Skip to main content
Question

Unable to download update, unable to login as “owner”

Unable to login as the system owner. I’ve had the same devices on the same internet, under the same profile, for four years.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

85 replies

Unable to login as the system owner. I’ve had the same devices on the same internet, under the same profile, for four years.

If you guys are having trouble try using a different phone iphone people are having trouble downloading the updated once the update is done on the other phone your regular phone should work. 

If you guys are having trouble try using a different phone iphone people are having trouble downloading the updated once the update is done on the other phone your regular phone should work. If any need help on how to fix the issue feel free to contact me to 760-847-4280 if i dont get to answer please send me a message 

Userlevel 1

Quick update, I found an old Amazon fire tablet in the bottom of my closet. Dusted it off, charged it, updated it, and downloaded the Sonos app. I had to factory reset the speakers but I was able to update the speakers and now I can log in with my apple device. Pretty sad a $50 tablet worked and thousands of dollars worth of Apple devices and Sonos devices couldn’t work it out. Not sure who to blame but ridiculous!!! Hope it helps other peeps 

After 90 minutes on hold, I had a tech walk me through it.  I had to unplug the amps, do a factory reset, and set up the system as a new user.  I also had to delete the Sonos app from my phone and reboot that.  Not ideal, but it only took about 15 minutes (plus the hold time), and my system is back up and running.  The extra wrinkle in my case is that I bought the equipment with my house from the previous owner and had to change the owner of the account.  I hope this helps.

I simply don’t understand this fix including the 90 minute hold time.  If you are going to roll out an upgrade to an app which prevents users from even getting past the login due to some stupid “owner login” requirement than acknowledge the bug and fix it.  I have spent an insane amount of money on all the hardware simply because I think it is great.  The Sonos app has never been good but I didn’t think it was possible to get worse.  For the record, having to factory reset all your speakers (even if it only takes 15 minutes plus hold time) is not an acceptable work around. 

I will just run my system through spotify (which limits which speakers i can combine and play) until Sonos pulls their head out.  Hopefully that is sooner than later.  I heard the How I Built this podcast with John MacFarlane once and I find it hard to believe he would have accepted this level of sloppiness. 

Terrible software update. Agree with all the posts above. I found a workaround using the “owner signin” from the company who originally installed the system. The software still asks for “owner sign-in” on the iphone app. It wont recognise my email that I;ve been using for nearly two years…   

In addition, do not like the functionality of the new software. Not as intuitive as the previous software versions.

Also, what happened to “Sleep Timer”? A function I use every day/night and it is just gone? Did Sonos do any research as to how many users use this feature? I suspect I am not alone. I hope Sonons provides not inly a better update but an apology would go a long way...

Hey Sonos Developers.

You have to fix this bug on the app! I bought a Sonos Arc, tried to add the device on the app. At the moment It asked me to update the Sonos Arc firmware, the app crashes with the but 1002. After that nothing can be done. I tried to add the Sonos Arc again and it's not possible. I do a factory reset and same happen. terrible experience. hope is temporary.

FINALLY I WAS ABLE TO FIND A SOLUTION!

Steps:

1. Install the Sonos app in your app but don't open or login the account (yet)
  2. Find a Windows machine and install the Sonos Windows app.
  3. Perform a factory reset - Sonos Arc (my case)
  4. The Sonos Arc will be reset and start the bluetooth mode
  5. Open your mobile Sonos app, start the register device and at the moment it asks you to update the Sonos Arc, do NOT go to the NEXT step. Go to your windows computer, open the Sonos app, it will recognize the app and do the registration with Sonos Website/System.
  6. Once it it's done. Close your mobile application (force it). 
  7. Open again the mobile App, the Sonos Arc will be there. Now you can upgrade it if necessary. 

YES, those steps are very annoying but worked for me and SONOS Developers have to fix this issue! 

FINALLY I WAS ABLE TO FIND A SOLUTION!

Steps:

1. Install the Sonos app in your app but don't open or login the account (yet)
  2. Find a Windows machine and install the Sonos Windows app.
  3. Perform a factory reset - Sonos Arc (my case)
  4. The Sonos Arc will be reset and start the bluetooth mode
  5. Open your mobile Sonos app, start the register device and at the moment it asks you to update the Sonos Arc, do NOT go to the NEXT step. Go to your windows computer, open the Sonos app, it will recognize the app and do the registration with Sonos Website/System.
  6. Once it it's done. Close your mobile application (force it). 
  7. Open again the mobile App, the Sonos Arc will be there. Now you can upgrade it if necessary. 

YES, those steps are very annoying but worked for me and SONOS Developers have to fix this issue! 

I have the exact same problem and this didnt work for me, the update fails with the windows app too.

I also have a Sub gen 3 that refuses to update.
Tried everything for 2 days, brand new Suround system of Arc, 2 Era 300 and a Sub3 that I still have not managed to listen to…
What a mess!

I found a solution this week after hours and hours of frustration.

I did a hard reset on all of my Sonos devices, deleted and re-downloaded the app, created a brand new Sonos account, added all of the Sonos devices to that account with zero issues, and then transferred the entire system back over to my old Sonos account.

The system is working 100% now. All products registered, recognizes me as the owner, etc.

Hopefully this works for others! Let me know.