Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

****!!! Says it all

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

My Sonos has been in storage for 2 years bar a single play3. It was pending a new house move. Now I’ve been renovating and considering getting the show on the road again. I’ve noticed all sorts of weird problems but my renovations have distracted me from worrying or digging in. Then I read about the new app fiasco and come on this sticky thread but see a plethora of complaints and read enough to get the gist. I vowed never to buy any more kit after the S1-S2 fiasco and have used S1 ever since.

So, where do I find a concise IS / IS NOT concerning what is affected?

Right now I’m assuming S1 is OK?

Why is Spence still in post?

Can WiiM sync multi-room?

No sycophantic apologists need reply.

Darn. I was going to provide you with an answer to each and every question you posed, but your attitude to those who are on here to help and who don’t have issues stinks a bit, so I won’t bother. 

My Sonos has been in storage for 2 years bar a single play3. It was pending a new house move. Now I’ve been renovating and considering getting the show on the road again. I’ve noticed all sorts of weird problems but my renovations have distracted me from worrying or digging in. Then I read about the new app fiasco and come on this sticky thread but see a plethora of complaints and read enough to get the gist. I vowed never to buy any more kit after the S1-S2 fiasco and have used S1 ever since.

Sadly I don’t think there is a concise list of issues as they appear to be quite wide-ranging. Connectivity in general can be very hit and miss. OK for some, far from OK for others. Functionally we are still missing the ability to edit queues and use stuff like letters to quickly navigate local libraries, which are currently borked if you have compilations… 

If you are building a new network then now is not a good time to add Sonos S2 into the mix as you won’t know which way is up if you have problems. 

However, for S1, you should be OK. 

Can’t answer why Spence is still there, I’d imagine when the full impact of this starts to bite next quarter that patience will run out. 

No idea on WiiM, but unless they’ve licensed Sonos tech like IKEA did, I doubt they’ll interact, esp. with an S1 system which doesn’t do AirPlay2. 

Darn. I was going to provide you with an answer to each and every question you posed, but your attitude to those who are on here to help and who don’t have issues stinks a bit, so I won’t bother. 

Reminds me of the old cartoon where the angry captain shouts to the surly crew, “The floggings will continue until morale improves!”

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

One word is missing from this message and that word is ‘sorry’. 

It’s bad enough to mess up some software, it’s even worse to be so tone deaf to the pain of your loyal customers whose personal lives you’ve unilaterally and forcibly downgraded. 

Why are you even on here if you’re still on S1?

@AlexMorrisonUK  “One word is missing from this message and that word is ‘sorry’. ”

The moderators’ post was about recognising the volume of questions and posts, and how they would respond to as many as possible.  It wasn’t the moderators who “downgraded people’s lives” (!). It’s not the forum moderators’ place to apologise on behalf of Sonos, they can only pass things on. And they have had to pass on SO much information to Sonos these last three months - it must have been hell on Earth for them. Doubtlessly even more hellish than your own loss of system functionality. (The moderators are in fact the conduit to getting systems working again.)

Plus the apology has been done (ish) by the CEO. Take a look at the big green banner at the top of every page on this forum, and also read the transcript of the CEO’s call with investors last week for the latest.

Sonos made a huge error in releasing the app before it was anywhere near ready. I’m not a Sonos company apologist, but as a forum regular, I think your reading of the moderators’ post is very wrong and your response to them quite unfair.

@AlexMorrisonUK  “One word is missing from this message and that word is ‘sorry’. ”

The moderators’ post was about recognising the volume of questions and posts, and how they would respond to as many as possible.  It wasn’t the moderators who “downgraded people’s lives” (!). It’s not the forum moderators’ place to apologise on behalf of Sonos, they can only pass things on. And they have had to pass on SO much information to Sonos these last three months - it must have been hell on Earth for them. Doubtlessly even more hellish than your own loss of system functionality. (The moderators are in fact the conduit to getting systems working again.)

Plus the apology has been done (ish) by the CEO. Take a look at the big green banner at the top of every page on this forum, and also read the transcript of the CEO’s call with investors last week for the latest.

Sonos made a huge error in releasing the app before it was anywhere near ready. I’m not a Sonos company apologist, but as a forum regular, I think your reading of the moderators’ post is very wrong and your response to them quite unfair.

I don’t understand your point. The moderators are clearly speaking on behalf of Sonos.  

I have no issue with anyone personally. I have a major issue with Sonos as an organisation. They collectively owe us an apology. 

I have worked in software my entire life and never seen an issue that has been so badly handled at every level. 

Sadly I don’t think there is a concise list of issues as they appear to be quite wide-ranging. Connectivity in general can be very hit and miss. OK for some, far from OK for others. Functionally we are still missing the ability to edit queues and use stuff like letters to quickly navigate local libraries, which are currently borked if you have compilations… 

If you are building a new network then now is not a good time to add Sonos S2 into the mix as you won’t know which way is up if you have problems. 

Can’t answer why Spence is still there, I’d imagine when the full impact of this starts to bite next quarter that patience will run out. 

No idea on WiiM, but unless they’ve licensed Sonos tech like IKEA did, I doubt they’ll interact, esp. with an S1 system which doesn’t do AirPlay2. 

Thanks mate. I only ask for an IS / IS NOT as it is a good way to kick off problem solving, a good communication tool and focus on what you don’t know cos right now it reads like they don‘t know what they don’t know?

I worked a career in automotive complex electronic supply and this kinda issue would cost us $2m / day per car line. That tends to focus the mind.

I only ask about WiiM cos I might just ditch the Sonos kit and go down that road. 

Darn, I won my own bingo game.

Darn, I won my own bingo game.

Funny! (Is that another one crossed off?)

Why are you even on here if you’re still on S1?

You got the bit about S1 so I’ve assumed you can read. It must be comprehension problems. Sorry if that offends you but I have a life, just need things to work and carry on working and don’t invest emotionally in these forums like some. Accept diversity.

Anyone else here that looks into possibility to sue Sonos after they have broken our equipment?

Anyone else here that looks into possibility to sue Sonos after they have broken our equipment?

There are loads! Search ‘class action’ in the search bar to read the futile threads. 

Thanks mate. I only ask for an IS / IS NOT as it is a good way to kick off problem solving, a good communication tool and focus on what you don’t know cos right now it reads like they don‘t know what they don’t know?

Unfortunately, with a lack of any decent information from Sonos, and the lack of meaningful progress, it does feel like they still don’t know what they don’t know, and that is the most concerning part… 

There are loads! Search ‘class action’ in the search bar to read the futile threads. 

Wow, an accomplished lawyer too?

Wow, an accomplished lawyer too?

There really is no limit to how realistic I am on this matter.

I worked a career in automotive complex electronic supply and this kinda issue would cost us $2m / day per car line. That tends to focus the mind.

I only ask about WiiM cos I might just ditch the Sonos kit and go down that road. 

There's a thread discussing WiiM. Looks good. 

WiiM have a microphone on board which is only used to sample audio and automatically adjust audio delay when used in multi-room playback. This is also meant to keep them in sync when grouped with non-wiim playback devices. Some headline info here on the tech they include (https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimpro/technology)

It raises a question for my needs for the three rooms I connect together for multi-room playback the most. The players would all be sat inside the same electronics closet/cupboard not out in the individual rooms, so all three would detect the same delay if they picked up anything.

I went a different route because while I think they have promise, they’re still young products, going through rapid development and aren’t without issues. It is also unclear how well they supported some features I wanted them for.

Why do you even need feedback, surely if you have a brain and use the app you will see all the nonsense you have pushed on us. Zero user testing, or by people who are not users ….. easily the worst bit of software I have come across.  Your market share must be dipping fast, id say, CEO … gone, CTO gone, Head of product gone……. 

Here is something you might find interesting. I just went to a family gathering and as I was leaving I was introduced to someone by my Brother who mentioned that he was a “Sonos guy like you”. So I asked him if he was experiencing any issues, since a lot of users are. He looked confused and didn’t know what I was talking about. I told him about the new Sonos app and the issues that I see here in our community. He said he had Sonos speakers all through his house and installs systems for other users and he is not aware of any problems. We talked just a little more and he asked if I can play my own music on my computer. Not on my computer, but yes I can using my NAS drive. He says that he, and most of his users subscribe to services, like Pandora, and that may be what has saved him from the problems we are all sharing. So that’s confusing. I wish I knew more to tell, but we were both in a hurry. He said he has always loved and pushed Sonos to his customers, but their speakers are overpriced. 

Why do you even need feedback, surely if you have a brain and use the app you will see all the nonsense you have pushed on us. Zero user testing, or by people who are not users ….. easily the worst bit of software I have come across.  Your market share must be dipping fast, id say, CEO … gone, CTO gone, Head of product gone……. 

Hello, can we help you?

Hello, can we help you?

This is a feedback thread, posts here don’t need to be looking for help, pay attention.

Hello, can we help you?

This is a feedback thread, posts here don’t need to be looking for help, pay attention.

Ah okay. My bad, I’m sure this feedback will be of the greatest use.