Answered

Improved Height Channel Audio on Sonos Arc

• 27 January 2022
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 7

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in the height channel audio when listening to Dolby Atmos content on the Arc? I was watching some Dolby Atmos demos and listening to music last night, and the height channel effects sounded so much better than it ever has. The audio from above was clearer and more defined, and I heard sound effects that I never heard before. I wonder if the latest 14.0 update has anything to do with this.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 January 2022, 09:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Funny, I was doing the exact same thing last night and thought the same.  Can I be sure it’s different?  No.  But it did seem like the height effects were . . . uhhh . . . heightened.

Userlevel 7

My ears are definitely not deceiving me. Whatever adjustments Sonos made on the Arc recently, it has improved the height channel effects tremendously. Nice work, Sonos.

@James L. Can you confirm these adjustments and if they were part of the 14.0 update?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in the height channel audio when listening to Dolby Atmos content on the Arc? I was watching some Dolby Atmos demos and listening to music last night, and the height channel effects sounded so much better than it ever has. The audio from above was clearer and more defined, and I heard sound effects that I never heard before. I wonder if the latest 14.0 update has anything to do with this.

Funny, I was doing the exact same thing last night and thought the same.  Can I be sure it’s different?  No.  But it did seem like the height effects were . . . uhhh . . . heightened.

Interesting what do you have the height channel set to?

Mines on +4, I just put it to that based on feedback back when it was introduced, might need to lower it if its improved in V14 though.

Interesting what do you have the height channel set to?

Mines on +4, I just put it to that based on feedback back when it was introduced, might need to lower it if its improved in V14 though.

Mine is Trueplay tuned and set to ‘0’.  Mind you, I have 9’ flat ceilings and sit 11 feet from the Arc, which is in a good range. 

Userlevel 7

@ledzep1 I have had mine set to +6. I have 8-foot ceilings and sit about 6-8 feet from the Arc. I didn’t need to lower it after the 14.0 update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@ledzep1 I have had mine set to +6. I have 8-foot ceilings and sit about 6-8 feet from the Arc. I didn’t need to lower it after the 14.0 update.

I will leave it at +4 then, I have quite high ceilings as well. Will need to dig out some atmos movies that show off the height channels more.

Never heard any height effects to date, even at +10  just gets louder overall. Sonos app shows Dolby Atmos is being received. Tried most of the recommended movies Netflix Apple TV Disney+ 4K UHD discs via Panasonic DP-UB 820 player. Arc sited on console 2ft high, 8ft ceiling  MLP 6ft 6inches away. Full system Arc/ Sub/one rears/LG C1 OLED/AppleTV/Panasonic disc player all connected by Belkin 4K HDMI cables.Any suggestions?

Userlevel 7

Never heard any height effects to date, even at +10  just gets louder overall. Sonos app shows Dolby Atmos is being received. Tried most of the recommended movies Netflix Apple TV Disney+ 4K UHD discs via Panasonic DP-UB 820 player. Arc sited on console 2ft high, 8ft ceiling  MLP 6ft 6inches away. Full system Arc/ Sub/one rears/LG C1 OLED/AppleTV/Panasonic disc player all connected by Belkin 4K HDMI cables.Any suggestions?

If you have a Netflix premium subscription, test the film Roma at around the 1:03:25 mark. For the next few minutes you should clearly hear the trees burning/crackling above you.

Are your ceilings flat and without obstructions? What Dolby Atmos Blu-ray discs do you own?

Thanks for replying, yes Netflix premium tried Roma sound comes from front of soundstage similar story with Wandering Earth sparks.Sonos App reports Dolby Atmos being received but no height heard. Dolby Atmos Blu-ray Discs as follows  Saving Private Ryan/Blackhawk Down/Blade Runner/Everest/Unforgiven/Apocalypse Now/The Patriot/Venom/Hacksaw Ridge/War Of The Worlds/Blade/13 Hours/Interstellar, again no height sounds heard.Have run Trueplay multiple times without improvement ( App version 14.2 ) and yes my ceiling is flat no obstructions, clad with dense glossy hardwood panels. Excellent 5.1 sound effects but my “Sound Bubble” is flat to date.Given the considerable cost and care taken I feel some disappointment overall.

Userlevel 7

@peta Make sure the settings on your TV are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: On

FYI… I don’t think Unforgiven and Interstellar have a Dolby Atmos audio track but the other films you listed do.

Sorry, my mistake but I also have Top Gun. TV settings exactly as you say but if App reports Dolby Atmos signal the settings are unlikely to be wrong or it would say Dolby 5.1/PCM/True sound or some such. I have searched the Web and tried various ideas ie tilting the Arc forwards ( Peter Pee) turning loudness off etc without improvement. It would be interesting to conduct a Poll on this Community as to how many get any height effects. After 8 month of use I so far conclude for me at least I am chasing Unicorns. Any further suggestions?

Userlevel 7

@peta Very strange. I have a similar setup as you with the Arc placed on a media console 2 feet high with a flat 8-foot ceiling and a MLP around 6 feet away from the Arc. I also use an Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, and Panasonic DP-UB820. I can hear VERY discrete height channel effects from Dolby Atmos sources. And as I posted above, the height effects have improved and are even more noticeable than before.

You might consider redoing the TV Setup process in the Sonos app:

Disconnect all of your devices including the Arc from the TV. Unplug the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them both back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Simplink is enabled in your TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app, and when the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. When the Arc has been successfully connected, connect your other devices to the TV. Make sure the TV settings are set to this:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: On

And test the Roma clip again.

If your TV or streaming device can play MP4 files via USB, go here:

https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones_5_1_2.mp4

Go to the three dots on the lower right, choose ‘Download’.  Get that file onto a USB, and connect it to the TV.  The individual tones sent to each speaker will let you know if your Atmos speakers are actually working. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Blade runner 2049 and 300 is one of the best Dolby arrowsatmos tracks I’ve ever heard especially when the arrows will blot out the sun seen you can feel the arrows coming from everywhere..

Thank you GuitarSuperstar will try your suggestions but as the Arc App always reports Atmos when Atmos content is played I do not expect any major changes. Do you think a diagnostic report to Sonos worthwhile? Living in Ireland with its antique power supply system cuts are common and so everything has reset a good few times over in 8 months of use.

Update, reset all as per advice and updated Sonos App to 14.3. Tried Roma again and noticed an improvement. Some height now but my God its subtle even at +10 but hey its better. Do you think leaving the height setting at +10 will harm non Atmos content? Also submitted diagnostic report to Sonos to see what they say. Unfortunately I cannot do the MP4 thing but thanks any help resolving my problem. Will now check other Atmos content and will get back to you.

Userlevel 7

Update, reset all as per advice and updated Sonos App to 14.3. Tried Roma again and noticed an improvement. Some height now but my God its subtle even at +10 but hey its better. Do you think leaving the height setting at +10 will harm non Atmos content? Also submitted diagnostic report to Sonos to see what they say. Unfortunately I cannot do the MP4 thing but thanks any help resolving my problem. Will now check other Atmos content and will get back to you.

The height audio level has no effect on non-Dolby Atmos content since the upward-firing drivers are only used when playing Dolby Atmos audio.

From your MLP, +10 is probably too loud. I keep the height audio level set at +6. But experiment with the setting. Start at 0 and move it to +10 and listen for the difference. Then try different levels in between 0 and +10 until it sounds balanced with the rest of the drivers in the Arc and the surround speakers.

If you have an Apple TV 4K and an iPhone, you should be able to AirPlay the Dolby Atmos Test Tones file from your iPhone to the Apple TV, and it should play in Dolby Atmos. Check the Sonos app to verify.

https://download.dolby.com/us/en/test-tones/dolby-test-tones_5_1_2.mp4

Here are a couple of more Dolby Atmos trailers you can test with:

http://media.developer.dolby.com/Atmos/MP4/Universe_Fury2.mp4

http://media.developer.dolby.com/Atmos/MP4/shattered-3Mb.mp4

Thanks again, yes I have Apple TV 4K + iPhone 12 so will try this. Tested Roma at various levels but could not hear any height below +10 at all even at very high volume levels ( I have good hearing in both ears). Tried a few 4K discs with reportedly good Atmos height effects, but like Roma a glimmer here or there at best. Are my expectations too high? (pun)  Do you find 4K discs getting harder to find now and increasingly glitchy?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I dunno, without physical speakers on the ceiling, my expectations are pretty muted. I do find that Atmos tracks on the Arc have a bit more dimension to them, but I've never really noticed specific sounds overhead. 

I mean if you're really after perfect dimensionality and soundstage, than I would have thought separates would be a better bet than a soundbar, regardless of what Sonos or any soundbar manufacturer says.

Hi, inclined to agree, tried most of the Atmos content on Apple TV/Netflix/Disney+. Spatial Improvement over standard 5.1 for sure, height maybe a suspicion here and there but could be wishful thinking given my investment. Similar results with 4K UHD Atmos movies recommended for good height effects by many reviewers. And yes I am aware manufacturers always over hype their products but I did expect to hear something!. Remain disappointed given others on here with similar sized rooms report good height sounds, some even saying they need to reduce the height volume for fear of overbalancing the sound! I wish!! 

Overall the Atmos content that I’m discovering is not stunningly game changing. When you think of an actual concert experience we don’t normally have instruments hanging in the air or flying overhead. Action movies, of course, can be in a different league. I’m not sure what it means when legacy content, such as The Beatles and other 60’s content is reissued in Atoms because this was recorded prior to Atmos being a concept. Certainly, the new release could take advantage of better processing of the original master tape, but 3D effects would not be part of the original tape.

That said, there could be opportunities. For example large concert halls might have a pipe organ that occupies all or most of the stage (floor to ceiling) behind the orchestra and Atmos could capture this dimension. I’m also noticing some of the legacy remixes will pull out some instruments to the rear channels, probably attempting to simulate the listener being central to the session, rather than seeming to observe the session through a window using stereo speakers.

I use what I call the “next room” observation to evaluate how “real” the presentation sounds.  In almost all cases if you listen to an audio system, from the next room, regardless of its pedigree, it simply sounds like a nice stereo in the next room. I’ve been down the hall and around the corner from a world class concert hall stage and there is no question about the music being “real or Memorex”. Turned around, standing outside the concertmaster’s suite, it was very obvious that there was a nice stereo system inside. I can recall waling down a city street and remarking that there was a live band down the street. Ultimately I walked past a bar and a small group was playing inside with the doors and windows closed. I’ve also had a few experiences with recordings made using experimental 3D microphone techniques and there was an intriguing “next room” experience. The playback equipment was nothing spectacular.

Atmos holds promise, but we’ll need more recording experience before being able to take full advantage.

Using different recording and processing techniques, we don’t need a zillion speakers to provide a 3D experience.

Here is a thoughtful discussion.

And, if you’d like some test tones to play with try these

Userlevel 7

I wish I could invite everyone on this thread over to my house and listen to Dolby Atmos films and music in my living room. I truly believe what I am hearing from my Arc/Sub/Play:1s setup is game changing.

Last night, I was listening to the songs “Harridan” and “Of the New Day” from Porcupine Tree in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music. Hearing the different parts of the songs above me and all around me was a truly immersive and satisfying experience. Listening to the stereo mix of the same songs was flat and lifeless in comparison.

I was also fortunate enough to get one of the limited edition copies of the new Tears for Fears album on Blu-ray with a Dolby Atmos mix. The mix sounds so good on my Arc that it is difficult for me to listen to the album on any other format. FYI, both the Porcupine Tree songs and Tears for Fears album was mixed by Steven Wilson who is considered to be one of the best 5.1/Dolby Atmos mixers in the world.

I watched the film Dune for the first time on Blu-ray last weekend, and it has a stunning, reference quality Dolby Atmos track with clear height effects throughout the film.

So I think much of the Dolby Atmos listening experience on the Arc will not only depend on your room setup and finding that sweet spot for your primary listening position, but also your source. The examples I mentioned above are top-tier Dolby Atmos sources. If you can find/acquire Atmos sources with the best, most discrete mixes, your listening experience should greatly improve.

I believe others when they say they hear height, my problem is I don't. Would agree source material is important but I want to watch movies not demo’s. Have Dune 2021 on order and will report back but am not hopeful as every other “ recommended “ movie so far has been disappointing. Of course rooms are important, but mine and M.L.P match closely to others reporting good height which remains a mystery to me.

Userlevel 7

@peta Try moving your MLP to 7.5 feet away from the Arc rather than 6.5 feet and see if you notice a difference.

Hi thanks for the above suggestion. MLP started at 8 ft when first installed moving forward in 6 inch increments retuning each time finally arriving at 6 ft 6 inch. Never once heard much in the way of height, maybe a suspicion here and there but that's it. As for Dune 2021, watched on 4K UHD disc last evening, with 2 other persons present. Great 5.1 sound track I admit but nothing heard from above from start to finish by anyone in the room. As its unlikely we are all deaf I can only conclude there's nothing there to hear!  Will probably move the MLP backwards in the future as I feel too close at present to the TV.screen for comfortable viewing. Thanks again for your help.