Do not buy from Sonos

• 8 February 2020
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I urge you to not buy anything from Sonos until they sort out their end of life procedures.

I have spent well over £5000 pounds with them in the last four years.

I was informed by email by them that two of my devices costing £800 would be obsolete in May and would no longer work with the rest of my devices.

Stay away until and if they sort out their problems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

I have a similar disbelief anytime I read one of your posts and wonder how someone can be so obtuse. Its good you’re finally understanding simple statements of logic. In addition to the remote possibility that someone only gets 5 years of use out of their Sonos devices, there is also an increasing probability that it happens each and every day thereafter. This gets back to the core of many people’s concern. Will Pandora or Spotify go dark a week, a month, 6 months, much longer, after updates cease? No one here knows, but we do know and can now agree on that we are only guaranteed 5 years after last date of manufacture..

Fixed it for you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I have a similar disbelief anytime I read one of your posts and wonder how someone can be so obtuse. Its good you’re finally understanding simple statements of logic. In addition to the remote possibility that someone only gets 5 years of use out of their Sonos devices, there is also an increasing probability that it happens each and every day thereafter. This gets back to the core of many people’s concern. Will Pandora or Spotify go dark a week, a month, 6 months, much longer, after updates cease? No one here knows, but we do know and can now agree on that we are only guaranteed 5 years after last date of manufacture..

Fixed it for you!

Correct, as I’ve stated multiple times previously, Mr. Pot.

Based on e mails received in January I deceded to bite the bullet and trade in my old Sonos 5 Gen 1, which cost me several hundred pounds some time ago, and ordered a new Sonos 1, reluctant to spend more on something that might stop working agin in the near future.

I ordered the Sonos 1 on the 24th January and effectivley set the clock running on it being deactivated today.

Low and behold on the 25th January I get an e mail from Mr Spence telling me not to worry , my old equipment will continue to work.

Where do I stand now, I have purchased a speaker I did not really need and now have an old Sonos 5 speaker that is now deactivated.

Anybody know if they can reactivate it and I can return the Sonos 1 and get my money back.

I have not returned home yet today, but when I get home, will I have an old speaker that has effectively shut down ??? Anybody know what happens when a speaker is deactivated.

Not happy !!! 

Based on e mails received in January I deceded to bite the bullet and trade in my old Sonos 5 Gen 1, which cost me several hundred pounds some time ago, and ordered a new Sonos 1, reluctant to spend more on something that might stop working agin in the near future.

I ordered the Sonos 1 on the 24th January and effectivley set the clock running on it being deactivated today.

Low and behold on the 25th January I get an e mail from Mr Spence telling me not to worry , my old equipment will continue to work.

Where do I stand now, I have purchased a speaker I did not really need and now have an old Sonos 5 speaker that is now deactivated.

Anybody know if they can reactivate it and I can return the Sonos 1 and get my money back.

I have not returned home yet today, but when I get home, will I have an old speaker that has effectively shut down ??? Anybody know what happens when a speaker is deactivated.

Not happy !!! 

I would contact Sonos directly.

But at no time did Sonos suggest that legacy speakers would not work at all after May 2020.  There was a clarification - or a change, depending on what you believe - that bug fixes and security patches would still be provided to legacy devices.  

There was an implication that if you contined to use Gen1 with Gen 2 products quaility would be comprimised 

There was an implication that if you contined to use Gen1 with Gen 2 products quaility would be comprimised 

Not even implicated, it was explicitly stated.  In order to keep legacy and modern devices on the same system, you would need to run legacy software on all devices.  Which is logical.   In a system where devices interact so closely, the lowest common denominator determines what the system can do.  

Sonos has said they will do some maintenance updates but have not defined what that means or for how long so definitely agree.

Sooner or later Services like Spotify will not work anymore which renders my devices useless.

I´m very disappointed about this decision because it´s just a matter of time until all my sonos products like play 1 or play 3 will stop working. In my point of view this will render sonos out of business soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Or you could worry about the prediction that your Sonos devices will not play Spotify when the moment comes Spotify won’t work. FYI the Play:1 is a fairly recent model, so should have at least four years of life in it. The Play:3 has been out of production longer, but I read it’s memory is rather large, so chances are it will also last for a couple of years more.

To this point, as far as I’m aware, in the life of Sonos, there’s been a single change in the Spotify stream. Sonos came out in 2005, so that’s in 15 years, just a single change. The possibility of another change is not zero, but I’d estimate that it is close to it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

To this point, as far as I’m aware, in the life of Sonos, there’s been a single change in the Spotify stream. Sonos came out in 2005, so that’s in 15 years, just a single change. The possibility of another change is not zero, but I’d estimate that it is close to it.

Do you mean that you think there is a near zero chance that the stream gets changed/broken for Sonos in the near future, or do you mean ever? Spotify didn’t launch in the US until 2011, so at the minimum, there has been one change to the stream that could have potentially broken the Sonos ability to stream (without software update) within the past 9 years and that was last year. There may have been others that we are unaware of. I have no idea how often this happens. Your supposition that it has happened just once may very well be true. But, I’d be willing to bet that it happens again at some point in the future. I don’t have a crystal ball, so I can’t say when, but if we are talking about the entire future of these companies, I’d say the chance of it happening again is pretty high and not near zero.