Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I honestly don’t know what to make of this update. I see a lot of ppl are happy. I still find my playbar sounds better with a pair of Sonos one connect in surround. That was my first impression when I tried it last week and is still the case after the latest update.

The arc isn’t terrible but it’s not impressive. I have the same configuration and setup at the playbar arc+ 2 ones in surround. I am still inclined to return the arc and maybe rebuying down the line. 

it just doesn’t sound like a $1k soundbar. 

Unfortunately I performed the update just now and tested 40hz and various songs and the bass is doing the same exact thing as before, sounds likes speakers are beyond capacity and broken when above 70% volume level (previously 50%)

@ RYAN.S I’ve already contacted Sonos support regarding this issue last week. Do you suggest I exchange this unit or wait for another update? I don’t want be stuck with this problem when the return window closes. Thank you 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I honestly don’t know what to make of this update. I see a lot of ppl are happy. I still find my playbar sounds better with a pair of Sonos one connect in surround. That was my first impression when I tried it last week and is still the case after the latest update.

The arc isn’t terrible but it’s not impressive. I have the same configuration and setup at the playbar arc+ 2 ones in surround. I am still inclined to return the arc and maybe rebuying down the line. 

What kind of content are you comparing with?

FWIW with a pair of Play1’s and Sub, I’m finding the Arc is much better for TV and movies than the Playbar but the Playbar’s tonal quality on music is still much better, while the Arc has too much of an artificial surround effect on music that borders on distasteful.

With that said, turning off the Sub, I’m stunned that the Arc itself has very little bass, even compared to the PlayBar. It’s got about the bass punch of a Beam, no more than that, so perhaps if you’re not adding a Sub, your observation is on point about being disappointed in the Arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone,

We released a software update today to address a bug that resulted in audio distortion for some customers listening to bass-heavy content at higher volumes on Arc.

Make sure you’re updated to 12.0.1 to get the latest release.

@Ryan S , thanks for the update. Unfortunately the bass is still sounding really bad.. I tried multiple movie scenes (opening 2 min of Captain Marvel), and music (Dr Carter by Lil Wayne) and it does not sound good at all, it really sounds defective and like the speakers are blown. What is the next step here? It seems like some of us have different units because this is incredibly obvious to hear. 

I have to return by Saturday and it looks like that’s what’s going to happen.. I guess I’m going to buy the beam.. which is so weird because it’s half the price and sounds better. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What kind of content are you comparing with?

FWIW with a pair of Play1’s and Sub, I’m finding the Arc is much better for TV and movies than the Playbar but the Playbar’s tonal quality on music is still much better, while the Arc has too much of an artificial surround effect on music that borders on distasteful.

With that said, turning off the Sub, I’m stunned that the Arc itself has very little bass, even compared to the PlayBar. It’s got about the bass punch of a Beam, no more than that, so perhaps if you’re not adding a Sub, your observation is on point about being disappointed in the Arc.

I agree to a degree. The difference is more noticeable for music than TV. The bass is lacking on the arc. Maybe it’s just the physical limitation of the device. I was happy with the playbar without sub. 

for tv and movies I’d say it’s close compared to the playbar. I guess I didn’t appreciate just how good the playbar was until I compared it to the Arc. 
I didn’t realize that upgrading to the arc would involve sacrifice in sound quality while gaining in future proofing  

I guess what I really want is a playbar with a new chip and ram for the future

After updating the app then going back and updating the arc itself, definitely notice a positive change in sound. I’m starting to be more satisfied with my purchase after the update. 

👍 Sonos. 

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately I performed the update just now and tested 40hz and various songs and the bass is doing the same exact thing as before, sounds likes speakers are beyond capacity and broken when above 70% volume level (previously 50%)

@ RYAN.S I’ve already contacted Sonos support regarding this issue last week. Do you suggest I exchange this unit or wait for another update? I don’t want be stuck with this problem when the return window closes. Thank you 

Thats unfortunate. I played the 40 hz test tone all the way up to 80-85% volume with no problems.  

I made sure the ARC was updated to 12.0.1 in about system/firmware. The bass still makes a overexte/muddy sound above 70% for music and the 40hz test the bass is substantially muted at higher volumes and pops when changing volume increments at high levels.

Userlevel 1

Here’s how the update works - It’s an adaptive limiter and high pass filter. As the volume is raised, the lower frequencies are bypassed. Penatrator by Pleasukraft at 55% extends to about 30hz. At 75% volume it’s high passed closer to 80hz and seems to be limited in volume as well. Sweeping a 65hz tone shows what I mean. Abov 55% volume and it doesn’t get any louder, just strange. 

Basically the mids and highs on the arc can outrun the bass above 50% volume, so they have to calm it down. 

glad I own the sub. 

I ran the update and I too am feeling better about the sound. What I am noticing is that the bass sounds very full at about 25-40% but dissipates as the volume increases beyond that. Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Here’s how the update works - It’s an adaptive high pass filter. As the volume is raised, the lower frequencies are bypassed. Penatrator by Pleasukraft at 50% extends to about 30hz. At 75% volume it’s high passed closer to 80hz. 

Basically the mics and highs on the arc can outrun the bass above 50% volume, so they have to calm it down. 

glad I own the sub. 

I just read your comment after posting mine and this sounds like a viable explanation for why the bass sounds great and full at lower volumes but weaker as the volume increases. I’m assuming the sub makes a world of difference? 

Userlevel 1

Here’s how the update works - It’s an adaptive high pass filter. As the volume is raised, the lower frequencies are bypassed. Penatrator by Pleasukraft at 50% extends to about 30hz. At 75% volume it’s high passed closer to 80hz. 

Basically the mics and highs on the arc can outrun the bass above 50% volume, so they have to calm it down. 

glad I own the sub. 

I just read your comment after posting mine and this sounds like a viable explanation for why the bass sounds great and full at lower volumes but weaker as the volume increases. I’m assuming the sub makes a world of difference? 

Yes the sub makes a world of difference. Think of the Arc as  mid / high speaker that can do sub bass at very low volumes.

Sonos did the right thing though. The wrong move would have been to make 55% volume = 100% volume with no sub. Then you’d never notice, and buying the sub would unlock higher volume levels. Technically that’ right for perfect frequency response, but it’s a sound bar, the trade off is less surface area for the drivers, which means less bass, but you get a simplified setup. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

glad I own the sub. 

Yes the sub makes a world of difference. Think of the Arc as  mid / high speaker that can do sub bass at very low volumes.

Sonos did the right thing though. The wrong move would have been to make 55% volume = 100% volume with no sub. Then you’d never notice, and buying the he sub would unlock higher volume levels. Technically thats right for more perfect frequency response, but it’s a sound bar, the trade off is less surface area for the drivers in turn for a simplified set up. 

I understand what you’re saying but it doesn’t explain everything. I have a beam that extends lower and smoother than my Arc. The Beam doesn’t get as loud and definitely less immersive but the bass doesn’t “fart out” like the Arc does. So my question remains- how can I be getting worse low end from the Arc with its larger and additional drivers than the Beam? It’s an entirely different experience

Userlevel 1

I understand what you’re saying but it doesn’t explain everything. I have a beam that extends lower and smoother than my Arc. The Beam doesn’t get as loud and definitely less immersive but the bass doesn’t “fart out” like the Arc does. So my question remains- how can I be getting worse low end from the Arc with its larger and additional drivers than the Beam? It’s an entirely different experience

I dont know about the Beam, but the number of drivers says nothing about the amount of bass. The Sub has two drivers. Size and frequency response are what matter.

The beam may have crammed in a few larger drivers, or maybe the Beam is limiting in volume rather than frequency response. Is the Beam at 100% about as loud as the Arc at 60%? That may be your answer. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

After the update, I don’t know if I’m going mad, but find my Sonos Beam still has better bass coming from it, I played the same few tracks on both and found the Beam sounded better..

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hopefully Ryan S will be along soon to tell us if this is their ‘final’ update or a quick fix with more to come so people can work our where they stand re keeping or returning before windows close

Hi just updated mine and can report the sound / bass issue still remains and it just sounds awful ☹️, looks like this is going to be returned or replaced.

Source - Netflix sttng intro last part where ship does final fly by sounds awful like the speakers blown . Also noticed on few bass heavy films ie avengers endgame etc 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi just updated mine and can report the sound / bass issue still remains and it just sounds awful ☹️, looks like this is going to be returned or replaced.

Source - Netflix sttng intro last part where ship does final fly by sounds awful like the speakers blown . Also noticed on few bass heavy films ie avengers endgame etc 

@zoomzoomz please make sure your firware in your arc updated. The 12.0.1 update is just the app number check the firmware build. Check for updates int he app. There is no farting no cracking after this update. Many complained and then found out they hadnt even updated it

edit: the confusiion stemds because there were 2 updates one for the ap;p the other for the arc 

Check the firmware for the Arc. There is a software update and then a firmware update. The arc firmware ends in 80. If on 80 and still Muddy then obviously an issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got the sub today, easy set up as always.  I can confirm that the sub takes care of the arcs bass issues.  All the films I've watched which had the distorted bass all sound spot on now.  That's with the sub set to -3

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ftm that being the case is the Arc as amazing as you expected it to be? Did you happen to upgrade from another Sonos Soundbar? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Got the sub today, easy set up as always.  I can confirm that the sub takes care of the arcs bass issues.  All the films I've watched which had the distorted bass all sound spot on now.  That's with the sub set to -3

we really gotta stop saying “bass issues “ the bass issue was fixed already with yesterday’s firmware.

if you properly updated and have any issues you might have a defective unit but the widespread bass issue was fixed 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I think the issue now shifts more towards the point of:

it doesn’t sound near as good as people claim in reviews. There hardly is any bass (without sub)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I think the issue now shifts more to the point of:

it doesn’t sound near as good as people claim in reviews. There hardly is any bass (without sub)

LOL. This is never-ending. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Ftm that being the case is the Arc as amazing as you expected it to be? Did you happen to upgrade from another Sonos Soundbar? 

You’re going to have to try the arc for yourself! Many are happy with theirs others say it’s HORRIBLE. Honestly not sure why some people claim that.

but the bass issue was fixed no distortion or cracking anymore. Some say music sounded better in playbar. I think that will come to personal taste in how the soundbars are tuned and the speaker configurations etc. So if you can sample it in a store If not order and try it out and make your own mind