End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I was angry, very angry … but if they can come up with a solution which enables all speakers, old and new, to work seamlessly with features extant today, and new features possibly being restricted to modern units, then I'm happy once more….Refer to earlier posts where I’ve picked up glimmers of such hope in media (BBC/Evening Standard/ Slashgear)

There are a few posts on here who can also see this through the fog of hysteria, which to my eyes might be lifting (slightly) and hope these thoughts are picked up by Ryan S and reported back ….

Whilst I can appreciate the stance as of now you’ve caused irreparable damage to your company. You were made popular by the people who bought your products and trusted your brand, however the people can just as easily avoid your brand and go elsewhere. Sonos do not have monopoly and this brazen ignorance and arrogance by which you’ve alienated your loyal customers and I’ll not be forgotten. Your intention was your original action and had the people on this forum not stood up to you, you were happy to get away with it. Shame on you and the inevitable reduction of the size of Sonos as a brand. The damage is done.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Appreciate the apology, but the Exec Team at Sonos need to give very careful thought to their next step….

MY HOME SYSTEM MUST NOT BE SPLIT AND MY OLD SPEAKERS MUST KEEP PLAYING MUSIC

Key points:

1. The only reason for investing in SONOS is to stream and listen to music in unison around the house
  2. I do not want to talk to the speakers
  3. I do not want the speakers to talk to me
  4. Surely it must be possible to up date the “new” speakers and the old speakers carry on working perfectly as they do now just playing music
  5. I really do wish I had simply invested in just the SONOS Connect amp connected to plain old speakers hard wired through the house. Then is is just the amp at risk
  6. If Sonos do not change their position so that speakers keep working for 20yrs+ I will NEVER buy another SONO speaker and will replace my system with traditional speakers when they eventually stop working. My 10 year old Focal speakers in the front room connected to the SONOS amp will still sound stunning in 20 years (each speaker cost less than a Play 5)
  7. This is not like buying a mobile phone where it is OK to replace every few years - many like me have invested £1000’s - I will not risk any future investment if I can not be sure my very expensive speakers will keep working
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Join me… Go to your Local IKEA and print out the info to share with others and use facebook!!!

Suggest we back off damaging the brand and give them short time to come back with a road map of possibilities… no doubt they’ll be kicking arse, scratching heads this weekend… what we want is whole home grouping for all current features on all devices and the ability to also access newer features on modern units… a bit like introduction of voice control/ Airplay2 - issue may simple be software for next new features too big to handle for legacy… few ideas of work rounds… give them a short breathing space to draw breath and come back… if its not deliverable, then back to war… treat this as a Christmas Day game of football in the trenches …

Last thing we want to do is PERMANENTLY DAMAGE Sonos and OUR kit if there is a way forward … IF

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Appreciate the apology, but the Exec Team at Sonos need to give very careful thought to their next step….

Key points:

1. The only reason for investing in SONOS is to stream and listen to music in unison around the house
  2. I do not want to talk to the speakers
  3. I do not want the speakers to talk to me
  4. Surely it must be possible to up date the “new” speakers and the old speakers carry on working perfectly as they do now just playing music
  5. I really do wish I had simply invested in just the SONOS Connect amp connected to plain old speakers hard wired through the house. Then is is just the amp at risk
  6. If Sonos do not change their position so that speakers keep working for 20yrs+ I will NEVER buy another SONO speaker and will replace my system with traditional speakers when they eventually stop working. My 10 year old Focal speakers in the front room connected to the SONOS amp will still sound stunning in 20 years (each speaker cost less than a Play 5)
  7. This is not like buying a mobile phone where it is OK to replace every few years - many like me have invested £1000’s - I will not risk any future investment if I can not be sure my very expensive speakers will keep working

Agree - see my other posts

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I was angry, very angry … but if they can come up with a solution which enables all speakers, old and new, to work seamlessly with features extant today, and new features possibly being restricted to modern units, then I'm happy once more….Refer to earlier posts where I’ve picked up glimmers of such hope in media (BBC/Evening Standard/ Slashgear)

There are a few posts on here who can also see this through the fog of hysteria, which to my eyes might be lifting (slightly) and hope these thoughts are picked up by Ryan S and reported back ….

It's not happening.  New units once updated will not be able to synchronise with legacy units.  As soon as only the latest software will work with spotify etc, legacy units are landfill.

Sonos could choose to implement software that will allow newer units to be a master to legacy units and keep them all part of one environment.  Or they could develop a control box to sit on the network and do this.

The truth is they dont want to, it's far easier to cut loose the "legacy" hardware and hope people will upgrade.  If you are sat on £3k worth of connect amps, tough.  Sonos dont want to know.  They are moving to a 5 year premium subscription model for their hardware and that's it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

For those who of us who took the plunge and upgraded..

Revoke the brick schedule and let us keep the legacy unit

I wouldn't have traded up if I'd read your most recent hasty announcement about running legacy and modern separately!

Another mess to add to your stupid way of competing in today's tech market.

As a gesture of goodwill!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve posted a couple of responses and spent hours reading through everyone else's whilst waiting for the ‘heat’ to disperse.

Seems like our loyal Sonos community comprises of a number of different types but principally 2 main ones:-

1. Those with extensive existing speaker set ups who added Sonos components, presumably to enhance the functionality of their existing systems

2. Those, like me, without an existing speaker system but who liked the idea of streaming their music collections throughout their homes and wanted a simple system that just worked.

The one thing that many of us have in common seems to be a lack of interest in ‘new features’!

I am not totally dumb but I don’t have a highly technical understanding of how these systems work. Everyone keeps mentioning APIs on the assumption that we all what they’re talking about - I don’t. When Sonos have introduced components such as Connects, Boosts, Ports and goodness knows what else I didn’t understand what they were or what they did. As a result I have a very simple Sonos set up comprising 3 ‘legacy’ Play 5s and 2 ‘modern’ but discontinued Play 1s. I also have a Bridge that came with the initial Play 5 which I still use but know isn’t any longer always necessary.

Because I don’t understand much of the jargon being used in this discussion please forgive me if this post sounds over simplistic.

I’d been considering buying a Beam ever since I bought a new Samsung TV  last year but it was a big expense and being rather ‘frugal’ I was waiting for a good discount. On Jan 5th this year I was in my local Curry’s store (UK retailer) and the Beam was reduced to £319.99, the cheapest I had seen it so I bought one, brought it home and immediately set it up.

When the Sonos bomb dropped in the form of their e mail announcement it gave me a quandary. Do I keep the Beam and hope that Sonos find a way to allow it to integrate with my ‘legacy’ Play 5s without losing the option for it to receive updates, or do I return it? As an in-store purchase, having now unsealed the packaging and set it up it wouldn’t ordinarily qualify for a refund. I have e mailed Curry’s to ask, in view of the fact that it ‘might’ not now integrate with my system - the purpose for which it was intended, and received an auto response saying they’ll reply within 6 days. As the price at Curry’s has since risen back up to £399.99 I could probably easily sell it on Ebay, possibly for more than I paid, so that is another option but selling on Ebay can be a hassle.

Leaving that aside for a moment, a few months ago some of you may remember there was a widespread problem with alarms whereby the chosen alarm, in my case TuneIn radio, would be replaced by Chimes. Along with many others I was in touch with Sonos Support, who I might just say were absolutely brilliant as they always have been on other issues in the past. The chimes problem which turned out to be a TuneIn issue, was resolved but during the course of my contact with support I mentioned other problems I’d been experiencing such as the queue suddenly playing spontaneously, old cleared queues playing on speakers at the same time as the alarm started playing in the selected room and so on. I was asked how many tracks were in my queue and in all innocence I told them that as I like to listen to my whole music collection throughout the house on shuffle play the queue contained over 50,000 tracks. In my technical ignorance I had no reason to suspect that this would be a problem since in my mind the track limit capability of the system was 65,000 tracks. It was explained to me that my ‘old’ devices were running out of memory and that when this happens all manner of weird things could occur. The solution was simply to disconnect and reconnect all my speakers and in future try to limit the number of tracks in the queue. I followed that advice and haven’t experienced the problem since. It does suggest though that current arguments about memory shortage do have merit but I expect I am rather unique in wanting to listen to my music in that way so maybe not many people have experienced what I did.

Anyway, going back to the Beam,  I need to know, sooner rather than later, whether the legacy and modern systems will be able to re-integrate. If they will it would be worth keeping it, if not then maybe not. I didn’t much care for it at first on discovering that Alexa can’t access my music library (not that I’m that interested in Alexa) and because where it is placed it blocks my TV’s remote receiver but it is growing on me and it was a good price.

I have other questions too. Can anyone in simple terms explain to me what is the practical difference between the latest Play 5 and the latest ‘One’. I expect the 5 to be more powerful but is there any other fundamental difference making the 5 worth £459 as opposed to the One at £199 at their respective RRPs?

With the larger memory of the Latest ‘One’ would I be able to go back to listening to a queue of 50,000 tracks without creating technical problems?

I will not rush to dispose of my legacy Play 5s as, like I said in a previous post, there are uses to which they can be put using the ‘line-in’ function even after they cease to function in their present capacity, whenever that might be.  I’d never consider the trade-in option mainly on environmental grounds plus the fact that the 30% allowance is miserly. However, what might prove appealing to me would be if Sonos were to offer me 3 Ones to replace the legacy Play5s at a heavily discounted price - just a thought, trying to think outside the box to find mutually beneficial outcome.

Reading about all the various alternative systems being discussed is interesting but very confusing to me since all seem to have drawbacks of one sort or another of their own and for me, lacking in technical expertise, one of the top considerations is ease of use and the quality of after-sale support.

If you’ve managed to wade through all that thanks for your patience.

1. This is not like buying a mobile phone where it is OK to replace every few years - many like me have invested £1000’s - I will not risk any future investment if I can not be sure my very expensive speakers will keep working

You are right, it's not like buying a mobile phone.  Three years ago I bought a Ssmsung Galaxy phone for around £650. I bought a Play:5 gen 2 for £499 around same time. The phone might last me another year, maybe 2. The Play:5 will be fully supported until 5 years after Sonos stop selling it. I would guess that will give me 10 years use, fully supported . Thank God that buying a Sonos is not like buying a phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Roon can send to Sonos speakers. $ 119/ year and it is suggested it can send to legacy and new, basically making a single network out of the split network. It needs to be seen whether that is the case but if it is then all the Sonos stuff remains working. IF it is the case then it may be a working solution. 
It is used by a lot of genuine “high end”audio streaming manufacturers so is not fly by night and has had high reviews by reputable Audio magazines.

If Sonos does what it says right now and divides the system into Legacy and Modern, with no posibility to sync between the 2 groups and says that it does so, because it is not possible to do it otherwise, and ROON then has a product that enables this functionality anyway, how bad is SONOS gonna look then.

Basically Sonos would have to say “We can’t do it, but ROON can” on SONOS hardware.

The backlash would be even bigger then.

It's not happening.  New units once updated will not be able to synchronise with legacy units.  As soon as only the latest software will work with spotify etc, legacy units are landfill.

Sonos could choose to implement software that will allow newer units to be a master to legacy units and keep them all part of one environment.  Or they could develop a control box to sit on the network and do this.

The truth is they dont want to, it's far easier to cut loose the "legacy" hardware and hope people will upgrade.  If you are sat on £3k worth of connect amps, tough.  Sonos dont want to know.  They are moving to a 5 year premium subscription model for their hardware and that's it.

The solution is far easier for all of us with mixed environments as well, and that is to cut loose Sonos and not upgrade…. Embrace the legacy network environment and continue listening to music without investing further. If you’d like a new speaker, buy a 2nd hand legacy one - it’ll be cheap. If a streaming service stops working, move to another (they come and go anyhow and they’re largely the same), or buy another brand’s streaming box to feed a legacy Sonos Connect…. or even a smart TV app feeding a Connect or Playbar etc. 
There are still many options for conceivably many years, and none of them need to involve either purchasing another Sonos speaker if you don’t want to (and you wouldn’t be blamed), or selling it all off and starting with something else. Stay the legacy course.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have left a review of the Beam on Amazon; one which, I hope, damns with faint praise rather than just condemning Sonos outright. The products are still very good; it is the company’s philosophy that has turned sour.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Since this announcement a few days ago the share price has dropped 6.5%.

Thats a billion dollars wiped off the company value.  A fair few “trade ups” would need to be sold to recover that.

Hows about just going back to plan A and not treating your existing customer base like a cash cow adn expecting them to just suck it up that their home sound system which has been added to over the years is about to get ripped apart.

Good thing Nicholas Millington, Chief Product Officer, sold 30% of his shares on January 2nd for $500,000.00 before the share price started going down.  Shrewd trader that Nicholas :wink: .

http://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001314727/5e4c0a01-abfa-4ea8-bf30-6a97f31fb24d.pdf

It’s probably already been asked, but isn’t that type of activity illegal? Knowing sh1t is about to happen and offloading your stock before the market knows??

Yes, it very much is.  If you are aware of information that is likely to have a significant impact on share price, and act upon that information before it is made public, it is insider trading.  Which is certainly illegal.

Sonos IPO didn’t crater , but … 

The $2 billion valuation is far short of the $2.5 to $3 billion valuation that analysts expected before the IPO.

The tempered enthusiasm is based on fears that Sonos will struggle to compete as a single device manufacturer.

But stock market values are not only determined by the separation of Sonos units into modern and legacy categories - think world economic outlooks; US/ China tariffs; competitor actions; failure to meet pre IPO forecasts for a whole host of reasons…

But, the share price has taken a sizeable knock in the last couple of days but not to the degree implied above..

Its dropped 6.4% in the past few days, with a market cap of 1.54bn, its dropped around $100m

It's now dropped around half a billion from the IPO.

Competition aside, sonos alienating their existing customer base, which in their own words account for over a third of current sales is not going to sit well with investors.

Unless there is a rapid change of direction, this is going to run.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Then, each feature that is supported has capabilities that it requires. It is simply then a matter of matching capabilities when a feature is executed.

For example
Play:5 Gen1, Capabilities: A, B, C

Play:5 Gen2, Capabilities: A, B, C, D, E

If I want to execute feature "D" (maybe Atmos?), then the app only shows "D" as the speaker that can be used. If I want to say, just listen to music off a network drive ("A"), then both are enabled for use (in the 'grouping' function).

Exactly

A = My Music Library - YES

B = Spotify - YES;

C = TuneIn Radio - YES

All I have ever used an needed - across all rooms

As to the newer features

D - Voice Control by Applazonagoogle -Siralexablahblah Nope

E - Home Automation to turn off my smart lights when I press play - Nope

F - IFTTT Integration so when I ring the doorbell music starts - Nope

G - Etc Etc Etc Nope

Currently: 4 x Play 3 | 4 x Play1 | Sub | Playbar 1 | Connect | Bridge across 4 zones which are used in various combinations.

The Connect goes to a 30+ year old hand-built amp, and 20 year old high-end speakers - all of which show no signs of forced obsolescence.

Sounds like you just need legacy mode. It’s people who want both that are screwed.  

Sounds like you just need legacy mode. It’s people who want both that are screwed.  

Until streaming service only works with the latest sonos api, then every legacy piece of hardware is junked

Then, each feature that is supported has capabilities that it requires. It is simply then a matter of matching capabilities when a feature is executed.

For example
Play:5 Gen1, Capabilities: A, B, C

Play:5 Gen2, Capabilities: A, B, C, D, E

If I want to execute feature "D" (maybe Atmos?), then the app only shows "D" as the speaker that can be used. If I want to say, just listen to music off a network drive ("A"), then both are enabled for use (in the 'grouping' function).

Exactly

A = My Music Library - YES

B = Spotify - YES;

C = TuneIn Radio - YES

All I have ever used an needed - across all rooms

As to the newer features

D - Voice Control by Applazonagoogle -Siralexablahblah Nope

E - Home Automation to turn off my smart lights when I press play - Nope

F - IFTTT Integration so when I ring the doorbell music starts - Nope

G - Etc Etc Etc Nope

Currently: 4 x Play 3 | 4 x Play1 | Sub | Playbar 1 | Connect | Bridge across 4 zones which are used in various combinations.

The Connect goes to a 30+ year old hand-built amp, and 20 year old high-end speakers - all of which show no signs of forced obsolescence.

Until streaming service only works with the latest sonos api, then every legacy piece of hardware is junked

• The Doorbell thingie sounds neat.. The best would be if it turns on the Propane on the stove also before music starts ;)

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Roon can send to Sonos speakers. $ 119/ year and it is suggested it can send to legacy and new, basically making a single network out of the split network. It needs to be seen whether that is the case but if it is then all the Sonos stuff remains working. IF it is the case then it may be a working solution. 
It is used by a lot of genuine “high end”audio streaming manufacturers so is not fly by night and has had high reviews by reputable Audio magazines.

If Sonos does what it says right now and divides the system into Legacy and Modern, with no posibility to sync between the 2 groups and says that it does so, because it is not possible to do it otherwise, and ROON then has a product that enables this functionality anyway, how bad is SONOS gonna look then.

Basically Sonos would have to say “We can’t do it, but ROON can” on SONOS hardware.

The backlash would be even bigger then.

Was going to do the garden today but I think a day reading up on ROON sounds like time better spent. 

If it does what folks are saying then £119 a year is no big deal. Ironically I’d have paid that to Sonos for a full solution had they made it an option.

Can the answer really be so simple?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

1. This is not like buying a mobile phone where it is OK to replace every few years - many like me have invested £1000’s - I will not risk any future investment if I can not be sure my very expensive speakers will keep working

You are right, it's not like buying a mobile phone.  Three years ago I bought a Ssmsung Galaxy phone for around £650. I bought a Play:5 gen 2 for £499 around same time. The phone might last me another year, maybe 2. The Play:5 will be fully supported until 5 years after Sonos stop selling it. I would guess that will give me 10 years use, fully supported . Thank God that buying a Sonos is not like buying a phone. 

Except you didn’t buy half a dozen or more ‘phones, and you expect them to do a lot more than just making a ‘phone call. You expect them to keep up with new apps, gaming, providing better and better lenses or whatever and it’s not unreasonable to need to upgrade to keep up with the latest technology. All most of us want our Sonos units to do is to carry on providing the basic functionality we bought them for, and that is the fundamental difference. And we have no guarantee of 10 years support - many much younger units will lose the functionality we bought them for after much less time than that.

Userlevel 1

Probably one of the worst decisions/communications I have seen a company do. With just minimal effort you could foresee the backlash from a decision like this. Either the CEO just could not be bothered being involved in the communication upfront or he was not smart enough to understand the consequences of something like this.

It will piss people off, many people buy Sonos know they have a decent second hand value and base their purchase on that, you basically robbed everyone who has the old stuff. You could not give a shit about sustainability and think it is a great idea to throw away fully functional speakers because you want to up-sell. You create uncertainty for EVERYONE that buys a new product that you might brick it or not continue to evolve it in the near future. Sonos, you completely lost it to be honest and I have gone from once being a Sonos fanatic to really just feel you are a shitty company that deserves to be replaced by more humble and supportive companies. 

Badge

Hi all, like you I was very disappointed to receive the news on legacy. I have 8 different pieces of Sonos kit, 5 of which will become legacy. I had assumed both my connect amps would but from the answer below only one of them will be. More interesting is the reply I received when I asked about how I could continue to use my legacy kit bearing in mind I have no interest what so ever in Alexa or any of that guff. I do have a Beam but Alexa was turned straight off. I only use it for TV anyway.

Please read below regarding setting up 2 households. The chap also confirmed that you would not be able to sync the 2 together. I have since asked the question regarding controllers ie do I have 2 desktop controllers or could I swap between the 2 households on one controller. I await a reply on that. 

From Sonos

The difference between the two connect amps that you have is the manufacture date.

The serial number ######### was manufactured in 2015-08-25 while the other serial number ######## was made back in 2008-05-30

The older products (Legacy products) will no longer receive software updates but can still be used business as usual if you have 2 household IDs to seperate the old from the new.

To set up a new household:

- Factory Reset one of the speakers representing either the legacy or the new so that you can go through a brand new setup process. 

-
Set up  the speaker as a new system instead of connecting to existing system (Use a different email address to register new system).

-Use the relevant email when switching listening from old to new households.

Your reference number for this inquiry is #########

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Userlevel 3
Badge

You only tend to own one mobile phone, so that model works.

Many people have many SONOS speakers all over the house that cost multiple £1,000s - to replace all speakers every 5 years does not work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

And so it begins

retailers-move-to-dump-sonos

Sounds like Sonos is indeed under pressure - and combined with having an unhealthy tone towards their partners and a technological base that is not modern, they have now begun doing such absurd things like we have seen recently. Certainly a sign of desperation from a company that doesn’t know what to do.

No disrespect, but what the hell is “Channel News”? To be very frank, that was one of the most poorly written and worded pieces I’ve read on the web in a bit… and one has to be forgiving of web pieces. I’ve seen posts here in the forum put together better (not mine, mind you, but they’re here :relaxed: ). Just had a strange air to it as well.

Yes, that online magazine seems to be quite negative towards Sonos - they have other articles with more or less the same tone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The message from Patrick Spence is welcome but it beggars belief that a corporation the size of Sonos can get it this wrong. Very pleased to see that the Customer remains king! What has still not been addressed is the environmental impact of the still bricked returned units if I decide to upgrade at some stage. What is happening to these?

Sadly the customer does not remain king. The message simply says we’re going to do what we said in the first place - stop updating software on your ‘legacy’ units (they might update bug/security aspects but they will potentially still stop working as soon as a streaming service updates its API). And if you want to keep using your legacy units while they last, they won’t interface with any new units you buy (or any “modern” units you own if you dare to update the software on them) - you will have to have two systems.

But if you look at some media comments, there may be a glimmer of hope that, whatever may have been their original intention, they are saying the issue was the inability of older units to be updated with capacity hungry modern updates. If one can’t update, none can.  Therefore looking to split system for updates so each generation receives appropriate updates.  One comment says looking then to see if old and new can work together… but does say not sure if they can… look at my earlier posts and you can see the development/ reference points of these arguments.. If this can be made to work with newer units accessing new features but old ones like out from them, but all units working together when requirement is within their capability, then I’m as happy as I was before and will upgrade when I feel the need to have the newer features… If whole home grouping not possible, then I remain angry… 

I think you are projecting an enormous amount of what you want to see on to the situation. There has been nothing from Sonos in any of these announcements that has entertained the idea that legacy and current will work together. NOTHING. 

The articles in the media you refer to also do not quote anyone at Sonos saying anything directly that changes anything. I think you give the journalists too much credit; some of them are doing the same thing you are and reading the wishy-washy language from Sonos and assuming the most positive interpretation of the ambiguity.

The number one reason to refuse sonos the benefit of the doubt is simply that we (referring to the members of the community who are technical, which isn’t everyone) know for a cast iron fact that there is NO barrier to an integrated system continuing to work other than Sonos’ business decision not to do so, yet Sonos have dodged this point in every statement and forum post they’ve made on this point.

They don’t want your old components to continue to work, they just want you to shut up and buy some new ones. They aren’t trying to do the best they can by you in the face of technical limitations, they’re trying to make the weakest possible commitments they can to make the complaining stop. That’s it.

Userlevel 3

What happens when my Playbar’s surrounds become legacy? will I lose my surround sound?

You only tend to own one mobile phone, so that model works.

Many people have many SONOS speakers all over the house that cost multiple £1,000s - to replace all speakers every 5 years does not work.

No it doesn't.  But then some people will be replacing their ZP80s after 16 years. 5 years is a minimum. The ramp up in memory on more modern devices is huge. Yes, eventually that won't be enough, but I am confident that P:5 of mine will be playing fine 10 years from now. Not certain, but confident enough not to be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. 

Just for the record I have 12 Sonos components over 7 zones, accumulated since 2011 

Userlevel 1

I am raising a ticket with Sonos support to see if I can disable all updates to my devices and phone. 

I just realised that I have never actually needed an update to my system since it was bought! I was happy with tune in, play from this device, play from network and that’s it. ( May be I’m just a complete Dino?). The Updates never fixed an issue I experienced! However, the updates have removed “play from this device” and will now mean that I have 2 legacy speaker out of 6… oh and the legacy speakers are my most recent purchases!!

So why have automatic updates enabled… security? Really, if you have the speaker product only (not the “one” series) do you really care that someone in China knows that your dark secret is that you listen to Britney? Oh and let’s face it… they only find the security issues after it has been exploited!