Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Userlevel 4
Not just live TV. We get the dropouts in video playing from the Samsung Netflix and Plex apps on the KS9000. Curiously, though, not from PS4 or Apple TV (i.e. from HDMI inputs) although we use them far less frequently. Whether that is a useful data point or simply a statistical aberration, I cannot say.
Revising this. Got dropouts whilst playing through Dishonored 2 on the PS4 today. Showed up after a few hours of playing, then occurred every couple of minutes until I said "screw this" and power-cycled the stack, which removed the condition. So it is both onboard and HDMI audio sources.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm almost ready to stick our cheaper LG in the living room and take the Samsung upstairs. But that Samsung was a couple thousand bucks, 4k UHD, and has a beautiful picture.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you're experiencing the dropouts repeatedly, then it might be helpful to Sonos to submit some diagnostic reports from your system and post the confirmation numbers here. Sonos can review those and hopefully lead to a next step in getting the issue resolved, whatever that next step might be. Make sure to post what you were watching (HDMI input, local OTA channel, smart app, etc.) along with your confirmation number(s).
Userlevel 1
Badge
The problem HAS been isolated. Samsung optical output sometimes sends garbage packets. The Sonos cannot rectify them and drops out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I have a Samsung 65JU6000, so the low end model in the Samsung TV line-up. I only very rarely experience the sound drop-out on my Sonos 5.1 setup (Playbar, Sub & 2 Play:1s). When I first bought the TV in May 2016, the dropouts were more frequent (probably averaging one brief pause every two hours). Subsequent firmware updates on the TV seem to have mostly eradicated the issue for me. The dropouts have not stopped completely, but it is very infrequent, maybe once every 10 or more hours of viewing. This is whether watching using the Netflix or Amazon Prime Video apps on the TV, or an Apple TV4 connected via HDMI. The TV is used for a couple of hours most days. I’m not sure why the cheapest model in the Samsung TV range seems to be less prone to the problem than their higher-end TVs, but the issue is infrequent enough that it doesn’t bother me.
I have followed this thread now for a while because I had issues with my JU6850 and its optical out signal leading to second long cutouts every couple of seconds when streaming 5.1 sound. I tried all kinds of setups, ARC converters, optical switches, you name it. Nothing helped.
The only thing that did help was to take it off the mains for a couple of minutes and plugging it back in to restart the Playbar. I noticed this solving the issue, since the cutouts started again after a Sonos firmware update. Before it seemed like I solved the issue with an ARC converter. The only other thing that changed before installing the converter was unplugging the power cord to rearrange the cables.
So I tried the unplugging again, this time even without the converter (Direct TV toslink to Playbar connection) and voila, after leaving it off for a couple of minutes and restarting it, it solved the problem. Stable sound without cutouts for a couple of days now with 5.1, 2.0 and Stereo, Samsung optical output mode set to Dolby Digital.
I hope this will work for the one or the other, for me it seemed like it was a Playbar rather than a Samsung issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Keep us updated.... I found the latest Sonos software and latest Samsung firmware have been better. I can go a few days before I get a drop. But then it'll drop out right during a dramatic moment in my favorite show and I want to scream.
There was one dropout yesterday over a timespan of four hours. But since i had cutouts every few seconds before, i can live with once every couple of hours.
Also i believe that the root cause for this is different and the unbearable cutout issue was solved with the reboot. Ill keep you posted as soon as anything changes!

//edit: cutouts again and I believe I singled out the issue. I had the Playbar grouped to my other two speakers. As soon as the living room is ungrouped, the cutouts stop! That also explains why I thought it was caused by the reboot. The Playbar ungrouped after reboot. Slightly inconvenient, but better ungrouped than with cutouts. It was nice to listen to the news in the kitchen while cooking. Anyone else observing the same?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've never had my Playbar grouped to my remote speakers unless listening to music.

The problem with these cutouts is you think they're gone, then they start happening again out of the blue.
Badge
Bought a JS8500 (55") early last year and I've been closely paying attention to this thread ever since then as I couldn't wait to upgrade from my old entry-level HT 5.1 system. I finally resorted to buy a Q Acoustics M4 just last week - this issue with the JS8500 series obviously won't ever be resolved once and for all. Putting all my hopes now on the Playbar2 - whenever it comes out.
I've never had my Playbar grouped to my remote speakers unless listening to music.

The problem with these cutouts is you think they're gone, then they start happening again out of the blue.

Update after two weeks: no cutouts with the ungrouped play and cutouts as soon as I group one other speaker. Definitely worth a try for those with a similar setup.
Badge
So basically, the solution is to "downgrade" from 5.x to 3.x?

Update after two weeks: no cutouts with the ungrouped play and cutouts as soon as I group one other speaker. Definitely worth a try for those with a similar setup.
[quote=ReggieD]So basically, the solution is to "downgrade" from 5.x to 3.x?

No, what I mean is the ungrouping of other speakers in other rooms. Not the surround speakers!
Badge
So are we concluding that everyone who ever reported this issue had their Playbar grouped to speakers outside of their HT setup?

[quote=uncledave]So basically, the solution is to "downgrade" from 5.x to 3.x?

No, what I mean is the ungrouping of other speakers in other rooms. Not the surround speakers!
[quote=ReggieD]So are we concluding that everyone who ever reported this issue had their Playbar grouped to speakers outside of their HT setup?

[quote=uncledave][quote=ReggieD]

Not at all, just that the issue dissappeared for me after doing so and I wanted to share this here so that others with the same setup can test this and see if it solves their problem. I'm sure there are multiple root causes for the same issue, in my case the ungrouping solved it.
Userlevel 4
Not at all, just that the issue dissappeared for me after doing so and I wanted to share this here so that others with the same setup can test this and see if it solves their problem. I'm sure there are multiple root causes for the same issue, in my case the ungrouping solved it.
I'm predicting you'll be back in a few days/weeks to say "Oh actually it's happening again".
Very possible. Probably after a firmware update
Badge
Any updates to this issue? I seem to have more frequent and longer drop-outs now with the latest Samsung firmware and updated Sonos software.
Here still no dropouts when ungrouped, dropouts when grouped with other speakers. Didn't see any updates though. Which version for TV and Playbar?
Badge
This has gotten much worse for me in the last 6 weeks or so.

TV Model: Samsung UN55JU7100
TV Software: 1467
Sonos: 7.1 (Build 341637101)
Diagnostics: 7160631
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've given up, El Jefe. It's too bad I spent $2500 on this TV, I'd replace it with an LG OLED or something if I had my money back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I haven't heard any big updates on this one lately but if you haven't yet, it'd be great to take a look at this live with one of our technicians. They'll be able to collect some details and if needed forward them on.
Badge

I haven't heard any big updates on this one lately but if you haven't yet, it'd be great to take a look at this live with one of our technicians. They'll be able to collect some details and if needed forward them on.

Ryan, thank you for the reply. Last night I had 4-5 drops during Homeland that were about 3 seconds long. Before, they were much shorter (around 1-2 seconds). In response, I made a change to my network configuration that I'm hoping may clear this issue up. I'm going to give it a few days and see if it improves. If it doesn't, I will contact a technician and see if we can troubleshoot.
Badge
Hello Ryan,

Now that PLAYBASE has been officially announced - can you confirm whether audio drops are to be expected with JS/JU TV models?

I created a thread specifically on that topic: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/samsung-jsju-model-tvs-with-playbase-6765842

I'm a UN55JS8500 owner and I'm very eager to join the Sonos users community.

Thank you.

The problem HAS been isolated. Samsung optical output sometimes sends garbage packets. The Sonos cannot rectify them and drops out.

if that is true then how is it non-Sonos devices don't have this issue when connected by optical to a Samsung TV?
I've had a high end Yamaha Soundbar and now Kef LS 50 wireless speakers connected to the optical on my JS9000 and neither of these have this issue. If Samsung had this issue with all other devices it would be very widely known.
That's why I wonder if the Playbase will have this issue or if Sonos has a fix in that devices optical connection.