If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As an update to my post: The motherboard was replaced on my B7V, however, it did not solve the issue with lipsync 😕 maximum of -5 was closest though still not in sync. I will now wait for feedback from LG on next steps.

Another update. I was told I will have another mainboard replacement next week after five calls to LG since the first replacement (four this week!). I'm sad to say my patience with LGs customer support is worn thin at this point due to lack of following up as promised (and the unresolved issue). I can understand that they aren't magicians, but calling a customer back as promised does not require witchcraft, only a phone. Hope they can cook up a mainboard that resolves the issue so I can focus on enjoying content instead of this s....

Due to more poor experience with LGs support and no service in sight I have now forwarded all my written communication with LG and a final summary of the calls with LG to the sales channel with a copy to LG and asked for a complete refund/return of the TV. I will call the consumer rights authorities later today for advice. LG have been aware of the issue with my product now for two months next week without resolving it. Completely unacceptable.
As an update to my post: The motherboard was replaced on my B7V, however, it did not solve the issue with lipsync 😕 maximum of -5 was closest though still not in sync. I will now wait for feedback from LG on next steps.
Since I have the new motherboard I disabled lip sync on my TV...
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
a new motherboard really fixes this issues on LG Oleds?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

NO! Lipsync issue with Dolby digital 5.1 content over PrimeVideo and two different HDMI sources.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Since I have the new motherboard I disabled lip sync on my TV...

I tested all variations of the settings. Problem with lipsync was not solved by replacing the board.
Hi everyone.

Like most people, i wish i had read this thread prior to purchasing my Beam.

I have an LG OLED B8, it's about a month old, and i find that when i connect my Beam through ARC, all external devices are generating about 250ms of audio lag behind the video when those devices send Dolby Digital 5.1. I've tested a PS3, AppleTV (2nd gen), and Xbox One X. I'm getting a PS4 Pro next week so i could test that too, but honestly they all have exactly the same amount of lag, so i think there is no point.

I've also changed the audio settings on all of those devices to send a Stereo signal instead of Dolby, and watched as lag improved to near perfect on all 3 devices. However, I don't think it sounds as good. I'm not looking for perfection here (although it would be nice), but 250ms is just too much IMO. If it were sub-100ms, then i'd probably not be writing this post.

All internal apps on the TV, such as Netflix, Youtube, etc. output to the Beam via ARC with no delay.

I'm inclined to believe that it is an LG problem... but if that's true, wouldn't ALL soundbars and receivers experience the same delay over ARC? wouldn't that render OLED ARC basically borked??? Yes, I could get an optical splitter, but the main draw of this Sonos Beam was it's ease of use and the ability to use ARC seamlessly. That has not been the case.

I'm driven mostly out of curiosity at this point to find out what the heck is going on. Sadly, the Beam is going to have to go back. I like the sound, but for $400, I don't think that amount of lag over ARC is acceptable. My preference is to buy a new device that will not have any lag over ARC, but does such a device exist???? I'll do some research, but please let me know if you have found a solution that works.

If anyone else has had issues with ExternalDeviceSendingDolbyDigital5.1->OLED->ARC->Sonos Beam, and found that another device didn't cause any audio delay, I would love to know. Also, I'll report back with any new info i'm able to gather.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi everyone.

Like most people, i wish i had read this thread prior to purchasing my Beam.

I have an LG OLED B8, it's about a month old, and i find that when i connect my Beam through ARC, all external devices are generating about 250ms of audio lag behind the video when those devices send Dolby Digital 5.1. I've tested a PS3, AppleTV (2nd gen), and Xbox One X. I'm getting a PS4 Pro next week so i could test that too, but honestly they all have exactly the same amount of lag, so i think there is no point.

I've also changed the audio settings on all of those devices to send a Stereo signal instead of Dolby, and watched as lag improved to near perfect on all 3 devices. However, I don't think it sounds as good. I'm not looking for perfection here (although it would be nice), but 250ms is just too much IMO. If it were sub-100ms, then i'd probably not be writing this post.

All internal apps on the TV, such as Netflix, Youtube, etc. output to the Beam via ARC with no delay.

I'm inclined to believe that it is an LG problem... but if that's true, wouldn't ALL soundbars and receivers experience the same delay over ARC? wouldn't that render OLED ARC basically borked??? Yes, I could get an optical splitter, but the main draw of this Sonos Beam was it's ease of use and the ability to use ARC seamlessly. That has not been the case.

I'm driven mostly out of curiosity at this point to find out what the heck is going on. Sadly, the Beam is going to have to go back. I like the sound, but for $400, I don't think that amount of lag over ARC is acceptable. My preference is to buy a new device that will not have any lag over ARC, but does such a device exist???? I'll do some research, but please let me know if you have found a solution that works.

If anyone else has had issues with ExternalDeviceSendingDolbyDigital5.1->OLED->ARC->Sonos Beam, and found that another device didn't cause any audio delay, I would love to know. Also, I'll report back with any new info i'm able to gather.

If you want to investigate further try audio directly from source. The beam has optical and HDMI? Send the picture to the TV and run audio directly from source to Sonos. I had the same lipsync issue with Amazon PrimeVideo internal app for 5.1 content on the TV as source as well. First episode of Man in the high castle confirmed the issue for me.

For my B7V the TV is the source of the problem. A Sony FullHD 40" model does not show any of the issues with the same setup. Best of luck!

If you want to investigate further try audio directly from source. The beam has optical and HDMI? Send the picture to the TV and run audio directly from source to Sonos. I had the same lipsync issue with Amazon PrimeVideo internal app for 5.1 content on the TV as source as well. First episode of Man in the high castle confirmed the issue for me.

For my B7V the TV is the source of the problem. A Sony FullHD 40" model does not show any of the issues with the same setup. Best of luck!

Yep. I did do that by routing optical directly from my Xbox to the Beam. The lag was fixed. But therein lies the problem... Beam as one input. I have multiple devices. I’d have to buy a switch thus negating the convenience of the Beam. I’d be better off buying a soundbar or receiver with multiple inputs.
Hi all - unfortunately, I'm back again with a lip sync issue between my Sonos system (Playbase + Sonos 1 surrounds) and an LG C8 TV. I use my Apple TV 4k for all content, and it seems to work well for most services (Netflix, HBO, Hulu). But I recently purchased some content through iTunes (movie and TV series), and there is a serious sync issue (audio is behind the video).

Bruce had previously recommended me the Flexson HDMI switch: https://www.amazon.com/Flexson-3-Input-Converter-PLAYBAR-PLAYBASE/dp/B06W5QJW9T but in an Amazon review, someone is saying it doesn't support 4K content (no HDCP 2.2 support).

I'd really like to be able to watch the highest quality content I can (including 4K content) - so wanted to see if someone could recommend a good HDMI switch for me that might be able to resolve this sync issue. (Is it true that there is a built-in delay of somewhere between 25-35ms with Sonos - is it possible I'm just noticing this delay, and if so, is there a way to remove that?)

Thanks!
Have you checked on Amazon for such a device?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi all - unfortunately, I'm back again with a lip sync issue between my Sonos system (Playbase + Sonos 1 surrounds) and an LG C8 TV. I use my Apple TV 4k for all content, and it seems to work well for most services (Netflix, HBO, Hulu). But I recently purchased some content through iTunes (movie and TV series), and there is a serious sync issue (audio is behind the video).

Bruce had previously recommended me the Flexson HDMI switch: https://www.amazon.com/Flexson-3-Input-Converter-PLAYBAR-PLAYBASE/dp/B06W5QJW9T but in an Amazon review, someone is saying it doesn't support 4K content (no HDCP 2.2 support).

I'd really like to be able to watch the highest quality content I can (including 4K content) - so wanted to see if someone could recommend a good HDMI switch for me that might be able to resolve this sync issue. (Is it true that there is a built-in delay of somewhere between 25-35ms with Sonos - is it possible I'm just noticing this delay, and if so, is there a way to remove that?)

Thanks!

thats odd, I have a 4k apple tv and its the only thing that I dont get audio delay from? I even have itunes movies and shows, but I am using the beam over arc with a 2017 65" b7 oled. Did you set your apple tv to force dolby digital?

Thanks!

thats odd, I have a 4k apple tv and its the only thing that I dont get audio delay from? I even have itunes movies and shows, but I am using the beam over arc with a 2017 65" b7 oled. Did you set your apple tv to force dolby digital?

I agree - very odd. I have set the TV to force Dolby Digital. 😞. Interesting you have iTunes movies and shows, too, and it seems to be working OK?

NO! Lipsync issue with Dolby digital 5.1 content over PrimeVideo and two different HDMI sources.

Then you might have different issues. If the lipsync issues only occur over HDMI sources a new motherboard fixes them.
Badge

Then you might have different issues. If the lipsync issues only occur over HDMI sources a new motherboard fixes them.
Badge
I beg to differ. I have had two attempts to fix the audio delay on my B7, both replacing the main board. Neither have worked and I have now reached the end of the road with LG. I am returning the TV for a refund and will try another brand, and probably not OLED for now. Shame really as the picture was stunning. However LG have been so poor at helping I am happy to be leaving them behind.
I don’t believe a fix for this issue actually exists
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Anyone giving up an OLED screen over this issue is crazy. I don't know how anyone could adjust back to anything else after experiencing OLED. The picture is that good.

Yes, LG and Sonos support has been p**s poor on this issue, and I believe both companies are to blame. However, just buy an optical splitter and a harmony remote and program it to change inputs automatically when changing sources and be done with it. You don't need to worry about the Apple TV 4K not having an optical output as it will not have a lip sync issue if you connect it directly to the TV and force Dolby Digital 5.1 in it's settings.

Your cable box, PS4, Xbox One etc can all be connected via optical cable directly to the splitter. This will take you all of an hour or so to setup, you don't need to worry about losing any picture quality as the picture is still travelling over HDMI directly to the TV, and you will actually gain Dolby Digital 5.1 if you have a PS4 and play Blu Ray's, as it will only transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical.

Once again, if you buy a Harmony remote you can program it so you wont even realise the optical switching is happening, other than the harmony possibly taking an extra second or so when changing activities.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks!

I agree - very odd. I have set the TV to force Dolby Digital. 😞. Interesting you have iTunes movies and shows, too, and it seems to be working OK?

Palico,

Just to be clear, have you set the TV to force Dolby Digital or the Apple TV 4K to force Dolby Digital 5.1? You specifically need to do this in the Apple TV 4K settings. Nothing at all to do with the TV itself.

Thanks!

Palico,

Just to be clear, have you set the TV to force Dolby Digital or the Apple TV 4K to force Dolby Digital 5.1? You specifically need to do this in the Apple TV 4K settings. Nothing at all to do with the TV itself.

Hi, yes, forced to Dolby Digital 5.1. There’s still a slight delay where the audio is behind the video. If I switch to PCM on the LG, everything syncs up perfectly. Do you think an optical splitter would help?
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks!

Palico,

Hi, yes, forced to Dolby Digital 5.1. There’s still a slight delay where the audio is behind the video. If I switch to PCM on the LG, everything syncs up perfectly. Do you think an optical splitter would help?

An Optical switcher will help with any device that has an optical output. The Apple TV 4K doesn't, so it will not be able to be connected via an optical switcher. The Apple TV 4K should not be experiencing this issue however. I would give apple a call to troubleshoot, especially as it's only happening on itunes content.
I’m noticing a slight delay on some Netflix content too. Would it help if I recorded a video of the issue and linked to it?

I think I might just be very susceptible to the audio delay. But I do see a difference when switching to PCM vs Auto on the LG tv.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Another update. I was told I will have another mainboard replacement next week after five calls to LG since the first replacement (four this week!). I'm sad to say my patience with LGs customer support is worn thin at this point due to lack of following up as promised (and the unresolved issue). I can understand that they aren't magicians, but calling a customer back as promised does not require witchcraft, only a phone. Hope they can cook up a mainboard that resolves the issue so I can focus on enjoying content instead of this s....

Due to more poor experience with LGs support and no service in sight I have now forwarded all my written communication with LG and a final summary of the calls with LG to the sales channel with a copy to LG and asked for a complete refund/return of the TV. I will call the consumer rights authorities later today for advice. LG have been aware of the issue with my product now for two months next week without resolving it. Completely unacceptable.

Just to share another update. The TV was returned to the sales channel who forwarded it to their service partner. They again found nothing wrong with the TV. I therefore took the TV home on friday. I started out recording several clips, but found out it would take to long and settled for one to not spend a whole day on it. I made recordings with different audio settings and connections: Xbox One X connected to TV through HDMI, toslink from TV to Sonos Playbar - TV set to bypass, then steps -5 to +1 and finally the last video shows with the Sonos Playbar connected directly to the Xbox One X over toslink. The videos have been shared with the sales channel and I will keep them live until the case is solved through either the sales channel or through the consumer rights body in Norway who have received a complaint on both LG and the sales channel as I see no other option after two months of this nonsense. I am talking in Norwegian but the settings everyone with the TV-set should understand to see if this is comparable to your experiences. https://photos.app.goo.gl/e3RNi9qSkqaixMLV8

Again, my issue is with LG 65OLEDB7V.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I got my Beam today and I am not seeing any lip sync issues.

Devices:
1. OLED65E6P (2016 model) firmware version = 5.30.30 Audio is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical); AV Sync Adjustment is Off
2. Tivo Bolt. Set to output Dolby Digital.
3. Apple TV 4k. I could not modify the audio output setting. It was greyed out.
4. Xbox One X. Set to bitstream and dolby digital
5. Nintendo Switch
6. Super Nintendo Retro Console

The connection between the TV and the Beam is as follows:
OLED65E6P --> 6' Amazon optical cable --> optical coupler --> Sonos HDMI to Optical adapter --> 3' Amazon HDMI cable --> Sonos Beam

The Tivo, AppleTV, Xbox, Nintendos are all are connected to HDMI ports on the OLED65E6P. Just to be clear, I am not using the optical output on any of those devices.

*You may be wondering why I needed the optical cable and coupler. It's because I couldn't run another HDMI cable through the existing holes in my wall. The optical cable was a lot easier to fish through the existing holes. The coupler is a $4 one I got off Amazon. ;)

I did need to manually press the volume up button on the Beam to get it at a level that I liked. It was set very low out of the box. Beam seems to remember the level even after I power off devices, so that's good.

Overall, I am really pleased with the improvement in sound quality. Much better than the built in sound bar that is on the E6P.

You won’t see a delay as the beam is the only Sonos product with a hdmi connection. The issue is worth optical. You need a hdmi switch to solve the problem
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Right. I have an LGB7 and had my beam yesterday. Over hdmi arc and Dolby digital the audio sync problems are there. Nothing can fix it as it’s an issue with lg and processing DD. I turned both the tv and my sky q to output pcm, and the issue completely disappears. I have had dialogue with Sonos and they have told me PCM is no different from DD for the beam, and there is no noticable difference. Can anyone confirm if this is true. If it is I am keeping my beam. If it isn’t, it’s going back!!

With PCM you won’t be able to get 5.1 sound if you decide to purchase orhers speakers to extend your system.

Correct, what is the point spending 100s of dollars only to get pcm? Funny.
Another story of sync woes here. I have a Philips 50PSUS7303. When I output audio to Mulitchannel, the audio lags the video. When I output to stereo it is OK.When I use an HDMI extractor it seems OK.
I had a full AV receiver/Surround sound and replaced it with Sonos, which has proven to be a downgrade in many ways.
It still seems odd that the fault is in the TV end? Across different manufacturers? I am not optimistic for a solution.
Why would that seem odd? You've even proven your case, by using an HDMI extractor. Given that, how could it be anything other than the TV at fault?

And it's possible that all of these manufacturers have purchased the part in question from the same place.