Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The above might be the case perhaps, but there are plenty of re Jews out there suggesting that the Arc has such good bass that there’s no need for a Sub. All of the recent user reports make a mockery of this. I agree that a Play 5 might have slightly better bass but a £800 Soundbar should be better then this. One of the  most impressive things about even the smallest Sonos speakers is how much decent bass they put out for their size. 

Oh god I was going to stop reading when you said Jews. I really hope you meant reviews for the sake of everyone here… geez

On the other hand it might depend on your room man. I am in a smaller room. And I swear testing this at 50 percent I am already overwhelmed with the bass level coming out of the Arc. It has plenty of punch for movies. Not sure what people were expecting for music listening but I can NEVER push pass 50 percent volume on any content and be comfortable with the level produced by the arc. I actually just capped the max volume at 50%. Now if you are in an open floor plan with super open space you might not feel this bass as much. This is when you just need a sub or a bigger speaker there’s no arguing against that man.

I think people need to understand what the arc is it isn't a party speaker to play EDM music at full volume in an outdoor (or super open environment). Yes it is expensive I understand that. But think about it like comparing an iphone to a DSLR camera. you could say $1500 for an iphone 11 pro MAX! Are you insane? I take pics out of this and doesnt even touch my $600 DSLR. Yeah because the iphone has to do many other things than just take pictures and it physically does not have the sensor size of a DSLR camera. It comes down to that. 

The complaints about bad mids and wobling bass I can understand but people say the arc has no bass i just can’t agree. To me sometimes its even too much. Now thats given my smaller room size and such 

My room is around 8m x 4m.  The arc struggles on some movies at 30% volume on Netflix at 5.1

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The above might be the case perhaps, but there are plenty of re Jews out there suggesting that the Arc has such good bass that there’s no need for a Sub. All of the recent user reports make a mockery of this. I agree that a Play 5 might have slightly better bass but a £800 Soundbar should be better then this. One of the  most impressive things about even the smallest Sonos speakers is how much decent bass they put out for their size. 

Oh god I was going to stop reading when you said Jews. I really hope you meant reviews for the sake of everyone here… geez

On the other hand it might depend on your room man. I am in a smaller room. And I swear testing this at 50 percent I am already overwhelmed with the bass level coming out of the Arc. It has plenty of punch for movies. Not sure what people were expecting for music listening but I can NEVER push pass 50 percent volume on any content and be comfortable with the level produced by the arc. I actually just capped the max volume at 50%. Now if you are in an open floor plan with super open space you might not feel this bass as much. This is when you just need a sub or a bigger speaker there’s no arguing against that man.

I think people need to understand what the arc is it isn't a party speaker to play EDM music at full volume in an outdoor (or super open environment). Yes it is expensive I understand that. But think about it like comparing an iphone to a DSLR camera. you could say $1500 for an iphone 11 pro MAX! Are you insane? I take pics out of this and doesnt even touch my $600 DSLR. Yeah because the iphone has to do many other things than just take pictures and it physically does not have the sensor size of a DSLR camera. It comes down to that. 

The complaints about bad mids and wobling bass I can understand but people say the arc has no bass i just can’t agree. To me sometimes its even too much. Now thats given my smaller room size and such 

My room is around 8m x 4m.  The arc struggles on some movies at 30% volume on Netflix at 5.1

Please confirm you haev the new firmware build (not Ios app 12.0.1 but the new build) also, as I understand you mean your Arc bass is muddy and bottoms out? 

Another theory is it could be due to tuning there might be bugs with the new Trueplay? That could be an explanation for this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Will check the update in a bit, slightly confused as the app updated then checking for updates to Sonos said no update was required and ‘about my system’ also reports it’s on 12.0.1, so not sure what happened but it definitely didn’t update or run the process to the speakers.

I believe it relates more with the Arc hardware build, if you go into the System-->About My System, what does your Arc build report back with?

Mine is updated from the weekend and we had to make sure we were on build 58178180.  I believe 12.0.1 is the iOS or Android app update but the build/firmware update for the Arc is probably more critical to verify that you are indeed on the updated build/firmware.

Oh yeah! Cheers for that, looked right past it (been a long day) All the play 1’s are on 58178090 the arc is on 58178080.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Please confirm you haev the new firmware build (not Ios app 12.0.1 but the new build) also, as I understand you mean your Arc bass is muddy and bottoms out? 

Another theory is it could be due to tuning there might be bugs with the new Trueplay? That could be an explanation for this.

Yes I have the new build 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Some people here reporting that they can play the 40Hz tone without any issues, while others can. That would either indicate a trueplay/room acoustic issue or simply a hardware issue which results from a high variance of the speakers used in the product.

I expect that the gargling bass is cleaned up, if they can’t do that for all Arcs they should replace the few remaining Arcs which can’t be fixed by higher software tolerance.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Accidental mention of Jews was a combination of mistype and bizarre autocorrect...

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Arc definitely has plenty of bass. For my living room, I am not even remotely thinking about getting a sub. I just need Sonos to work a bit more on the bass to make it sound clean. Considering this is a new product, they will get it right somewhere down the line.

This is where I’m at too.  I think the playbar’s bass did sound better, but I think it just felt a little tighter (if that makes sense) sounding versus the Arc’s bass right now.  I don’t know if that makes sense but it’s the best way I can describe it. 

It feels like the Arc has a bigger availability to provide different bass tones compared to the playbar and once they get that figured out so it’s all crisp/good sounding then we should all be happier.

I think as you noted, once they clean that up… the Arc is going to be something I’m happy I purchased.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t have one yet so no personal experience. I’m just stuck trying to decide whether or not to buy one. Already have a Sub and rear surrounds run by a Gen 2 connect but very much wavering on whether it’s going to be a good enough upgrade over the Beam. 

Badge +3

Is this issue you guys are having with just the ARC bass or while also using the new subwoofer? I’m getting nervous...just order both at $1500 and don’t wnat to be bummed out.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Will check the update in a bit, slightly confused as the app updated then checking for updates to Sonos said no update was required and ‘about my system’ also reports it’s on 12.0.1, so not sure what happened but it definitely didn’t update or run the process to the speakers.

I believe it relates more with the Arc hardware build, if you go into the System-->About My System, what does your Arc build report back with?

Mine is updated from the weekend and we had to make sure we were on build 58178180.  I believe 12.0.1 is the iOS or Android app update but the build/firmware update for the Arc is probably more critical to verify that you are indeed on the updated build/firmware.

Oh you are right. Yeah the build will relate to the firmware on the Arc. I checked and after the update I am on the same firmware as you. @mattadamsone , @pyro225 , @MerlinNL  confirm your Arc was updated to this new build . Look under the Arc in about my system there will be a build number. My build for the sonos one and a the top of the app is different (58178190) vs the 58178180 i see under Arc

Confirmed I am on build 8180 for the Arc

Userlevel 2
Badge

@sebas1509 Hey, you are right. The fix 12.0.1 definitely fixed the issue. I only updated the app but missed on actually updating the speaker. Followed below steps as posted by some gentleman in prior comments:

It is possible to update the app without having updated your speaker.  To make sure do the following:

-Open Sonos app

-go to settings

-select system

-select system updates

-select check for updates

After I have the speaker updated and did a trueplay retuning, voila! all the bass distortion issues gone. I replayed all the content that I have had issues with and ranted about, all sounding clean with zero distortions now. 

Now I feel you man. Peace :)

@Ryan S Great job.

People who are still hearing distortions, just make sure you have your speaker also updated apart from app alone by following the steps I have pasted above.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@sebas1509 Hey, you are right. The fix 12.0.1 definitely fixed the issue. I only updated the app but missed on actually updating the speaker. Followed below steps as posted by some gentleman in prior comments:

It is possible to update the app without having updated your speaker.  To make sure do the following:

-Open Sonos app

-go to settings

-select system

-select system updates

After I have the speaker updated and did a trueplay retuning, voila! all the bass distortion issues gone. I replayed all the content that I have had issues with and ranted about, all sounding clean with zero distortions now. 

@Ryan S Great job.

People who are still hearing distortions, just make sure you have your speaker also updated apart from app alone by following the steps I have pasted above.

While updating in my app, I noticed the light 💡 on my Sonos ARC changing colors. So, I knew the speaker was updating, and it sure worked.

Userlevel 2
Badge

-Open Sonos app

-go to settings

-select system

-select system updates

@Ryan S Great job.

While updating in my app, I noticed the light 💡 on my Sonos ARC changing colors. So, I knew the speaker was updating, and it sure worked.

I too noticed that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is this issue you guys are having with just the ARC bass or while also using the new subwoofer? I’m getting nervous...just order both at $1500 and don’t wnat to be bummed out.

I’ve had no issues with my Sonos Sub, and the new update fixed my ARC. The Sonos Sub with the ARC really enhances your home theater experience. You will love every minute of it! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Oh you are right. Yeah the build will relate to the firmware on the Arc. I checked and after the update I am on the same firmware as you. @mattadamsone , @pyro225 , @MerlinNL  confirm your Arc was updated to this new build . Look under the Arc in about my system there will be a build number. My build for the sonos one and a the top of the app is different (58178190) vs the 58178180 i see under Arc

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The above might be the case perhaps, but there are plenty of reviews out there suggesting that the Arc has such good bass that there’s no need for a Sub. All of the recent user reports make a mockery of this. I agree that a Play 5 might have slightly better bass but a £800 Soundbar should be better then this. One of the  most impressive things about even the smallest Sonos speakers is how much decent bass they put out for their size. 

I have read that too Andrew. Definitely not the experience with the Arc so far. My Beam has better low end. Seems like they are working on it. Hopefully we see a fix to the fix soon.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Interesting I have 12 Sonos products connects, amps, connect amps, play 1s, everything is now on the 190 build except the arc? What’s that about? Is 180 an interim build while the finishing touches are in 190? Ryan? 

Userlevel 1

Will Sonos keep improving/updating the Arc or is this it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

That’s the question I have - it is definitely an improvement but not right still. A pair of play 5s in stereo would have just as many drivers I believe and cost around the same but would sound far better as it currently sits (and still have a wide sound stage)

Badge +3

Weird that since the update, some of you say it’s awesome and fixed and others say there is still an issue

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

SONOS always improves - when there are issues or reports of issues they research and change - updates come out to software only, firmware only and both. I have not been let down yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hmm I just updated, and no more muddy bass, 40hz tone can be heard without bottom on it out /clipping. Also to me, it seems that they also did some other tweaks, music seems more “fuller” which is nice.

so i’m definitely amongst the group that has had a good number of issues with the arc (paired with a gen 2 sub and 2 ones) since arrival (tinny, tearing, etc.); i updated to 12.0.1 and music playback sounded better, but not as good as any of my other sonos products (playbar, beam, move, five, etc.); i then re-tuned for trueplay again (used an 11 pro max) and goodness it went from sounding passable back to completely horrific. turning trueplay off brought depth back to the voices but still sounds horrible. i’m charging up my old 6s to retune it again (some have suggested the mic array on newer apple products may be a problem) - will report back will hopefully better results

so i’ve now retuned it twice using a 6s and the level of bass is better, but goodness me, the vocals are now utterly terrible; i’ve tried multiple genres of music as well as TV and everything sounds completely off; i’ve turned off true play and it alters the sound profile, but i can’t necessarily say it’s any better. update 12.0.1 definitely has not fixed the issues with the set up - i don’t believe it has to do with the arc speaker itself, but rather how the system is tuning itself; i say this because even the play:ones sound off

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

i really recommend you not to be nervous or freak out many people are very happy with the arc. Try your new system and judge for yourself you might end up very happy like most of us are! 
the bass issue was real it has been fixed but the software fix 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

That’s the question I have - it is definitely an improvement but not right still. A pair of play 5s in stereo would have just as many drivers I believe and cost around the same but would sound far better as it currently sits (and still have a wide sound stage)

Dude there’s no way the arc is going to compete with the bass of 2 play 5s. It’s simple physics. Legit look at the size of the woofers. Look at the volume of the speakers. Also if you separate physically the speakers you have wider soundstage it’s just obvious.