Skip to main content
Question

new sonos app released 7th May 2024 issues

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

Hi everyone,

I chatted to James on Sonos website chat this afternoon.  We successfully got all my speakers back into my Sonos app on my phone and laptop on Windows 11.

Difficult to say exactly what fixed the problems, however, this is what we tried:

(Main issue: Soundbar Playbar not registering and therefore did not show in apps, factory reset bricked but the app on phone and on laptop)

1. Rebooted Playbar and tried “Fix it” again - Failed
  2. Signed out of Sonos app on phone
  3. Signed back in
  4. Tried “Fix it” again - WORKED
  5. Sub speaker did not add when trying to join to the Playbar
  6. Rebooted the Sub
  7. Tried adding again - WORKED
  8. Sonos Connect - not showing in Sonos app
  9. Rebooted Sonos Connect
  10. Sonos Connect automatically came back in to the app
  11. During this process, both the Sonos App on phone and laptop decided they needed an update - previously (up above), update and register failed with ‘no update needed’
  12. This time update on both mobile and laptop succeeded and everything droppped in nicely

To say I’m relieved and grateful for the help of James on support is an understatement.

I doubt my earlier issue of going from one system to another is fixed (home to work to home) but I’m mostly happy now.

@AreNa - What is your wi-fi like in the house? Do you have just one network, or several (such as when wi-fi boosters are used).

I’ve found installing a Mesh wi-fi system works really well and even wrote a blog post on it :-)

https://www.anythingit.net/deco-mesh/

That’s basically just a product review not a how to guide but hope it helps!

Thanks Jabbs, I’ll check it out.  I’ve had Nest Wifi Pro for almost a year now.  Netgear Orbi before that.  So, meshes for a while.  I’ve tried wired and wireless setups. I have a boost.  All similar experiences, where music cuts in and out when I group several zones.

Tragic. Music library cannot be added to the system (error 913). “OK”, it’s a known bug. What's more, Sonos favourites (radio stations) that can be played from the laptop won't start from the S2 mobile app ("an error occurred"). What can I do?

I have spent several thousand dollars on this product in the early years and feel like Sonos came into my home and Ripped me off!  Do I call the police and report a crime? With approximately 16 different items (speakers etc) nothing works!  Dear Sonos don’t forget the folks who adopted your systems early on and 30% discount is a slap in the Face!  Somebody, Please tell me there is a work around!!!! 

Radley, 

I’m don’t know why you were polite to Sonos, CEO Patrick Spencer?  He was undeserving any politeness from the customer base he ignored for profits.  I received an email today announcing their new product release within the next couple days - presumably the reason for the rushed software release.  Basically, Sonos sent a big “FU” to its existing customer base with the rushed software release and rubbed it in with its current email announcement!  I will never buy another Sonos product and I will never recommend it again.  I still want the software fixed because I intend to do a thorough search of my next system to stay away from an unreputable company such as Sonos.  Sonos has done irreparable damage to its customer base and their egos are so big they don’t care. 

Apple music service is not working since I updated, can not reset or install again the service. Actually I can not add or modify any service. My 9 sonos speakers are useless at the moment.

So no more sleep timer on this app. Hot garbage.

More like hot ham salad… this is trash until they update- sketchy and inconsistent- drops playlists history etc.- difficult to search by song playlist etc. - switching sucks between household systems- loses devices especially sonos move regularly- loses system regularly -consecutive update fails- overall NOT enough beta testing and completely lost access to S2 which flawlessly worked- c’mon man’

this is gonna be a month before we are good again at earliest….

using iPhone OS 17.4.1 and iPad OS current

Why would you remove the remaining battery charge level indication from the Roam icons and bury it away in the Settings?

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

I honestly Cannot believe the incompetence of SONOS releasing this Complete HACK of an upgrade. Ive invested heavily in SONOS products. If they dont sort this out within a week, Its all going up for sale.

I will move to BOSE. 

Dear Sonos.

We are proud Sonos users and have 8 Sonos products installed throughout our townhouse in Sydney. Everything working in harmony with the amazing Sonos Functionality until 4 days ago we updated to your latest app firmware update, and have had 4 days of utter “hell” with everything from incredibly slow reaction times to linking with Music through Spotify and SoundCloud. To random

Tracks being dropped into and on top an already playing song. 

Separating speaker systems that have been melded with calculated intent. 

AND, have left a very lovely Sonos One that cannot be reconnected to the system.

Your update is a FAIL.

Be better SONOS!

Get to work Fast, iron out the bugs, or else risking a long serving customer moving to a better and way more reliable product with an interface that actually works.

Please respond promptly.

As you tell from tone - Not Happy.

Dan Freene

Sydney Australia

Does Sonos listen? Have they responded? The new app is 💩

SONOS has not responded. I waited on the customer Support phone line for over an hour, before giving up, AND here is the Clincher, over the last two dayds I have had 2 Ads come through one of the speakers. I honestly Cannot believe how terrible this behavior is from SONOS. 

It is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH…!!

Curiouser and curiouser!  My main use of Sonos is in my living room, which has automatically changed to the disastrous update on my iPads.   I also have a stereo pair in my study that had the S2 app on my iMac that has not functioned for a long time and has been refused updates.  Today, however, the S2 app has suddenly reappeared fully functioning properly! 

Is Sonos starting to re-release the old S2 again bit by bit on different operating systems or is this just a miracle on my iMac?!

I have a iPhone and used SonoPhone to reconnect my 23 Sonos devices. It costs $2.99 on the Apple Store. The only fix to this recurring theme is a new business mission by Sonos - new management. It’s best to never buy another Sonos product because when you buy their product releases you support why they release these half baked software releases. They don’t care about existing customers. It’s all about the next sale. Hell, they dropped accessibility features from their recent release.  They care for no one!

I’ve got this Sonos system at home. I also install it for a living and the new app seems to be a complete s##t show. Can’t add music to the queue you can only replace the queue, can’t seem to register new products at the moment unless you’re fortunate enough to have the old app running on one of your devices can’t group my own Speakers together at home this seems to be the case for my customers myself and the stuff we’ve got on show in the shop

On the Sonos support website:

Known issues and workarounds

"Sign in as the System Owner" error while updating products during setup

• Workaround: No workaround currently available.

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

That’s nice, 😡

I have given up now.  Too much time invested in this.  I tried to use my Move as a simple blurtooth speaker but, of course, because of the app I can’t set it up on Wi-Fi and according to the setup guidance, 

So it’s even more useless.

What a piece of shit…. I’ve got 3 android devices I use for my Sonos speaker, and none would connect after the forced update. When I do manage to get one to connect, it loses the connection sometime later. I can’t even comment on the other bugs noted here, because I haven’t been able to connect and use it long enough. Seriously, the Sonos folks should pull this update until they’ve resolved the bugs, and restore the old version which worked near flawlessly for me. It’s beyond me how a major company such as Sonos could put this out without adequate testing.

I have the exact same issue with everything is grey except for Services. And I am absolutely dumfounded that the best feature, adding a song to the queue, and adjusting the queue is GONE! How the hell am I meant to dj? The app is now almost useless...I can only play one album at a time through Spotify.

I was on with Chat Support for ages and they ended up telling me to call. Wasn't permissions issue. I called, was on hold for 90 minutes, then on with service person for an hour and the conclusion was they are still working on the app. "Within a few weeks, hopefully" was the answer as to when it might not be totally crap. It was fine before. Why can't we go back? Ridiculous!

Surround Audio speaker distance feature removed. Please add back 

Is the new version called Horizon? My UK colleagues will understand the reference, but let’s hope Sonos don’t adopt a Post Office stance - deny, deny, deny - fess up and get sorted now!

It’s obvious that this release was rushed to allow compatibility for their new headphones being released.  It’s no different than the S1-S2 fiasco.  They got away with it then and will try to keep getting away with it until we stop buying their new products.  Remember the slogan - Just say no!   Make a promise to yourself not to buy any new Sonos products until there is management, from the Board down, that values existing customers.  Their stock is going nowhere, which is the cause of all this.  However, in their shortsightedness, they forgot that a large part of their recommended new business comes from existing customers.  I tolerated the S1 to S2 move on the basis it would be better in the long run.  But, this fiasco shut down my system.  It’s just too much to forgive!  My biggest regret is the number of people that I recommended Sonos to over the years. 

Here is what i recieved

You got me needlessly excited with an update Sonos. Didn’t last long #💩app

I fully agree! Since the new update i have the same problem when i switch between locations. Please fix.