are lead by an ignorant, arrogant, and greedy leadership team. 

But that seems to be the norm everywhere these days. 

The new app is pure garbage.  Unusable.   So frustrating!!

Please roll this update back.