End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Totally agree. 

So you can keep obsolete and new products in an out of date state. 

The surrogates in this thread are trying really hard wash this fact over.

I’d say rather the “surrogates” in this thread (or fanboy, or shill, or other veiled pejorative one prefers) are just trying to bring facts and real-world application of those facts back into the light whenever possible, because they so often get buried among the rants and inaccuracies repeated again and again. There’s plenty of justified anger on the issue at hand and I’ve seen the same “surrogates” express just as much as any over time, though in a more measured and “what do we do now?” manner, trying to help those that wander to this thread in anger find a way to move on. If without Sonos, that’s fine - no one would fault anyone at this point for making that choice, so long as it’s a decision made with facts, not conjecture of hell-and-damnation. 
I’m just as disappointed as anyone else personally, but keeping things in perspective is helpful.

Surrogate is not a veiled pejorative. It accurately describes the posters who are answering concerns instead of Sonos themselves. These are Sonos community but they are absent in providing any new information that we as customers want and deserve.

Userlevel 2
Badge

A possible solution for the legacy devices that have a line-in, make a device like an echo dot with Sonos technology that you can connect to the connect:amps and play 5’s.  That way you can still have whole house connectivity.  It would have a limited market, but if they sold it cheap enough it could salvage long-time cusomters of Sonos.  It would be much more expensive to try and win them back ( if even possible).

Why not just leave the ‘legacy’ devices exactly as they are now, which is what Sonos has suggested? After the May change, they’ll continue to work in exactly the same way as they do today, including having “whole house connectivity”. No need to deal with the line in, unless you’re already using it. If your system works today, it will continue to do so. You just won’t get new features, if you have a legacy device. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Why not just leave the ‘legacy’ devices exactly as they are now, which is what Sonos has suggested? After the May change, they’ll continue to work in exactly the same way as they do today, including having “whole house connectivity”. No need to deal with the line in, unless you’re already using it. If your system works today, it will continue to do so. You just won’t get new features, if you have a legacy device. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

If you have a mix of legacy devices and newer devices, the newer devices cannot be updated or you will lose the whole house connectivity.

We don’t know that yet. At the worst, you may end up with two Sonos systems, one with legacy devices, one with modern devices. We’ll need to wait for further information from Sonos as to whether they’ll be able to communicate with each other, but neither would lose the ability to connect with the other devices within its own network. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

We don’t know that yet. At the worst, you may end up with two Sonos systems, one with legacy devices, one with modern devices. We’ll need to wait for further information from Sonos as to whether they’ll be able to communicate with each other, but neither would lose the ability to connect with the other devices within its own network. 

The CEO’s statement said exactly that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Patrick Spence becomes CEO of Sonos in 2017 then:

(a)  Spence kills off the CR100 controller in 2018 by sending an update that bricks it (and includes a link to Sonos to purchase a new one).   Spence decided this was easier than breaking into customers’ homes and stealing their CRT100 remotes; but, it achieved the same goal.  .

(b)  Spence requires all owners to register their Sonos devices and share certain data with Sonos.  If users don’t register (and agree to transfer some data to Sonos), then products won’t receive updates.   Spence apparently thinks it OK to demand items of value (i.e., info) from customers notwithstanding they had already paid for the product;

(c)  Spence introduces the “recycling” program at the end of 2019 because he apparently hates the environment as much he hates Sonos’ customer base. 

(d)  Spence decides to sue google because its OK for Pence to steal from customers but its not OK for Google to steal customers from Spence.

(e)  Spence introduces the “legacy/modern” product distinction.   Sonos customer base complains.  Spence says, “sorry…. but not sorry”.

(f)   Sonos goes public under Spence at 15/share.   It is currently trading at less than $14.  

Everything we loved about Sonos occurred before Spence.  Everything we now hate about Sonos happened because of Spence.   Fire Spence!!! We want a new CEO!!!! We want a new CEO!!!

Last point on Spence.   He has way too many photos of himself in short-sleeved shirts.  Trying waaaay to hard to look like you fit in a tech company Spence.   

You helped destroy blackberry when you were there.  And you’re off to a great start at Sonos.

NEW CEO NOW!

Userlevel 2
Badge

(a)  Spence kills off the CR100 controller in 2018 by sending an update that bricks it (and includes a link to Sonos to purchase a new one).   Spence might as well have stolen those customers CR100 remotes.

(b)  Spence requires all owners to register their Sonos devices and share certain data with Sonos.  If Users don’t register (and agree to transfer some data to Sonos), then products won’t receive updates.   Pence again decides to demand items of value (i.e., info) from customers who thought they had already paid for the product;

(c)  Spence introduces the “recycling” program at the end of 2019 because he apparently hate the environment as much he likes to steal from customers.

(d)  Spence decides to sue google because its OK for Pence to Steal from customers but not for google to steal customers from Pence

(e)  Spence introduces the “legacy” distinction.   Sonos customer base complains.  Pence says, “sorry” and that the products “won’t be bricked in May” but we get the joke Patrick.

(f)   Sonos goes public under Spence at 15/share.   It is currently trading at less than $14.  And I don’t see that getting better since the entire customer base is pissed off.

(g)  If you love Sonos, let’s start writing to the board members and major shareholders and have Sonos get rid of Pence.

Last point on Spence.   He looks has way too many pictures of himself in short-sleeved shirts.  He looks like a creep in them.     

Everything I loved above Sonos happened before Spence.  Everything I now hate about Sonos happened because of Spence.   Fire Spence!!! We want a new CEO!!!! We want a new CEO!!!

Right now investors are OK because the stock price increased after the 1st quarter results.  The financial number were good based mainly of Christmas sales that happened before the announcement.  The big tell will be 2nd quarter results which will be all after the announcement in January.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

(a)  Spence kills off the CR100 controller in 2018 by sending an update that bricks it (and includes a link to Sonos to purchase a new one).   Spence might as well have stolen those customers CR100 remotes.

(b)  Spence requires all owners to register their Sonos devices and share certain data with Sonos.  If Users don’t register (and agree to transfer some data to Sonos), then products won’t receive updates.   Pence again decides to demand items of value (i.e., info) from customers who thought they had already paid for the product;

(c)  Spence introduces the “recycling” program at the end of 2019 because he apparently hate the environment as much he likes to steal from customers.

(d)  Spence decides to sue google because its OK for Pence to Steal from customers but not for google to steal customers from Pence

(e)  Spence introduces the “legacy” distinction.   Sonos customer base complains.  Pence says, “sorry” and that the products “won’t be bricked in May” but we get the joke Patrick.

(f)   Sonos goes public under Spence at 15/share.   It is currently trading at less than $14.  And I don’t see that getting better since the entire customer base is pissed off.

(g)  If you love Sonos, let’s start writing to the board members and major shareholders and have Sonos get rid of Pence.

Last point on Spence.   He looks has way too many pictures of himself in short-sleeved shirts.  He looks like a creep in them.     

Everything I loved above Sonos happened before Spence.  Everything I now hate about Sonos happened because of Spence.   Fire Spence!!! We want a new CEO!!!! We want a new CEO!!!

Right now investors are OK because the stock price increased after the 1st quarter results.  The financial number were good based mainly of Christmas sales that happened before the announcement.  The big tell will be 2nd quarter results which will be all after the announcement in January.

It went up for one day.   And then it went right back down. (and then some).

Userlevel 2
Badge

It went up for one day.   And then it went right back down. (and then some).

Hopefully that will convince him to make some changes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am a long time Sonos user and have spent thousands of dollars on your products. I am no longer going to spend a single penny on your products any more. 

I don’t even own these ”obsolete” products. I’m just worried now you’re going to do the same thing to the speakers I bought only 4 years ago. I can’t trust any speaker you sell today will become obsolete in a couple of years. I want my system to continue to receive updates and work with older speakers.

What a shame. I felt so much loyalty to Sonos

How can you be a long time user if your system is only 4 years old?

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you have a mix of legacy devices and newer devices, the newer devices cannot be updated or you will lose the whole house connectivity.

Until they stop supporting Spotify on your legacy devices.  Then what would you say.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hopefully @Ryan S can clarify if both legacy and new devices will work together for streaming in group mode or are we waiting on further clarification on this? Or as I saw in a reply from Sonos on Twitter, it won’t be possible post May update?

It won’t be possible post May update. A multiroom system requires peer-to-peer connectivity which can’t be accomplished when the participants are running on different firmware versions.

• I believe this is the answer you’re looking for: You will be able get the app that works with a legacy system to use on new mobile devices, or if you accidentally delete it.
  • You would either have a legacy system with legacy devices and modern devices, or a modern system and a legacy system. If it’s all one legacy system, than yes, they’ll group together, but if it’s two separate systems, than they’re two, separate systems.
  • You will be able to add products to your legacy systems. We'll have more to share on the experience come May. 
  • No, Sonos players are a system and won’t operate properly with different versions in one system.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969/index5.html#post16394743

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hopefully @Ryan S can clarify if both legacy and new devices will work together for streaming in group mode or are we waiting on further clarification on this? Or as I saw in a reply from Sonos on Twitter, it won’t be possible post May update?

1. It already been stated by Sonos on Twitter that if you want your non legacy devices i.e. current devices to receive updates, then you must split your system into legacy and non legacy and if you do so Sonos confirmed that you will NOT be able to group legacy and non legacy together in party mode. (The tweet from Sonos confirming this was referenced to earlier in this thread) - Ryan if this statement is incorrect could you clarify the exact situation please as I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone.
  2. Alternatively, Sonos has stated you can keep legacy and non legacy together in a “legacy” system\mode in which case you can group them together, but if you do this you will get NO Updates for your “current” devices, there has also been a statement that you MAY get “some” bug fixes for legacy devices dependant on Sonos thinking they can supply the fixes for the legacy devices - Sonos have not provided any guarantees that they will provide any bug fixes for legacy devices or stated for how long they might perhaps provide bug fixes for- Ryan if this statement is incorrect could you clarify the exact situation please as I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone.
  3. Ryan stated publicly on this thread that over time streaming services will stop working \ degrade for legacy devices - Ryan if this statement is incorrect could you clarify the exact situation please as I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone.

Ryan if any of the above is not factually correct please offer a correction please - as clarity would be most welcome

Totally agree. 

I’d say rather the “surrogates” in this thread (or fanboy, or shill, or other veiled pejorative one prefers) are just trying to bring facts and real-world application of those facts back into the light whenever possible, because they so often get buried among the rants and inaccuracies repeated again and again. There’s plenty of justified anger on the issue at hand and I’ve seen the same “surrogates” express just as much as any over time, though in a more measured and “what do we do now?” manner, trying to help those that wander to this thread in anger find a way to move on. If without Sonos, that’s fine - no one would fault anyone at this point for making that choice, so long as it’s a decision made with facts, not conjecture of hell-and-damnation. 
I’m just as disappointed as anyone else personally, but keeping things in perspective is helpful.

Surrogate is not a veiled pejorative. It accurately describes the posters who are answering concerns instead of Sonos themselves. These are Sonos community but they are absent in providing any new information that we as customers want and deserve.

Well, alright then… that wasn’t the vibe I got. Happy to be corrected.
Sonos reps have showed up on and on throughout this thread and others. Ryan and others have stepped in quite a number of times. Much of what they’ve said is just being reiterated by others as time goes on for those that have come to this thread (now 130+ pages long) later and not read (who can blame them?) the previous posts. Also, a fair amount has been left unsaid - there are certainly questions remaining but they’re not forthcoming, and yeah, that’s frustrating, but it doesn’t mean that the forum-regulars passing on clarifications ad nauseum as the conversations inevitably repeat in any way means they’re trying “really hard to wash over [this] fact”.  They’re trying to help.

Hopefully @Ryan S can clarify if both legacy and new devices will work together for streaming in group mode or are we waiting on further clarification on this? Or as I saw in a reply from Sonos on Twitter, it won’t be possible post May update?

It’s been clarified many times. Current modern devices now sold will work together just as they do now if the system is left in a legacy firmware state, now and in May. This includes adding newly purchased modern devices to a legacy network environment. Whether the same is true for devices yet to be released is unknown.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Totally agree. 

Sonos reps have showed up on and on throughout this thread and others. Ryan and others have stepped in quite a number of times. Much of what they’ve said is just being reiterated by others as time goes on for those that have come to this thread (now 130+ pages long) later and not read (who can blame them?) the previous posts. Also, a fair amount has been left unsaid - there are certainly questions remaining but they’re not forthcoming, and yeah, that’s frustrating, but it doesn’t mean that the forum-regulars passing on clarifications ad nauseum as the conversations inevitably repeat in any way means they’re trying “really hard to wash over [this] fact”. They’re trying to help.

He’s right though isn’t he when he say’s that Sonos are offering us the wonderful opportunity to

.. keep obsolete and new products in an out of date state”

It’s a pretty awful state of affairs to be left in as a customer and its not something I nor perhaps others will forget in a hurry.

And before you tell me I could split my system - yes I know that I could, but then I would lose the ability to group old and new together - and that grouping function together with the promise that I could keep adding to my system over the years building on and linking to what I already own was what sold Sonos to me. Neither of these things are true anymore if you have one or more legacy devices.

You would either have a legacy system with legacy devices and modern devices, or a modern system and a legacy system. If it’s all one legacy system, than yes, they’ll group together, but if it’s two separate systems, than they’re two, separate systems.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969/index5.html#post16394743

Sonos reps have showed up on and on throughout this thread and others. Ryan and others have stepped in quite a number of times. Much of what they’ve said is just being reiterated by others as time goes on for those that have come to this thread (now 130+ pages long) later and not read (who can blame them?) the previous posts. Also, a fair amount has been left unsaid - there are certainly questions remaining but they’re not forthcoming, and yeah, that’s frustrating, but it doesn’t mean that the forum-regulars passing on clarifications ad nauseum as the conversations inevitably repeat in any way means they’re trying “really hard to wash over [this] fact”. They’re trying to help.

He’s right though isn’t he when he say’s that Sonos are offering us the wonderful opportunity to

It’s a pretty awful state of affairs to be left in as a customer and its not something I nor perhaps others will forget in a hurry.

And before you tell me I could split my system - yes I know that I could, but then I would lose the ability to group old and new together - and that grouping function together with the promise that I could keep adding to my system over the years building on and linking to what I already own was what sold Sonos to me. Neither of these things are true anymore if you have one or more legacy devices.

Yes. It sucks. I was angry for the first few days. I’ve let it go. My approach is modular now. I may add additional Sonos in the future, I may not. We’ve all had our eyes opened to anything IoT related. Too bad Sonos, at such cost, is the provider of this lesson to me and many others but it was bound to happen. 
I’ve replaced my Connect with different device that can stream whatever I like for the time being. My Sonos environment will be left legacy. That’s the plan for now. If I need to stream from services that may become deprecated in the future, I’ll use the new streaming box I have, or AirPlay to my Sonos One for as long as that’s viable; luckily what’s least likely by far to change in a legacy environment is the simple zone pairing functionality and passing audio from network/local shares as well as Line-In feeds. I’m endeavoring to have to replace ONLY the streamer (whichever I may have) in the future and keeping it separate from Sonos. For my part, I’m actually happier with this new arrangement for quite a number of reasons. Onward.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It’s been clarified many times. Current modern devices now sold will work together just as they do now if the system is left in a legacy firmware state, now and in May. This includes adding newly purchased modern devices to a legacy network environment. Whether the same is true for devices yet to be released is unknown.

I think we need to be clear though that when you say “ legacy firmware state” this means both current and legacy devices will GET NO UPDATES from MAY onward.

In other words you would have to effectively keep your obsolete and new products in an out of date state firmware state FOR EVER AND EVER - is this realistic when Ryan has said streaming services will be LOST\Degraded over time if you choose this solution earlier in this thread.

And yes I know there may be some bug fixes for legacy firmware at some stage, but what guarantees are there that these fixes will happen or for how long… weeks? months? years? who knows???? remember Ryan has said streaming services will be LOST\Degraded

None of this makes me feel inclined to “invest” further in Sonos products

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Sonos reps have showed up on and on throughout this thread and others. Ryan and others have stepped in quite a number of times. Much of what they’ve said is just being reiterated by others as time goes on for those that have come to this thread (now 130+ pages long) later and not read (who can blame them?) the previous posts. Also, a fair amount has been left unsaid - there are certainly questions remaining but they’re not forthcoming, and yeah, that’s frustrating, but it doesn’t mean that the forum-regulars passing on clarifications ad nauseum as the conversations inevitably repeat in any way means they’re trying “really hard to wash over [this] fact”. They’re trying to help.

Yes. It sucks. I was angry for the first few days. I’ve let it go. My approach is modular now. I may add additional Sonos in the future, I may not. We’ve all had our eyes opened to anything IoT related. Too bad Sonos, at such cost, is the provider of this lesson to me and many others but it was bound to happen. 
I’ve replaced my Connect with different device that can stream whatever I like for the time being. My Sonos environment will be left legacy. That’s the plan for now. If I need to stream from services that may become deprecated in the future, I’ll use the new streaming box I have, or AirPlay to my Sonos One for as long as that’s viable; luckily what’s least likely by far to change in a legacy environment is the simple zone pairing functionality and passing audio from network/local shares as well as Line-In feeds. I’m endeavoring to have to replace ONLY the streamer (whichever I may have) in the future and keeping it separate from Sonos. For my part, I’m actually happier with this new arrangement for quite a number of reasons. Onward.

I’m not angry about it anymore either, but its totally changed my outlook on Sonos (I would never have so much as looked elsewhere)

I will go into a raspberry pi solution for the future - simple hardware and open source software that runs on multiple platforms - not 100% future proof but much better and also the hardware costs are just so cheap even using a decent DAC from Hifi Berry is cheap.

Userlevel 2
Badge

(a)  Spence kills off the CR100 controller in 2018 by sending an update that bricks it (and includes a link to Sonos to purchase a new one).   Spence decided this was easier than breaking into customers’ homes and stealing their CRT100 remotes; but, it achieved the same goal.  .

(b)  Spence requires all owners to register their Sonos devices and share certain data with Sonos.  If users don’t register (and agree to transfer some data to Sonos), then products won’t receive updates.   Spence apparently thinks it OK to demand items of value (i.e., info) from customers notwithstanding they had already paid for the product;

(c)  Spence introduces the “recycling” program at the end of 2019 because he apparently hates the environment as much he hates Sonos’ customer base. 

(d)  Spence decides to sue google because its OK for Pence to steal from customers but its not OK for Google to steal customers from Spence.

(e)  Spence introduces the “legacy/modern” product distinction.   Sonos customer base complains.  Spence says, “sorry…. but not sorry”.

(f)   Sonos goes public under Spence at 15/share.   It is currently trading at less than $14.  

Everything we loved about Sonos occurred before Spence.  Everything we now hate about Sonos happened because of Spence.   Fire Spence!!! We want a new CEO!!!! We want a new CEO!!!

Last point on Spence.   He has way too many photos of himself in short-sleeved shirts.  Trying waaaay to hard to look like you fit in a tech company Spence.   

You helped destroy blackberry when you were there.  And you’re off to a great start at Sonos.

NEW CEO NOW!

New CEO now!

I think we need to be clear though that when you say “ legacy firmware state” this means both current and legacy devices will GET NO UPDATES from MAY onward.

In other words you would have to effectively keep your obsolete and new products in an out of date state firmware state FOR EVER AND EVER - is this realistic when Ryan has said streaming services will be LOST\Degraded over time if you choose this solution earlier in this thread.

And yes I know there may be some bug fixes for legacy firmware at some stage, but what guarantees are there that these fixes will happen or for how long… weeks? months? years? who knows???? remember Ryan has said streaming services will be LOST\Degraded

None of this makes me feel inclined to “invest” further in Sonos products

Yes, you’re right. I’m just not inclined to repeat it all over and over. But those are important distinctions. When I said “legacy firmware state” that is indeed what I meant. Bug fixes will be less necessary because the firmware/controller version will remain relatively unchanged, e.g. if nothing new is introduced in that platform version, there’s nothing new to fix.
Regardless, yes, investing further in ANY ecosystem entirely is something I’m now less inclined to do, Sonos or otherwise, audio-related or not. That’s the lesson here. That’s also not to say I can’t make Sonos work for me for the foreseeable future, but (as with any  turn-key solution) having everything within one protected garden is something I’ve never subscribed to (Apple comes to mind) and Sonos has been the only exception. They’re no longer an exception. That’s fine.

New devices, i.e. those that do not exist now won’t be able to be added to legacy systems. The ‘legacy’ software wouldn’t be able to  ‘recognize’ the new device.