Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yeah, I’m not hearing it on the playbar or beam.  I know what I’m hearing is not how it’s supposed to sound.  The only way it sounds OK is if I turn the bass down drastically (which in reality, doesn’t sound great) or if I pair another $700 product with it.  

I’ve also played many different clips that I tested on launch day that I immediately noticed it on.  All of them present the same issue but some of the clips are better.

I guess I will wait to see what feedback they want on the next phase of the beta.

and maybe this is stupid to say, but I’ll be honest… when I got the playbar, I was pretty blown away and happy.  I can’t say the same with the Arc.  I didn’t want to spend $800 to listen to certain frequencies.  I wanted to spend $800 to unbox, plug it in, play movies and hear better than playbar sound, and that’s not what I’m getting right now. 

What next phase of the beta? It was widely released as the fix. Please include songs, source, timestamp, recording if possible. That is how you report an issue. This is way to wishy washy. Seems like you have a list of trouble content. Let us know 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Unsure why some report it still has issues. Had noticed the issue before with the test tones, and in some certain scenes. Toystory 3 2:58 showed the issue. I have a playbar to compare to and definitely crackled/farted a bit during this scene. After the update issue is gone. Turn up to 100 percent with 40Hz tone, played bassy music (hiphop) and played the toystory scene all sound good.

Remember guys this is a soundbar. the bass wont compete with a subwoofer or bigger system. Maybe you are expecting different bass from what the arc is supposed to produce. Right now Arc sounds great. I turned off my surrounds and sub for these tests.

I dont think a thing as “step in the right direction” is even a thing. This wasn’t tuning was likely a bug with the DSP that was fixed to avoid this issue from happening.

However, just as a comment I’ve seen people on here and reddit claiming their SONOS one sound bad and distort horribly. Even shared clips. I cant hear much on the clips from my phone, or headphones. I wonder if these people are new to sonos and expecting home theater experience with the arc and sonos ones?

Okay I own a beam, Sonos ones etc. I do know how a distorted bass sounds like vs good one. I am not expecting the bass to compete with subwoofer. Also I am not expecting a different bass, don't know what that means. The bass coming from this Arc for CERTAIN songs/ movie scenes is definitely making crackling noise aka distortions even at volumes 34. Never had this issue with beam at same volume level or higher. Remember BEAM also is just a sound bar.

If you don't hear any such distortions maybe you are lucky but that doesn't mean all is well with Arc and we actually hearing it wrong.

As I said, what content? what time stamp? where are the recordings? If you are saying there’s an issue and want to be taken seriously do the work and tag Ryan and say hey look into this. There is also a remote possibility you got a defective arc. Those definitely exist. Many have had issues with the new sub making ticking noises and got replacements…

I also say I did notice the issue before both with test tones and some movie scenes I would hear the pulsating/farting sound. I do not hear that anymore. So maybe you are onto a different issue, if so you gotta do some better than “Certain scenes! NOT FIXED! there’s crackling “

@sebas1509 Here: Ozark S2E4 and start at 58:00. Set the volume to anything above 35%. The issue was much severe before, it’s definitely not as bad now. But it’s not 100% fixed. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yeah, I’m not hearing it on the playbar or beam.  I know what I’m hearing is not how it’s supposed to sound.  The only way it sounds OK is if I turn the bass down drastically (which in reality, doesn’t sound great) or if I pair another $700 product with it.  

I’ve also played many different clips that I tested on launch day that I immediately noticed it on.  All of them present the same issue but some of the clips are better.

I guess I will wait to see what feedback they want on the next phase of the beta.

and maybe this is stupid to say, but I’ll be honest… when I got the playbar, I was pretty blown away and happy.  I can’t say the same with the Arc.  I didn’t want to spend $800 to listen to certain frequencies.  I wanted to spend $800 to unbox, plug it in, play movies and hear better than playbar sound, and that’s not what I’m getting right now. 

What next phase of the beta? It was widely released as the fix. Please include songs, source, timestamp, recording if possible. That is how you report an issue. This is way to wishy washy. Seems like you have a list of trouble content. Let us know 

I just assume that if they did a ‘beta’ for this release over the past weekend, if there are still people who are reporting the issue still exists but it’s slightly better then I can only imagine they will continue to work on a solution.  

I’ve listened to Prime, Netflix and bluray remux all before on the Beam and Playbar and never had these audio issues previously.

I’ve gone through and reported many of the things you’re asking throughout this entire thread from day one.  I’m just reporting my experience and it appears there are many others who are in the same boat still as it’s gotten better but the issue still persists.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I just assume that if they did a ‘beta’ for this release over the past weekend, if there are still people who are reporting the issue still exists but it’s slightly better then I can only imagine they will continue to work on a solution.  

I’ve listened to Prime, Netflix and bluray remux all before on the Beam and Playbar and never had these audio issues previously.

I’ve gone through and reported many of the things you’re asking throughout this entire thread from day one.  I’m just reporting my experience and it appears there are many others who are in the same boat still as it’s gotten better but the issue still persists.

Can you at least provide 1 or 2 specific scenes in widely available content? Let’s say 1 netflix show scene with timestamp and volume level. Also, check if you get ATMOS, if you do check without atmos (maybe this could potentially be compressed atmos issue?!) I do not get atmos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Can you at least provide 1 or 2 specific scenes in widely available content? Let’s say 1 netflix show scene with timestamp and volume level. Also, check if you get ATMOS, if you do check without atmos (maybe this could potentially be compressed atmos issue?!) I do not get atmos.

Can you test what I gave you? I also get DD5.1 only.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also I just tested penetrator by pleasurekraft on YouTube. The bass crackling is still very pronounced at volume 32. If the issue persists through this Friday my Arc is definitely going back.😞

Try another source, Amazon Prime or Netflix for example, rather than poor quality Youtube videos.

I did played content on Disney plus app. Played captain marvel trailer which I had issue with before update as well. At 1:49 - 1:52 I hear bass still incredibly distorted while the most part bass is very muddy. And culprit is not YouTube.

Badge

Updated to the latest software. Playing on Arc alone, Trueplay ON, Loudness ON, EQ 0 there is still some bass issues. It’s not as pronounced as before, it’s definitely better but playing Pursuit of Happiness - Kid Cudi has quite a bit of bottoming out. I’m worried it’s a hardware issue or the Arc simply can’t handle this song.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Unsure why some report it still has issues. Had noticed the issue before with the test tones, and in some certain scenes. Toystory 3 2:58 showed the issue. I have a playbar to compare to and definitely crackled/farted a bit during this scene. After the update issue is gone. Turn up to 100 percent with 40Hz tone, played bassy music (hiphop) and played the toystory scene all sound good.

Remember guys this is a soundbar. the bass wont compete with a subwoofer or bigger system. Maybe you are expecting different bass from what the arc is supposed to produce. Right now Arc sounds great. I turned off my surrounds and sub for these tests.

I dont think a thing as “step in the right direction” is even a thing. This wasn’t tuning was likely a bug with the DSP that was fixed to avoid this issue from happening.

However, just as a comment I’ve seen people on here and reddit claiming their SONOS one sound bad and distort horribly. Even shared clips. I cant hear much on the clips from my phone, or headphones. I wonder if these people are new to sonos and expecting home theater experience with the arc and sonos ones?

Okay I own a beam, Sonos ones etc. I do know how a distorted bass sounds like vs good one. I am not expecting the bass to compete with subwoofer. Also I am not expecting a different bass, don't know what that means. The bass coming from this Arc for CERTAIN songs/ movie scenes is definitely making crackling noise aka distortions even at volumes 34. Never had this issue with beam at same volume level or higher. Remember BEAM also is just a sound bar.

If you don't hear any such distortions maybe you are lucky but that doesn't mean all is well with Arc and we actually hearing it wrong.

As I said, what content? what time stamp? where are the recordings? If you are saying there’s an issue and want to be taken seriously do the work and tag Ryan and say hey look into this. There is also a remote possibility you got a defective arc. Those definitely exist. Many have had issues with the new sub making ticking noises and got replacements…

I also say I did notice the issue before both with test tones and some movie scenes I would hear the pulsating/farting sound. I do not hear that anymore. So maybe you are onto a different issue, if so you gotta do some better than “Certain scenes! NOT FIXED! there’s crackling “

@sebas1509 Here: Ozark S2E4 and start at 58:00. Set the volume to anything above 35%. The issue was much severe before, it’s definitely not as bad now. But it’s not 100% fixed. 

Ok went back and tested this.

1. wow im impressed by how much bass the arc puts out (for a soundbar)
  2. I do hear strong bass in this scene if I notice carefully I hear sort of a gargling sound I am not sure how to describe it. This lead me to do something. I airplay to my sonos one in the bathroom and ran this scene again at high volume. The sound is still there, it notice it sounds worse in the sonos one

Maybe if you have a beam this isn;t as apparent since the bass isn’t as pronounced? I did not hear any major issues on my arc, or weirdness that wasn’t on the sonos one as well. If I was watching this alone without any inditcation of any bass muddy issues with the arc I wouldn’t have stopped it and said theres something wrong.

Quick question, does your TV have atmos support? if so does this show have atmos? can you try turning it off?

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you have Disney plus app try captain marvel trailer which I had issue with before update as well. To be more specific listen around 1:49 - 1:52 I hear bass still incredibly distorted while the most part bass is very muddy. 

Now play movie and starting scene exactly around 0:58-1:04 bass is distorted clearly. Check it out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

2. I do hear strong bass in this scene if I notice carefully I hear sort of a gargling sound I am not sure how to describe it. This lead me to do something. I airplay to my sonos one in the bathroom and ran this scene again at high volume. The sound is still there, it notice it sounds worse in the sonos one

Maybe if you have a beam this isn;t as apparent since the bass isn’t as pronounced? I did not hear any major issues on my arc, or weirdness that wasn’t on the sonos one as well. If I was watching this alone without any inditcation of any bass muddy issues with the arc I wouldn’t have stopped it and said theres something wrong.

Quick question, does your TV have atmos support? if so does this show have atmos? can you try turning it off?

Not Atmos. Only good old DD5.1 through ATV4K

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The one I’ve reported before John Wick 3 - 0:33 and 0:53.  Those timestamps are both better but not great if you turn it up beyond 30%.  They are minor and quick but they seem to be amplified and show the issue.

The Greatest Showman - 2:05 to 2:30.  There are specific times throughout that 25 seconds where you can clearly hear it if you turn it up anywhere above 30% on my setup. 

6 Underground 3:08-3:11.  There are some very low bass moments that seem to be better but still similar.  Throughout the entire opening sequence too you can listen to.

I signed into a Netflix account to test the last sequence as I do not have a subscription myself.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I wouldn’t say it’s deal breaking or worth returning the Arc. I just want to encourage Sonos to work on the issue a little more as there’s a room for improvement. If they manage to clean that strong bass some more, it would do wonders.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I wouldn’t say it’s deal breaking or worth returning the Arc. I just want to encourage Sonos to work on the issue a little more as there’s a room for improvement. If they manage to clean that strong bass some more, it would do wonders.

100% agree.  My experience on launch day versus what it sounds like today is different.  It certainly has improved with the latest firmware update but I also hope they continue to work on improving it more.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

In my experience, SONOS is good at keeping up with these type of issues and issuing firmware updates to improve the experience of speakers. I know, for example, they did a software update for the playbar that re-tuned it to a better sound profile (in its early days). So for sure please continue to complain here, and make sure to tag the team. 

However, it is important for users to recognize whether or not the bass pulsation/farting issue was resolved. Maybe you still think it’s too muddy or less tight than you’d want it to be. But for sure after runing tests before and after the horrible pulsating/farting issue has been correcting. Consider maybe opening another thread to indicate the issues you are still having.

Also, those last couple of posts contrast from previous posts. Indicating this is not an issue you’d return the arc for is important. Many were vigilant waiting to see if the “BASS ISSUE” would be resolved. And i think it is fair to say that issue was resolved. Yet, some users still want further improvements to tighten the bass and correct possible distortion with some content. I don’t think this is a Arc specific issue, rather than an issue with the Arc that will probably get improved by SONOS in the future. That is the beauty of SONOS and firmware updates.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

What do you guys mean it's still there? If you run a 40hz test tone at max volume and get no distortion how can the issue still be present exactly?

Forget 40hz test tone. I don't know what that is. Just try it out with real content like the song I referenced. I want my arc to sound good distortion free at respectable volume like 40-50 with movies and songs not with 40hz test tones.

Forget it 😂 it's literally a bass test tone to test a speaker, mine sounded absolutely awful before the update and had major bass wobbles now it has a steady tone and sounds great

Do you listen to single frequency tones in your free time or songs? I am curious.

I listen to songs you weirdo. It's a test tone I used to test if the bass wobbled because I seen it in a video. It did pre update it now doesn't end of discussion

Test more then, you genius. Passing 40 Hz test is not a proof of concept. Play the movies in which you actually noticed the issue. I did, and issue is not 100 % gone (I would put my money on it). I can still hear the crackling. 

Wow - people are getting kind of cranky here - Please bring it down a few notches - I get the frustration with it all - Just don’t want all the flames - Got enough of that in the world today.

Badge +1

I've listened to that and mines fine even at 50%

Userlevel 1
Badge

My Arc arrived yesterday, so I installed it and updated to latest production firmware. My first test material was my favorite, the Jurassic Park T-Rex scene. Right away, at the beginning of the scene (played from my 4K Apple TV movie library), I noticed the issue.

At the beginning of the scene, when the T-Rex footsteps are making the glass of water shake, instead of a deep rumble, I hear a bubbly fart sound. It sounds awful, like comical, in the worst way.

Volume was at 50%. Arc at default settings after Trueplay tuning with iPhone 11.

Whatever fix was previously pushed out clearly does NOT address the issue.

@Ryan S , I am confused while back-reading this thread…. is this issue purported to be fixed already, or is the fix still in the works?!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Make sure when you update the app you go back in and apply the updated firmware to the ARC.... 

Can someone explain how to this please rather than must updating the app. I thought that was all that was needed?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

My Arc arrived yesterday, so I installed it and updated to latest production firmware. My first test material was my favorite, the Jurassic Park T-Rex scene. Right away, at the beginning of the scene (played from my 4K Apple TV movie library), I noticed the issue.

At the beginning of the scene, when the T-Rex footsteps are making the glass of water shake, instead of a deep rumble, I hear a bubbly fart sound. It sounds awful, like comical, in the worst way.

Volume was at 50%. Arc at default settings after Trueplay tuning with iPhone 11.

Whatever fix was previously pushed out clearly does NOT address the issue.

@Ryan S , I am confused while back-reading this thread…. is this issue purported to be fixed already, or is the fix still in the works?!

The fix was released legit an hour or so ago. Go on the about system. It should read 12.0.1 that is the fix. Previously everyone was on 12.0.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Make sure when you update the app you go back in and apply the updated firmware to the ARC.... 

Can someone explain how to this please rather than must updating the app. I thought that was all that was needed?

Update the app through apple store or google store. Then after that go in the SONOS app ( you just updated) and check for updates under system settigns etc

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve been keeping my ARC turned off, until we received the official update (was scared to blow out my speaker). I’m going to update my ARC now. Hopefully, everything will be remedied. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

First, update the Sonos S2 app on your phone. Then go to Settings → System → System updates → Check for updates.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

It is possible to update the app without having updated your speaker.  To make sure do the following:

-Open Sonos app

-go to settings

-select system

-select system updates

-select check for updates

-edit - some of the other guys beat me to it.  Sorry for the repeat!

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is possible to update the app without having updated your speaker.  To make sure do the following:

-Open Sonos app

-go to settings

-select system

-select system updates

Thanks all:) I has straight away updated by checking system updates so I guess I am all good.

Userlevel 1
Badge

-Open Sonos app

-go to settings

-select system

-select system updates

Thanks all:) I has straight away updated by checking system updates so I guess I am all good.

Sorry for my bad prose..