Skip to main content
Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

It’s the refusal to offer an alternative that I cant believe.

ewe says: Sonos has trashed decades of goodwill in an instant.

That’s it, in a nutshell. 

The new app is awful.  Whoever in Sonos approved pushing this app out to consumers is a fool.  Total disaster.  

Sonos was always so easy to use.  No longer.  They should revert immediately to the previous app.  I cannot figure out how to select speakers or select music or frankly use the system properly.  Thankfully I have Alexa enabled so I can ask to play music.   

Dump the app Sonos.   You are losing people’s confidence every hour.  

I opened a ticket with Sonos May 29th...Still waiting on a response from the team. No more Sonos in the future for me!

He who shouts loudest makes things happen. Don’t be passive after nearly three months - get back into them.

OR post your issue on here and someone might help.

I honestly don’t know why Sonos team is struggling for to implement a simple feature! All I want is to be able to stream local files to my sonos system. Is this too much to ask for? I have tried adding music library from Mac, the problem is if the mac is in sleep mode the solution doesn’t work! Recently I discovered something called shared folder capability in sonos app on iOS, the network path I am providing the app does not like!

I invested a lot in Sonos eco system now I am regretting it!

You can get my loyalty back by providing a solution that works! I am also wondering if the Sonos engineering team tests what they put out or just dump on their user base and use us for testing?

I honestly don’t know why Sonos team is struggling for to implement a simple feature! All I want is to be able to stream local files to my sonos system. Is this too much to ask for? I have tried adding music library from Mac, the problem is if the mac is in sleep mode the solution doesn’t work! Recently I discovered something called shared folder capability in sonos app on iOS, the network path I am providing the app does not like!

I invested a lot in Sonos eco system now I am regretting it!

You can get my loyalty back by providing a solution that works! I am also wondering if the Sonos engineering team tests what they put out or just dump on their user base and use us for testing?

I understand a good many Sonos users already have their MacOS locally shared library, using SMBv2 (or higher), successfully working with the new Sonos App.

Maybe see this link for the instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

If after following the instructions you find it’s still not working for you, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue(s) seen and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

It’s the refusal to offer an alternative that I cant believe.

If you’re having difficulty with the new Sonos App, you could maybe try some of these alternatives to play your chosen audio on Sonos products…

I am now playing Idagio classical streaming on my phone and casting to Sonos. That is the only way I can play a complete album. Radio works ok on Sonos. I have restart Sonos multiple times to get it to recognize the system. 

I am now playing Idagio classical streaming on my phone and casting to Sonos. That is the only way I can play a complete album. Radio works ok on Sonos. I have restart Sonos multiple times to get it to recognize the system. 

Is that a restart of the Sonos App, or a restart of your speakers? I’m not seeing any difficulties like this - my setup is discovered on launch of the App and stays rock solid all day. Could you maybe have an issue with your controller device perhaps, or an issue with your router? I’m using an iPhone and iPad as my controller and the speakers are all running on the local WiFi mesh around the Home (no WiFi range extenders, or EoP adapters etc.)

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

The same thing happened to me during my move. I was able to figure this out. So apparently some modems are coming out with smart wifi6 that mixes both 2.5 and 5.0G lines in one. The devices dont quite connect well to them only ethernet and gone after disconnected. The only way to fix it is to buy a router that lets you turn off that feature and go back to having only 5 and 2.5 that should be able to communicate well with system. I udually do 2.5.

The same thing happened to me during my move. I was able to figure this out. So apparently some modems are coming out with smart wifi6 that mixes both 2.5 and 5.0G lines in one. The devices dont quite connect well to them only ethernet and gone after disconnected. The only way to fix it is to buy router that lets you turn off that feature and go back to having only 5 and 2.5 that should be able to communicate well with system. I udually do 2.5.

I don’t think that’s the issue as my router and WiFi mesh uses a combined 2.4Ghz/5Ghz dual band broadcasting the same SSID/credentials for both and with its automatic band steering, Sonos works fine on either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz signal. I also use security mode WPA2 personal for compatibility, but most Sonos products now support WPA3. 

I much prefer Sonos to use the 5Ghz WiFi band post-setup anyway, as it’s faster and less susceptible to interference, albeit less penetrating, but that’s perhaps less important with a WiFi mesh based Home setup these days. These products support the faster 5Ghz connection… 

• Play:1
  • Play:3
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Sub (Gen 1)
  • Sub (Gen 2)
  • Era 100
  • Era 300
  • Move 2
  • Roam
  • Roam 2
  • Roam SL
  • Five
  • Move
  • One (Gen 1)
  • One (Gen 2)
  • One SL
  • Port
  • Sub (Gen 3)
  • Sub Mini
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Floor lamp
  • SYMFONISK Picture frame
  • SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)

It’s also worthwhile trying to achieve a device connection SNR level of 45dB or higher in the Sonos App too as mentioned in this Sonos support document:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

Been Waiting weeks to get help #********. I e-mailed Sonos again today the response from Sonos.

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, we're here to help. This email address is no longer monitored, instead you can reach us by submitting your question via the web at http://support.sonos.com. You’ll also find answers to common questions and alternative ways to contact us.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sonos Support

Moderator edit: case number recorded and removed - identifying information

The latest update is a slight improvement. However, you can still not select an album and play all tracks. This makes the app useless with streaming services since as Idagio.

My Sonos system is now just an expensive radio.

It usually finds the system, but not always 

Controls are still sluggish.

It is hard to imagine anyone screwing up a software update worse than Sonos has done. I had dropped back to an image of an earlier release which was great. Sinks then forced me to update to this disaster. I have quit recommending Sonos after years of beings a great salesman. 

People should file a class action against this company. The products were not cheap to buy, and since the app update are utterly unusable. There’s not even an easy Bluetooth option to bypass the wifi connection - which has simply stopped working altogether. The UI is utterly incomprehensible to me. Textbook example of how to kill a once great company with * software updates. The worst experience I’ve ever had with a tech product. Period. Even government departments release better software than this. I’m actually going to take make Sonos speaker and set it on fire, I’m that pissed off with it. It will be a pleasure to watch it melt…

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

The new app (2024 spring/summer) is awful.  I haven’t met one person that thinks it’s improved on the older version.  Please stop sucking, Sonos! We have paid enough to warrant an app that works! 

When is Sonos going to fix this! I’ve invested in a whole house system, amps for every room multiple Bluetooth speakers and it worked perfectly with the original app. Now I can’t even control my music selection volume on off nothing! It works then it doesn’t! It’s ridiculous that the original app was fine and they updated to this garbage!!