Skip to main content

List of Reported Issues with New App

I thought it would be useful to have a comprehensive list of issues with the new app that have been reported in these forums.  Ideally Sonos would have something to track these issues eg. Apple Feedback Assistant, Microsoft Feedback Hub, Bugzilla, etc.  Unfortunately they don’t.  To kick things off, I created the following list using Perplexity.  

Please add missed issue or correct issues misreported.  Please DON’T add comments on how upset you are, or how great the new app is, or engage in dialog.  There are plenty of posts like that already. Just post a one line description of the problem you know of.  

I hope we can create a comprehensive list of issues in one easy to read thread that would be useful to the community and the dev’s.

Playlist and Queue Management Issues

1. Unable to Add Songs to Queue:
    • Users cannot add songs to a playlist or queue. The only available option is "Replace Queue," with no ability to insert a song, "play next," or "add to end of queue"​ (Sonos Community)​.
  2. Playlist Size Limitations:
    • Large playlists, such as those with several thousand tracks, fail to load and give an "Unable to browse music" error.
    • Spotify playlists are limited to displaying only 50 playlists, and playlists are truncated alphabetically, stopping at "K."
    • YouTube Music playlists are truncated at 500 songs​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • The new app has made it difficult to handle large playlists, with some users reporting that playlists with more than 3,000 songs often fail to load completely​ (Sonos Community)​.
  3. Disappearing Playlists:
    • Users have reported that their playlists have completely disappeared after updating to the new app​ (Sonos Community)​.

Music Library and Search Issues

1. Lost Access to Music Library:
    • The app update caused users to lose access to their Music Library, and the option to access it in "Manage My System" is no longer available.
    • Users cannot search their personal music libraries, making it difficult to find specific tracks or albums.
    • Users have reported that the app does not allow them to play music from their local library, which is an essential feature for many​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Local music libraries on NAS drives are not accessible, and users cannot browse or search them​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Search results for music libraries are truncated, and users cannot see the full list of their saved artists and albums​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.

Connectivity and Performance Issues

1. Speaker Detection and Grouping Problems:
    • The app intermittently fails to detect speakers, and users have trouble grouping and ungrouping speakers.
    • The app frequently loses connection with the speakers, making it difficult to manage playback​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Users are unable to add Symfonisk bookshelf speakers to the app despite resetting the device and transferring ownership to the same account​ (Sonos Community)​.
  2. Playback and Connectivity Issues:
    • The app frequently skips songs or returns to the beginning of the playlist, especially when adding or removing speakers from a group.
    • Users have experienced significant connectivity issues, with the app failing to recognize or connect to their speakers consistently​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
  3. General Usability and Performance:
    • The new app is described as slow, unresponsive, and difficult to navigate. Users have reported that it often crashes or fails to perform basic functions like adjusting volume or switching music sources​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
  4. System Crashes and Instability:
  5. Grouping Rooms Issues:
    • Grouping rooms adds rooms not selected, and removing speakers from a group causes the app to hang​ (Sonos Community)​.

Usability Issues

1. Interface and Usability Problems:
    • The new app's interface is described as too busy and confusing, making it difficult for users to navigate and manage their music queues effectively.
    • The app's user interface has poor UX design, making it difficult to navigate and use effectively​ (Sonos Community)​.
    • Some users have reported that the app does not display upcoming songs in the queue, making it impossible to see or modify what will play next​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.

Specific Bugs and Errors

1. Voice Assistant Connection Issues:
    • Alexa fails to connect to Amazon, although it connects to Google. This is problematic for users who have their music on Amazon Alexa​ (Sonos Community)​.
  2. YouTube Content Service Error:
    • Saved artists and albums from YouTube Content Service show an error message "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" when trying to play them​ (Sonos Community)​.
  3. Random Volume and Speaker Selection Changes:
  4. Sonos Boost Not Recognized:
    • Sonos Boost is no longer recognized, causing additional connectivity issues​ (Sonos Community)​.
  5. Playlists Default to Looping:
    • Playlists default to being on a loop, which users do not want​ (Sonos Community)​.
  6. Forced Updates:
    • The app forces users to update before they can use Sonos again, causing frustration​ (Sonos Community)​.
  7. Alarm Management Issues:
    • The app does not allow users to manage or edit alarms, which were used extensively by many​ (Sonos Community)​.
  8. Missing Widget for Quick Access:
    • The widget for quick access to Sonos controls is missing from the pull-down panel on mobile devices​ (Sonos Community)​.
  9. System Switching Issues:
    • Users have reported that the app does not remember different Sonos systems (e.g., home and work) and requires rejoining each time they switch locations​ (Sonos Community)​​ (Sonos Community)​.
  10. Individual Volume Control Issues:
    • Users have reported that the app does not allow individual volume control for grouped rooms, forcing all rooms to be at the same volume level​ (Sonos Community)​.
  11. App Freezes When Switching Speakers:
    • The app frequently freezes when switching between speakers, making it difficult to control music playback​ (Sonos Community)​.
  12. Trueplay Tuning Fails:
    • Trueplay tuning fails to complete, causing issues with sound calibration​ (Sonos Community)​.
  13. No Last.FM Integration:
    • The app does not support Last.FM integration, which was available in previous versions​ (Sonos Community)​.

Moderator edit: Merged posts

Not true across the board though.

There's no telling if people are running the firmware update. There should be an auto prompt for this when the app has updated to be sure everyone’s system is equal when faults are reported.

Certainly! Here's a list of reported issues with the new app:

1. **Crashing on Startup**: Some users experience the app crashing immediately upon opening.

2. **Slow Performance**: The app is slow to respond to user inputs and actions.

3. **Login Problems**: Users encounter difficulties logging into their accounts within the app.

4. **Missing Features**: Expected features are missing or not functioning as intended.

5. **UI/UX Issues**: Users report confusing or unintuitive interface elements.

6. **Battery Drain**: Some users notice significant battery drain while using the app.

7. **Compatibility Issues**: The app does not work correctly on certain devices or operating system versions.

8. **Error Messages**: Users are receiving frequent error messages while using different features of the app.

9. **Syncing Problems**: Issues with data syncing between devices or with external services.

10. **Security Concerns**: Users express concerns about data security or privacy within the app.

This list covers a range of issues that have been reported by users regarding the new app. Each issue should be investigated and addressed to improve the app's functionality and user experience.

Certainly! Here's a list of reported issues with the new app:

1. **Crashing on Startup**: Some users experience the app crashing immediately upon opening.

2. **Slow Performance**: The app is slow to respond to user inputs and actions.

3. **Login Problems**: Users encounter difficulties logging into their accounts within the app.

4. **Missing Features**: Expected features are missing or not functioning as intended.

5. **UI/UX Issues**: Users report confusing or unintuitive interface elements.

6. **Battery Drain**: Some users notice significant battery drain while using the app.

7. **Compatibility Issues**: The app does not work correctly on certain devices or operating system versions.

8. **Error Messages**: Users are receiving frequent error messages while using different features of the app.

9. **Syncing Problems**: Issues with data syncing between devices or with external services.

10. **Security Concerns**: Users express concerns about data security or privacy within the app.

This list covers a range of issues that have been reported by users regarding the new app. Each issue should be investigated and addressed to improve the app's functionality and user experience.

Another one is:

Random muting/setting volume to zero.

I am getting intermittent loss of settings for my ARC/Sub/One SL home theatre setup. When I open the Sonos app, settings have reset to their default settings, e.g. all EQ settings are zeroed, Truplay is off, Speech Enhancement off.

I have found that I need to quit the app and relaunch to get the settings restored. Are the settings now stored in the cloud rather than locally?

I have a Beam elsewhere in the house. The settings issue does not affect it.

Would it not have been quicker for Sonos to stop development of the new app by this point and go back to the start again, rather than tinkering to bring it up to scratch?
It’s a bit like building a sandcastle but finding it hasn’t all come out of the bucket quite right so you keep adding sand to it, patching it up, adding battlements, trying to straighten it up. But ultimately it would have been better to just fill the bucket up with new sand and start again.

OR even better, not kicked down the sand palace that you had built there before… 

Would it not have been quicker for Sonos to stop development of the new app by this point and go back to the start again, rather than tinkering to bring it up to scratch?
It’s a bit like building a sandcastle but finding it hasn’t all come out of the bucket quite right so you keep adding sand to it, patching it up, adding battlements, trying to straighten it up. But ultimately it would have been better to just fill the bucket up with new sand and start again.

OR even better, not kicked down the sand palace that you had built there before… 

Starting again would probably get them to final product quicker but with the current approach they can claim they are making progress 🤣

Pocket Casts and BBC Sounds API integration don’t show play status of podcast episodes. So I cannot see if I’ve not listened to, started or listened to an episode.

The integration with the Qobuz streaming service has lost the ability to display user-created Qobuz playlists and favorites.

There are multiple forum threads on this:

The most informative response on this, from the first linked thread:

Hello!

Our tech team was directly in contact with Sonos and they recognize this is entirely their fault. On our side, there is nothing we can do but wait until it is fixed.

Kind regards,

Charles

Specific Bugs and Error

Specific Bugs and Errors:

Yes this has been going on for a week now. Watching TV and it just goes mute. And I wr night when not in use. No fix date in sight. 

No longer able to manually set the SonosNet channel. 

The “disappearing logo on Now Playing screen” others are reporting is puzzling. On my 3 android devices, the logo reappears when STOPPED, but disappears a second or so after I tap “PLAY”. Maybe they are looking for an album logo that would appear for each track on a playlist, but for a streaming station, there is only one logo, which should be the default.

Could someone at Sonos please confirm you are working on fixing the two “100 item limit” errors with playlists/queue and artist releases?

I suspect these affect all streaming music services (perhaps also local library) but here are examples using Amazon Music. Tested with latest app on iPad (iPad Air 5th gen, iPad OS 17.5.1) and Android (POCO X5, 14 UKQ1.231003.002).

Tested with Sonos iPad app version 80.04.04 and Android app version 80.04.04.

Error 1: "Replace Queue", "Play Now" and "Shuffle" options put only 100 tracks from a playlist to the queue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a playlist with over 100 tracks, e.g. 142, in Amazon Music app
  2. In Sonos app, go to Amazon Music service > My Music > Playlists. Access the playlist. i) tap … > Replace Queue or ii) tap ... > Play Now or iii) tap Shuffle icon.

Erroneous result: only the first 100 tracks are put to the queue.

Expected result: the queue is replaced/added with all the tracks.

Note #1: I tried the same with the older gold icon Sonos app 16.1 Build 78.1.51030 on iPhone 14 Pro iOS 17.6 and it correctly replaced/added the queue with all 142 tracks.
After that also the new black icon app shows the same 142 tracks.

Note #2: the options “Add to End of Queue” and "Play Next" correctly put all 142 tracks to the queue in both old and new app.

Error 2: Cannot browse artist’s all (album) releases because view shows only about 100 items.

Steps to reproduce - using Amazon Music as an example:

1. In Search & Browse field write Miles Davis
  2. In results for Amazon Music tap Miles Davis

Erroneous result: only the first about 100 releases are listed. On 1 July 2024 the last item shown is Miles Davis Quintet: Live in Europe 1967: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1. List does not scroll beyond that when trying to scroll.

Expected result: artist’s all releases are shown. For Miles Davis that is about 166. The last item that should be shown is Birdsong.

Note #3: the old “gold app” correctly shows all about 166 as does Amazon Music app. Sonos app seems to display releases from “Top Albums” list in Amazon Music.

Edit: modified 2nd July 2024

I'm finding the app more buggy than usual over the past few days and have to keep shutting it down and reopening it to get it to do what I want it to do. Also had a few instances of the volume being randomly muted.

Sidenote: Sonos could walk into their homes and confiscate their speakers and the apologists would be straight on here justifying it!

I'm finding the app more buggy than usual over the past few days and have to keep shutting it down and reopening it to get it to do what I want it to do. Also had a few instances of the volume being randomly muted.

Sidenote: Sonos could walk into their homes and confiscate their speakers and the apologists would be straight on here justifying it!

There is not a single Sonos apologist. Only those who might disagree with excessive reactions and hyperbole. Everyone is suffering, just to different degrees. I was accused of being a pro-Sonos troll, on their payroll, the other day, just because I happened to counter someone’s view.

Lazy, lazy posting

There is not a single Sonos apologist. Only those who might disagree with excessive reactions and hyperbole. Everyone is suffering, just to different degrees. I was accused of being a pro-Sonos troll, on their payroll, the other day, just because I happened to counter someone’s view.

Lazy, lazy posting

I guess we all have a few gripes about the App, I’m not sure though if some claims are exaggerated. It’s sometimes leaves me wondering where the truth lies and how much might be ‘trolling’ too.

Since the App launch in May I have resorted to posting some screenshots and screen-capture recordings just to try to show disbelievers that the new App is working here in places where users say it isn’t working for them, just to show it can and does work, at least for some users.

Yesterday, users were claiming it takes up-to 2 minutes just to launch their Sonos App from a fully closed state. Yet it takes around 7 to 8 seconds here on iPhone, iPad and Android (tablet) - I just struggle to see how it can take 2 minutes without their being something else causing that besides, how the App now works/connects.

i accept the App is a little slow in some areas and I’ve expressed that too - my current issue is the short wait after pressing a Play/Pause button to play Amazon Music playlists/albums etc. when browsing the music service, but I can live with that slight delay as shown in the attached recording, but most other things work okay…Like others here, I am looking forward to seeing the new library search and I’m hoping that Sonos later go onto add queue editing and saving it to a playlist and then I will personally be okay with the changes. In any event I’m happy to wait patiently whilst Sonos sort the issues. I can still play to my products both with and without the Sonos App and the hardware is still sounding great here.

I will just add I have recently added the Sonos Ace to my collection and I think that product is "really excellent" too, but that’s perhaps another story. 

Lazy, lazy posting

I guess we all have a few gripes about the App, I’m not sure though if some claims are exaggerated. It’s sometimes leaves me wondering where the truth lies and how much might be ‘trolling’ too.

Since the App launch in May I have resorted to posting some screenshots and screen-capture recordings just to try to show disbelievers that the new App is working here in places where users say it isn’t working for them, just to show it can and does work, at least for some users.

Yesterday, users were claiming it takes up-to 2 minutes just to launch their Sonos App from a fully closed state. Yet it takes around 7 to 8 seconds here on iPhone, iPad and Android (tablet) - I just struggle to see how it can take 2 minutes without their being something else causing that besides, how the App now works/connects.

i accept the App is a little slow in some areas and I’ve expressed that too - my current issue is the short wait after pressing a Play/Pause button to play Amazon Music playlists/albums etc. when browsing the music service, but I can live with that slight delay as shown in the attached recording, but most other things work okay…Like others here, I am looking forward to seeing the new library search and I’m hoping that Sonos later go onto add queue editing and saving it to a playlist and then I will personally be okay with the changes. In any event I’m happy to wait patiently whilst Sonos sort the issues. I can still play to my products both with and without the Sonos App and the hardware is still sounding great here.

I will just add I have recently added the Sonos Ace to my collection and I think that product is "really excellent" too, but that’s perhaps another story. 

I’m blessed with a 3 second opening time from full closed to all thumbnails showing, on my iPhone. And fully responsive on volume and playback (give or take a couple of seconds to start music). So I completely agree with you, the app isn’t broken as such, just broken for some on some networks. 
For balance, I can’t wait for the app to be as good as the old one, not least because i want to edit some playlists that I’m less keen on these days.

I do feel that an app (like movie direction) should be seamless - if people notice it, there is something seriously amiss. 

This thread is a list of issues with the new app. With receipts. Replying saying claims are exaggerated and trolling seems to be what @RJSUK was saying. The gaslighting is pathetic. 

This thread is a list of issues with the new app. With receipts. Replying saying claims are exaggerated and trolling seems to be what @RJSUK was saying. The gaslighting is pathetic. 

..or it’s a case that the the potential truth of the matter can sometimes hurt when people disagree with your viewpoint and I do disagree with yours, often. It’s my prerogative to give a different view and I do try to present the evidence too, as I’ve explained earlier.

Mute issue:
Every night all speakers sets their own volume to “0”. Meaning that the green “mute” light is on all the time, unless you open the app and turn up the volume on each speaker. (has to be done every morning). 

Stability:
Every time opening the app the message “no products found” appear. 
Force close the app and then restart it works. About 10 minuttes later it happens again, if i let the app run in background.

Stability:
Every time opening the app the message “no products found” appear. 
Force close the app and then restart it works. About 10 minuttes later it happens again, if i let the app run in background.

I’m not sure if it will work for you, but perhaps see if switching off location sharing will fix this matter for you. If not, then just enable it again.

Mute issue:
Every night all speakers sets their own volume to “0”. Meaning that the green “mute” light is on all the time, unless you open the app and turn up the volume on each speaker. (has to be done every morning). 

I’m not seeing this issue and I’m not sure what would cause it, but one thing that did spring to mind is a 3rd-party App called Soro can do this sort of thing and I’m just wondering if you maybe using that iOS App and have a shortcut scheduled to mute all speakers? If it’s not that, or a similar 3rd party App, then my thoughts are to let the issue reproduce, then immediately (as soon as practicable) submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

Search is completely broken in Pandora, and has been ever since the “new search” was rolled out in the old app. “Classic search” gives better results, yet they still charged forward with the new search. Still no acknowledgement of the search issue with Pandora. Also removed ability to change Pandora station “modes”. Apparently there are not enough Pandora users for Sonos to give a s***.

Small issue - When I open the latest iOS App 80.04.04 , I get the nag in Recently Played, ‘See what you listened to recently - Turn on’ with a hide option. The hide option doesn’t hide, does nothing.