End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I bought a couple of Sonos:Ones in the last year or two to complement my 3 existing play:5s (all of which are classed legacy now).  I’ve had them a good long while and had probably more updates than I would have expected.

However, had I the knowledge then that my existing system was obsolete, I would have spent a lot more time researching the alternatives.  I went with Sonos again specifically to integrate with what I have.

I don’t like the idea of nuking my play:5s from orbit just so that I can presumably play black friday prices for a new product.  The environmental aspects also really concerns me - what is happening to the old dead goods when they get sent back?

The “minimum 5 years” thing concerns me too.

From my own point of view, most software updates do nothing for me.  A couple have been great - Spotify, AirPlay and Google assistant - and some have been really bad - e.g. the new Mac app, or my CR200 being rendered virtually obsolete.

I can’t see how having a legacy system and a modern system in tandem works.  For me, it defeats the object as I usually group everything together so I can walk around the house and enjoy my music.  But when they then decide that the play:% gen2 is legacy, how does that work?

I’ve always thought the Sonos update thing a bit strange - sometimes you update all devices in the system seemingly just because the font in the app changes.

But I get that Sonos as a company are under pressure, as more and more smart speakers flood the market for ridiculously low charges.  AFAIK Sonos don’t make regular revenue from speakers once they’ve been sold, so I can see that they are potentially entering a difficult period in their life.  And I can imagine the software developers being desperate to move on from some of the old kit.  Having said that, this is a time when they need customer loyalty more than ever I would have thought, and it works both ways.

Personally, I’m going to watch this space and see what happens.  If my old kit continues to work, I will wait for Sonos to deliver something compelling enough for me to decide to ditch my old kit.  Otherwise I will have to try to fight my nerd-fuelled need to always be on the latest software.  It has dissuaded me to extend it further, and it means a big caveat should I ever be recommending it to anyone else.

Or, TL;DR - +1.  :)

I spent over 8000€ to build my Sonos system over the years. And now you tell me that it won’t work as intended after May 2020?

Sonos? Never again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You can even call a new phone from an old one! Fancy that. 

It is really amazing :)

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the position is regarding on-going software updates for the play 3?

It seems it is too old to receive an Airplay 2 upgrade but not old enough to stop receiving software updates after May 2020. Is this correct or did software updates for the play 3 stop prior to this recent announcement?

Given the relatively similar hardware specification of both the play 5 gen 1 and play 3, a decision to stop software updates for the play 5 gen 1, but continue them for the play 3, looks a bit suspect if it is being justified on the grounds of hardware limitations.

Sonos have committed to supporting speakers for a minimum of 5 years after they discontinue sales. So they are kerping a promise, not that anybody on tbis thread is going to believe that. 

Also, the P:3 has twice the RAM of the p:5 gen 1 I believe.

Thanks for the quickly reply. So if Sonos keep their promise we can look forward to play 3 updates until July 2023 (as I believe sales stopped in July 2018). 

Double the ram would make a difference if you are referring to the flash memory which holds the firmware, but not if you are referring to the temporary ram used to buffer the music being streamed. Will try to find the full hardware specs online and report back.

Update:

Found the below chart on reddit which confirms both types of ram doubled between the play 5 gen 1 and play 3. The chart may also help other Sonos users assess which devices have the longest upgrade life based on their memory and storage capabilities. 

Link to full reddit page: (in case the image is stripped from this post):

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/dip1pb/sonos_hardware_memory_chart/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What happens when my Playbar’s surrounds become legacy? will I lose my surround sound?

Based on what we know, yes. They will not be able to be part of the same Sonos installation. 

That is crazy. I just bought a Playbar two weeks to work with older Sonos speakers i had bought years ago,

Earlier in the thread some poor sod, had a playbar for sorround, backed by 2 Play 5’s as rear speakers.

He can either go legacy og pay up for 2 new speakers to replace the relatively expensive speakers he bought 4 years ago in 2015/2016, when resellers were still selling their remaining stock of gen 1 play 5’s.

Imagine buying 2 speakers ~4 years ago, paying over $1000 for them, only to be told they are obsolete now.

So I'm not really satisfied by this clarification. At no point when I was spending over  £2000 on a play bar 2 play3s 2 play ones and a play 5 was I made aware that in a few years time my products may stop working or be reduced in usability to such a level that I would have to fork out another 2k to replace them. This is utterly appalling and I fully expect these products to remain working fully and integrated fully with my subscription Deezer service until they physically fail in some way OR I choose to upgrade to upgrade them for something else. If in the future Sonos are unwilling to allow these devices to operate I will never purchase another of their products ever again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@DK_Madsen 

“Imagine buying 2 speakers ~4 years ago, paying over $1000 for them, only to be told they are obsolete now.”

Yup, that is me as well!  Feel like a right chump!

Now I have calmed down a bit, I know what my plan is.  I am not going to buy any more speakers until the May announcement.  Then I am going to watch these threads and wait and see how it all plays out..  Time will tell.

Userlevel 2

I am raising a ticket with Sonos support to see if I can disable all updates to my devices and phone. 

I just realised that I have never actually needed an update to my system since it was bought! I was happy with tune in, play from this device, play from network and that’s it. ( May be I’m just a complete Dino?). The Updates never fixed an issue I experienced! However, the updates have removed “play from this device” and will now mean that I have 2 legacy speaker out of 6… oh and the legacy speakers are my most recent purchases!!

So why have automatic updates enabled… security? Really, if you have the speaker product only (not the “one” series) do you really care that someone in China knows that your dark secret is that you listen to Britney? Oh and let’s face it… they only find the security issues after it has been exploited!

Why are you emailing Support? You can turn off automatic system updates in the Sonos app and controller updates in your app store.

And with respect, whilst you may not have realised you needed the update there is a good chance that without it your system wouldn’t have kept on working with tune in/ play from network!

I am not at home to check, so i have no idea if i have auto-update on or not and it may well run in the background, but as far as i am aware I have not updated my system for years, for example my CR100 still works fine...

@DK_Madsen

“Imagine buying 2 speakers ~4 years ago, paying over $1000 for them, only to be told they are obsolete now.”

Now I have calmed down a bit, I know what my plan is.  I am not going to buy any more speakers until the May announcement.  Then I am going to watch these threads and wait and see how it all plays out..  Time will tell.

not great. The wording of that clarification, whilst on the face of it seems to try and backtrack...they haven't stated specifically that the units will work fully for as long as you want them. Imagine spending 2k on a HiFi system only to have to replace it in 5 years because the manufacturer deliberately built it of parts that were non replaceable and would only last 5 years. really angry about this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Here’s another thought, given there are lots of eyes on this forum at the moment a few of them have to be bright spark techies or electronics wizards, unlike myself I hasten to add😁 

what we need is one of these clever guys to whip the top off a play1, 3 or 5 and figure out how to retrofit a line in,  aux Jack, possibly even a Bluetooth module. I love the sound quality of my Sonos kit and always have and I would personally pay to have my gear retro fitted and thus make it independent of any software shenanigans. I think people would queue up for this to be done. 

come on one of you bright sparks get the soldering iron out and get yourself a profitable ready made business all in one go 😁👍🏻

"We expect that in the near term, this backward compatibility will no longer be practical or cost-effective, and we may decrease or discontinue service for our older products," the filing explains. "If we no longer provide extensive backward capability for our products, we may damage our relationship with our existing customers, as well as our reputation, brand loyalty, and ability to attract new customers.

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work just as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honour that investment for as long as possible. Whilst legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, whilst legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalising details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

Whilst we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the Trade Up programme we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn't exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Patrick

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

Patrick ,

Glad to hear this as I was about to write a long rant on email. But I am still not amused I now have a Sonos system which is 75% out of date and trade ins are pathetic as well. Your loyal customers are left with systems which will no longer perform with the new products. The whole idea was a sustainable sound system which could be added to or upgraded. I believe you need to be looking at a fix which upgrades the “legacy” components -  a plug circuit board with the required processing to upgrade them for example at low cost to your existing customers. I can see your company being sued and your customer base dwindling to an unsustainable level. After all there are now several cheaper competitors out there. You could also make your system compatible with other wi- Fi speakers fo example Alexa from Amazon it could receive the updates and run existing SONOS systems. 

I have 4 obsolete Bridges, 2 x Play  1s , 2 x play 5s, 1 x Sub , 2 X amps  and on and on.

Here’s another thought, given there are lots of eyes on this forum at the moment a few of them have to be bright spark techies or electronics wizards, unlike myself I hasten to add😁 

what we need is one of these clever guys to whip the top off a play1, 3 or 5 and figure out how to retrofit a line in,  aux Jack, possibly even a Bluetooth module. I love the sound quality of my Sonos kit and always have and I would personally pay to have my gear retro fitted and thus make it independent of any software shenanigans. I think people would queue up for this to be done. 

come on one of you bright sparks get the soldering iron out and get yourself a profitable ready made business all in one go 😁👍🏻

The play: 5 has a line-in already and just to say the Play:1 and 3 devices are not part of the annoucement .. hope that assists. 👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

just received my " 30% off special deal " e-mail from Sonos ...
in the past year iv spent £2000 / £2500 grand on their expensive kit for all over my house
Why ? cause it worked straight out of the box with no complications for me or my kids ...
Not ever was i told at the point of sale that my kit would self break and be worthless as a working hi-fi
What this tells me is ... i need to quickly sell all my kit on the "bay" and try and recover some of my investment
Do not EVER buy any of their kit ever again as all the new kit will eventually go "bricked " once again
What a greedy stupid decision from Sonos ... just to make even more money in my opinion

PS

Just looked on the "bay" and all the second hand prices have collapsed !

update

What a massive storm on the internet ... so much anger ... could be the makings of a horror movie !
I wish i was a fly on the Sonos boardroom wall ... what a self inflicted total nightmare .
But seriously ...
It doesn't matter what Sonos does or says now ... the Sonos brand is now very toxic if not dead !
Even if they roll back everything to "as was" I for one will not be buying any more of their kit.
I have lost all trust in the product and the company. I realise if it goes bust nothing will work
but i consider my existing kit as worthless now anyway ... even if i bought new ... it will eventually go "Legacy"

SONOS = LEGACY = SCRAP . Lets call it what it really is !

This whole Sonos debacle has made me realise that any Internet connected hardware from any company is time limited.
Why spend top money on the best products { which Sonos was } when a cheaper alternative is available
When it goes "Legacy" i wont lose so much of my hard earned money if i buy cheaper ...

PS

I hope that if it does go bust all the hard working innocent staff get re-employed in any Sonos alternative company .

They are the ones who will really be paying the price for this crazy stupid mess ....

Yours

A Totally 100% angry pissed off disillusioned never ever again former Sonos advocate

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@DK_Madsen

If everybody waits until May before buying anything - there won’t be anything to wait for. Sonos does not have a strong economy, and if the stock market feels that their future is in danger, it may not be possible for them to capitalize further. Only a take-over by another company could bring in a serious amount of new capital.

For a company this small, I bet that closing down would not take long - we will not have several months to collect devices for the future, and it wouldn’t be useful either to do so if they work only when being daily comfirmed by a Sonos server plus regularly updated.

So what I believe about the current situation is that if not Sonos right away does something drastically that will bring back customer trust and corresponding willingness to buy their products (or another company announces a take-over, be it friendly or hostile), then you and all others will know before May that we need to find a different solution.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The play: 5 has a line-in already and just to say the Play:1 and 3 devices are not part of the annoucement .. hope that assists. 👍

Hi Ken,

yep my Play 5 does have a line in but it still needs the Sonos app to work, I’m talking about making each unit wholly independent of the software and app, a standalone powered speaker. Whilst the 1’s and 3’s are not the issue at the moment Mr Spence’s mealy mouthed reply sure made it clear they will be part of the issue at some point…...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I genuinely wonder how much it would have cost Sonos to develop a Media/ Legacy hub (which I'm sure people would buy in droves) vs what this last week will have cost them in lost sales and share prices.

Why would you employ the man that killed Blackberry to run your company, doesn't make any sense. My 8 year old daughter could do a better job it seems..

Patrick

The sonos Email telling me my connect and play 5 are obsolete arrived during a rather busy week, but not too busy to give this little problem some thought.  Your follow up clarification arrived this morning. My verdict is you are going to have to do way better than that to recover sonos’ fortunes with its customer base.  I suggest you google the Gerald Ratner case study; Gerald’s high street jewellery chain went straight the pan after he told his customers that the jewellery in his stores was all rubbish. You my friend have just done exactly the same. Sonos RIP.

What this sorry state highlights is the folly of throwing your all in with a closed system like Sonos, I for one will now investigate the other options available going forward that adopt a more open approach. 

Just as a final thought, given that sonos is a network, I fail to see why the so called shortcomings of this older kit cannot be compensated for elsewhere in the network. There are also sockets on the back of most speakers, surely some expansion device can be place in those! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@DK_Madsen

If everybody waits until May before buying anything - there won’t be anything to wait for. Sonos does not have a strong economy, and if the stock market feels that their future is in danger, it may not be possible for them to capitalize further. Only a take-over by another company could bring in a serious amount of new capital.

For a company this small, I bet that closing down would not take long - we will not have several months to collect devices for the future, and it wouldn’t be useful either to do so if they work only when being daily comfirmed by a Sonos server plus regularly updated.

So what I believe about the current situation is that if not Sonos right away does something drastically that will bring back customer trust and corresponding willingness to buy their products (or another company announces a take-over, be it friendly or hostile), then you and all others will know before May that we need to find a different solution.

Have to say Jwinter think you have hit the nail on the head there, if the comments on the forum are anything to go by the statement has had little effect on the ill feeling amongst current owners. I would think the national news coverage has stopped possible new buyers in their tracks and with nothing but the derisory 30% bricking offer on the table for current owners the share prices are set to jump off a cliff anytime soon. Either way we as current owners appear to be well and truly screwed over…....

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

rightly or wrongly … people are very pissed off ...

my son is a manager in a national chain of electrical stockists , he says that people who have bought  a Sonos product in the last 14 days are trying to return them for a refund ….

Company is worried about stock levels going forward

Nuf said ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

not great. The wording of that clarification, whilst on the face of it seems to try and backtrack...they haven't stated specifically that the units will work fully for as long as you want them. Imagine spending 2k on a HiFi system only to have to replace it in 5 years because the manufacturer deliberately built it of parts that were non replaceable and would only last 5 years. really angry about this.

I was in the proces of acquiring a Sonos SUB for my Playbar + 2 Play 1 “sorround sound”

Come may, i wont even be ABLE to buy that one and incorporate it into my setup, because i will be in legacy mode to keep my Play 5 in the loop, and a new SUB will probably have new firmware out of the box, that can not be downgraded to run in legacy mode.

So they not only angered a lot of current costumers, making them not want to upgrade, they also prevented anyone with a legacy system from buying any new sonos products in the future because the new units can not be enrolled in a legacy system.

How’s that, for a poor “Lets trip ourselves up big time” decision

The message from Patrick Spence is welcome but it beggars belief that a corporation the size of Sonos can get it this wrong. Very pleased to see that the Customer remains king! What has still not been addressed is the environmental impact of the still bricked returned units if I decide to upgrade at some stage. What is happening to these?

Sadly the customer does not remain king. The message simply says we’re going to do what we said in the first place - stop updating software on your ‘legacy’ units (they might update bug/security aspects but they will potentially still stop working as soon as a streaming service updates its API). And if you want to keep using your legacy units while they last, they won’t interface with any new units you buy (or any “modern” units you own if you dare to update the software on them) - you will have to have two systems.

But if you look at some media comments, there may be a glimmer of hope that, whatever may have been their original intention, they are saying the issue was the inability of older units to be updated with capacity hungry modern updates. If one can’t update, none can.  Therefore looking to split system for updates so each generation receives appropriate updates.  One comment says looking then to see if old and new can work together… but does say not sure if they can… look at my earlier posts and you can see the development/ reference points of these arguments.. If this can be made to work with newer units accessing new features but old ones like out from them, but all units working together when requirement is within their capability, then I’m as happy as I was before and will upgrade when I feel the need to have the newer features… If whole home grouping not possible, then I remain angry… 

I think you are projecting an enormous amount of what you want to see on to the situation. There has been nothing from Sonos in any of these announcements that has entertained the idea that legacy and current will work together. NOTHING. 

The articles in the media you refer to also do not quote anyone at Sonos saying anything directly that changes anything. I think you give the journalists too much credit; some of them are doing the same thing you are and reading the wishy-washy language from Sonos and assuming the most positive interpretation of the ambiguity.

The number one reason to refuse sonos the benefit of the doubt is simply that we (referring to the members of the community who are technical, which isn’t everyone) know for a cast iron fact that there is NO barrier to an integrated system continuing to work other than Sonos’ business decision not to do so, yet Sonos have dodged this point in every statement and forum post they’ve made on this point.

They don’t want your old components to continue to work, they just want you to shut up and buy some new ones. They aren’t trying to do the best they can by you in the face of technical limitations, they’re trying to make the weakest possible commitments they can to make the complaining stop. That’s it.

Indeed… 

The clarification seems to add little. There is a preface with ‘we are sorry’ but it is then followed by a restatement. Legacy products will not be bricked in May but they will continue working for ‘as long as possible’. How long is that? Of course, no clarification on which functionality / features may be gradually dropped. Will spotify still work 3 months after May? Is this ‘as long as possible’? Will Tunein Radio work 6 months after May? 
Sure, that may all depend on how partner services change and when … sonos may not know. Why not deal with this in the same way as how Airplay 2 is streamed through a compatible device that is then grouped with older non supporting units. Yes it is slightly clunky but it enables older units to offer whole home audio with Airplay 2.

Is the memory / processor module the weak link? How about an upgrade program (at a cost of course) that allows customers to send the speaker back to sonos for an upgrade on the computer part of the unit?

The ‘clarification’ only seems to clarify what was initially announced albeit with a preface of an apology statement. 

Kind of ‘Sorry but we are not sorry’ ;-)

… and no, the smartphone analogy does not stand. I know in advance that my android phone will only receive roughly 2 years of updates. After that , no more updates and no more security updates either. I also know that most apps I use will keep working for 3-4 years after the end of updates  (if I choose to keep my device that long). Hell, I can root the smartphone and use Lineage OS to extend the life. I have both i) choice and iii) in advance information to enable me to decide on purchasing or not. 

With apple it is different, less freedom but then again I have the information that my smartphone will be updated for 6 years. I know this in advance though so I choose to buy or not based on that information. 

… and I only have a single smartphone, I don't need to replace an android phone for each room in my place :-)

Patrick

The sonos Email telling me my connect and play 5 are obsolete arrived during a rather busy week, but not too busy to give this little problem some thought.  Your follow up clarification arrived this morning. My verdict is you are going to have to do way better than that to recover sonos’ fortunes with its customer base.  I suggest you google the Gerald Ratner case study; Gerald’s high street jewellery chain went straight the pan after he told his customers that the jewellery in his stores was all rubbish. You my friend have just done exactly the same. Sonos RIP.

What this sorry state highlights is the folly of throwing your all in with a closed system like Sonos, I for one will now investigate the other options available going forward that adopt a more open approach. 

Just as a final thought, given that sonos is a network, I fail to see why the so called shortcomings of this older kit cannot be compensated for elsewhere in the network. There are also sockets on the back of most speakers, surely some expansion device can be place in those! 

“Obsolete?”… no mention of that..!! They just won’t get any new features is the actual crux of the message. All will work post may 2020 and for the foreseeable future, including some fixes and necessary updates to keep them running. Maybe read the messages again, a little more carefully, perhaps? I guess it’s understandable to have misunderstood the situation after your rather busy week.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Have to say Jwinter think you have hit the nail on the head there, if the comments on the forum are anything to go by the statement has had little effect on the ill feeling amongst current owners. I would think the national news coverage has stopped possible new buyers in their tracks and with nothing but the derisory 30% bricking offer on the table for current owners the share prices are set to jump off a cliff anytime soon. Either way we as current owners appear to be well and truly screwed over…....

Thanks. Thinking about what would be needed for reinstating sales. It would be, indeed drastically, a full retraction from the announced path along with a new and different plan for the future.

The new plan should contain some rock-solid guarantees for the life-length of each product as well as some attractive perks for regular customers, such as serious rebates on add-on purchases and buy-back offers. If anything in such a plan includes retiring devices, the full process for this should be disclosed, including what will happen to the old ones and how this can be said to be the best solution for the environment and for their customers’ economy.

We need to see some kind of ROI calculation for the alternative solutions (“ROI” as understood by a consumer with a mixed focus on technological development, daily use convenience, and money).

We also need to see specific actions on the environmental area. This debate has revealed that at least a large share of current users do care about the environment.

And we need to see an honest and forward-looking plan for the existing products, complete with retirement date and a gradually reduced support that stretches over a number of years.

Finally, for trust to be regained, I could imagine that a more open concept will be necessary. Many customers have expressed a new anxiety of being tied to one vendor and would prefer a solution that can be maintained even if the current vendor goes out of business or changes strategy. The IKEA collaboration is in this respect already a step in the right direction - more must come.

I do think, however, that we will all have to swallow the bitter pill of accepting that each product will have a finite life-length - it just needs to be announced way ahead of the end-of-life, and for new products be available before the purchase decision is made.

This will be a new start for Sonos - but one that could lead to growth and happy customers. And the CEO capable of doing this would come out of the mess as a rescuing hero.

Userlevel 3

The fact that Sonos CEO Patrick Spence has had to write to try and convince me that my Sonos equipment will work past May 2020 is proof of the marketing disaster Sonos has brought upon themselves. I have invested over £20000 in Sonos equipment, all installed just over 10 years ago, there should never be a doubt, not for one moment that this equipment should be reliable and work for many many years. But with their badly worded and executed announcement this week, regardless of Mr Patrick Spence’s belated assurances, you have successfully put serious doubt in my and many hundreds of thousands SONOS customers mind that this is not the case.

I live in the UK, many of us here will remember a chirpy CEO chappy named Gerald Ratner, I doubt if Peter Spence or the young hip kids at Sonos have heard of him. Can I suggest to you Mr Spence that you Google him ASAP and then fire your Head of Communications (if you haven’t done so already), I actually think this is your Gerald Rainer moment and you have probably taken the decision of whether to buy Sonos equipment in the future, out of my hands. You will now have to spend millions of marketing dollars just to try and undo some of the damage you have self inflicted on what was a good brand name. Best of luck with that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is the memory / processor module the weak link? How about an upgrade program (at a cost of course) that allows customers to send the speaker back to sonos for an upgrade on the computer part of the unit?

It’s not that i dont like the idea, but this is not feasible because of the price it would cost.

It seems that the Play 1 has a PCB just like the one in the Ikea Symfonisk but with the difference that they play 1 has 64/128 (Flash/Ram) and the Symfonisk has 256/512

So you should be able to buy a Symfonisk, disassemble it, disassemble the Play 1 and swap PCB’s and then discard the symfonisk.

You would then have a Symfonisk in a Play 1 cabinet, and from what i have read, there is no difference in how the 2 works in day to day operation.

What is more chocking is that the old Play 5 has 32/32, while the 2.gen only has 256/256 whereas the Sonos one and the move has 1024/1024

I wonder how many years before even the Play 5 2.gen will be obsolete because of lack of ram/rom as it only has ¼ of modern devices