Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies
We've determined there to be an issue with Dolby Digital playback devices (including the Sonos PLAYBAR) and Samsung televisions in the JS and JU series. An example of a TV model number of this line would be the Samsung UN55JS8500. The optical output from these televisions doesn't pass a consistent signal to devices wired in through that connection. This could present when you're watching any Dolby Digital content through the TV's optical connection.

As a workaround if you're using one of these TVs, you can set the output of the TV to PCM (Stereo). There isn't any issue currently with that TV streaming stereo content to the PLAYBAR through the optical. Otherwise, you can look into using a different device. Some suggestions for setups and community recommended devices can be found here on our megathread.

We are working with Samsung on this issue, but there isn't currently a timeframe for a resolution. We'll update you as soon as there are any further details.

Because of the nature of this issue, we've added these televisions to our PLAYBAR Compatibility page which can be found here.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 November 2017, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Userlevel 4
Or something that cleans up the optical signal like this?
https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-iPurifier-Digital-Optical-Filter/dp/B01KKFTM5S/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AQ3041BC7Z5ARM1879QD

I put an iFi SPDIF iPurifier inline between my KS9000 and Playbar running Sonos v7.4* at the start of September, and I have not had a single one of these dropouts since.

It's ugly, it's expensive, it was fiddly to install and hide properly, and I was incredibly skeptical since most stuff advertised like this is a scam, e.g. oxygen-free network cables. But I am not price-sensitive and I was willing to try anything to resolve this issue.

Now, you must bear in mind I am one single data point, so there is no statistical significance to my experience. But I have had no dropouts since installing it in September. Of course, that could be correlated to the change in seasons, or a bump in Samsung software, or simply that in the course of installation I moved some cabling around and reseated all the connectors. (I had tried those things already, of course.)

If you can try one for free, or have a friendly local hifi store that'll refund if it doesn't help, I recommend giving it a go.

(NB: don't believe for a moment any of the typical audiophile snake oil claims some people write about it. this device will not transform your perception of music. you will not be dazzled by sonic rainbow unicorns. all I can say is, this problem went away at exactly the same time I installed it)

* (upgraded to 8.0 in October)
Very interesting. I had a feeling it would work.
I use one with my JS9000 and Apple TV and I get better sound quality for music. Richer and fuller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone,

We've been testing the firmware of these TVs with some of you and have verified that the Dolby handling issues of the past with these TVs have come back as of software version 1510. We're going to work with Samsung to see about sorting out the issue, but we've been able to replicate the cut out issues on both Sonos hardware and other soundbars too. The PLAYBAR has gotten better at handling poor audio signals in recent updates, so this issue is less noticeable than before, but it's happening.

You can verify the installed firmware version by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, and then highlight Software Update.

For workarounds, while they sort out the firmware, you can either bypass the audio coming from those JS/JU model TVs by plugging your Sonos directly into the source, or an HDMI switcher, or go into the TV settings and set the audio format to PCM instead of Dolby Digital.

I'll let you know here when we've gotten confirmation that the software has been updated.
Badge
Hi everyone,

We've been testing the firmware of these TVs with some of you and have verified that the Dolby handling issues of the past with these TVs have come back as of software version 1510. We're going to work with Samsung to see about sorting out the issue, but we've been able to replicate the cut out issues on both Sonos hardware and other soundbars too. The PLAYBAR has gotten better at handling poor audio signals in recent updates, so this issue is less noticeable than before, but it's happening.

You can verify the installed firmware version by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, and then highlight Software Update.

For workarounds, while they sort out the firmware, you can either bypass the audio coming from those JS/JU model TVs by plugging your Sonos directly into the source, or an HDMI switcher, or go into the TV settings and set the audio format to PCM instead of Dolby Digital.

I'll let you know here when we've gotten confirmation that the software has been updated.

Are you aware of dolby issues with new LG UJ models? I have multiple issues with playbar on brand new LG 55UJ701V unless on PCM. This is with internal apps and Sky Q. Skipping, distortion/clipping etc
There is no point in considering Sonos home theater products until they have HDMI and support modern formats. This is getting beyond ridiculous, especially for the price.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've forgotten about this thread. Just updated Sonos to 8.2.2. Samsung is 1510. It drops out A LOT now.

Back to PCM we go.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Don't understand why this thread has a solution which is not the solution...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Right? The difference between PCM and DD is pretty noticeable, which makes it an awful solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Don't understand why this thread has a solution which is not the solution...
The solution is marked so that it's at the top of the thread, it's really the only way to have it be that visible and not get lost in the comments. We're still working with Samsung, but I believe there's a firmware update that fixes the issue, it may not be live just yet though. I'll let you know what I hear.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Well, DirecTV pushed a new update now and I'm having INSANE amounts of dropouts in Bitstream and Dolby channels.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi! I have AGAIN sound cutting with my Playbar and my smart tv Samsung UE65JU7080!! Please help me!! Diagnostic : 8499600. Software of my TV : 1520
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi! I have AGAIN sound cutting with my Playbar and my smart tv Samsung UE65JU7080!! Please help me!! Diagnostic : 8499600. Software of my TV : 1520
Ryan S??? Where are you? I need help please!! I'ts not normal that I have to listen to TV on Stereo to dont' have cutting sound on Dolby Digital!!
We've been testing the firmware of these TVs with some of you and have verified that the Dolby handling issues of the past with these TVs have come back as of software version 1510.

We have a customer with a UE48JU7000 which has had issues with Dolby Digital via Optical since firmware 1510. The current firmware release appears to be 1530.1 (23rd March 2018) - does anyone have any indication for whether this has solved this regression?