End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This whole mess has killed the concept of whole home audio solotions like sonos, all the other types of home system is going to be prone to this, other manufacturers must be equally hating sonos at this point for showing the weakness in these type of meshed network systems. Hence if I do invest in another system I will get one or maybe two devices and scrap the whole home audio thing. Or possibly convert my old sonos to dumb speakers and get a central device to stream from. This is my favoured route A. My exposure to this type of event will be minimal and B. the cost will be minimal. I now have got the email from our mate Patrick and I'm not even going to waste my time in a response. I think the routes sonos can really now take and that is exchange like for like our systems for these new units, find a way to upgrade our units at there cost via your local vender. But upgrades with any % reduction will just not cut it, split systems will not cut it, the envoiromentl cost won't cut it. I think sonos won't change there mind on this which is a shame as my system works as expected at this time but maybe the shareholders meeting might be a glimmer of hope as they can force sonos to change there view so I urge our US users to get just one share and attend that meeting and force the minds of the ostriches at sonos.

Couldn’t agree more. As mentioned in my previous post, I still have my Rotel amp and Pioneer turntable bought in 1976, and also my Technics CD player from the 90s. Now I just need to retrieve my vinyl and CD collections from the attic, connect it all up to my Tannoy speakers and I’m all set! And it’s all 100% future proofed, no pesky software updates necessary 😀

My wife said can she have her radio back.

another aspect to this is the song artists won't get there streaming fees for user listening to there music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This article nicely sums up the difficult position Sonos has put itself in. https://www.slashgear.com/sonos-nightmare-was-inevitable-24607638/

The reality is that if they had said.

Dear users of older Sonos products, from May your legacy product will get a final firmware update, that will lock in the features it has, and from that time on, newer firmware versions will be released with functions, not available on the older hardware, to your newer sonos speakers.

Your older hardware will still retain the core functionality of streaming MP3 music, music from streaming services like spotify, and internet radio stations like today.

If these services change their streaming format, we will do our best to see if we can make an update to the legacy software but if this is not technically possible, you might at that time, loose some functionality.

We are deeply sorry that we need to take this step, but the hardware inside these speakers is rather old now, and it will probably not be able to keep up forever, but we will do our best to make it work for as long as it is technically possible.

We will contact you again when something “breaks” and we are not able to fix it because of hardware limitations and ask you to make a decision on, whether to live on with that functionality missing or if you would at that time like to trade in the speaker for a discount.

THIS letter would have been WAY better received, most people would understand the technical perspective and understand that Sonos would do what it could to keep the legacy products working.

Corporate greed, build a great product and brand and then knock it down like a jenga towel by taking out the bottom bricks #boardroomballsuosonos how stupid !!! Count me out of future purchases . Dickheads 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can totally do this with a pi. Part of this whole thing is a plan by Sonos to get us to spend money upgrading, when they could have done workarounds.

I would imagine so yes.

But i have not found any “Take an audio stream from the internet, transcode it to another format and retransmit it as a stream” programs for the PI.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

From the Roon support site. Someone asked the question and got the following answer from a Roon developer.

benRoon Labs: Developer

17h

My question is if Roon will continue to support the Sonos Connect after May. Since it appears that Roon’s software is controlling the Connect unit, can I make the assumption that we should be able to use our Sonos Connect units with the Roon software if the upcoming Roon updates supports the Connect Unit?

Yes, you can assume that. Making things like this keep working is what we do, and I’d like to think we’re good at it.

If that is the case then there may be an easy solution

Looks very intreasting indeed.

The message from Patrick Spence is welcome but it beggars belief that a corporation the size of Sonos can get it this wrong. Very pleased to see that the Customer remains king! What has still not been addressed is the environmental impact of the still bricked returned units if I decide to upgrade at some stage. What is happening to these?

4. There is quite an amount of anger on here.  It's very understandable, given people have made big investments.  A number of users seem to be making a big effort to hurt the company with bad ratings on Amazon and elsewhere.  But from the many reviews I've read over the last few years of Sonos and the alternatives, it does seem to be that in terms of audio quality and reliability, Sonos is still one of the very best products in the wireless speaker market.  And it looks like most or all of the competitors' control apps are poor.  If Sonos were to be bought by Apple or Google, or to go out of business, the end of life date for all Sonos products would be much earlier than if Sonos continues to grow.  And then we'd be forced to switch to a poorer setup.  

Great post, and I can agree with you that Sonos is a good product.

However, back at the start of 2018 my whole five-zone Sonos system was acting up. I lost countless hours and days trying to diagnose it, support brushed it off as being a problem with my network but I replaced the switch with a managed one just so I could Wireshark the Sonos traffic.

In despair I bought a Bluesound Node 2 to start replacing the Sonos... and it was great!

The controller wasn’t as good as Sonos, but it was steadily improving while Sonos’ offering was getting less polished and usable with each update. The hardware was beautiful - and far better specs than even the latest Sonos models released since. Anyone familiar with the Sonos products would be at home with Bluesound - they have the equivalent of ZP80/90/Connect, ZP100/120/Connect:Amp, phone apps and even a desktop controller (PC/Mac). It plays music from your NAS (I still use Samba shares). The even have their own NAS but it’s not necessary. The only bummer is that, being quite similar to Sonos, they chose to differentiate themselves by being even more expensive.

But then I had two incompatible systems, Bluesound and Sonos. The only link between the two was through Line In, which caused delays and meant I needed to use two apps - one to select the music (Bluesound), one to control the volume (of the Sonos players feeding off Bluesound). Needless to say, this is not going to give the best sound quality and could only work as a temporary solution while upgrading Sonos for Bluesound one by one. An expensive proposition.

After a while and another round of factory resets, the Sonos system eventually started working again. I cancelled plans to switch over, because it was an unnecessary cost. I stayed with Sonos because of compatibility and put the Bluesound Node 2 on eBay.

If I had known that Sonos was going to impose the same situation on all its early customers as the one I faced above, I would have put the Sonos gear on eBay and proceeded with the switch to Bluesound and to hell with the cost.

I looked at Bluesound a while back. Have been again. It’s down to the Node 2i and one other from Arylic. I thought the Node 2i had variable output available; did the Node 2 not, or did you just not use it? I’m not switching to anything whole-house again. I’m just going in on a single *real* streamer for my main stereo setup, and if it can feed whole-house (via my Connect much like you did back then) that’s fine - I don't have much need for more. When I’m feeding other rooms even now with Sonos directly (or if my wife is) we’re usually not paying close attention or skipping tracks . At least Bluesound seems to have leaned in more toward the audio side and less so the convenience side of the market. Will be nice to have hi-res streaming options for listening sessions in the main room. Frankly, the new Port is a downgrade from Connect in many respects and an enormous disappointment to me. Factor in that I *have* to do something in the not-so-distant future regarding the Connect…. well, considering everything now and before, it isn’t Sonos it seems. My main traditional audio has been with me for years and years (Connect currently feeds my old Marantz 2235b and out to a nice stereo pair. Simple. Clean.) I used to have many more components but decided I didn’t care enough anymore to run it all (a small collection of receivers all let go some years back among other bits). The Marantz is small and a sound I love for most genres.

End of ramble. This ain’t the end of the world. I’ll run my Sonos speakers just as a network set until they run into the ground. Happy to stay legacy honestly at this point. In my humble opinion Sonos has spent far too much time talking to Alexa and her friends the past few years. I’d just like to listen to music.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You can totally do this with a pi. Part of this whole thing is a plan by Sonos to get us to spend money upgrading, when they could have done workarounds.

I would imagine so yes.

But i have not found any “Take an audio stream from the internet, transcode it to another format and retransmit it as a stream” programs for the PI.

search for audio stream transcoder

there are several out there

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Looked at Roon, my god price put me right off and a subscription is needed. I'm not get caught again.

Userlevel 1

This is shocking, it feels like “upgrade and pay us or else...”. Unless they change direction I will never buy another Sonos product again. I have 6 speakers currently and have spent thousands of pounds. 

Agreed!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Looked at Roon, my god price put me right off and a subscription is needed. I'm not get caught again.

I’ve just looked at it and come away feeing more positive. When I have to replace the sonos kit it will be for ‘dumb’ speakers that use standard, long-lasting protocols to communicate with a smart single central controller that can be replaced easily.

On first glance Roon seems a good fit for that. 
Thankyou to the posters who have mentioned it 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

The message from Patrick Spence is welcome but it beggars belief that a corporation the size of Sonos can get it this wrong. Very pleased to see that the Customer remains king! What has still not been addressed is the environmental impact of the still bricked returned units if I decide to upgrade at some stage. What is happening to these?

Sadly the customer does not remain king. The message simply says we’re going to do what we said in the first place - stop updating software on your ‘legacy’ units (they might update bug/security aspects but they will potentially still stop working as soon as a streaming service updates its API). And if you want to keep using your legacy units while they last, they won’t interface with any new units you buy (or any “modern” units you own if you dare to update the software on them) - you will have to have two systems.

Userlevel 1

How to lose your previously loyal customer base in one fell swoop.  Market a product as being at the heart of a system, let your customers buy three of them, then announce you are stopping proper support for the software a year later.  Mmm, what do I do?  Do I “recycle” by spending a few thousand more on a company that just ripped me off or do I go elsewhere?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

So I read the apology and frankly it has not assuaged my concerns. We will continue to support for as long as we can? What a week, month, year? How about clarifying just what it is that will cease to work as time marches on, the speakers are in essence a dumb WiFi receiver, still on 2.4ghz WiFi, the standards of data transmission over WiFi not tied to Sonos so that’s not gonna change, the streaming services using industry standards to play the music, mp3, mp4 etc, not controlled by Sonos. The processing of the packet data to send over WiFi has to come via the app and the software within your laptop, iPad or phone etc. Exactly what does the speaker do but convert the WiFi packet data and that isn’t set to change anytime soon or every other WiFi device will also stop working? 

Fyi small format stereo amps less than £100, echo dot with 3.5mm stereo out £40 ( arguably disposable ) speakers of your choice, upgrade proof with the ability to connect whatever you want to the amp as well and voice control……..

I will use my Sonos speakers for the time being but I will never again spend another penny of my hard earned on a Sonos product

It is clear the company is planning obsolescence of the products and using smoke and mirrors to confuse their intentions. The reply fromPatrick is disingenuous and offers nothing that was not in the original email save an unquantifiable promise to not screw us over just yet! I’m guessing they will give it a month or so, wait for the international media glare to die down from their massive PR cockup and then carry on with their initial intentions

Sorry Sonos but I, and I’m guessing a few thousand more like minds, am done with your products... 

If any here are light on cash but like to tinker, these guys have some really cool stuff that’s whole-home capable, lots of it DIY, and some pre-fab. All runs of the 4Stream app. Bit of a wild-west but could be fun. I’ve been tempted for a bit, and their newest S50 is spec’d nicely. Quite a few favorable reports around about he A50 (amplified) which has been around for a bit. Could fab your rigs with just a speaker or set. I’d wager there’d be some headaches… but definitely cheap.

https://www.arylic.com/collections/diy-audio

Userlevel 2

Roon can send to Sonos speakers. $ 119/ year and it is suggested it can send to legacy and new, basically making a single network out of the split network. It needs to be seen whether that is the case but if it is then all the Sonos stuff remains working. IF it is the case then it may be a working solution. 
It is used by a lot of genuine “high end”audio streaming manufacturers so is not fly by night and has had high reviews by reputable Audio magazines.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sadly the customer does not remain king. The message simply says we’re going to do what we said in the first place - stop updating software on your ‘legacy’ units (they might update bug/security aspects but they will potentially still stop working as soon as a streaming service updates its API). And if you want to keep using your legacy units while they last, they won’t interface with any new units you buy (or any “modern” units you own if you dare to update the software on them) - you will have to have two systems.

But if you look at some media comments, there may be a glimmer of hope that, whatever may have been their original intention, they are saying the issue was the inability of older units to be updated with capacity hungry modern updates. If one can’t update, none can.  Therefore looking to split system for updates so each generation receives appropriate updates.  One comment says looking then to see if old and new can work together… but does say not sure if they can… look at my earlier posts and you can see the development/ reference points of these arguments.. If this can be made to work with newer units accessing new features but old ones like out from them, but all units working together when requirement is within their capability, then I’m as happy as I was before and will upgrade when I feel the need to have the newer features… If whole home grouping not possible, then I remain angry… 

Userlevel 1

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This smacks of greed and deception in play. You have a big task ahead of you to earn back the trust of your current and, if any, future customers. I suspect there is a potential for a class action against Sonos in the way you have gone about selling your wares to so many consumers. Plenty of back pedalling required to avoid the strong threat of being sued especially by the litigious US community.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Patrick Spence

Thanks for the update email, which fails to address the fundamental issue.

Try listening again.

THE LEGACY AND MODERN UNITS MUST CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER - NOT SPLIT SO THAT I CANNOT PLAY SYNCHRONISED MUSIC ACROSS MY HOME.

Please go away and speak to your developers who will tell you how much effort this is, then come back once more to tell us it’s sorted.

Look at my recent posts for media mentions that they may be looking at this… they say it may not work but its worth reiterating that if they get old/ new to patch together for whole home grouping, even if having to split for update purposes, then I’m happy once more

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This sucks big time!

No more sonos for me..

I have 2 Play 5 gen 1 and bought one play 1 for my dad

Now they want me to throw away those at the local dump store with a lock in the so called trade in system… and give me a 30% discount… Thats not how you treat a costumer… And now when you also have gone together with ikea, do u think their customers will like it when they find out?!

I will use this system til their not longer supported and then Bye Bye…

Adios Sonos..

Userlevel 3

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

I am so sorry. But damage done for me. I will run my ‘old’ products until they do not work any more. And then I will switch to a more sustainable system. We cannot in this day and age of focus on sustainability have products that are not supported after 5 years.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It is unclear to me why it is necessary to insist that the SonosNet would have to be split or legacy systems and newer systems can't coexist together. I am a software developer, so my background is primarily software, not hardware, but taking a page out of something I've seen Azure do, why not have each device have a list of capabilities that it supports? Then, each feature that is supported has capabilities that it requires. It is simply then a matter of matching capabilities when a feature is executed.

For example
Play:5 Gen1, Capabilities: A, B, C

Play:5 Gen2, Capabilities: A, B, C, D, E

If I want to execute feature "D" (maybe Atmos?), then the app only shows "D" as the speaker that can be used. If I want to say, just listen to music off a network drive ("A"), then both are enabled for use (in the 'grouping' function).

This is entirely obvious to anyone who works in technology and is indeed the sort of principle that’s woven throughout 99% of everything that’s plugged in to the internet. It’s the basic concept that allows a 10 year old smartphone and a brand new top end PC to access the same internet at the best level each can experience 

The reasons Sonos are doing this are not technical, they’re business. I would imagine that there are plenty of technical staff at Sonos quietly raging about the situation the profiteering short term management have pushed them in to. 

aT last, someone thinks like me!  I got aggressively shot down by a community member and called ridiculous for suggesting exactly this.  If you look at my posts, there are some media posts hinting that the issue has been caused by not all players being able to swallow the forthcoming software, thereby blocking updates if all can’t update.  Logical therefore to split software/ updates into groups.  There’s a hint that once software installed at appropriate levels, the speakers can again communicate within their capabilities.  If some new feature is out of reach of legacy unit, then for that feature, it can’t be grouped or is locked out.  Spence makes no promise it’ll work but says they are looking at it… so IF we can again have whole home grouping for current features (but perhaps not for say Hi-res), and old speakers are supported at their current level, then I’m happy once more. Upto me if and when I then upgrade legacy speakers...

No one is listening to the people who got Sonos to where they are today - the customer.

30% trade in is an insult

Sonos have badly got this wrong. If I could trade in my sonos with Bose, that would be my first choice. 

Userlevel 3

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

This sucks big time!

No more sonos for me..

I have 2 Play 5 gen 1 and bought one play 1 for my dad

Now they want me to throw away those at the local dump store with a lock in the so called trade in system… and give me a 30% discount… Thats not how you treat a costumer… And now when you also have gone together with ikea, do u think their customers will like it when they find out?!

I will use this system til their not longer supported and then Bye Bye…

Adios Sonos..

Completely agree. I have 3 old 5s and an old bridge. And 2 new 5s, 2 new 1s, a new soundbar and a new sub. So have made a big investment (for me). I will  run it until it does not work anymore but NO way I buy another product!

Join me… Go to your Local IKEA and print out the info to share with others and use facebook!!!