Skip to main content

List of Reported Issues with New App

I thought it would be useful to have a comprehensive list of issues with the new app that have been reported in these forums.  Ideally Sonos would have something to track these issues eg. Apple Feedback Assistant, Microsoft Feedback Hub, Bugzilla, etc.  Unfortunately they don’t.  To kick things off, I created the following list using Perplexity.  

Please add missed issue or correct issues misreported.  Please DON’T add comments on how upset you are, or how great the new app is, or engage in dialog.  There are plenty of posts like that already. Just post a one line description of the problem you know of.  

I hope we can create a comprehensive list of issues in one easy to read thread that would be useful to the community and the dev’s.

Playlist and Queue Management Issues

1. Unable to Add Songs to Queue:
    • Users cannot add songs to a playlist or queue. The only available option is "Replace Queue," with no ability to insert a song, "play next," or "add to end of queue"​ (Sonos Community)​.
  2. Playlist Size Limitations:
    • Large playlists, such as those with several thousand tracks, fail to load and give an "Unable to browse music" error.
    • Spotify playlists are limited to displaying only 50 playlists, and playlists are truncated alphabetically, stopping at "K."
    • YouTube Music playlists are truncated at 500 songs​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • The new app has made it difficult to handle large playlists, with some users reporting that playlists with more than 3,000 songs often fail to load completely​ (Sonos Community)​.
  3. Disappearing Playlists:
    • Users have reported that their playlists have completely disappeared after updating to the new app​ (Sonos Community)​.

Music Library and Search Issues

1. Lost Access to Music Library:
    • The app update caused users to lose access to their Music Library, and the option to access it in "Manage My System" is no longer available.
    • Users cannot search their personal music libraries, making it difficult to find specific tracks or albums.
    • Users have reported that the app does not allow them to play music from their local library, which is an essential feature for many​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Local music libraries on NAS drives are not accessible, and users cannot browse or search them​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Search results for music libraries are truncated, and users cannot see the full list of their saved artists and albums​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.

Connectivity and Performance Issues

1. Speaker Detection and Grouping Problems:
    • The app intermittently fails to detect speakers, and users have trouble grouping and ungrouping speakers.
    • The app frequently loses connection with the speakers, making it difficult to manage playback​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Users are unable to add Symfonisk bookshelf speakers to the app despite resetting the device and transferring ownership to the same account​ (Sonos Community)​.
  2. Playback and Connectivity Issues:
    • The app frequently skips songs or returns to the beginning of the playlist, especially when adding or removing speakers from a group.
    • Users have experienced significant connectivity issues, with the app failing to recognize or connect to their speakers consistently​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
  3. General Usability and Performance:
    • The new app is described as slow, unresponsive, and difficult to navigate. Users have reported that it often crashes or fails to perform basic functions like adjusting volume or switching music sources​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
  4. System Crashes and Instability:
  5. Grouping Rooms Issues:
    • Grouping rooms adds rooms not selected, and removing speakers from a group causes the app to hang​ (Sonos Community)​.

Usability Issues

1. Interface and Usability Problems:
    • The new app's interface is described as too busy and confusing, making it difficult for users to navigate and manage their music queues effectively.
    • The app's user interface has poor UX design, making it difficult to navigate and use effectively​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Some users have reported that the app does not display upcoming songs in the queue, making it impossible to see or modify what will play next​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.

Specific Bugs and Errors

1. Voice Assistant Connection Issues:
    • Alexa fails to connect to Amazon, although it connects to Google. This is problematic for users who have their music on Amazon Alexa​ (Sonos Community)​.
  2. YouTube Content Service Error:
    • Saved artists and albums from YouTube Content Service show an error message "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" when trying to play them​ (Sonos Community)​.
  3. Random Volume and Speaker Selection Changes:
  4. Sonos Boost Not Recognized:
    • Sonos Boost is no longer recognized, causing additional connectivity issues​ (Sonos Community)​.
  5. Playlists Default to Looping:
    • Playlists default to being on a loop, which users do not want​ (Sonos Community)​.
  6. Forced Updates:
    • The app forces users to update before they can use Sonos again, causing frustration​ (Sonos Community)​.
  7. Alarm Management Issues:
    • The app does not allow users to manage or edit alarms, which were used extensively by many​ (Sonos Community)​.
  8. Missing Widget for Quick Access:
    • The widget for quick access to Sonos controls is missing from the pull-down panel on mobile devices​ (Sonos Community)​.
  9. System Switching Issues:
    • Users have reported that the app does not remember different Sonos systems (e.g., home and work) and requires rejoining each time they switch locations​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
  10. Individual Volume Control Issues:
    • Users have reported that the app does not allow individual volume control for grouped rooms, forcing all rooms to be at the same volume level​ (Sonos Community)​.
  11. App Freezes When Switching Speakers:
    • The app frequently freezes when switching between speakers, making it difficult to control music playback​ (Sonos Community)​.
  12. Trueplay Tuning Fails:
    • Trueplay tuning fails to complete, causing issues with sound calibration​ (Sonos Community)​.
  13. No Last.FM Integration:
    • The app does not support Last.FM integration, which was available in previous versions​ (Sonos Community)​.

Moderator edit: Merged posts

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unable to pin Amazon Music to the home page. Other services work such as Audible, BBC Sounds etc - when you try any category of amazon music, it instead goes into favourites, however, it’s a dead link as nothing works

Boost shows in web app but not on IOS

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

In other words a complete mess 🤬🤬

Unable to edit Playlists at all

Distorted sound on playbar and beam, can last a couple of days and then plays normally - not home WiFi issue!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In android app.radio station logos not shown 

Intermittent album art from plex library 

Missing artwork for tracks in the Music Library stored on a NAS device.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My perception is that the Sonos system I purchased (and I have quite a few units) has been rendered effectively inoperable by Sonos, and they have failed to remedy the problem within a reasonable period.  I therefore wonder whether it might be possible to take formal legal action, and would be interested to know whether there are any moves afoot to that end.  For example, has anyone heard of any proposals for a class action? 

Userlevel 1

Updates to the Sonos App are clearly causing issues for users that prior to them were not happening.Connection issues/errors now appear to be daily.If I remove apps and reinstall it makes no difference,if I reset my Sonos One it makes no difference,if I reset my router it makes no difference.Come on Sonos, please sort this out.Ive had 2 years of uninterrupted seamless music through my preferred providers and now I get constant errors.For example No Connection,No Music Content, Ignoring Tracks When Selected, Unable To Connect With Provider.It has to be your updates as previously stated it was working fine before.Frustrated is an understatement.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I joined in 2018 and only started posting after the new app rolled out, so no cred. However, the OP has done an amazing job of trying to track the issues in a single place. I just posted (yet) another beef in the big, long thread, but would be great to keep this one focussed on tracking the issues/resolutions in the hope it might give the powers that be something tangible to monitor/rectify. My 2 cents.

Userlevel 2
Badge

No access to stored custom radio stations. These stations where found via the ‘old’ Tunein service and those stations are stored on the Sonos system.

The new Tunein service has the capability to show custom radio stations, but these are stored in your Tunein account, so the source is different, and that list is truncated at 20-30 stations.

I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and Sonos Amp wired to non-Sonos Speakers.

Since the update, the Sonos Amp is useless. The separate volume control for it, when watching TV has gone. The amp produces no sound, and there is no way to turn up the volume.

Trueplay hangs half way through and therefore is also useless. 

The update has turned my £600 Amp into a housebrick.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Group volume control not controlling all of group. Play 1 and Move don’t respond.

radio station logo shows in “my stations” and “recently played” but not on the “now playing” screen (actually just discovered can’t display “Sonos Favourites” atm)

I’m also fed up that we still don’t have Lock Screen controls. Please don’t blame Apple. I’m sure if a low budget radio station can get their app to do it then a major corp like Sonos should be able to sort it out. Oh, sorry, I forgot they can’t even produce a fully working app 🤬

Two completely different situations. The local radio station is ‘playing’ on your device. Your local radio station’s app will play on your device’s speaker.

The Sonos controller isn’t ‘playing’ anything, it is merely reporting to you what is playing on the app running on your speakers.  The Sonos app will not play on your device’s speaker.

Turn on Sonos Roam, waiting until is has wifi

Spotify start, can not found/stream to the Roam. First need to go in the Sonos app, wait until it found the system (if it does), than back to Spotify and only than I am able to select the Roam. 

Sinds last update from yesterday. TruePlay not working anymore, 

I’m also fed up that we still don’t have Lock Screen controls. Please don’t blame Apple. I’m sure if a low budget radio station can get their app to do it then a major corp like Sonos should be able to sort it out. Oh, sorry, I forgot they can’t even produce a fully working app 🤬

Don’t blame Apple?  Well it works on the Sonos Android app, so obviously Sonos will do it if they can.  And Apple very famously doesn’t allow control of 3rd party hardware via their lock screen, because Sonos was using a hack to get around that rule until Apple told them to cease or be taken down from the App Store. 

But we can’t blame Apple?  In what reality does that even make sense?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Amazon Unlimited very unstable since 80.03.03 update, was fine before. Deezer dropped out yesterday apparently... a bit of a trend then. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Missing artwork for tracks in the Music Library stored on a NAS device.

Me too, interestingly and despite the fact cannot actually 'see' the library network addresss anymore and I can't add purchased music, no lib update facility as that's gone for now, the ONLY bit of my system that SORT OF works is my NAS library. Everything else is totally unstable, especially streamed services and room control. 

It's now over 5 weeks of paying for streaming services that don't work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Playlist Size Limitations:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Don’t blame Apple?  Well it works on the Sonos Android app, so obviously Sonos will do it if they can.  And Apple very famously doesn’t allow control of 3rd party hardware via their lock screen, because Sonos was using a hack to get around that rule until Apple told them to cease or be taken down from the App Store. 

But we can’t blame Apple?  In what reality does that even make sense?

How? 

As per the bigger thread, a factory reset of all my speakers, an uninstall/reinstall of the app, and a transfer of ownership to the same registered account finally got the music playing, but I'm now trying to figure out the app. I know the volume is glitchy/slow, but for the life of me can't figure out how to control the volume on an Android without going into the app. I'm pretty sure there used to be a setting that allowed volume control without unlocking the phone and going into the app, but I can't find it anymore.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Do these count as "issues" or user error (Android app)?

1. Can I change the order of the music services?

2. Can I change the order of the speakers?

3. I can't seem to choose which speaker to play music on. It will come out of the living room while my wife's watching TV, and I don't generally play music in that room. I'm just trying to tee up a playlist and then tell it which speakers to play on, but can't figure it out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Specific Bugs and Errors:

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

3. I can't seem to choose which speaker to play music on. It will come out of the living room while my wife's watching TV, and I don't generally play music in that room. I'm just trying to tee up a playlist and then tell it which speakers to play on, but can't figure it out.

To choose a speaker:

On the home screen, tap the name of your system, top left.

That brings up all available speakers/rooms. (Or you can just drag up the ‘now playing’ shape at the bottom of any screen to do the same thing.)

Tap the speaker of choice. That becomes the active speaker.

Any music you then search for and play will play on that active speaker.

(To group speakers, tap the speaker icon in the ‘Now playing’ shape at the bottom of the screen, or on the now playing screen. Tick the speakers you want to play music on, and press Apply. Untick them to ungroup them.)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

To choose a speaker:

On the home screen, tap the name of your system, top left.

That brings up all available speakers/rooms. (Or you can just drag up the ‘now playing’ shape at the bottom of any screen to do the same thing.)

Tap the speaker of choice. That becomes the active speaker.

Any music you then search for and play will play on that active speaker.

(To group speakers, tap the speaker icon in the ‘Now playing’ shape at the bottom of the screen, or on the now playing screen. Tick the speakers you want to play music on, and press Apply. Untick them to ungroup them.)

Thanks again, Rhonny!

I’d have to go back to check how the old app worked (I had installed the old APK, as per your earlier post, but it made me update the app to install new firmware). However, I think I would choose the music first and then which room(s) to play. It would never play in the “Living Room”, but not sure why. I assume it played on the last speakers used, but I think it now uses the first speaker in the list (which is why I had asked about changing the order), though I haven’t paid enough attention TBH.

The app still doesn’t group well and I’m losing speakers in stereo pairs, but I’m now wondering if it’s because I have an old pair of Play 3s in the gym. Just heads-up in case that’s a “thing” (i.e., old speakers that are supported on the S2 app).

Again, thx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sure. Choose the music first, but before you press play, that’s when you tap the room/speaker you want. Then press play. Same thing just the other way around.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Specific Bugs and Errors