End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

But what is it you are trying to achieve? What problem are you trying to solve?  Why not just use your whole system post-May for a while, until such time as you really need to do anything, which might be years away? Why have you upgraded one device?

Have you seen any guarantee from Sonos, that they are going to keep honoring the 30% upgrade discount ?

Can i be sure that if i wait until May, that i will get that discount….And what about if i wait until something “breaks” for legacy devices...For example if Spotify changes something ?

Am i guaranteed that i can trade it in at that time.

Please see the first post in this thread , from Ryan  S.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Yes but you don't need your current iPhone to work cooperatively and in sync with your previous three iPhones, do you?

Perhaps not my previous three iPhones. That’s hardly an Apples to Apples (sorry) comparison as most people sell their old iPhone when they buy a new one. However if you want to use some new features on iOS/Mac OS you do need all your devices to be on the current release of that OS or you end up with a split system (a bit like what Sonos are proposing). For example I currently have:

iPhone 11 Pro Max

iPad Pro 12.8 (2017)

MacBook Pro 15” (2010)

Hackintosh Desktop (currently running High Sierra due to nVidia graphics)

I only have working Apple Notes sync between the iOS devices as iOS 13 massively updated Notes and it will now only sync with devices on iOS 13/Mac OS Catalina. Even for notes that use no new features.

@MIBUK, it would take years to develop and test such a “box”. It’s not coming.

They could do this very quickly for the Connect”amp and the play5.    All they need to do is take the electronic guts from a current play1 and put it into a small package like an echo dot with line out.  It does not even need speakers.  This would keep those two legacy devices going for years.  If they sold it at a very low margin, they could even win back some of the people who have said “never buying Sonos again.”  

I don’t have any experience in manufacturing, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as easy as you paint it here.  I doubt the ‘electronic guts’ can just be wholesale used as is. without significant redesign to fit in to a new box with new power supply, etc.  Then the new code would need to be written.  The whole thing tested and manufacturer.  All this for a relatively small market that will only get smaller in time.  I just can’t accept the assumptions you’re making here.  I would be absolutely shocked if such a device is ever sold.

But what is it you are trying to achieve? What problem are you trying to solve?  Why not just use your whole system post-May for a while, until such time as you really need to do anything, which might be years away? Why have you upgraded one device?

Have you seen any guarantee from Sonos, that they are going to keep honoring the 30% upgrade discount ?

Can i be sure that if i wait until May, that i will get that discount….And what about if i wait until something “breaks” for legacy devices...For example if Spotify changes something ?

There isn’t any end date for the program, which doesn’t mean it’s going to last forever, but it’s highly unlike that it’s just going to completely disappear without notice one day.  The odds of this program going away before May has to be very, very low.  That would clearly turn away many customers.  As well, I imagine the cost of the program is already accounted for as a liability in some way.

From (bold added): https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

They could do this very quickly for the Connect”amp and the play5.    All they need to do is take the electronic guts from a current play1 and put it into a small package like an echo dot with line out.  It does not even need speakers.  This would keep those two legacy devices going for years.  If they sold it at a very low margin, they could even win back some of the people who have said “never buying Sonos again.”  

I don’t have any experience in manufacturing, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as easy as you paint it here.  I doubt the ‘electronic guts’ can just be wholesale used as is. without significant redesign to fit in to a new box with new power supply, etc.  Then the new code would need to be written.  The whole thing tested and manufacturer.  All this for a relatively small market that will only get smaller in time.  I just can’t accept the assumptions you’re making here.  I would be absolutely shocked if such a device is ever sold.

One of the problems is Sonos has such a device - its called a Port (previously Connect) and its not a cheap device. Selling a cut down version is going to significantly cut into its market, plus reduce sales from those who would otherwise upgrade to new speakers. Sonos won’t do that unfortunately. 

A Google or Amazon can deliver a cheap device as mostly they care about getting service customers not hardware customers but Sonos aren’t in the same position, they make no ongoing profit after sale. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

From what I’ve read Sonos is due to release a Play:5 gen 3 in the foreseeable future,which, if they’ve learned anything from this fiasco will be built to accomodate changing technology, thus giving them a much longer life expectancy.

From The Verge:

Sonos is Gearing Up For New Hardware

“In terms of existing devices, I think the Play:5 is the most likely candidate to be upgraded. The second-gen Play:5 launched in 2015 — so it’s certainly due for a revision — and Sonos could easily add a voice mic array to its most premium and best-sounding speaker in the same way it did with the Sonos One. The company would include other enhancements to audio performance in a potential Sonos Five since it has previously said that it doesn’t upgrade products unless there’s plenty of reason to do so.”

So rather than replace my gen 1’s with gen 2’s, which may only last for a few years, I‘m  willing to stick with them until they die, at which point I can live with my 2 ones and 2 threes until I can gradually replace the whole thing with gen 3 Play:5’s, which, if Sonos has any brains, should be designed to last a long time (or at the very least 5 years after release plus 5 after end of sale = 10yrs).

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The world divides into two groups. 

1. Those who accept that Sonos is s tightly integrated system, not just a collection of devices, and that therefore certain core requirements are needed in every device if the system is to do more and more things. The fact that the legacy devices have the smallest memory is consistent with this.

2. Those who believe that Sonos is making that up and are a bunch of profiteering, disloyal, lying cheats who are only doing this to sell new products.

Never the twain shall meet. Let's just stick to our own tribes.

It was beaten into me in school many decades ago that unless there were very good reasons for it (like preserving life and limb), tightly coupled systems were baaaad. I’ve been thinking about this recently, for reasons that are all now too apparent. 

Consider a 3d camp: those who agree with #1 but believe that there are acceptable work-around compromises for Sonos to unpaint themselves from that corner, certainly at some cost to them but a worthwhile investment in integrity that would dissuade old & new consumers from joining camp #2. 

Tick-tock. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

The code exists.  The hardware exists.  In a play 1, it is attached to a speaker that needs to be a line out.   This is not rocket science.  The hardest part is making it look nice and figuring if it is worth keeping old customers or build the future on new customers. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The code exists.  The hardware exists.  In a play 1, it is attached to a speaker that needs to be a line out.   This is not rocket science.  The hardest part is making it look nice and figuring if it is worth keeping old customers or build the future on new customers. 

There have always been two types of people in this world “doers” and those who always search for and find a reason why something cannot be done.

BTW not only does the hardware exist but if you look inside a play 1 its modular already so extracting the elements you need would be even easier than you might expect.

That said I don’t expect Sonos will do this or sell / manufacture anything to overcome the issue.

When you look at the price of Google Home and Alexa and the functionality they provide including stereo pairing and grouping, it sorta becomes hard to justify spending more on Sonos who’s products are very expensive by comparison. If I lose support for a google\amazon device its much cheaper to replace than a sonos device and its given me much more functionality during its lifetime.

There have always been two types of people in this world “doers” and those who always search for and find a reason why something cannot be done.

BTW not only does the hardware exist but if you look inside a play 1 its modular already so extracting the elements you need would be even easier than you might expect.

That said I don’t expect Sonos will do this or sell / manufacture anything to overcome the issue.

When you look at the price of Google Home and Alexa and the functionality they provide including stereo pairing and grouping, it sorta becomes hard to justify spending more on Sonos who’s products are very expensive by comparison. If I lose support for a google\amazon device its much cheaper to replace than a sonos device and its given me much more functionality during its lifetime.

So what you are saying is that some people will always be happy to take their journey in an old Ford Anglia, or a cheap ‘easy to repair’ Mini-style motor car, whilst others may prefer a little more comfort and style along the way.

‘You pays your money and you takes your choice’, I guess.

When it comes to listening to audio though, I much prefer the sound that a TruePlay tuned Sonos speaker can produce rather than the rival ‘component’ products that you mention. Sonos have far more ‘style and comfort’, so to speak.

You may eventually get to the same destination in the end, despite breakdowns and repairs etc; but I very much doubt the journey travelled would have been anywhere near as pleasurable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

So what you are saying is that some people will always be happy to take their journey in an old Ford Anglia, or a cheap ‘easy to repair’ Mini-style motor car, whilst others may prefer a little more comfort and style along the way.

‘You pays your money and you takes your choice’, I guess.

When it comes to listening to audio though, I much prefer the sound that a TruePlay tuned Sonos speaker can produce rather than the rival ‘component’ products that you mention. Sonos have far more ‘style and comfort’, so to speak.

You may eventually get to the same destination in the end, despite breakdowns and repairs etc; but I very much doubt the journey travelled would have been anywhere near as pleasurable.

What a bizarre response / analogy - equating Ford Anglia’s (built 1939 - 1967) with Google Home and Alexa and linking Google Home and Alexa to the ‘breakdown’s and need for ‘repairs’ that a 50+ year old vehicle might require \ experience.

I mean its such an odd thing to suggest \ compare.

Although that said, I think a journey in a lovely old Ford Anglia could be most pleasurable.

Goodbye S.

I should have maybe chosen a ‘Kit Car’ with 'perhaps' some (copied) unlicensed component parts… that might have been a slightly better analogy than a Ford Anglia. (Note to self… try harder next time). 👋

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Goodbye S.

I should have maybe chosen a ‘Kit Car’ with 'perhaps' some (copied) unlicensed component parts… that might have been a slightly better analogy than a Ford Anglia. (Note to self… try harder next time). 👋

This is getting weirder. 

You’ve changed your analogy from a 50 year Ford Anglia; to now suggesting using Google Home and Alexa devices is analogous to driving a kit car that you have built yourself and thus you will experience breakdowns and need to carry out repairs to your Google Home \ Alexa devices much as you would to a kit car...

This modified analogy makes absolutely no sense to me. Google Home \ Alexa devices are manufactured by two of the largest companies in the world - not by someone in their garage using a secondhand engine and running gear plus a fibreglass body.

Mass produced products and kit cars are simply not comparable - to suggest Sonos is a Mercedes (I think this is what you meant by “others may prefer a little more comfort and style along the way”) whereas Google Home\ Alexa is a kit car built in someone’s garage just doesn't make any sense.

As an aside though, not all kit cars are subject to unreliability as you suggest and I have seen some very nice kit cars which had been extremely well built by their owners that were both stylist and comfortable and which I would have been very happy to undertake a journey in.

Goodbye S.

I do see you have some difficulty understanding a few things around here, including the main Sonos Announcements, just to briefly highlight some text from your earlier posts...

1. “Customers do not expect their Hifi system to be made defunct overnight” 
  2. “You have at a stroke made half of my system obsolete”.
  3. “Only a complete idiot would opt to upgrade their kit after being treated like this”.
  4. “Only a total idiot would spend money on your products after being dropped in it like this, why should you decide 50% of my kit is defunct!”

These are just ‘a few of the many' misconceptions in your previous posts... and clearly you present a one-sided 'biased' view.

It does seem like you are not comprehending what the Sonos  announcements really mean... There is no mention in those announcements that your devices will become obsolete, or defunct at all.

Perhaps read this media article link below... it at least tries to give a slightly more 'balanced view' of what the Sonos announcement means. 

https://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-ending-support-decade-old-speakers-really-isnt-big-deal

And just to add... None of us actually know yet if we will be able to play to both a 'legacy' and 'modern' system at the same time, in sync, which seems to be your biggest bugbear. You just need to patiently wait and see the detail. Whilst some things may not be possible via the Sonos app, there still maybe other possibilities to play to Sonos devices, even in different “Households” on the same subnet, such as via the Sonos API, AirPlay, Connect/Cast options within a 3rd party App, Line-In etc. 

...time will tell.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The first announcement as well as the second indicated that legacy & new would not interoperate & Sonos has not retreated from that statement in the least. 

“Two ‘households’ on one subnet” is not whole-house audio; without unity of control and audio synchronization its “divided-house” audio. 

Ever been to a stadium when they’re trying to get the audio delay(s) set correctly across the entire venue?  When it’s out of whack, It’s total cacophony and nothing is intelligible until it’s dialed in properly. 

So no, that functionality is not preserved, hence why many say Sonos is breaking the legacy products. 

Maybe people with only one or two devices don’t get this part??

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Goodbye S.

I do see you have some difficulty understanding a few things around here, including the main Sonos Announcements, just to briefly highlight some text from your earlier posts...

1. “Customers do not expect their Hifi system to be made defunct overnight” 
  2. “You have at a stroke made half of my system obsolete”.
  3. “Only a complete idiot would opt to upgrade their kit after being treated like this”.
  4. “Only a total idiot would spend money on your products after being dropped in it like this, why should you decide 50% of my kit is defunct!”

These are just ‘a few of the many' misconceptions in your previous posts... and clearly you present a one-sided 'biased' view.

It does seem like you are not comprehending what the Sonos  announcements really mean... There is no mention in those announcements that your devices will become obsolete, or defunct at all.

Perhaps read this media article link below... it at least tries to give a slightly more 'balanced view' of what the Sonos announcement means. 

https://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-ending-support-decade-old-speakers-really-isnt-big-deal

And just to add... None of us actually know yet if we will be able to play to both a 'legacy' and 'modern' system at the same time, in sync, which seems to be your biggest bugbear. You just need to patiently wait and see the detail. Whilst some things may not be possible via the Sonos app, there still maybe other possibilities to play to Sonos devices, even in different “Households” on the same subnet, such as via the Sonos API, AirPlay, Connect/Cast options within a 3rd party App, Line-In etc. 

...time will tell.

mmmm...

You say I have difficulty understanding “things around here”….  

I think my response to that would be that I may just hold a different opinion to you.

My holding a different opinion does not make me (as you suggest) biased, it doesn’t make me (as you suggest) one sided, and your suggesting that I need to understand “things around here” is perhaps not the best way to bring me on board with your thoughts and ideas.

Turning to your rather surprising decision to pick through every response I have every made on this forum so you could quote me and suggest I am biased and ill conceived in my thoughts and comments. I’m afraid I don’t think this is a productive behaviour and in general its not something that I think helps further discussion, so I don’t think I’ll respond to this behaviour.

Sadly having a dig at someone isn’t a terrific way to win an argument or discussion.

Perhaps it would be best if you tried “playing the ball… rather than the man” ?

That said I have to disagree with your final suggestion that I was wrong to initially be annoyed that half of my system is to become obsolete.

You are now arguing that 50% of my system is not going to become obsolete - This is rather silly - I’ve just looked it up and the word literally means “out of date” the very thing the firmware on these devices will become.

Oh, and just to add… for the sake of clarity Sonos has stated (and I have asked Ryan) that users will NOT be able to group legacy and current products if you split your system to enable current products to get updates - so we do know the answer to that point.

“Two ‘households’ on one subnet” is not whole-house audio; without unity of control and audio synchronization its “divided-house” audio. 

Ever been to a stadium when they’re trying to get the audio delay(s) set correctly across the entire venue?  When it’s out of whack, It’s total cacophony and nothing is intelligible until it’s dialed in properly. 

So no, that functionality is not preserved, hence why many say Sonos is breaking the legacy products. 

But it still maybe possible to AirPlay, or connect/cast to network devices (in sync) at the same time, outside the 'Sonos Household' structure and Sonos App.

It is possible, even at this moment in time, to stream audio, in sync, to both Sonos products and Apple HomePods on the same network, for example ...and obviously the Apple products exist outside of a Sonos Household structure. 

We won’t actually know what will actually be the case, until we see the way the modern/legacy ‘divide’ is implemented and if the Sonos API, will allow such similar opportunities for ‘Networked Device' connection beyond a ‘Sonos Household' perimeter.

In addition to the publicised announcements, the link below is perhaps all you, me and everyone else knows at the moment about the May 2020 changes for now...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

Another useful link ...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4798

Anything else, is simply pure speculation/guesswork, at least until Sonos announce their actual plans in May, going forward. 

I think it’s just best to wait patiently and see what they have to say, rather than stressing too much about the matter. I certainly would not be making any decisions like the user 'Goodbye Sonos, who says he will never buy Sonos products again… I would at least wait until the full picture emerges, before making such brash decisions. That seems to me to be an example of ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow, things just got uglier for Sonos.

Denon is now launching their new Denon Home 150, 250 and 350 in direct competition with sonos.

These will offcourse be backward compatible with their current HEOS line of speakers and will feature amongst other things :

• Support Spotify and all the other streaming services, and play via Wifi, Airplay 2 or Bluetooth
  • Full house integrated multiroom solution
  • Hi res sound : 192KHz/24 bit FLAC, WAV, ALAC and DSD 2.8/5.6MHZ via network or usb port.
  • Fast access to streaming channels, save between 3-6 channels that can be activated without the smartphone app.
  • Voice control, Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri
  • Stereo pairing of speakers.
  • Flexible connectivity, the built in USB port accepts storage media and there is also a Ethernet and 3.5mm AUX Port.

The prices i have seen indicates that the 150 is about the price of a 1, the 250 is more expensive than a 3 and the 350 is about 15% more expensive than a 5

I know that these products are probably gonna be obsoleted like the sonos products, but instead of swapping a 5 gen 1 to a 5 gen 2, maybe it is time to swap it to a Home 250 that is brand new, and will probably receive updates longer than the already 5 year old 5.

If i were Sonos i would be peeing my pants even more right now

Why would Sonos care?  Denon is still paying them licensing fees for stealing Sonos’ tech.  Also, the Denon multi-room speakers have never cracked the Top 10 here:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Wireless-Multiroom-Digital-Music-Systems/zgbs/electronics/12097482011

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Why would Sonos care?  Denon is still paying them licensing fees for stealing Sonos’ tech.  Also, the Denon multi-room speakers have never cracked the Top 10 here:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Wireless-Multiroom-Digital-Music-Systems/zgbs/electronics/12097482011

Because before #sonosgate, a lot of people were not even looking at alternative options when they needed a new speaker, the loyal sonos crowd believed sonos when they said that their system was a multiroom system that you could build on to a little like lego bricks, over the years.

Now these people have gotten a wakeup call, and begun looking around for other options instead of dumping more money into the black hole that now is sonos, with the clear prospect that any money you spend will just buy you a little bit of time until the next kit needs replacing even if there is nothing wrong with it.

Even if they only take a few percent of sonos’s earnings that is still gonna hurt.

As the Best Sellers page at Amazon shows, this thread is not a microcosm of the market. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Link that shows they are still paying them?

The problem here, is Sonos has a proven track record of lying to it’s customers. When they first announced they were collecting user metrics they said if you didn’t opt in you would stop getting updates and your devices would stop working.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/

I have been blocking the Sonos metrics domain for years and everything has continued to work just fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

As the Best Sellers page at Amazon shows, this thread is not a microcosm of the market. 

Maybe so but as a less tech focused, less angry member of the thread, and a wall to wall Sonos guy with many devices and having been previously exceptionally happy … I am also one of those that have found alternatives that I would never even have looked for or at. And I think that was DK’s point.

Fact; since this horror show started, I am now a Roon subscriber, a Tidal user and am looking at the world of DAC’s amps and all that cocktail of stuff. And it looks far from bad. 

Will I go that way, not sure. What I am damn sure of is that had Sonos played the game just a little better then I’d never even thought of looking and trying or buying.

And Indeed that with the right statements and full clarity from Sonos I may very well remain a Sonos user and let those subs and experiments hang. But somewhat less in love with than I was. 

As said in another post, not divorced yet, and would prefer fix the relationship. But if the right words and actions don’t come then there are very eligible fish in the distributed audio sea.